Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

therobit posted:

Can someone link me to the post that spawned the thread title?

Also, has a higher price been announced? I just took communion a couple weeks ago and it was still a buck fifty.

The quote is what the ceo said to someone who kinda possibly maybe suggested raising the price of the dog

do not worry my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

therobit posted:

Also, has a higher price been announced? I just took communion a couple weeks ago and it was still a buck fifty.

No, but beef prices have skyrocketed, even if most hotdog beef is the the anal lining scrappings they can't sell for dog food. And Costco has been trying to turn the Food Court into a profit-center for awhile as other more profit-seeking things, especially leaning hard on it the last 4-years with private equity taking some bigger stake and a few board seats in that timeframe. And Sinegal isn't on the board anymore and has no to little involvement or power, and he's like a zillion years old so he's prob gunna be dead sometime soon.

the days are definitely numbered. but even a $2 dog would be a really good deal. i'd rather take a $2 dog vs trying to cut more corners to keep it at $1.5 like doing shittier buns, getting rid of saurkraut/onion dispensers/polish, aerating the beef in production and cutting weight, etc.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
So my church's food court had actually cut out all of the new menu items that were added to make a profit and is down to dogs, pizza berry sundaes, and chicken bakes. I was hoping that was signaling that they realized it is never going to be a profitable part of the store.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

therobit posted:

So my church's food court had actually cut out all of the new menu items that were added to make a profit and is down to dogs, pizza berry sundaes, and chicken bakes. I was hoping that was signaling that they realized it is never going to be a profitable part of the store.
That's mostly across the country but I hink that's more a covid thing in that they aren't having people sitting down to eat and za/dog is easier to sling and eat to-go. I don't know what's going to shake out of it post-covid but I have a feeling they haven't given up, just on hiatus. Like they even killed the Combination pizza so they're probably trying to keep ingredients and FC staffing minimal right now. also :rip: churro

who knows though. it would be best to focus on a few cheap items that are easy to eat-n-walk/car-food, especially self-contained stuff like a bulgogi bake, stromboli, dog, giant pretzel, churro, etc type stuff.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 7, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

therobit posted:

It's a quote from the new ceo to the former ceo before he took over.

Costco is not raising the price for he hotdog. The brand is too powerful. I'm not gonna say they don't wanna make money with the foodcourt. But in the grand scheme of things. It's absolutely more of a customer relations department. For example the foodcourt at my store is losing 10,000 a month. Sounds like a lot until you consider the stores making millions.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Churros will be back soon, fifty cents more and they'll be different.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gaius Marius posted:

:negative:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gaius Marius posted:

give me my sauerkraut and brown mustard dog back

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Gaius Marius posted:

Costco is not raising the price for he hotdog. The brand is too powerful. I'm not gonna say they don't wanna make money with the foodcourt. But in the grand scheme of things. It's absolutely more of a customer relations department. For example the foodcourt at my store is losing 10,000 a month. Sounds like a lot until you consider the stores making millions.

Considering the queues at checkout with full (read: $600+) trolleys on a midweek lunchtime when I went today $10000/week is an absolutely miniscule loss-leader.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
polish dog was pretty loving iconic and that went away after all. i think a pretty telling sign was the way craig reacted to having to announce vegan salad in just resigned-sadness "yeah it's a thing, better than i expected... if you like that type of thing." because there's been a lot of private-equity activist investor activity pushing to make it make money and it was basically out of his control.

not that it'll happen soon, but q3 2021? 2022? who knows. future only has one direction and that's "worse". and hey, i get it.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 7, 2020

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Still havent had a dog since COVID came. It was all about the pump relish and mustard and of course, the onion dispenser. :sigh:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Hotdog prices should be grandfathered in to your membership card. If you keep your membership up to date you enjoy locked in dog prices. Its a private, members-only club so new people should expect mistreatment and hazing. Maybe you can rollback your do price if you do 5+ years of good parking lot cart behavour and no leaving perishable food lying out in the shelves near the checkouts.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Same with the rotisserie chickens. It's pretty easy to run a successful business giving food away at cost when people go there, eat the food, and also spend several hundred dollars in the store.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

give me my sauerkraut and brown mustard dog back

My church gives out kraut in plastic containers and has packets for mustard and ketchup. I take them home to eat now though and I have all the fixings there.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Does the Co still have the Italian sausage? I haven’t looked at the food court menu since the Rona hit.

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

My experience at the food court (in PA) is there's just pizza, dogs and ice cream.

who's your crawdaddy
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Re: Coffee grinders, Americas Test Kitchen did blind taste tests with several coffee roasters and baristas and they could not tell the difference between brews done with blade grounds and grounds from the Baratza Encore (their winner for consistent grind size). They did have a special technique they used for the blade grind, pulsing on and off for 1 second so the beans don't just hover along the top, and then shaking to redistribute in between pulses. I thought it was interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7LAzSKgeoQ

In other news I just reupped my membership because of this thread. Anyone have experience with the Kirkland boxer briefs?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Renegret posted:

I bet you most of those snobs can't pass a blind taste test for things like rinsing the coffee filter and the temperature of the water. But it's clear as day if you're using inferior beans.
In all honesty I just enjoy the process of brewing the coffee. It's hella relaxing to grind the beans while you're waiting for the water to boil and waiting for the temperature to be just right and all that jazz. I doubt I would be able to distinguish the difference, and I'm convinced it's all in your head- like when people say they can distinguish all the subtle flavors in mid-tier bourbons.

