Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Inferior Third Season posted:

Chuds are going to show up with guns at polling places in swing state cities on election day, and the cops will do nothing about it.

Yeah I'm expecting chud drivebyes just to get the polling places shut down as crime scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aineris posted:

For God Sake people, obviously the Trump administration is mostly terrible, but occasionally they do objectively good things that the Democrats would never touch.

The latest example is H-1B Visa reform, which literally just happened yesterday: https://www.axios.com/trump-new-h-1b-visa-restrictions-0b6f023f-aafc-4595-883d-de7865d84b1e.html

Anyone in the tech sector would be able to tell you how bullshit contracting firms have been abusing the H-1B process to flood the market with low-wage foreign workers. It's been a giant problem for at least the last decade.

You people really suck sometimes. For a "debate" forum, you guys do a really lovely job of being open-minded.

You mean the thing where the Trump Administration is actively making it harder for people to immigrate legally by forcing a 'specialty occupation?"

Edit: Like you tried your hardest to pretend like this is a Good Thing but literally five seconds of research shows the actual facts about it.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1313955056325062657

lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Aineris posted:

For God Sake people, obviously the Trump administration is mostly terrible, but occasionally they do objectively good things that the Democrats would never touch.

The latest example is H-1B Visa reform, which literally just happened yesterday: https://www.axios.com/trump-new-h-1b-visa-restrictions-0b6f023f-aafc-4595-883d-de7865d84b1e.html

Anyone in the tech sector would be able to tell you how bullshit contracting firms have been abusing the H-1B process to flood the market with low-wage foreign workers. It's been a giant problem for at least the last decade.

You people really suck sometimes. For a "debate" forum, you guys do a really lovely job of being open-minded.

This is a loving hot take, and while H-1Bs are most certainly being abused, LMAO if you think this will solve it and that the GOP gives a flying gently caress about exploiting workers.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Facebook just needs to ban itself indefinitely

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Ban them now you shitheads.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Aineris posted:

Lol did you just meltdown about everyone being closed-minded because you were asked for an example backing up a claim you made on a debate forum

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Banning pumpkins effective immediately after Halloween!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Wow how brave of them.

Ban them now you dumb fucks. By November 3rd the damage will be done.

France banned political ads I believe like 2 weeks before the election in 2016 and that's probably what kept that Nazi bitch Marine Le Pen from getting elected.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Oh gently caress you, spineless little poo poo.

Political ads aren’t the only problem, Facebook is right wing infested over the entire site. You have idiots like Ben Shapiro and Dan Boingboing manipulating traffic to their pages and articles as well as right wing news sites doing the same. Facebook also takes delayed action on rooting out violent and conspiracy theorist right wing groups.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

You mean the thing where the Trump Administration is actively making it harder for people to immigrate legally by forcing a 'specialty occupation?"

Edit: Like you tried your hardest to pretend like this is a Good Thing but literally five seconds of research shows the actual facts about it.

My problem is when someone pokes their head out people hit it down without actually actually undercutting their argument. "You're dumb" isn't a rebuttal or will change anyone's minds.

Post the facts please.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Aineris posted:

Ah yes, that classic good rear end protectionism for computer guys. Whats that you say? Literally no improvement to the actually extremely harmful H2A program? Oh, its actually gotten markedly worse and shitloads of farmworkers are dying from COVID?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Aineris posted:

You shouldn't be here

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

It is far too late now for Facebook to ban political ads this cycle. If they were going to do that, they needed to do it back last year when Twitter banned them. Thats why they are only banning them for future elections. By now, money has been spent, Facebook ads have been factored in to campaign strategy on both sides, and if they banned them now, abruptly with no warning a few weeks out, there would rightfully be hell to pay for Facebook.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

My problem is when someone pokes their head out people hit it down without actually actually undercutting their argument.

Post the facts please.

Fair enough.

These changes to H-1B Visas is something Trump has been targeting from the very start. This isn't even the only change to it just the latest. The issue is not that it is targeting the exploitative system but that it isn't really. The changes do little to actually improve the system, they just serve to make it much harder for anyone to get an H-1B Visa, especially tech workers who may have years of experience but lack the specific credentials under the extremely narrow definitions. It also is actively punishing H-1B workers who are not being exploited because it is massively shortening their Visas and adding significantly more restrictions which could very easily ruin lives. The language they use for it is pretty much entirely coached in "those foreigners are gonna steal our jobs" language.

Basically every change is made with the end goal of "gently caress over immigrants" and anything else it does remotely positive is a side effect of that, not an intended goal they intend to protect. It's a brute force approach with little care towards long-term stability or actually fixing loopholes because pretty much the entire thing is reverse-engineered by finding ways to limit legal immigration or make it harder. That isn't to say the system isn't something that can be exploited or doesn't need to be fixed but this doesn't fix that and it isn't intended to fix that.

Like so many Trump things this basically amounts to "We want to hurt foreigners however we can."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 7, 2020

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

They are terrified of what might come dowb on them if there's a Biden landslide and Congress decides to properly thump them with the regulation stick.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Aineris posted:

H1Bs are problematic but, not only is this the wrong solution (because it essentially ensures that only certain highly paid professions can get work visas), it's also implemented for terrible reasons (i.e. Trump admin are racist fucks).

