Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Why isn't it even subtitled?

it is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaAY-jAjm0w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
You can click the closed captions button to enable the subtitles.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

holy poo poo they actually implemented liquid metal cooling at scale. it was rumoured since last year but was really hard to believe as it's been in the realm of short-term OC enthusiasts rather than deployed in a consumer product intended to last for years

not surprised at their thermal performance given most of the case is cooling coupled with liquid metal, v nice to see an official teardown as well

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lol the electronics are like literally the size of a sheet of A4 and the rest of the bulk is all cooling system

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
It's great that you can remove the sides without tools. Not only does it mean that there should be some fun aftermarket shells for the console, but also cleaning the inside will be easy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Liquid metal? So every PS5 is a T-1000? He was the bad guy!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fingers crossed that 90% of the box being cooling and cooling accessories means it won’t end up loud and obnoxious as gently caress after a couple of years.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

History Comes Inside! posted:

Fingers crossed that 90% of the box being cooling and cooling accessories means it won’t end up loud and obnoxious as gently caress after a couple of years.

This is literally the only reason to have designed it this way, so...

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I assume nobody knows for sure yet but do we have an idea about the WiFi in the PS5 being better than the PS4?

I know the PSN itself has largely been known for not being the fastest and best network, but I vaguely remember that the PS4 (or maybe the PS3?) had some issues with WiFi because the WiFi stuff was very close to the bluetooth stuff for controllers and they kept interfering with each other or something.

I basically can only use WiFi for my PS4/5 because of how far away they are from my router and poo poo, and it's been pretty annoying so far. It's not unbearable or anything, but the speed difference between my PC on WiFi (around 25 MB/s max) to what I generally get on my PS4 WiFi (around 8 MB/s max if I'm very lucky) is staggering. I'm really hoping the PS5 WiFi is at least a little bit better at utilizing the whole bandwith, especially with the size of games these days.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

abraxas posted:

I assume nobody knows for sure yet but do we have an idea about the WiFi in the PS5 being better than the PS4?

I know the PSN itself has largely been known for not being the fastest and best network, but I vaguely remember that the PS4 (or maybe the PS3?) had some issues with WiFi because the WiFi stuff was very close to the bluetooth stuff for controllers and they kept interfering with each other or something.

I basically can only use WiFi for my PS4/5 because of how far away they are from my router and poo poo, and it's been pretty annoying so far. It's not unbearable or anything, but the speed difference between my PC on WiFi (around 25 MB/s max) to what I generally get on my PS4 WiFi (around 8 MB/s max if I'm very lucky) is staggering. I'm really hoping the PS5 WiFi is at least a little bit better at utilizing the whole bandwith, especially with the size of games these days.

Have you looked into those ethernet over power accessories? Powerlink or something like that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

My god, the subtle, off-white colouring... the tasteful thickness of it...

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Have you looked into those ethernet over power accessories? Powerlink or something like that.

I have one of these because literally everything in my tv stand including the loving tv itself needed a network connection and wifi wasn’t cutting it so I figured I might as well just put a gigabit switch back there, it works perfectly.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Ineffiable posted:

I have tried those but apparently the power lines in my building are so old and poo poo that the performance was even worse than the PS4 internal wifi if you can believe that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apologies to the person ITT who said it'd have liquid cooling and we all laughed and called them a lunatic.

Also holy gently caress it's enormous

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Apologies to the person ITT who said it'd have liquid cooling and we all laughed and called them a lunatic.

Liquid cooling isn’t liquid metal cooling.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

holy poo poo they actually implemented liquid metal cooling at scale. it was rumoured since last year but was really hard to believe as it's been in the realm of short-term OC enthusiasts rather than deployed in a consumer product intended to last for years

not surprised at their thermal performance given most of the case is cooling coupled with liquid metal, v nice to see an official teardown as well

Never having to replace thermal paste like I did with my PS4 yay, also finally nice to see it’s just a normal M.2 slot for expansion after people were speculating about that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Also it's liquid metal on a very small part of the system.

I don't think anyone realistically expected to have the entire unit handled by cooling, liquid or liquid metal.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've heard the Xbox is also quiet but gets hot as gently caress. I wonder if that is gonna lead to similar problems to the 360

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wow, getting to the fan and heat sink looks a million times easier than on a PS4 Pro. You can to get all the way to the motherboard to access the heat sink on the PS4 Pro. It's a goddamn pain in the rear end, because that's where all the dust ends up, so the easy access to the fan is pointless.