Also, one of my favorite things about going to my Costco is getting to pick up a 24 pack of local beer. Love me some locally brewed beer.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

Hotdog prices should be grandfathered in to your membership card. If you keep your membership up to date you enjoy locked in dog prices. Its a private, members-only club so new people should expect mistreatment and hazing. Maybe you can rollback your do price if you do 5+ years of good parking lot cart behavour and no leaving perishable food lying out in the shelves near the checkouts.

Can I get a bonus for informing employees of moldy items on display and leaks when it starts raining?
Extra if I cut bitches who don't put their carts away.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

topenga posted:

Can I get a bonus for informing employees of moldy items on display and leaks when it starts raining?
Extra if I cut bitches who don't put their carts away.

Cutting up motherfuckers who leave their carts out is a calling, not a profession. We do this for the love of the church, not for monetary gain. PBUC.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

who's your crawdaddy posted:

Anyone have experience with the Kirkland boxer briefs?

Not bad but they get Ex Officios every so often and those are the best.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

poisonpill posted:

Not bad but they get Ex Officios every so often and those are the best.

Oh drat, didn't know they carried those. That in store or online? Ex Officios are indeed the best.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

They’re like blink and you miss it things. I rely on this thread to let me know when they’re in stock lol

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I sure would buy more clothes at Costco but I guess I have to eat more 1.50 hot dogs to even approach be able to.

:argh: Stock some sensible sizes Costco gently caress :argh:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Re: Coffee grinders, Americas Test Kitchen did blind taste tests with several coffee roasters and baristas and they could not tell the difference between brews done with blade grounds and grounds from the Baratza Encore (their winner for consistent grind size). They did have a special technique they used for the blade grind, pulsing on and off for 1 second so the beans don't just hover along the top, and then shaking to redistribute in between pulses. I thought it was interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7LAzSKgeoQ

In other news I just reupped my membership because of this thread. Anyone have experience with the Kirkland boxer briefs?

This makes sense. Burr grinders are great if you really, really need consistent grind size (like for Espresso or french press).

If you are just throwing the grinds into a drip machine, pour over setup or an aeropress, it matters a lot less.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

silence_kit posted:

What about a morning Dew?

Diet Dew plus orange juice. I call it the Dewdriver

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

french pressed dis this morning. also made some cold brew. good stuff.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I went to Costco last night around 7PM and they didn't have Merino Wool socks, flannel, or paper towels. and still no bitchin sauce (tbf they;ve been out of it for like the last 1.5 years) :smith:

got some things but not what i went for

i have a bunch of them and find them very cozyt

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

KakerMix posted:

I sure would buy more clothes at Costco but I guess I have to eat more 1.50 hot dogs to even approach be able to.

:argh: Stock some sensible sizes Costco gently caress :argh:

you sometimes have to rummage around in the boxes under the pallets of clothes to find smaller sizes. i've had mixed success looking. look at the label and see if it's something that's even carried (M-XXXL; S-XXL; etc).

but yeah good smaller size clothes go very quick but really depends on the area. if you're in like denver or boulder or san francisco bay area or seattle or la, you'll have a hell of a time trying to find any because they don't stock much and go very fast. if you're shopping at say... Branson Missouri and Bumblefuck Arkansas, you shouldn't have a hard time finding any.

i do think its hilarious that they can't tailor their clothe shipments by area. hmm yes consistently having stock 10000x XL-XXXXLs drowning the store in them that aren't selling meanwhile having 0 S-Ms which are clearly in demand, is a good idea instead of ordering a bunch of the sizes that sell.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 7, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
I don’t think my store had jamón. I’m going up to Washington near Mecca soon—anyone know if they have them in the E Seattle/Redmond area?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Xaris posted:

you sometimes have to rummage around in the boxes under the pallets of clothes to find smaller sizes. i've had mixed success looking. look at the label and see if it's something that's even carried (M-XXXL; S-XXL; etc).

but yeah good smaller size clothes go very quick but really depends on the area. if you're in like denver or boulder or san francisco bay area or seattle or la, you'll have a hell of a time trying to find any because they don't stock much and go very fast. if you're shopping at say... Branson Missouri and Bumblefuck Arkansas, you shouldn't have a hard time finding any.

i do think its hilarious that they can't tailor their clothe shipments by area. hmm yes consistently having stock 10000x XL-XXXXLs drowning the store in them that aren't selling meanwhile having 0 S-Ms which are clearly in demand, is a good idea instead of ordering a bunch of the sizes that sell.

Costco clothing is one place where it's cheaper to be fat. A whole pile of XXL and XXXL flannels on sale today for $13.

I nearly bought a pair of pants today but I was finding every reason to be picky and decided it's a sign from myself that I don't want em.

Margarita mix and Upslope beer was a no brainer though.

And a chicken bake.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

But not tall. They may have clothes that go wide, but they’ll never have large socks, long pants, etc.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
costco clothing is sized for costco buying peeps

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

gently caress I wish Table Rock lake area had a freaking Costco!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah the sizes available is definitely regionally related. Down here in the south the big sizes go first leaving all the mediums and smalls left on clearance.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
I've ordered a lot of clothing off the website and had good luck with that, much better size selection. I've given up trying to find dress shirts in the store, I don't think they stock smalls at all, and the mediums are for 5'6" 300lb humans.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

poisonpill posted:

But not tall. They may have clothes that go wide, but they’ll never have large socks, long pants, etc.

I've noticed they sometimes have tall stuff online. Haven't ordered any yet. I can try on a 3XL flannel over my hoodie and have room to grow, but the shirt tails practically end at my navel.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This is peak physical performance, you may not like it but it is.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Got a thicc package of Tall flannels waiting on my doorstep from costco atm. praying they be blessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Danny Devito smiling because he bought up the entire Costco Men’s Dept some guys have all the luck