Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I love how much the people making this show love this show :3:

Very excited for Gosalyn and her two dads to finally all meet and become a family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I am so hyped for even the tiny possibility that Launchpad might marry a dude.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Rand Brittain posted:

I am so hyped for even the tiny possibility that Launchpad might marry a dude.

Disney wouldn't even let Penumbra tell Launchpad she was gay...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

speaking as a bi nonbinary person, I dunno, I don't really like the idea of Drake/Launchpad. Part of it's my attachment to Darkwing and Morgana from my childhood, and the other part of it is that Launchpad idolizing Drake's heroic identity makes it feel weird for me.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Darkwing is already married - to JUSTICE.

Justice is a dude. But still, JUSTICE.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nodosaur posted:

speaking as a bi nonbinary person, I dunno, I don't really like the idea of Drake/Launchpad. Part of it's my attachment to Darkwing and Morgana from my childhood, and the other part of it is that Launchpad idolizing Drake's heroic identity makes it feel weird for me.

Thing is they're technically both fanboys of the character, just one got to take up the mantle.

Funky Valentine posted:

Darkwing is already married - to JUSTICE.

Justice is a dude. But still, JUSTICE.

Have we established Launchpad's middle name?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I don't think I'm ready for the terror that flaps in the night. Ah, screw it, let's get dangerous.

(*Webby's excited noises*)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

More info:

https://www.etonline.com/stephanie-beatriz-and-james-monroe-iglehart-drop-by-ducktales-darkwing-episode-first-look-exclusive

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I didn't really see it as shipping, more Launchpad is a lovable bi lunkhead who likes the strong, muscle ladies. I think it's cool representation for bi people.

Penny is a purple-skinned person who did crazy stunts to save a pair of kids.

Drake is a purple-wearing person who does crazy stunts to save people.

I'm saying Launchpad has a type.

Nodosaur posted:

In the 90s cartoon, Launchpad did hero worship Darkwing Duck but modern Ducktales was careful to show that Launchpad and Drake are considered equals, and a huge part of that was by making them both be turbo nerds about Darkwing Duck. Launchpad doesn't know who Drake is at first, but he found someone who loves and respects the thing he loves the most. Drake doesn't know who Launchpad is at first, but he found someone who believed in him and inspired him to become a hero. Not to mention that the two seemed to equally matched when they fought. All things considered, it seems they're setting up Launchpad's role as less of a sidekick, and more Drake's partner.

Though speaking of Morgana, I kind of remember that she dated Darkwing but didn't seem to know his real identity? Though I think this got fixed in the DW comics when she had an adventure with Drake and the others.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Yeah, near as I can tell the Muddlefoots (other than Honker) never met Morgana. Herb and Binkie probably assumed Gosalyn had two dads, and Honker just never bothered to correct them, because they seemed fine with it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I dunno what else to say. I just don’t care for the pairing.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

I'll just take a moment to appreciate the wording "a father, a daughter and a Launchpad forming a found family".

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Late to the party but my favorite gag from the latest episode has to be Launchpad dragging a barrel across the floor

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MachuPikacchu posted:

Late to the party but my favorite gag from the latest episode has to be Launchpad dragging a barrel across the floor

Why? Sorry, but if that was a reference to something, I completely failed to notice it, much less get it. And now I want to get it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Everyone posted:

Why? Sorry, but if that was a reference to something, I completely failed to notice it, much less get it. And now I want to get it.

Think about the mechanics. Why are barrels?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Everyone posted:

He didn't just laboriously drag it the whole way, he dragged it almost where he needed then rolled it into the precise spot.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Killer robot posted:

He didn't just laboriously drag it the whole way, he dragged it almost where he needed then rolled it into the precise spot.

Which makes it better and worse at the same time.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

cant cook creole bream posted:

Think about the mechanics. Why are barrels?

Ack, I didn't think about that for even a second. I think I was too busy giggling at how everything that young Launchpad crashed/fell on somehow caught fire - even his little tricycle.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Everyone posted:

Ack, I didn't think about that for even a second. I think I was too busy giggling at how everything that young Launchpad crashed/fell on somehow caught fire - even his little tricycle.

Next season is about Donald and Launchpad finding out they're water and fire elementals

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Next season is about Donald and Launchpad finding out they're water and fire elementals

I could see that with Della as an air elemental and Scrooge an earth elemental.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Everyone posted:

Are you forgetting about the bush that spontaneously caught fire when he fell into it without the help of a vehicle?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I just like Launchpad's ballet lessons.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xelkelvos posted:

Are you forgetting about the bush that spontaneously caught fire when he fell into it without the help of a vehicle?

