Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there any reason to not run FreeNAS or whatever under ESX so I can use the overhead to do other things?

As long as you can passthrough the controller you're hanging the drives off of so FreeNAS can have direct control of it, no, not really. I've been using it that way for a long time and it works just fine. Maybe not a great idea for like enterprise production servers or whatever, but for home use plenty of people have done it without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there any reason to not run FreeNAS or whatever under ESX so I can use the overhead to do other things?
You can do it, but you need to be careful about configuration of ESX(i), as ZFS needs disk cache control to ensure that data has been written to disk.
The easiest way to ensure this is to make use of I/O MMU virtualization (VT-d/AMD-Vi depending on your choice of hardware) which passes the entire HBA into the guest OS.

E: loving beat by multiple tabs. orz

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 4, 2020

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK cool. I will have to do some more reading, still haven’t decided on what to run, either. Been using xpenology forever without issue, but I’d like something less... hacky.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

I started like that but if you pass through the controller like you should any physical memory you pass through is locked to that VM and can’t be over committed.

I redid it after a few years to be proxmox with ZoL importing the zpools and docker on an LXC. Few years later I built a dedicated docker machine next to it being proxmox with docker on it raw.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Two interesting (well, to me ... lol, sorry!) developments in my drive replacement in an HP N40L running FreeNAS:

Newegg shipped me an 8TB Ironwolf non-Pro instead of the 4TB Pro that I ordered. That left me with a few options:
  • Send it back for replacement with the correct drive
  • buy three more of this instead of the other one to replace in my NAS
  • put this in my desktop giving me a large drive to duplicate (photo collection, etc) to and work with locally (rather than from NAS), and then start buying 4TB Pro drives again
I ended up going with the third option - while I like the idea of a huge jump in storage space (I'm already doubling my storage and I don't anticipate a direct reason that's going to be anywhere near insufficient), it'd cost me nearly the exact same amount to get three more 8TB non-pro drives as it will to start over and get an 8TB and four new 4TB Pro, and I think I value the added coverage of the Pros for my NAS.

The other development - I realized that the only reason I realized I was getting SMART errors is that I was forced to directly access (i.e., hook it up to a screen) the NAS to reinstall FreeNAS. The boot sequence showed SMART status BAD for the drive, but FreeNAS was still reporting it as good.

Am I doing something wrong there? How do I ensure that I don't have a failing drive other than hook a projector up to the NAS and reboot it regularly? The only thing I can figure is that I used to get status emails from the box and I haven't been, I think because my webhost changed how email authorized. I can get those working again if it would have caught this, but I don't remember if it actually had SMART status in there, and it seems weird to me that the WebUI wouldn't show it but the email would.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Two interesting (well, to me ... lol, sorry!) developments in my drive replacement in an HP N40L running FreeNAS:

The other development - I realized that the only reason I realized I was getting SMART errors is that I was forced to directly access (i.e., hook it up to a screen) the NAS to reinstall FreeNAS. The boot sequence showed SMART status BAD for the drive, but FreeNAS was still reporting it as good.

I would kick it back to them. I wouldn't risk the mystery given the bad sensor reading.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

I would kick it back to them. I wouldn't risk the mystery given the bad sensor reading.
To make sure - this is with the (very) old drive that I’m replacing, not the new one. I have zero trouble believing the drive needing replacing is bad, I’m just not sure how I would’ve known via FreeNAS. Or am I way off that that should be possible?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Krakkles posted:

To make sure - this is with the (very) old drive that I’m replacing, not the new one. I have zero trouble believing the drive needing replacing is bad, I’m just not sure how I would’ve known via FreeNAS. Or am I way off that that should be possible?

The UI shouldn't show anything different than it does during start up so your question is hard to answer.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Speaking FreeNAS and ESXi, anyone passing through a card on an X570/B550 mobo?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Moey posted:

Speaking FreeNAS and ESXi, anyone passing through a card on an X570/B550 mobo?

