Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

At least we're not CD

Facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fargo thread’s up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3943119

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Escobarbarian posted:

iirc they definitely did “erstwhile on Fargo” and stuff in previous seasons

You recall correctly

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Vanderdeath posted:

It still shocks me how quickly the BA video empire imploded. All they had to do was pay their POC employees an equal wage and they just went "HAHA NOPE" and stopped everything.

The whole thing is so stupidly shoot-yourself-in-the-foot racist; lets shut off this money printer because of 'reasons'(racist reasons) and some kind of deference to conde nast being a legendary publisher that doesn't have to kowtow to modern ideals of equality.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Good Lord Bird episode 1 owned

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/tomandlorenzo/status/1313854511795011584

It isn't very long and worth a read

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ExpanseOnPrime/status/1313841515299442688

Wonder what they're gonna do about Cas Anvar and the Alex character

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Push him out an airlock.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

I missed what he did, but I just googled it. Urg sucks, and he shouldn’t be back unless they filmed his stuff before these allegations came out.

Edit: which would be better a) recast b) kill off character or c) have the character accidentally burn off his face and he (new actor of course) has to wear a gimp mask the rest of the series?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 7, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Recast the role with the first Mr. Avasarala actor

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My understanding is that they already finished filming for s5 before the news broke so he's probably still going to be around for that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vanderdeath posted:

It still shocks me how quickly the BA video empire imploded. All they had to do was pay their POC employees an equal wage and they just went "HAHA NOPE" and stopped everything.

It reminds me a lot of the Channel Awesome debacle, which places Condé Nast management at the level of the guy who makes a living screaming and shooting a fake gun.

I look forward to their 90-minute Pink Floyd ripoff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which one was Channel Awesome and what was the drama. Dish gurl!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

https://www.salon.com/2018/04/22/the-triumph-and-tragedy-of-channel-awesome/

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ah so its a different conde nast shitstorm from the bon appetit bullshit

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Do you know the Nostalgia Critic? He's Doug Walker, a guy with a beard and glasses who has a bunch of videos where he mocked old movies, mostly bad childrens' fare from the 80s and 90s. (Hence, Nostalgia.) "I remember it so you don't have to." Back in the day he was very popular and had a website, ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com, where other people did semi-comic reviews of things like old cartoons, video games, etc. Lindsay Ellis got her start there as "the Nostalgia Chick", Alison Pregler was there under some name I forget, there were others.

Basically the site was set up so that ad revenue from each video you uploaded was split between you and the site owners- Walker, his brother, and Mike Michaud. That wasn't the main issue, the main issue was just that it was a lovely business run by people who didn't know how to run a business and defaulted on the side of being dicks to the people working for them. They fired people for arbitrary reasons, forced everyone to participate in awful "crossover" films for no pay (and had to be told that they needed to have things like water on set), were generally abusive, and there was an IndieGoGo for a lovely game show that they did film but no really it was a disaster. It wasn't all at once, some left early and at the time it looked like they were just looking to strike out on their own, but in 2018 they released a big Google Doc detailing how lovely working at Channel Awesome was.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WZFkR__B3Mk9EYQglvislMUx9HWvWhOaBP820UBa4dA/preview#heading=h.v89be0jiemu0

This led many other of the freelancers working for them to quit, and as of now it's like a few guys who are close to the Walkers + Michaud. Sometime last year, I think, Doug did a "review" of Pink Floyd's The Wall (the film version) which took the form of a 90 minute musical "concept album". This wasn't unethical or anything it was just really embarrassing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My brain automatically thought of a different Channel Awesome b/c I completely forgot That Guy With the Glasses was also called that.

So I assume it's Nostalgia Critic drama.

e: fb

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Do you know the Nostalgia Critic? He's Doug Walker, a guy with a beard and glasses who has a bunch of videos where he mocked old movies, mostly bad childrens' fare from the 80s and 90s. (Hence, Nostalgia.) "I remember it so you don't have to." Back in the day he was very popular and had a website, ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com, where other people did semi-comic reviews of things like old cartoons, video games, etc. Lindsay Ellis got her start there as "the Nostalgia Chick", Alison Pregler was there under some name I forget, there were others.

Basically the site was set up so that ad revenue from each video you uploaded was split between you and the site owners- Walker, his brother, and Mike Michaud. That wasn't the main issue, the main issue was just that it was a lovely business run by people who didn't know how to run a business and defaulted on the side of being dicks to the people working for them. They fired people for arbitrary reasons, forced everyone to participate in awful "crossover" films for no pay (and had to be told that they needed to have things like water on set), were generally abusive, and there was an IndieGoGo for a lovely game show that they did film but no really it was a disaster. It wasn't all at once, some left early and at the time it looked like they were just looking to strike out on their own, but in 2018 they released a big Google Doc detailing how lovely working at Channel Awesome was.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WZFkR__B3Mk9EYQglvislMUx9HWvWhOaBP820UBa4dA/preview#heading=h.v89be0jiemu0

This led many other of the freelancers working for them to quit, and as of now it's like a few guys who are close to the Walkers + Michaud. Sometime last year, I think, Doug did a "review" of Pink Floyd's The Wall (the film version) which took the form of a 90 minute musical "concept album". This wasn't unethical or anything it was just really embarrassing.