Edit: I take that back. There was what appeared to be a small heat early and then he pulled out that big chungus of a heat sink at the end.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 7, 2020

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That is a chunky heat sink

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

abraxas posted:

The tear down video mentions it using a Wi-fi 6 (AX) card so yes it will be better. PS4 uses a Wi-Fi 5 standard (AC)

You will need to upgrade your router for full benefits though.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I love how they have dust holes to vacuum out. I wonder how the dust accumulates in two spots.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

that heat sink is the size of the original xbox

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I've heard the Xbox is also quiet but gets hot as gently caress. I wonder if that is gonna lead to similar problems to the 360

All the 'Xbox super hot' stuff has been refuted by the people whose comments were taken out of context btw.

Both these consoles are going to push a lot of heat out of them though - it's the point of all these giant heat sinks, big fans and designs that channel air through in a particular way. Get the heat away from the internal components. You're going to feel warm air being pushed out of them, you should.

DuffMayhem
May 14, 2003

Does it depress you?
How alone you really are
Well now we all know how to disassemble a PS5 but we still haven’t seen the UI! Pretty cool video tho.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

abraxas posted:

Do you have a fat PS4 or something more recent (the Slim or Pro)? They improved the hardware in those so they support 5 GHz networks, at least.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

univbee posted:

Do you have a fat PS4 or something more recent (the Slim or Pro)? They improved the hardware in those so they support 5 GHz networks, at least.

I have a old as dirt fat PS4, no slim, no pro, just old and fat and loud. Either way it looks like I should at least get better speeds with the PS5 from what everyone has been saying, which is better than nothing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Red Warrior posted:

Both these consoles are going to push a lot of heat out of them though - it's the point of all these giant heat sinks, big fans and designs that channel air through in a particular way. Get the heat away from the internal components. You're going to feel warm air being pushed out of them, you should.

Going to save on my gas bill by heating my house with this bad boy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I also thought "heh, the processor chip is too clean. They clearly never applied the thermal paste." Until I saw the liquid metal. That was really cool.

The board was missing a coin cell battery though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Red Warrior posted:

All the 'Xbox super hot' stuff has been refuted by the people whose comments were taken out of context btw.

its not an unfair description to say that the console looks like its going to have way more exhaust heat than ps5 tho, claims of overheating/burning people are certainly false.
at the ps5 hands on they were saying the air coming out of ps5 was lukewarm after the play session. meanwhile the metal on a removeable drive in standby mode was hot enough to surprise someone.
its not much of a story so it got exaggerated for sure but im looking forward to heat and power analysis very much after this week.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

The more I see the PS5 the more its design grows on me. Cool of them to do a teardown video as well. Have MS done one for the XBOXSX or is that ugly monolith just full of spiders?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is extremely impressive hardware, what they were able to put in here, considering the size, the performance, and then the cost, and with only a 350w power supply that is built in with no additional power brick.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Little know fact: Yasuhiro Ootori is only 4'7 tall.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Also lol dust collecting vents. Thank you, Sony!

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Bad Parenting posted:

The more I see the PS5 the more its design grows on me. Cool of them to do a teardown video as well. Have MS done one for the XBOXSX or is that ugly monolith just full of spiders?

They did one in March with Digital Foundry.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think I am just a sucker for super simple designs, but I really like the look of the Series X, just not its massive size.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I want to have 5 different looks for my PS5 by replacing the covers. Keep ya super simple design to ya super simple self.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I said come in! posted:

I think I am just a sucker for super simple designs, but I really like the look of the Series X, just not its massive size.

Small form factor PCs have been around for a while, it just looks like a small PC tower

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i hope they make a lot of the bottom cover replacements too and not just the top, though it might be complicated that there are 2 bottom cover shapes so then you get into either needing to pay more for 3 covers to use the right bottom one, or having 2 sku's on shelves of replacement covers for each model and potentially seeing one console outsell the other variant and the covers for your variant being harder to find etc who cares tho there will be plenty of black ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Shammypants posted:

I want to have 5 different looks for my PS5 by replacing the covers. Keep ya super simple design to ya super simple self.

Wood paneling for that Atari 2600 look :whatup: