Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I remember seeing that Attila album on a "best albums ever" list and expected to hate it but found it pretty rocking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I remember seeing that Attila album on a "best albums ever" list and expected to hate it but found it pretty rocking

I'm either suspect that you saw that on a "best of" list, or that the author of the list has only listened to like 5 albums.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's definitely not as bad as some of the reviews would have you believe. I think that's the nicest thing you could reasonably say about it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

XBenedict posted:

I'm either suspect that you saw that on a "best of" list, or that the author of the list has only listened to like 5 albums.

You should be suspect, it was a horrendous mis-post on my part, what I meant to say was on the "list of music considered the worst" wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_considered_the_worst#2000s-2010s

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I forget how I first stumbled across Attila but it is now one of my favorites in all its organ crashing glory as well.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I've heard some controversy about whether this act was queerbaiting or exploitative or what have you, but I'm legit curious: Having only listened to "All The Things She Said", and finding it pretty good, is t.A.T.u. any good?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Junpei posted:

I've heard some controversy about whether this act was queerbaiting or exploitative or what have you, but I'm legit curious: Having only listened to "All The Things She Said", and finding it pretty good, is t.A.T.u. any good?

The "lesbian" angle was definitely fake and made up to generate interest, but also they're pretty keen on pushing Russian propaganda (see the song "Такого как Путин"/"One like Putin" where they want to have a guy who's strong and handsome like Putin).

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The first album is a pretty solid pop album with a great Smiths cover, the two followups are OK but the Russian versions have more character, are sequenced differently and have some cool weird interludes that aren't on the Anglo versions.

There's also the incredibly bizarre t.A.T.u/Rammstein mashup album put out by MTV Russia that also has some Clawfinger and Limp Bizkit mashes chucked in. If you like "Moskau" off Rammstein's Reise Reise you'll probably dig that too

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The only Eagles songs I know are "Life In The Fast Lane" and "Hotel California", where do I start with them?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Junpei posted:

The only Eagles songs I know are "Life In The Fast Lane" and "Hotel California", where do I start with them?

Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975) is the top selling album of all time in the US. You should probably give that a listen.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975) is the top selling album of all time in the US. You should probably give that a listen.

When you listen to it, I bet you come away knowing more Eagles than you though you did.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Junpei posted:

Peaceful Easy Feeling, New Kid in Town, Heartache Tonight, Take it to the Limit,

gently caress it just watch this - 45 minutes of greatness - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL_JuPcuw84

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

If you want albums instead of a greatest hits (which is a pretty good introduction), then Desperado, One of These Nights, and Hotel California.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Couldn’t you just listen to the flying Burrito Brothers and gram parsons instead of The Eagles and be much happier?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 22, 2020

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

BigFactory posted:

Couldn’t you just listen to the flying Burrito Brothers and graham parsons instead of The Eagles and be much happier?

:agreed:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

BigFactory posted:

Couldn’t you just listen to CCR instead of The Eagles and be much happier?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I got nothing against the eagles except for their music and don henleys lovely attitude about people who work for/with him. But mostly the music.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So this is more of a "should I continue with?", but is Sting's stuff looking at if you have all The Police albums? I'm going to assume no though, but haven't ever checked out any of his stuff. I just assumed it was much different from The Police stuff.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

IUG posted:

So this is more of a "should I continue with?", but is Sting's stuff looking at if you have all The Police albums? I'm going to assume no though, but haven't ever checked out any of his stuff. I just assumed it was much different from The Police stuff.

Some of it is. Ten Summoners Tales is probably his best solo work. Soul Cages is decent.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Look up some of his solo work on Spotify or YouTube and see if you like it. I don't so I can't recommend anything in particular, but you'll get a good idea of what's popular with his fans pretty quickly.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

IUG posted:

Sting had a pretty good solo career. He went away from pop-rock, but there's still a lot of stuff with good hooks.

All This Time is a great example of how he could write a really catchy upbeat pop song about the death of his father and not have it come out ironic or silly. You've probably heard Fields of Gold a thousand times, it's one of his most popular.

It's not like without the rest of the Police, he lost his touch.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ten summoner's tales is pretty good and if you like that you'll probably like the rest of his solo stuff

he was definitely the one pushing the jazzy sophistipop sound of later police records so if you like that then definitely check it out

eagles are pretty middle of the road as far as country rock goes but they're also one of the best known bands in the genre; people don't necessarily want to start with sweetheart of the rodeo or gene clark's no other

if you don't want greatest hits 71-75 (you should, eagles were for sure a singles band and it's one of the best greatest hits comps of all time), the eagles s/t and hotel california are probably the two best albums from each "phase" of the band (the initial country rock thing with bernie leadon and then the slicker broader rock sound with joe walsh)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Declan MacManus posted:

eagles are pretty middle of the road as far as country rock goes but they're also one of the best known bands in the genre; people don't necessarily want to start with sweetheart of the rodeo or gene clark's no other

Life's Greatest Fool is an absolute banger and that whole No Other album is great.

