Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Witcher 1 and 2 have not aged well in the gameplay department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I played 2 last year and it's fine imo, bit clunky but no real issues.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Games without jump buttons rustle my jimmies.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Witcher 2's tutorial is so loving baaaaaaaaaad

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arcsquad12 posted:

Witcher 1 and 2 have not aged well in the gameplay department.

Witcher 1 hasn't really aged well in any department imo.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Witcher 2 starts off really slowly with a boring fight section using a crappy combat system, and the game assumes I know who Geralt is and who Triss Merigold is and who the king of Temeria is and what they're doing.

Witcher 3 is much better. Geralt's gaggle of sorceresses who are his friends-with-benefits has always struck me as very corny though.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Zedd posted:

Hbomb doing NV is going to make me lose like 60hours of my life replaying NV.

More like 200 hours for me :allears:

Grapplejack posted:

Knowing hbomb it'll be "fallout new Vegas is an awful mess and here's why"

Uh, what? Hbomb loves NV.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm a dummy and did a new playthrough in anticipation of each DLC release pretty much.

Same. I also played it like 8 times since then. I've probably put in like 3000 hours into it total

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Casey Finnigan posted:

Witcher 3 is much better.

:wrong:

I should play NV next though. I have fond memories of both Old World Blues and Dead Money.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

and the game assumes I know who Geralt is and who Triss Merigold is

I mean.. its the second game in a series and both of them are in the first one...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Replaying NV would be nice but I'm currently replaying The Witcher and my opinion of the games is rapidly deteriorating to the point that I'm contemplating writing a long "The games are bad, actually" post and then deleting it without ever posting…

Pop culture tells me that's a form of therapy so that might be a good idea.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Games without jump buttons rustle my jimmies.

It's fine if they replace it with a decent mantling system. When you really think about it, the way jumping works in video games is a vestigial holdover from a time where games were far more abstract. People don't actually jump like that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Antigravitas posted:

I'm contemplating writing a long "The games are bad, actually" post and then deleting it without ever posting…

I wonder if a more modern version of that would be making a long youtube video about it... and then deleting that instead.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Antigravitas posted:

I find it impossible to "base" my English on any particular accent at all. It's a wild mish-mash of spellings and pronunciations and trying to keep it "pure" is a conscious (and futile) effort. My teachers used British English since the Isles are close and were easy to travel to.

Oh, I don't mean that the consciously base it on American English, all I mean is that they subconsciously base it on the media they consume, when it comes to pronunciations it's far more common to use the American one with a local accent attached to it.

I'm not saying that people decide that they want to use the American one as a base, it just happens naturally.

I don't think I was clear enough in my original post, I might still not be...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SCheeseman posted:

It's fine if they replace it with a decent mantling system. When you really think about it, the way jumping works in video games is a vestigial holdover from a time where games were far more abstract. People don't actually jump like that.

Always bugged me in Mass Effect 2 how you had to lock to cover first before you could mantle over it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Archer666 posted:

Considering how often he talks about starting a project and how long it takes to finish one, I look forward to the New Vegas video in 2030.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1313869595682504712

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
witcher 1 is straight up bad, witcher 2 is a little jank in some respects but not terrible, witcher 3 is a full-on Good Game

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Witcher 1 has that same kind of haphazard charm to it that a lot of relatively low-budget RPGs do. It's unpolished, but the writing and quest design stuck out to me as impressive at a time when a lot of AAA games were becoming more simplified. I've spoken in the past about how much I like Fallout 3, for example, but the one aspect of that I absolutely won't defend is the main quest.

Witcher 2 is... alright. I still enjoyed it and I felt that the writing was as solid as before but it felt a lot more limited in scope. Standard middle-of-trilogy syndrome.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Witcher 3 is really good but imo that has a lot more to do with the story, incredible voice and animation work, and breathtakingly beautiful and immersive world CDPR built. In terms of actual gameplay Witcher 3 can get unbearable repetitive, 95% of missions are just follow Geralt's Witcher VisionTM through a series of predetermined points until Geralt comes up with a conclusion to resolve the quest, then fight a thing by clicking on it a lot and occasionally rolling or tell somebody you're not going to fight the thing. The combat itself is also at best serviceable, and fighting some enemies like trolls or anything that can put up a shield is just a boring slog.