Not yet, but I have some future plans. Is there something you're specifically worried about? AFAIK there aren't any unusual issues there.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

How do you find drives on sale? I've had a slickdeals alert set up for like a month, but nothing yet. I assume something will come up in Novemberish for Black Friday, but I don't want to wait.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Watch for activity here, maybe check the Datahoarders subreddit too if you're particularly worried about missing a sale. At the same time, seems like $140 for an 8TB Easystore is the new normal price at Best Buy, and I think the lowest they've ever gone is $120?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DrDork posted:

Not yet, but I have some future plans. Is there something you're specifically worried about? AFAIK there aren't any unusual issues there.

Nothing specific, just curious if anyone out there is currently doing something similar. I would prefer to keep ESXi as my hypervisor, then just pass an LSI card through to a FreeNAS/TrueNAS VM.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Watch for activity here, maybe check the Datahoarders subreddit too if you're particularly worried about missing a sale. At the same time, seems like $140 for an 8TB Easystore is the new normal price at Best Buy, and I think the lowest they've ever gone is $120?

Yeah I think that's right for the lowest price. I'm expecting a bunch of sales in a week or so when amazon does its new prime day in October. Stores may be holding off until then to compete.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Moey posted:

Nothing specific, just curious if anyone out there is currently doing something similar. I would prefer to keep ESXi as my hypervisor, then just pass an LSI card through to a FreeNAS/TrueNAS VM.

I'm doing this with an X470 board, seems totally good and normal.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Moey posted:

Yeah, this is a perfectly reasonable approach. Passing through a LSI controller works quite well.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I bought StableBit Drivepool at the recommendation of this fine thread a while back but am just now finally getting the "nerve" up to use it (I'm a bit of a grognard and am simply "used to" each physical drive having its own drive letter so switching to this scares me a bit, such as knowing which drive had which files when one dies).

Anyway I'm doing baby steps and am just going to do it for TV shows on my Windows Plex server. Basically my E: currently has all my TV shows in an E:/TV folder. There is nothing else using space up on that 8tb drive (I do a lot of HD Homerun recording and a single 2 hour episode of Dateline is 9gb! I also rip all my Blu-ray Discs as lossless).

Anyway the drive is almost full so I want to take another empty 8tb drive and I basically want there to be a single 16tb E:. I would prefer the drive letter to stay the same because I have so many things counting on the drive letter being E.

Sorry for the stupid question but what's the easiest way to do this? I'm guessing renaming the current E drive to something like Z. Then going in StableBit Drivepool and making a new pool called E:? And adding the Z drive and the other drive to the pool?

Also, how does Drivepool know where to dump shows? For example, I have E:/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. When a new episode airs, is it going to put it on the drive that already has a folder and other episodes for it? I could see it being pretty annoying or even a disaster waiting to happen if all these TV shows are spread randomly across each drive.

I'm just really confused on how Drivepool operates, I guess.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So all you do is load Drivepool. Then add the 2 drive(s) to the Pool. The drive letters of the original disks do not matter and in fact you can turn them off in Windows in the end Next, you enable viewing hidden folders and surf to the new Drive Pool drive letter. You will find an new hidden folder in the root of your HD named something like PoolPart.630a2748-ae4c-4469-9445-031c8429ecd2 this is the pool folder.

Drivepool creates a new Drive letter for the pool itself, just copy the data from your HDs into the pool drive and done. You can also move existing data from whatever folders you have created into the hidden pool folder which will move it into the pool as well.

The crucial part is adding a drive to the pool will not delete any data. It just adds that special PoolPart.630a2748-ae4c-4469-9445-031c8429ecd2 folder.

Drive pool does spread files around to whatever drives are in the pool. You can look on the drivepool website to see addons which can control how DrivePool stores things. There is a File Placement rule thingy you can experiment with.

I don't run Drive Pool with out mirroring my crucial folders. You should do this too. That way if something shits the bed you can still access full folders of data.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 6, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

So all you do is load Drivepool. Then add the 2 drive(s) to the Pool. The drive letters of the original disks do not matter and in fact you can turn them off in Windows in the end Next, you enable viewing hidden folders and surf to the new Drive Pool drive letter. You will find an new hidden folder in the root of your HD named something like PoolPart.630a2748-ae4c-4469-9445-031c8429ecd2 this is the pool folder.

Drivepool creates a new Drive letter for the pool itself, just copy the data from your HDs into the pool drive and done. You can also move existing data from whatever folders you have created into the hidden pool folder which will move it into the pool as well.