Also Sweetheart too.

Up there with Workingman's Dead/American Beauty as my favourite country rock records.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm really glad I found this thread, I should have dipped into NMD long ago.
I'm running a project for my nephew. I might eventually make a thread about it, but for now it's just me buying an album every week to eventually give to him as a birthday present in a couple of years. I get to listen to the music, too (obviously), and I'm taking the opportunity to explore far beyond my usual fairly limited tastes.

The suggestions for Billy Joel are excellent, I had a couple of his songs stuck in my head a few weeks ago so I bought The Hits (presumably this is the first of his compilation albums, I can't remember the other choices on his website) and I'm very happy.

I know absolutely nothing about several major genres of music (leaving aside for now the problems of classifying music), particularly Hip-Hop. I've been meaning to really explore some options here, starting with a dive through various Bandcamp articles. But, I also want to emphasise the role of female artists, and a bit of exploring a little while ago kept bringing me to Lauryn Hill as a major influence and ground-breaker. Where should I start with her?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
She only has one album. Before that she was in the Fugees, who only have two, only one of which anyone cares about (The Score).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ExecuDork posted:

The suggestions for Billy Joel are excellent, I had a couple of his songs stuck in my head a few weeks ago so I bought The Hits (presumably this is the first of his compilation albums, I can't remember the other choices on his website) and I'm very happy.

My introduction to Billy Joel was Greatest Hits Volume I and II, which were always sold together.

Now I say this because the Hits is missing Uptown Girl! What kind of greatest hits compilation looks at an artist who wrote Uptown Girl and says "yeah, we can skip that?"

I'm legitimately angry! Not at you. But at them. The fools with no respect for Uptown Girl. I understand they didn't include Just the Way You Are - Billy hates that song. But loving Uptown Girl?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Billy Joel - yeah, Uptown Girl is a great song. I'll pick up more from Mr. Joel next year, I'm trying to avoid packing the list of albums with too much from any one artist.

Lauryn Hill - I was hoping somebody would confirm the Wikipedia article for her that says The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is her only studio album, thanks. I just bought it and it should be here next week.

Switching gears, how about Henry Rollins? I always hear about him as "used to be the frontman for Black Flag" but I've never (to my knowledge) heard a Black Flag song, ever. He seems to be more influential as a critic and a broadcaster (i.e. he has an opinion and is willing and able to put it out there), but his background as a musician is always, ALWAYS mentioned right after his name in anything I've read about or by him.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Switching gears, how about Henry Rollins? I always hear about him as "used to be the frontman for Black Flag" but I've never (to my knowledge) heard a Black Flag song, ever. He seems to be more influential as a critic and a broadcaster (i.e. he has an opinion and is willing and able to put it out there), but his background as a musician is always, ALWAYS mentioned right after his name in anything I've read about or by him.

these are not-revolutionary opinions:

If you need to hear one Rollins-era Black Flag song, I'd go with Rise Above (even though he apparently wasn't the first one to sing it, since there's supposedly a complete or near-complete set of tapes of Dez's vocals for the record).

If you want to go further, go for the Damaged and Slip it In LPs. Maybe My War as well.

If you want to hear the obvious starting place for digging into his solo musical career, grab a copy of Weight.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Van Halen. I know "Jump" and "Panama", and I am vaguely aware that the David Lee Roth albums are better for in-your-face party rock and that the Sammy Hagar albums are better for power ballads, (and also that the Gary Cherone album blows), but not much else.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Junpei posted:

Van Halen. I know "Jump" and "Panama", and I am vaguely aware that the David Lee Roth albums are better for in-your-face party rock and that the Sammy Hagar albums are better for power ballads, (and also that the Gary Cherone album blows), but not much else.

Gonna quote myself from a few years back when this came up since I don’t have time right now to do something even longer and more in depth:

fartknocker posted:

I'm gonna go :spergin: just because they're my favorite band and I feel like it.

