Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Curious if you think vertical vs horizontal positioning would affect the efficacy of the liquid metal cooling the processor or not, is that a dumb question?
cpus that get LM added are generally kept vertical so it's an open question for how long before it pools down. only test i've saw was after 1 year and thermal change was margin of error

i expect an update on that soon as it was a couple of years ago and targeted at enthusiasts looking for short-term gains over long-term longevity. there's just insufficient data over how it stands the test of time though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is the metal gallium?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

That was what the patent said afaik.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
In the post apocalyptic future of 2024, a new Bronze Age will begin when people realize they can harvest copper from PS5s. A new religion will develop.

“By my deeds I honor him. Knack 3!”

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is the metal gallium?

Liquid metal TIM is usually a mix of gallium, indium and tin

Bad things happen if you use it with aluminium heatsinks

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Let's start posting about the extremely cool new trend of the PS5 Liquid Metal Challenge so I can watch videos of dumb influencers drinking the liquid metal out of their PS5s.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pulcinella posted:

“By my deeds I honor him. Knack 3!”
Reminds me of the Netflix show Love and Monsters where a bunch of robots gawk at dumb humans that died of a plague.

They come across an Xbox Unlimited and they laugh at one of the bits because "holy poo poo is that your great great great grandma?!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I know how well gallium fucks up aluminum from dumb DaveHax videos on YouTube

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Love & Robots is like Animatrix level good, IMO. Not every slice is a banger but overall extremely powerful package.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The main issue with Love, Death & Robots (Love and Monsters is that Doctor Who episode with the Peter Kay monster and pavement blowjob) is that Zima Blue is so good it makes all the other episodes look like dogshit in comparison

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That teardown video made me want more than almost anything else. Really amazingly made inside.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Love thinking about the insides when looking at the outsides

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Software company

vs
Hardware company

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't realize that Digital Foundry did a Series X teardown. Got a link? I didn't see it in their uploads.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It really drove home the idea that it’s not just a PC in a weird looking case.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Real hurthling! posted:

Software company

I'm so tired I thought they were tearing down an SNES Classic

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The size of PS5 has been greatly exaggerated.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
That PS5 heatsink is loving massive. Looks like it’s twice the size of the Series X one.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gotta sink all that heat

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Reminds me of how the NES was mostly heat sink as well unless my memory is playing tricks on me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If it is especially cool it it should mean they can get more power out of the system so maybe they see expensive cooling as cheaper alternative to more compute units etc

:iiam:

Edit: i asked smart people and they said no lol.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 8, 2020

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I wanna crack open the ps5 like a clam to get to it's sweet, sweet liquid metal cooling

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’m still curious what if any PS4 games actually won’t run on the PS5. Just bad games that no one cares about or some amazing game that just inexplicably doesn’t support it, like how Bloodborne never been patched for the PS4 Pro?

Edit: or like how Valkyrie Profile could never work with the PS3‘s emulator.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 8, 2020

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I didn't realize that Digital Foundry did a Series X teardown. Got a link? I didn't see it in their uploads.

Strictly speaking, not a teardown since that's a custom unit for demo purposes but it's an old video from March, couple of days before Cerny's PS5 presentation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cmclCjS5jg

Storm One fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 8, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Billy Gnosis posted:

Reminds me of how the NES was mostly heat sink as well unless my memory is playing tricks on me

The NES was mostly empty space, can’t recall it ever even having the tiniest bit of heat problems tbh

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

Software company

vs
Hardware company

vs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I see a storage locker full of trash vs a concept car engine block

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

From that angle it looks like a heat bucket, but I don't know the first thing about thermal design.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that PS5 teardown is so loving cool

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im excited to get some custom faceplates

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

I see a storage locker full of trash vs a concept car engine block

lmao

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That teardown video already has four million views, what the gently caress, lol.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They're gonna post a UI video in two days, just you watch.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm cool with not knowing what the UI is like until I'm looking at it on my TV.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shirkelton posted:

That teardown video already has four million views, what the gently caress, lol.
The chonkin fan and heat sink are cool, and there are nice touches in the motherboard design. It's a legit neat bit of construction.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lobok posted:

I'm cool with not knowing what the UI is like until I'm looking at it on my TV.

They probably have to reveal their new creator tools since streaming from ps4 is big for them and they want people to upgrade.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The UI is probably just gonna be PS4s but I dunno with everything slightly zoomed out more, maybe it has those sparkles the updated PS3 Slim UI had, I dunno I'm not expecting the world.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just want to know about BC, like how good is the "boost mode" will it be as good as the Series X's? Also if it'll do 1440p output but that's just a small annoyance if it doesn't.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm guessing there will be vented top covers so it cools better when lying down. It pretty clearly is meant to stand up, which sucks for nearly everyone with a sane entertainment system.

My only entertainment system will be the ps5. What will you get instead ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

why would it need to stand up lol