Then again I also really like KOTOR 2 so I'm much more forgiving of "suffer the gameplay for the sake of the rest" type games.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I actually think Witcher 2 is better than its sequel despite the QTEs and shipping a control scheme that has WASD unbound if you are dumb like me and select the control scheme matching your keyboard. Still mad about that wild goose chase of trying to figure out why I couldn't move.

The reason is that Witcher 2 isn't padded to poo poo. That is a quality in itself.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jamie Faith posted:

Uh, what? Hbomb loves NV.

Hbomb loves being a contrarian!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Out of the entire trilogy I must admit Witcher 2 is my favorite. All 3 games have decent gameplay (Tho 1 only worked in its time period and even then, just barely) with some weird combat design decisions. I liked the more focused scope and the middle of the game being different depending on your choices, and just how your choices overall rippled through the story.

Also 1 had the best music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6uVeCzUhw0

It'd be cool if he would do that, but I'm gonna wait and see. Also whatever happened to that game he was making that he mentioned in a few of his videos?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F_tuZpJuhc

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It was indeed The Jar. Alex even looks like the protagonist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsnzlIests4

I mean, I'm also a late 20s arts major with a red beard but you don't see me going around making pretentious college films or postmodern RPGs. I just try to spitball ideas for a fantasy novel, try and fail to manage time for my writing projects and fulltime work and generally try to keep from having a mental breakdown as I struggle to reconcile with the world around me.

Or you know, bearded arts majors wearing plaid shirts are just an accepted image.

i took history and i am probably hosed career wise. if i had an arts degree and video/writing skills, i could just become hot take media critic and make money off patreon.

Antigravitas posted:

Replaying NV would be nice but I'm currently replaying The Witcher and my opinion of the games is rapidly deteriorating to the point that I'm contemplating writing a long "The games are bad, actually" post and then deleting it without ever posting…

witcher 1 is a mixed bag cult hit that honestly isnt that great but plants the seeds for better games, 2 is also mixed bag but it does various things better and than 3 is pretty great over all.

Mr Phillby posted:

The greak YIIK debate: is the game intentionally wasting your time or is it just badly designed?

Maybe its both?

The game is constantly referential to the stuff that influenced it but its almost dementedly misguided in almost every case. I really do suspect the slog of a battle system is entirely because they wanted to have it play like earthbound and paper mario at the same time but missed what made either appealing so instead of short minigames that have a clear affect on your attacks you have long minigames that sometimes don't appear to do anything.

See also the very clear lack of playtesting.

so its basicaly ready player one THE GAME but it might be somewhat selfaware.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 7, 2020

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Witcher 2 had the best antagonist and maybe the most interesting plot.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Leal posted:

I mean.. its the second game in a series and both of them are in the first one...

I mean usually sequels will try to establish the character in a general way in the beginning. The Witcher 3 does that pretty well, it shows Vesimir and Geralt tracking down Yennefer and reconstructing the scene, letting you know they're skilled at tracking and that Yennefer fled from a battle. The tutorial has Yennefer, Vesimir, and Geralt in it, developing their relationship (showing why Yennefer is important to them) and introducing Ciri. The beginning in White Orchard introduces the player to the role of a witcher, fighting monsters and helping townsfolk for pay.

The Witcher 2 has an intro scene where only Letho appears and he kills some king. Then it has a weird tutorial that's disconnected from everything, where Geralt makes his first appearance and you give a guy a potion and fight some people, hunting exactly 0 monsters. There's a text scroll and an interrogation scene which don't give any information about who Geralt is besides that he's a professional monster slayer. And then the opening scenes just have the characters chatting away in a military camp. If you don't already know who Geralt is, the game gives you no reason to care. Not everyone buys or plays through every game in a series. Especially Witcher 1 which is hard to go back to and starts with Geralt having amnesia for a while.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Witcher 2 had the best antagonist and maybe the most interesting plot.

sorta. i mean i loved letho and Nazi commander Roche. but outside that. ehh. its too up its own rear end with the minutia of the realms geopolitics. 3 does that too but its way easier to understand.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorta. i mean i loved letho and Nazi commander Roche. but outside that. ehh. its too up its own rear end with the minutia of the realms geopolitics. 3 does that too but its way easier to understand.