If you want the quick, TL;DR, "I know absolutely nothing about this band" level introduction, start with Best Of, Vol. 1. It's a one CD, goes chronological from their debut up to 1996, about evenly split between the Roth and Hagar years, and so you'll get a good idea of most of their biggest songs. The downside of it is that it is just one disc, so you are going to miss out on a bunch of stuff, as a bunch of their biggest/most notable songs (Hot for Teacher, Jamie's Cryin', You Really Got Me) aren't included. They do have a two disc best of, 2004's Best of Both Worlds, but the majority of it alternates between Roth and Hagar songs, so it's a bit of an uneven listen. Both have the downside of them using almost entirely just songs released as singles, so a ton of great songs aren't included on either compilation (Mean Street, Ice Cream Man, 5150, I can go on).

Really, the best thing you can do is just start with Van Halen I and go chronologically. The original six Roth albums are all fairly short (The longest topping out ~35 minutes) and are usually start-to-finish excellent. Their 1978 debut and 1984, the last Roth album, will probably have the majority of the tracks you'd have heard a billion times from classic rock radio (Runnin' With The Devil & Panama come to mind), but both are legitimately among the greatest albums of all time and have some amazing album cuts that need to be listened to at least once (I'm The One, Atomic Punk, and Girl Gone Bad being a few personal favorites). The other Roth albums are also very good, with 1981's Fair Warning usually being the album die hard fans cite as their favorite (Mean Street and Hear About It Later being phenomenal), while Diver Down (1982) usually gets a bit more mixed reputation because Eddie has trashed it on a few occasions because it's cover heavy, but it's a generally fun, upbeat album and has a few songs (Hang 'Em High, Cathedral, Little Guitars) that really deserve a listen to. Van Halen II (1979) and Women and Children First (1980) are also both worth checking out, particularly if you enjoy the sound and style of the first album, and also have a number of great songs (Women in Love, Light up the Sky, Romeo Delight, In A Simply Rhyme).

If you go through those and want to keep going, the first two Hagar albums, 1986's 5150 and 1988's OU812, are pretty good. The production on them is different from that done on the Roth albums, and honestly they can be a bit more hit and miss than the Roth years on first listen. You'll get some very synth heavy, power ballad level stuff (Dreams, When It's Love), but it's not like every single track is based around keyboards, like say, mid-80s Rush became. You'll also get some fantastic guitar work and really awesome songs (5150 and Mine All Mine being probably my favorite songs, regardless of singer), and I really think the singles tend to be some of the weaker songs on these albums, so they are worth listening too if you have the time. If you like them, they'll probably really click for you. After that, the band goes back toward a heavier sound in 1991 with For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, which has some excellent singles (Poundcake, Right Now, Top of the World), but how you feel about the rest of the album really will depend on how much you enjoy EVH's guitar skills with Hagar's word choice (Which can vary quite a bit). Very much an album towards the middle of the pack. The last Hagar album, Balance, from 1995, stays with a heavier sound, but is a very uneven album, so YMMV quite a bit. The singles (Can't Stop Loving You & Not Enough) on it are obvious as hell and tend toward blatant commercial stuff, while the rest of it alternates between excellent (The Seventh Seal, Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do), Balchitherium) and mediocre (Take Me Back), so take it as it goes...

After that, if you are somehow still interested in all this insanity, I'd say go right to 2012's reunion with Roth, A Different Kind of Truth. About half the songs on began life as demos prior to their debut (Which you can no doubt find on YouTube if you want to compare them) and some people seemed to use that to dismiss the album when it came out, but Eddie's playing remains excellent, and most of them are very good and close to the quality of their original albums, with a few of the newer songs (China Town, As Is) being down right great IMO. The sound is also more in key with their first few albums (Meaning it tends to be heavier stuff), which can be a plus if you liked that. The downsides are Dave has obviously aged a bit, and the lack of Michael Anthony contributing to their signature backing vocals becomes obvious.

Coming up towards the end here are their two live albums, 1993's Live: Right Here, Right Now and 2015's Tokyo Dome Live in Concert, with Hagar and Roth respectively. The former was heavily edited up during production, with several of the tracks being totally done in studio. It's not very representative of how they sounded live with Sammy, with too much crowd noise in the mix, and little to no improvisation from Eddie that normally made listening to (Or seeing) them live worth while. If you want to see that, look for the Live Without a Net video, from their 5150 tour. It's an excellent performance and will really give you an idea why the Hagar version of the band actually worked out as well as they did. Tokyo Dome is from their 2012 tour and is basically just a slightly cleaned up soundboard recording. Musically, it's very good, with the Van Halens (Eddie, Alex, and now Wolfgang on bass) being all in perfectly fine form, but Dave is... not. Now, granted, DLR was never exactly one to give 100% effort into his vocal delivery, even in his prime, but he's showing his age and it can be kinda rough. If you want to hear how Eddie's guitar has sounded live over the past ~20 years, that covers it, but it can be a bit rough at first due to Dave.