The crucial part is adding a drive to the pool will not delete any data. It just adds that special PoolPart.630a2748-ae4c-4469-9445-031c8429ecd2 folder.

Drive pool does spread files around to whatever drives are in the pool. You can look on the drivepool website to see addons which can control how DrivePool stores things. There is a File Placement rule thingy you can experiment with.

I don't run Drive Pool with out mirroring my crucial folders. You should do this too. That way if something shits the bed you can still access full folders of data.

Thank you so much!

Now let's say I want to take my E:, F:, G:, H:, I: , etc drives and combine them all together as a single drive (J: I guess?) so the unused space between them all is available as one drive (instead of the constant file-shuffling I do now). But as an added bonus, I'd also have all the files on one drive letter, so I don't need to go through each drive letter to find my stuff. How would this be accomplished? Create a J: drivepool, individually add the E:, F:, G:, H:, I:s, and then what? Cut and paste the entire contents of each drive to the new J:?

Also I am not too concerned with drive failures, but it would be nice to know what stuff disappeared on a particular drive if it does die. Is there any way to figure this out if a drive dies in a DrivePool? As of right now I know what's on each individual drive. I am a bit nervous about losing that knowledge if they are all DrivePooled together.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

TraderStav posted:

So I'll be building out my new network in the next few weeks as the equipment comes in and I'm realizing now is a perfect time to establish a theme for naming conventions of devices. Wanted to see if anyone had really good ideas. So far I've thought of the following areas
- Sopranos (Tony, Melfi, Paulie, Big Pussy, etc.)
- Babylon 5 (Agamemnon, White Star, Black Star)
- The Expanse (Rocinante, Anubis, Barbapiccola, Canterbury, Nauvoo, Donnager, etc.)
- Guitarists (Hendrix, Vaughan, Clapton, King, Vai, Satriani, Bonamassa)

Maybe stratify within each of them. Network appliances are named after the mafia/OPA/UN ships, User PCs are the cops/UN/etc.

But way open to other suggestions! Want to have some fun with it and lean even more into my geekiness here.

I do Star Trek ship classes/stations, except on Apple devices and IoT where it is too much of a pain in the rear end to care/is on a vLAN anyway.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

AlternateAccount posted:

If you're asking the question, then yes, there are lots of important reasons not to lol

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Crunchy Black posted:

If you're asking the question, then yes, there are lots of important reasons not to lol

As long as you have hardware passthrough, though, there really isn't any big gotcha or complexity to handle. Just pass through the controller and that's about it. You can't snapshot the VM at that point, but FreeNAS is set up to minimize the need to do that to begin with.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Crunchy Black posted:

I do Star Trek ship classes/stations, except on Apple devices and IoT where it is too much of a pain in the rear end to care/is on a vLAN anyway.

Nice, I decided to go consistent with my heritage and went with Greek gods and other references.

It's so lame, but I love it.

On a separate note, as I'm switching to UniFi I'm missing the ability to pause the WiFi on a group or individual devices. I'm seeing that Home Assistant can integrate with UniFi and accomplish this, but having a dog of a time figuring out which of the dozens of dockers available for HA work. I installed a few but none have a WebGUI option available and no documentation.

Does anyone have one that they can recommend? Looking for straightforward or little set up required like all of my other dockers.

Thanks!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Crunchy Black posted:

I've always named computers after sentient AIs in fiction.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My main PC has been named Thunderbird for 20 years now, because I was so stoked about having a 1GHz cpu when the AMD Thunderbird launched. Other PCs are named like quasar, nebula, pulsar etc.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I give my stuff incredibly creative names like: lgtv, appletv, esxi-core, etc. Otherwise I can't remember what is what.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

phosdex posted:

I give my stuff incredibly creative names like: lgtv, appletv, esxi-core, etc. Otherwise I can't remember what is what.
Better than the unraid default hostname: tower.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

phosdex posted:

Oh, from a DNS level I set the canonical name as sentient AIs, using nsd on the DNS server and unbound on the clients.
I also use A records for service names, so in addition to deepthought.local it's also accessible as router.local, fileserver.local, music.local, htpc.local, and buildserver.local and a bunch of others (although some of those hostnames go to separate IPs hosted in vnet jails with separate network stacks, but it's still the same physical box, just multi-tenancy virtualization of a sort).
For things that support it, I also have SRV records setup so that I don't have to remember to type the actual port if something is hosted on a non-default port.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I have things cleverly named "Nas" and "nucaduck" and "ducks" (desktop) and "colorshredder" (color laser printer). Everything else is whatever came out of the box.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Thank you so much!