The correct solution to H1Bs is to abandon the employer sponsorship requirement, and allow the employee to freely change jobs during the course of their work visa.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Nelson Mandingo posted:

My problem is when someone pokes their head out people hit it down without actually actually undercutting their argument. "You're dumb" isn't a rebuttal or will change anyone's minds.

Post the facts please.

I asked for an example of the phenomenon they were describing, as I've not witnessed it myself. Luckily it turns out I don't really need to undercut their argument since the example they proferred does that pretty conclusively.

EDIT: I'm having a hard time thinking of a funnier more wrongheaded thing they could have chosen tbh.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Rigel posted:

It is far too late now for Facebook to ban political ads this cycle. If they were going to do that, they needed to do it back last year when Twitter banned them. Thats why they are only banning them for future elections. By now, money has been spent, Facebook ads have been factored in to campaign strategy on both sides, and if they banned them now, abruptly with no warning a few weeks out, there would rightfully be hell to pay for Facebook.

There should be hell to pay for Facebook anyway. gently caress em.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Charliegrs posted:

There should be hell to pay for Facebook anyway. gently caress em.

well yes there should be, but if they suddenly pulled political ads now it would pretty much look like they are trying to throw the election to Democrats. Its too late for them to bow out.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Aineris posted:

Well, thank God the Republicans are fighting hard to close off the few routes into this country. Truly, our blood is purest when it is impossible to become an American.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Kenlon posted:

They are terrified of what might come dowb on them if there's a Biden landslide and Congress decides to properly thump them with the regulation stick.
This needs to happen anyway, because it's a bullshit non-solution. Political ads are not the problem, I don't think I've seen an actual paid political ad anywhere on Facebook. What I do see, all the loving time, is people sharing political content from sites like PragerU and TPUSA, not to mention just complete nonsense that they just totally made up themselves that doesn't have to pass any kind of scrutiny from anyone.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Kenlon posted:

To be honest I say screw just facebook. We need to use their bullshit for comprehensive election reforms that include where you can run political ads as well as where that money can come from.

e:typo

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
He's been embalmed.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1313959702104023047
obvious edit at 1:50

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
He looks like dogshit. And there are cuts in there.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1313962848092065792?s=21

I just realized that if he loses the election, once Biden is in charge and a vaccine is released, Trump will go full anti-vaxxer.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

He sounds like he's trying desperately to get as many words out as possible between coughing fits.

e: He doesn't actually explain how delaying the vaccine is the Democrat's fault, just says that it is. :v:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Honestly it's surprising that they could get that decent of a performance from him, even if there are cuts in there.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Was his face always so lopsided?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Ministrokes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My Twitter Account posted:

This needs to happen anyway, because it's a bullshit non-solution. Political ads are not the problem, I don't think I've seen an actual paid political ad anywhere on Facebook. What I do see, all the loving time, is people sharing political content from sites like PragerU and TPUSA, not to mention just complete nonsense that they just totally made up themselves that doesn't have to pass any kind of scrutiny from anyone.
Yes and what, 19 out of 20 of their top 'news' sites are right-wing rags? There have been multiple stories about how this is very intentional and that Zuck has allied with the right-wing and Trump during Trump's presidency to make them happy because he knows that if they are happy they are less likely to go after his site.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Holy cow, the president looks like dog poo poo

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

stev posted:

He sounds like he's trying desperately to get as many words out as possible between coughing fits.

e: He doesn't actually explain how delaying the vaccine is the Democrat's fault, just says that it is. :v:

and he looks considerably meltier than usual

Pasty Doughboy
Dec 23, 2006
With red way hair. One day it will all be gone, I’ll go blind from the glare

That’s a lot of hand accordion action.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is it just me or has he lost a bit of weight

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

For everyone's sanity, just treat Trump getting seriously ill or dead from COVID like we've all learned to think about winning Florida elections: nice if it happens, but expect that it won't, and plan accordingly.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mat Cauthon posted:

If there's one single thing I've learned from the past 4 years is that a lot of what we consider to be rule of law and/or checks and balances on political power are really just gilded tradition. On the few occasions when someone has infringed on it in the past it's been in such a way that didn't really warp the status quo too badly, but Trump has shown that it's really easy to get to that point and unfortunately I don't think it's capable to go back.

A lot of work in the days ahead.

The rules for the US amount to board game rules - they assume you just follow them. Trump is the guy that crashed game night and is insisting that since the board game rules don't explicitly say "don't cheat", he's not doing anything wrong. Even if he was, the friend that invited him says since the rules don't say how you deal with cheating, so I guess it just means we can't stop him. Meanwhile they're trying to invite more buddies over to ensure that they always get to set the house rules by majority.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Tim Whatley posted:

Pence makes a quip about Tupac's empty chair and out of nowhere Hail Mary starts blasting as Tupac kicks the doors open

And Tupac says “Just wake up”

https://comb.io/WnQwJJ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Glumslinger posted:

No! Mr. Trump don't take your anger out on me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Inferior Third Season posted:

For everyone's sanity, just treat Trump getting seriously ill or dead from COVID like we've all learned to think about winning Florida elections: nice if it happens, but expect that it won't, and plan accordingly.

He's obviously sick, and is trying very hard to make it appear that he's totally fine, but there's no reason to suggest that he's on death's door. There's still time for his health to deteriorate, but, some of conspiracy theories in this thread are moronic (especially when the most important thing is that he's still contagious and infecting people on purpose).