Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpqdYt9hw2g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Glorgnole posted:

that came up in The Algebraist, where a) it is quite hard, and b) the water aliens end up being smug about it

I think the dwellers are my favourite banks species

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Just finished Embassytown and it makes no loving sense. What was at least an interesting problem (the absurd) washed away by MAGICAL VIRAL SEMIOTICS?

Protagonists journey from eager imperialist to anti-colonialist revolutionary was also completely unearned, like they got 85% of the way through and realized “wait, she’s a bit poo poo, innit?” and then she reads Space Fanon off-screen.

And the newly-enlightened noble savages even speak English because: of course they do!

:jerkbag:

E: Oh, and miss me with this “People totes just invent ideograms on the spot, guys!” poo poo...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

SmokaDustbowl posted:

water aliens suck the worst because how do you even invent fire or discover electricity underwater

what if they're electric eels

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

Just finished Embassytown and it makes no loving sense. What was at least an interesting problem (the absurd) washed away by MAGICAL VIRAL SEMIOTICS?

Protagonists journey from eager imperialist to anti-colonialist revolutionary was also completely unearned, like they got 85% of the way through and realized “wait, she’s a bit poo poo, innit?” and then she reads Space Fanon off-screen.

And the newly-enlightened noble savages even speak English because: of course they do!

:jerkbag:

E: Oh, and miss me with this “People totes just invent ideograms on the spot, guys!” poo poo...

yeah that book was a waste of a really good premise, like mieville was so in love with the idea he got distracted from writing an actual story

iirc the "savages" had to speak english though because the bad guy was loving up their native language so bad

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
based on everything said here i popped 2x benzodiazepine for seaquest s2 e3 where the aliens come back to earth and its goddamn amazing now.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

people who insist on being called trekkers instead of trekkies are extremely suspect

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
trekklers

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
trekists

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

trekists

treksters?

trekstars

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
trekholes

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

trekphiles, but i guess that’s redundant

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PCjr sidecar posted:

people who insist on being called trekkers instead of trekkies are extremely suspect

if they need a title for their fandom i suspect them

if for star trek doubly so

i like some though so i'm guilty (the orville was good and i hope they make more)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

treksters?

trekstars

trekistas

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

i like some though so i'm guilty (the orville was good and i hope they make more)

it was a fine tng-like considering post tng is ds9 but also voyager and enterprise

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

if they need a title for their fandom i suspect them

:hmmyes:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
trekaholism

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
trekistanis

so i'm watching gemini man (lol) cuz it's free on prime and the action in it is so bad. unbelievably bad. worse than the dinosaurs in jurassic park bad. everything is made of plasticine and has negative inertia. it's a total joke.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ok if you don't think the dinosaurs in Jurassic park are rad I don't even know what to say to you

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the story made no sense, the action scenes were laughable, never any real stakes or pathos

perfect mindless action flick imo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
young will smith going all bmx bandit (but with a motorcycle) on old will smith was funny as gently caress

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jabor posted:

the story made no sense, the action scenes were laughable, never any real stakes or pathos

perfect mindless action flick imo

mindless action flick should have good action

it doesnt need to be john wick precision but idk, even Shoot 'Em Up or Equilibrium has silly good action scenes

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

worse than the dinosaurs in jurassic park bad.

the jp dinos were amazing :confused:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
yeah for the 90s. i'm saying we've regressed, like in a lot of other things i guess

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Roosevelt posted:

the jp dinos were amazing :confused:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

yeah for the 90s. i'm saying we've regressed, like in a lot of other things i guess

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Trexual offenders

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

angel summoner

and bmx bandit

animist
Aug 28, 2018
reading house of leaves, it's kinda fun

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

animist posted:

got it for xmas and i keep meaning to start, thanks for the reminder

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i also finally decided to watch the sopranos. good pilot but no one ever mentioned that tone is introduced as a crying dipshit all hosed up about ducks lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

animist posted:

skip his second one, Only Revolutions

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Uptime Sinclair posted:

got it for xmas and i keep meaning to start, thanks for the reminder

same and same. i shamefully moved it to the shelf and it faded away in the queue

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i also finally decided to watch the sopranos. good pilot but no one ever mentioned that tone is introduced as a crying dipshit all hosed up about ducks lol

that's like the whole point of the show

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

animist posted:

i mean walt whitman was cool but idk if i'd consider that one "fun"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean walt whitman was cool but idk if i'd consider that one "fun"

that's legit what I think whenever anyone talks about that book

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i have tried to read walden like SO MANY TIMES but i just cant get past like 30 pages of talking about how to stay warm

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I GET IT!! it's cold. OK. gotcha. please move on.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

rotor posted:

I GET IT!! it's cold. OK. gotcha. please move on.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45081/the-cremation-of-sam-mcgee

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

its rough living in your mothers lake house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
walt whitman was a pederast