Now let's say I want to take my E:, F:, G:, H:, I: , etc drives and combine them all together as a single drive (J: I guess?) so the unused space between them all is available as one drive (instead of the constant file-shuffling I do now). But as an added bonus, I'd also have all the files on one drive letter, so I don't need to go through each drive letter to find my stuff. How would this be accomplished? Create a J: drivepool, individually add the E:, F:, G:, H:, I:s, and then what? Cut and paste the entire contents of each drive to the new J:?

Also I am not too concerned with drive failures, but it would be nice to know what stuff disappeared on a particular drive if it does die. Is there any way to figure this out if a drive dies in a DrivePool? As of right now I know what's on each individual drive. I am a bit nervous about losing that knowledge if they are all DrivePooled together.

It's a bit hard to describe all of this but lets see.
After adding your drives (drive letters don't matter) to the pool you end up with a new Drive Letter for the new Pool's virtual drive. This letter can be changed with the normal windows Disk Management if you want.
Access your old drive(s) and move the file/folder structure to the new DrivePool Drive. Do this for all the old drives, so E, F, G, H, I, etc.
Once the files are movied to the pool, go into windows Disk Management and turn off the drive letters for individual drives, keeping the pool drive letter whatever you want. I do this for simplicity and do I don't confuse myself.

The thing about a Drive Pool, is unless you go into the management interface and specifically tell it to store folders on ENTIRE drives not spanned, if you have a failure you are going to have a loving mess on your hands. Yes the rest of the pool is totally readable but that isn't good enough.

The reason Drive Pool is cool is because you can tell individual folders to be mirrored, known as Logical Mirroring. This saves a ton of space depending.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

D. Ebdrup posted:

For things that support it, I also have SRV records setup so that I don't have to remember to type the actual port if something is hosted on a non-default port.
IMO SRV records are one of the most underappreciated things in networking. I wish they were more widely supported. It'd be so nice to be able to move away from standard ports altogether, but from a practical sense the only two things I use regularly where the client can actually be expected to look up the SRV record are SIP phones and Minecraft. If we could get browsers and SSH clients to adopt it that'd be the real win.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

redeyes posted:

After adding your drives (drive letters don't matter) to the pool you end up with a new Drive Letter for the new Pool's virtual drive. This letter can be changed with the normal windows Disk Management if you want.
Access your old drive(s) and move the file/folder structure to the new DrivePool Drive. Do this for all the old drives, so E, F, G, H, I, etc.
Once the files are movied to the pool, go into windows Disk Management and turn off the drive letters for individual drives, keeping the pool drive letter whatever you want. I do this for simplicity and do I don't confuse myself.

The thing about a Drive Pool, is unless you go into the management interface and specifically tell it to store folders on ENTIRE drives not spanned, if you have a failure you are going to have a loving mess on your hands. Yes the rest of the pool is totally readable but that isn't good enough.

The reason Drive Pool is cool is because you can tell individual folders to be mirrored, known as Logical Mirroring. This saves a ton of space depending.
For reference, the thing you're talking about is called a spanned volume, sometimes referred to as a SPAN or BIG.
It's fine if you want to just bulk store data that is easily replicated from elsewhere, and/or (preferably and) well-backed-up (on multiple filesystems, both on-site and off-site), and when data-availability isn't important (ie. that you don't care about the the actual downtime plus however it'll take to rebuild things to how it used to be).

Also, fun fact: Drive letters can be mounted as folders inside another drive instead of being drive letters, which used to be one way to fake a spanned volume.

wolrah posted:

IMO SRV records are one of the most underappreciated things in networking. I wish they were more widely supported. It'd be so nice to be able to move away from standard ports altogether, but from a practical sense the only two things I use regularly where the client can actually be expected to look up the SRV record are SIP phones and Minecraft. If we could get browsers and SSH clients to adopt it that'd be the real win.
I couldn't agree more, especially the part about browsers. Fortunately, at least the ssh from OpenSSH can use the Host primitive in the per-user dot-config to address both usernames, hostname, port and even can even be used to set short aliases, so it's only really browsers. Unfortunately, the only Mozilla employee who saw the sense of SRV records no longer works there - but at least TXT records are finally supported, so that's one of the bigger hurdles.