Yeah. The Nilfgaardian ambassador who gives you the rundown in 3 of how the nations are currently at feels very organic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While Witcher 2 doesn't quite hit the tone of the books, the thing it does better than the other two games is nail the structure of sapkowski's novels. There are dozens of little asides and out if context vignettes in the books that shine a spotlight on other areas of the world. They often don't make sense on their own but they provide context to the reader and player even if Geralt is in the dark when he reacts to proceedings out of his control. Witcher 2 absolutely nails that aspect of the series when you suddenly take control of different characters and go through dialogue and actions that they are in control of, even if the player doesn't immediately know what is happening. Geralt is not the savior of the world and major events do not always hinge on his choices.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. The Nilfgaardian ambassador who gives you the rundown in 3 of how the nations are currently at feels very organic.

yeah. i like that he is straight with you instead of giving you some bullshit about how nilfgaard is winning forever and such. i also like how there isnt really good choice politically but their is a worst choice and thats gotten by being an a indifferent rear end in a top hat.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Hey speaking of Hbomberguy, Remember in his RWBY video he pointed out how one of the writers, Ryan Haywood, described an underaged character as "the perfect girl" and he even voiced a character romantically involved with that character? Remember how weird that was? well....

https://twitter.com/RyanTheTwit/status/1313598106081132547

https://twitter.com/akratic_/status/1313573218075074560

:yikes:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Jamie Faith posted:

Also :wtc: :yikes: :stonk:

Just burn Rooster Teeth to the ground at this point

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"I never did anything illegal" is definitely my go-to defense in the court of public opinion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_C_RFa6v90

This video is a few months old but lawnmowers are instruments now.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Jamie Faith posted:

Hey speaking of Hbomberguy, Remember in his RWBY video he pointed out how one of the writers, Ryan Haywood, described an underaged character as "the perfect girl" and he even voiced a character romantically involved with that character? Remember how weird that was? well....

https://twitter.com/RyanTheTwit/status/1313598106081132547

https://twitter.com/akratic_/status/1313573218075074560

:yikes:

That's not the same guy, Haywood was never a writer on the show, and he did voice a character but it wasn't one that had a romantic plot.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

That's not the same guy, Haywood was never a writer on the show, and he did voice a character but it wasn't one that had a romantic plot.

Oh poo poo my bad! Someone on a discord server told me it was the same person. Thanks for the correction.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If nothing his twitter handle is on point.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_C_RFa6v90

This video is a few months old but lawnmowers are instruments now.

Just for the sake of mentioning it, Mick Gordon's video on the creation of the new Doom soundtrack this references is must-watch on its own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY

Also:
OKI delves into the origins of Alex Jones' "Turning the frogs gay remark" into an investigation on corporate interference into science. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5uSbp0YDhc

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, Ryan's a pretty huge part of the on camera team though so him involved in something like is pretty buck wild regardless, it's just less 'oh god we shoulda seen this coming'!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Haywood disabled comments on his admission tweet but not on the one before so it’s a mix of “I believe you!” and similar with a side of “How is Phasmophobia?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

The Roosterteeth poo poo is wild, Ryan and Adam Kovic got gigabytes of nudes leaked over the weekend and then it came out Ryan was using his influence to gently caress around with fans. A bunch of Kovic's leaks were in their offices so they fired both of them today.

https://twitter.com/RoosterTeeth/status/1313972166703149057

Kovic hasn't said anything yet but blacked out, locked, and unfollowed everyone on Twitter:

And this from one of Ryan's twitch mods:
https://twitter.com/OhDeerBambi/status/1313926507258015744