No, I specifically mentioned "fell on."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Maybe I am completely gay deaf, but growing up, I did not notice the slightest attraction between Launchpad and Darkwing. They were just two super hero dudes living together and DW happened to adopt an orphan.
I honestly think people are imaging something which is not there. Sure it might change this go around, but the show already has a misfit girl who got adopted by a gay couple.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Maybe I am completely gay deaf, but growing up, I did not notice the slightest attraction between Launchpad and Darkwing. They were just two super hero dudes living together and DW happened to adopt an orphan.
I honestly think people are imaging something which is not there. Sure it might change this go around, but the show already has a misfit girl who got adopted by a gay couple.

nobody's claiming there was in the 80's version afaik, but rather that it could be in the new one. there's a lot of grody poo poo that happened in 80's television, i'm not sure i'd want to see what they'd make of gay ducks back then.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

also we already have a straight pair (donald/daisy) stop pushing hetrosexuality down my throat

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Huh. Figured this would be pretty active by now. Didn't a new episode drop today?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
This looks like it's new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir95S_nJG0w

Also, holy poo poo yes.

[edit] I just realized they used the "Scourge that pecks at your nightmares" from the NES game. Unless they used that one elsewhere and I can't remember.

TVs Ian fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 12, 2020

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Owlson is the mayor of St Canard?! That's incredible!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Some Numbers posted:

Owlson is the mayor of St Canard?! That's incredible!

I'm not surprised. All the ladies in this show are incredibly competent. It's like that Walt Whitman poem

Boys go to Jupiter
To get more stupider
Girls go to Mars
Because it's a nice quiet place to study and train in order to destroy the patriarchy

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

it's certainly a very lazy show when it comes to gender politics. I'm not sure it even passes the Bechdel test, as a lazy pop culture goalpost to hit.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

T-man posted:

it's certainly a very lazy show when it comes to gender politics. I'm not sure it even passes the Bechdel test, as a lazy pop culture goalpost to hit.

What do you think the Bechdel test consists of?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

drunkencarp posted:

What do you think the Bechdel test consists of?

It's when two named female characters have a conversation about something other than a moon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ZTih9g_FY

there is also a clip

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://twitter.com/SamanthaCKing/status/1315862787013312514

Sam King's twitter is a pro follow

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Goldie episode!

Seems like she's softened up a little too quickly, but then again, given the episode's themes I think she's gotten a pretty abject lesson in everything stolen has to come from somewhere, and some things can't be replaced. Also, seems she enjoys having friends, and realises not everyone is going to be as forgiving as Scrooge. Though I can guarantee you she copied out every page of Isabella Finch's journal.

Interesting possible shout out to Pirates of the Caribbean, or maybe rather the book they used for the plot of On Stranger Tides, since the fountain of youth works about the same way. Also hey, a New World explorer actually being shown as a massive rear end in a top hat who treats human life as his to spend!. Also Rockerduck's state reminds me a bit of Redmond and Blutarch in Team Fortress 2.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Goldie episode!

I honestly don't think her dynamics are going to change too much going forward. She and Scrooge will still try to one up each other, they genuinely enjoy their contests, it was the betrayals that hurt.
And yeah, she totally copied the journal, it's more opportunities to adventure with Scroogie sign her up.

I liked how Louie figured out the twist in about five seconds from first suspicions.

Random thoughts: is Rockerduck going to be a better father to Adam Frankenstein* than that deadbeat of Victor? He actually picked him up instead of utterly rejecting and abandoning him so I think he already wins by default.
*he was called Adam I think and as Victor's son he gets the surname

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I was not expecting this weeks episode to be a G-rated version of A Cure for Wellness, but that's absolutely what it was. I don't think the writers did it on purpose, it's just kind of a fun coincidence that a show about cartoon ducks and a gothic horror movie both have a plot that involves using an evil spa to steal people's life energy through water.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I was not expecting this weeks episode to be a G-rated version of A Cure for Wellness, but that's absolutely what it was. I don't think the writers did it on purpose, it's just kind of a fun coincidence that a show about cartoon ducks and a gothic horror movie both have a plot that involves using an evil spa to steal people's life energy through water.

I would not at all bet against the writers doing it on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Omobono posted:

I liked how Louie figured out the twist in about five seconds from first suspicions.

This is turning out to be his thing after all.

And I think more with Goldie it's that she's less outright treacherous when the kids are around; the game between her and Scrooge competing for dubious sources of wealth and fortune is well enough, but they both know what they're getting into, while the kids are more in it for the fun and discovery and less hardened and more friendly than Scrooge is. And hey, being honorary auntie is the best of both worlds; you get to have the adorable tykes around as long as you can stand them but never had to deal with the diapers and tantrums, and as soon as you head off they're Donald and Della's problem again.