As for what supports it, NAT-T, SIP, XMPP and email stand out - and over 200 RFCs mention SRV, so it's more that it's never made mandatory by any RFC, but is always just a mild suggestion at best.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 8, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

D. Ebdrup posted:

For reference, the thing you're talking about is called a spanned volume, sometimes referred to as a SPAN or BIG.
It's fine if you want to just bulk store data that is easily replicated from elsewhere, and/or (preferably and) well-backed-up (on multiple filesystems, both on-site and off-site), and when data-availability isn't important (ie. that you don't care about the the actual downtime plus however it'll take to rebuild things to how it used to be).

Also, fun fact: Drive letters can be mounted as folders inside another drive instead of being drive letters, which used to be one way to fake a spanned volume.

Isn't spanned volume more like actually block storing files on different HD's? This is different. All HD's are formatted NTFS with a standard folder setup and permissions. It's the logical layer on top of this that does the spanning per file.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

redeyes posted:

Isn't spanned volume more like actually block storing files on different HD's? This is different. All HD's are formatted NTFS with a standard folder setup and permissions. It's the logical layer on top of this that does the spanning per file.
To my knowledge, SPAN doesn't dictate how things are spanned, so whether it's per-file or per-block doesn't really matter, and neither does the filesystem.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

D. Ebdrup posted:

To my knowledge, SPAN doesn't dictate how things are spanned, so whether it's per-file or per-block doesn't really matter, and neither does the filesystem.

OH ok. I don't think the terms are important anyhow, just how it actually works.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

redeyes posted:

OH ok. I don't think the terms are important anyhow, just how it actually works.
Arguably the only thing that's important is that it works, according to its documentation. :v:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

Thanks a billion for this write up.

If don't care about backing anything up, but I want to know what I lost, what would be the best way to do that? For example, I have like 3 hard drives worth of Blu-Ray movie rips. I would prefer if movies named A-F were on one, F-P were on another, and P-Z were on the 3rd. This way if one drive dies, I know it's all my A-F movies, instead of it being a bunch of random movies across all 3 drives. Is there a way to do this in DrivePool? The whole "having folders with half-files all over the place" thing kind of makes me nervous to start using it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Thanks a billion for this write up.

If don't care about backing anything up, but I want to know what I lost, what would be the best way to do that? For example, I have like 3 hard drives worth of Blu-Ray movie rips. I would prefer if movies named A-F were on one, F-P were on another, and P-Z were on the 3rd. This way if one drive dies, I know it's all my A-F movies, instead of it being a bunch of random movies across all 3 drives. Is there a way to do this in DrivePool? The whole "having folders with half-files all over the place" thing kind of makes me nervous to start using it.

Yeah, in that case, make a set of Folders named A-F, F-P, P-Z. Then go into the settings as I showed up on the last post and specify those folders only go to which ever drive you want. Done.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Here, have an example of what happens when you add a separate intent log to your ZFS pool which serves synchronous NFS I/O for ESXi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

Yeah, in that case, make a set of Folders named A-F, F-P, P-Z. Then go into the settings as I showed up on the last post and specify those folders only go to which ever drive you want. Done.

I really appreciate the help!

I think I messed something up. Here's my settings:

The 8tb O: was completely empty. My 10TB Z: had all my TV shows. So I made a Drivepool with the letter X: combining both the O: and the Z:.

Then I cut and pasted all of the TV shows out of the Z: and into the Drivepool (X:). It took nearly 2 days! Anyway, when I went to just check right now, it filled up both the O: and the Z: equally, despite the fact that I would greatly prefer all the TV shows to only be on the Z: (my TV show collection is under 10TB). Now I have random episodes of 30 Rock across both drives which is making me nuts. Are my settings messed up somehow? I wanted everything to be on the Z:, and only wanted it to start using the O: when the Z: got full.