The final piece of all this is 1998's Van Halen III, with Gary Cherone on lead vocals. It's actually not a terrible album! ...it just doesn't sound like anything else Van Halen ever did. Eddie basically had unfettered control, and so you get more overdubbing and wildly different guitar tones in one hour than probably all their other albums put together. Cherone's delivery is somewhat mixed and could have been better, while lyrically he is an obvious change from Dave and Sammy (Make of that what you will). Eddie does more of the backing vocals (And lead on the final track, How Many Say I), which is a negative. Only one song (Fire in the Hole) is really close to the sound found in their other albums, and a bunch of them are longer songs than on any other album they did. A few of them remind me of a tone more closer to early 80's, Discipline-era King Crimson, and really the whole album is simply not what most people expected when they grabbed something with Van Halen on the label, which is a big reason it has the reputation that it does. Honestly, I'd say it's a fairly mediocre album that is really failed by its mix and production quality (Or those in control of those aspects). That said, if you are really curious about how the album should have sounded, check out some of their live performances from 1998. Ironically, the III Tour was excellent because the new songs were done in a more traditionally Van Halen-style (Eddie using a single, heavy guitar sund and Michael Anthony doing backing vocals) and Gary was willing to play basically any song from their back catalog, so it had a great setlist and is worth exploring more, particularly if you like live material (This show being a personal favorite of mine).

Lastly, for the related vein of material: If you do happen to enjoy the appropriate albums, David Lee Roth's first solo album, 1986's Eat 'Em and Smile, is similarly styled, fantastic, and worth your time. How you'd view his later stuff depends on how much you enjoy that and his overall schtick, hitting on some varying styles and production quality. Hagar's many solo albums come in varying shades of quality, particularly prior to ~1979, so those are a case where one of his Greatest Hits albums or randomly going through YouTube or such will really give you all you'd need. 1987's I Never Said Goodbye is worth checking out if you do like the Van Hagar stuff, as Eddie helped produce it and played bass so it's got a similar sound. His post-Van Halen solo albums tend to be one or two solid songs mixed with a lot of forgettable filler, although his stuff with Chickenfoot (Him, Michael Anthony, Joe Satriani and Chad Smith) is very good.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 29, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Were Kris Kross actually any good? Whenever I hear them referenced it always just sort of is "heh. Remember when those middle schoolers had a rap career?" and not like, any discussion of their actual skills/fame/songs. I like "Jump", for the record.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Junpei posted:

Were Kris Kross actually any good? Whenever I hear them referenced it always just sort of is "heh. Remember when those middle schoolers had a rap career?" and not like, any discussion of their actual skills/fame/songs. I like "Jump", for the record.

so... hm. here's the deal. it's novelty rap, but it's produced by jermaine dupri who's on the shortlist of the greatest producers of all time.

the rest of totally krossed out sounds like jump (specifically "i missed the bus" and "warm it up") and the production is legitimately good g-funk; the latter two albums from what i've listened to seem to be solid if not especially revolutionary takes on dre/death row that would be pretty in line with the rest of hip hop at the time

would i say any of it's required listening? no. is it enjoyable? absolutely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ1YJn1PkI4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOntgsvDddE

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I got nothing against the eagles except for their music and don henleys lovely attitude about people who work for/with him. But mostly the music.

:hai:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
George Michael's post-Wham! music?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Junpei posted:

Do you have to go deeper than Faith? The rest of it all seemed to be pretty thin soup from what I remember.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've never heard any Barenaked ladies songs other than 90s anthem - One Week and a live version of "if i had a million dollars" What am i missing?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've never heard any Barenaked ladies songs other than 90s anthem - One Week and a live version of "if i had a million dollars" What am i missing?

Just the other song from Gordon "Hello City".

I only ever really liked their albums Gordon and Stunt, which are where those three songs come from.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Junpei posted:

Faith has the obvious "everywhere in the late 80's" singles but Songs of Faith and Devotion Vol. I was pretty solid. After that he drops into schmaltz pretty quickly.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Take a look at the track listing for Disc One, their early greatest hits compilation. You probably know a few more of those songs than you realize, but if not, it's worth tracking a few down on YouTube. The highlights beyond the two songs you mentioned are "Old Apartment", "Pinch Me" and "Call and Answer", but everything on there is pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Tragically Hip? Anything really worth a deep dive or should I just stick to a hits playlist? Moving to Canada soon and I’m tired of just nodding blankly when people bring them up.