Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Zereth posted:

Who was talking about marked bills?

Feds run stings where they just buy product with marked bills so they can ID higher ups.

That's why you launder drug money. So you can get the dirty bills out of your hands and into someone elses' before it heads to a bank or somewhere they scan the cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

ultrafilter posted:

That's true, but when someone is convicted for money laundering, the details of how they did it are part of the public record. Someone here could've studied how those schemes worked. And yeah, those are the ones who were caught, but some of them weren't caught for a while.

Those details only become part of the public record if they're brought up in court. Law enforcement including the FBI and Secret Service (who investigate fake bills and are often involved in this stuff) are well aware of this and likely give the vaguest descriptions of the criminal activity they can to prevent copycats, which keeps the information safe because law enforcement investigations are exempt from FOIA.

If you just want a list of ways, here ya go. It's basically what you'd expect and is based on news as well as federal reports about the nature of money laundering, so you're not going to find anything that's not common knowledge among enforcement types.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Here's an unreadable graphic you find if you google image search "Money laundering graph"

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

LostCosmonaut posted:

Golf rumours (use caution) shows up on this one (level 9);

Mods please change my name to "soy becomes sentient".

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ikanreed posted:

Here's an unreadable graphic you find if you google image search "Money laundering graph"

I think this deserves a little leeway because it's not a graphic in the sense of an infographic created by a designer. It's a mathematical "graph" and the programs that generate these don't always do a good job of untangling them, and sometimes it's not possible to untangle them.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think this deserves a little leeway because it's not a graphic in the sense of an infographic created by a designer. It's a mathematical "graph" and the programs that generate these don't always do a good job of untangling them, and sometimes it's not possible to untangle them.

Someone still chose to publish it as is.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I think it does a pretty good job of showing that money laundering schemes are (intentionally) loving complicated.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ikanreed posted:

Owns.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

whats the 2006 volleyball incident

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

If you weren't there you'll never believe.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ikanreed posted:

Someone still chose to publish it as is.

That might be the best you can get for that graph. It's not something that's ever going to look good.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ultrafilter posted:

That might be the best you can get for that graph. It's not something that's ever going to look good.

We appear to be having an argument on the internet, let me consult my flow chart for this situation

Pedantic rear end in a top hat.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The right way to launder money is scale up so you're worth more to the bank than whatever penalties they're subject to, and then let them handle that poo poo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

shame on an IGA posted:

The right way to launder money is scale up so you're worth more to the bank than whatever penalties they're subject to, and then let them handle that poo poo

Yep.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Here all the money laundering is done in Suntan Salons, you don't have to record how many customers you have, no on cares what you charge and you have no product overheads. If you're cutting about Edinburgh and wonder why there are quite so many tanning salons that always seem to be empty, there you go.

something shady going on at those tanning salons

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Solariums were outlawed in Australia in 2015 because people kept getting cancer directly linked to them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why in god's name do you need a tanning booth in loving australia? The sun is right there, you drilled a loving hole in the ozone to get better access to it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

OwlFancier posted:

Why in god's name do you need a tanning booth in loving australia? The sun is right there, you drilled a loving hole in the ozone to get better access to it.

Well, it wasn't necessarily us that drilled the hole, but yes, exactly.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Who wants a nice fresh version

It's the same thing, just on this page and not something you have to go to Twitter for.

I just want to point out she's put "Epstein didn't kill himself" on the same "we have questions" level as "Princess Diana" (was assassinated by the Royal Family) which is a questionable choice to say teh least.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Other than being a bit "graph design is my passion"y what's wrong with this graph?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

ikanreed posted:

Other than being a bit "graph design is my passion"y what's wrong with this graph?

It's typical marketing stuff, with axes with no numbering, a vague blob for the product they're selling vs. tightly defined squares for literally every other computer on the market, and the vague definition of the axes.

Imagine the same graph, but replace "power consumption" with "fuel consumption", "Macs with Apple silicon" with "BMW," "Notebooks" with "Hybrids," and "Desktops" with "Sports cars". The intended message is relatively clear, but it's nothing more than vague marketing drivel, and the vagueness means it's probably completely made up.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

ookiimarukochan posted:

I just want to point out she's put "Epstein didn't kill himself" on the same "we have questions" level as "Princess Diana" (was assassinated by the Royal Family) which is a questionable choice to say teh least.

Your post says everything any response to it could possibly say

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ookiimarukochan posted:

lol

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Cichlidae posted:

It's typical marketing stuff, with axes with no numbering, a vague blob for the product they're selling vs. tightly defined squares for literally every other computer on the market, and the vague definition of the axes.

Imagine the same graph, but replace "power consumption" with "fuel consumption", "Macs with Apple silicon" with "BMW," "Notebooks" with "Hybrids," and "Desktops" with "Sports cars". The intended message is relatively clear, but it's nothing more than vague marketing drivel, and the vagueness means it's probably completely made up.

Oh I didn't even understand the fact that the blue area was supposed to mean something.

I thought it was macbook notebooks and macbook desktops and their relative CPU/power usage to each other.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ookiimarukochan posted:

On a similar note, I think an important distinction in the blue section is "Things that really happened" is not the same as "How conspiracy theorists think a thing happened."

MKUltra was a real program. It did not, however, discover secret telepathy and mind control like conspiracy theorists claim.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Cichlidae posted:

I mean, it’s from their keynote and for products that haven’t actually been released yet (and therefore haven’t been benchmarked). What else would you expect other than marketing-speak “float like a butterfly sting like a bee” type stuff?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Dienes posted:

MKUltra was a real program. It did not, however, discover secret telepathy and mind control like conspiracy theorists claim.

The US Psyop division fabricated MK ultra as a smokescreen. Just lol if you think the CIA even exists.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Outrail posted:

The US Psyop division fabricated MK ultra as a smokescreen. Just lol if you think the CIA even exists.
The CIA is an NYPD black project that went a bit too far.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dienes posted:

On a similar note, I think an important distinction in the blue section is "Things that really happened" is not the same as "How conspiracy theorists think a thing happened."

It's important to note that they tried all kinds of poo poo to make/discover psychic people and astral viewing. So the actual distinction is between thinking they got it working or didn't.

The CIA can't kill people with their minds. But they tried really hard to make it a reality.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's important to note that they tried all kinds of poo poo to make/discover psychic people and astral viewing. So the actual distinction is between thinking they got it working or didn't.

The CIA can't kill people with their minds. But they tried really hard to make it a reality.

So you're saying it was a real program they had, but they didn't discover secret telepathy and mind control.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dienes posted:

Or they're mind controlling you to make you think they didn't discover it... :tinfoil:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/LackingSaint/status/1313907263594287104?s=20

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The CIA can easily kill you with their mind, they just have to go through a few steps like orders, soldiers and drones.

Isn't the line the author intended more like "we can't actually be 100% sure, but 90% is enough" Vs "yeah, that is 100% not a thing". Like Diana probably wasn't assassinated, but who the hell knows, whereas there is absolutely no way there is one plesiosaur living in a Scottish lake.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I believe in lake monsters.

I just believe that they're things like sturgeon, which are hideous spiny bottom feeders that can get twenty feet long, and I think that qualifies as a monster pretty nicely.

Also a lot of them are endangered so leave them alone.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BonHair posted:

there is absolutely no way there is one plesiosaur living in a Scottish lake.

Exactly! You'd need at least a breeding pair.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SiKboy posted:

Exactly! You'd need at least a breeding pair.

Poor inbred Loch Ness monsters.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

OK fine, there can be more Nessies. Gawd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I always enjoy imagining that people are talking about the wrong CIA.