Oh the Nostalgia Critic, yeah that guy was terrible. Lindsay Ellis and Todd in the Shadows one-hit-wonders retrospectives were they only thing I ever liked on that site

quote:

"We were all starstruck by each other," Kaylyn Saucedo ("MarzGurl") told Salon. "Not just by Doug or by James Rolfe [the Angry Video Game Nerd] being there in the room with us, but with each other. We loved being with each other. And that was the best thing about being with Channel Awesome on a whole: the other producers. The other producers were great!"

Starstruck by avgn lol

Lindsay is doing extremely well for herself, in addition to her youtube channel she just published a best-selling sci-fi debut novel. I bet that really pisses off the Spoony Bard or whatever

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 7, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Oh the Nostalgia Critic, yeah that guy was terrible. Lindsay Ellis and Todd in the Shadows one-hit-wonders retrospectives were they only thing I ever liked on that site

Starstruck by avgn lol

Lindsay is doing extremely well for herself, in addition to her youtube channel she just published a best-selling sci-fi debut novel. I bet that really pisses off the Spoony Bard or whatever

Yep and it's a good book!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lindsay's work is extremely enjoyable so I'm glad she got away from those cockwaffles.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A lot of people on my twitter feed were talking about Emily in Paris so I watched the first episode. It’s awful! So bad. And I’m pretty sure the depiction of the French is borderline offensive.

However I have also been catching up with Lovecraft Country and it’s insanely good. The episode 5 conclusion, holy gently caress

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This was very well made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLx2QAXRDaE

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I finally got around to watching the second season of Infinity Train (not helped by never seeing any ads from CN that it even existed) and it goes to some interesting places. Season 2 follows the mirror version of Tulip from s1's The Chrome Car and finds her trying to figure out what happens when the entire point of your existence was to just help someone else come to a personal revelation.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

The Good Lord Bird episode 1 owned

It did indeed own.

A hell of a lot funnier/lighter than I was expecting, but I think I appreciate that. Don't know if I could deal with a gritty 12 Years a Slave type miniseries.

Also, if Hawke keeps this up, he's an Emmy shoe-in right? The Emmys love giving awards to movie actors and this performance is bonkers. Unlike anything I've seen Hawke do, which is usually super under-stated.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

So I finally got around to watching the second season of Infinity Train (not helped by never seeing any ads from CN that it even existed) and it goes to some interesting places. Season 2 follows the mirror version of Tulip from s1's The Chrome Car and finds her trying to figure out what happens when the entire point of your existence was to just help someone else come to a personal revelation.

Season 2 was so good omg. I haven’t seen 3 yet, but my understanding is it follows Kirby Howell-Baptiste as the leader of the high number gang we met in 2. I really need to get on it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Finished Deutschland 89, such a drat good trio.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/michaelausiello/status/1314167538092306441?s=21

God dammit!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DaveKap posted:

So far Fargo is really good so I'm sad there's not a thread for me to write my dumb analysis in.

My only misgiving about the show so far is that it has Noah Hawley's new "use a big dumb word to say "previously" for the "previously on my show" segment" thing has moved from Legion and on to Fargo. Any reminder of Legion's existence pisses me off.

What you got against legion

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Legion did get pretty bad in s2 and then 3 wasn’t enough of an improvement imo

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Legion was amazing, and every season was an improvement over the previous one.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Looten Plunder posted:

Also, if Hawke keeps this up, he's an Emmy shoe-in right? The Emmys love giving awards to movie actors and this performance is bonkers. Unlike anything I've seen Hawke do, which is usually super under-stated.

His five minute appearance as the space pimp in Valerian was pretty out there, in a good way.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mothersucking cockfuckers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was on my list of poo poo to catch up on, guess there's no point now.

I was thinking about this last night, Covid is probably gonna stop just as much bad tv from being made as good tv. I wonder what socially distanced reality TV is going to look like.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

I wonder what socially distanced reality TV is going to look like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Where's the auditions being held?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

Where's the auditions being held?

Zoom.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How am I supposed to test fit a body condom via webcam?

THIS IS THE MOST BULLSHIT

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

That was on my list of poo poo to catch up on, guess there's no point now.

I was thinking about this last night, Covid is probably gonna stop just as much bad tv from being made as good tv. I wonder what socially distanced reality TV is going to look like.

I know about a cooking show (and a couple scripted ones) that is filming by isolating all of their cast and crew in a hotel for a couple months and stopping them from leaving. It’s brutal, but crew used to making $3k/week are very very hungry, even more after the Bernie Bux ran dry.

Also, there have been a few productions shut down for tests. There are some jobs that use a cheaper saliva test that kicks off a ton of “inconclusive” results, which have to be treated as positive until better tests are done. There was another job that had a scare because they had an inconclusive on someone named Megan and for some reason, their software marked everyone named Megan as potentially infected.

gently caress commercials. Those are plague pools still doing poo poo like dumping 15 untested rush calls into a van and forging results because they don’t shoot long enough for someone to shut them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

dammit, I really wanted to see where they were going with this show.