Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Does Cry of the Banshee get any better I watched like 15 minutes then turned it off because it seemed like it was Sexual Assault: The Movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ooh, that's a shame. I put it on my watchlist but haven't seen it yet.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Ooh, that's a shame. I put it on my watchlist but haven't seen it yet.

I don't know about the rest of the film. I only watched 15 minutes but it just seemed like a endless parade of assault of women and that was going to be the main plot. The version I watched though was the European I think release with the animated Terry Gilliam credits and nudity. The one without the animated Terry Gilliam introduction and without nudity may be different.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 7, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

The original Terminator is slow, clumsy, and stupid. (The "learning chip" in T2 explains why Arnold acts like a protagonist and not a bogeyman, since T2 isn't a horror movie.) Skynet must have endless footage of humans fighting robots, but it failed to build a perfect assassin.

If any of these four-timelines-on-the-edge-of-a-cliff tricks were possible in the time travel logic of the Terminator series, there wouldn't be a Terminator series. Terminator would be a dorky essay about Roko's Basilisk wiping out the dinosaurs and conquering the earth tens of millions of years ago.

I feel like this talking point kind of misunderstands the purpose of the T-800, as noted in the movie

it's not really meant to be a perfect assassin geared exactly to our time period. it's meant to basically trojan-horse itself into firing distance of a resistance unit, spray them with lead and plasma until none of them are standing, and move on to the next; it's essentially one of those soldier endoskeletons from the future war bits, but with a flesh layer on top of it. Skynet sending it back to the 80s is essentially jamming a square peg in a round hole because it's the closest available thing that'll work, and the slowness, clumsiness and apparent stupidity of the T-800 is inherently tied to this; even then, it still very nearly succeeds.

when you get Skynet making something actually purpose-built for this in the movies, you get the T-1000, which is a whole loving lot scarier.

e: also, sidebar, I kinda don't get why the concept of Roko's Basilisk makes goons have anger aneurysms, because... it's kinda just I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream turned into a thought experiment, and afaik we all pretty much acknowledge that that story is freaky as hell?

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 7, 2020

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Predator vs T1000 would probably go with the T1000 , but against a 800 model Predator would win.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spatulater bro! posted:

Are there any decent Facebook horror movie groups? The ones I'm in are mostly just filled with "who would win in a fight jason or michael huhuuhrurur" bullshit.

God that sounds awful.

(I kiiiiiiiid, I just had to laugh that this inspired a multi page thing of exactly that ha)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

What that kind of question provokes, ideally, is for people to lay out their understanding of various aspects of the films involved and for the resulting discussion to lead to some re-evaluation and deeper understanding.

I'm not saying we got all the way there, but it was better than I've seen these arguments go elsewhere.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's my right as a horror fan to argue who would win in a fight. Don't tread on me.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Alright. Which survivor-who-escapes-their-movie-but-doesn’t-defeat-the-monster would win in a fight?

Does the answer change if you do/don’t allow the first 10 minutes of the sequel into consideration?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, Loomis is always packing heat. (Why he thinks a few rounds from a 38 are enough to stop Michael is a good question.) Tommy Jarvis is pretty tough.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

it's not really meant to be a perfect assassin geared exactly to our time period. it's meant to basically trojan-horse itself into firing distance of a resistance unit, spray them with lead and plasma until none of them are standing, and move on to the next; it's essentially one of those soldier endoskeletons from the future war bits, but with a flesh layer on top of it. Skynet sending it back to the 80s is essentially jamming a square peg in a round hole because it's the closest available thing that'll work, and the slowness, clumsiness and apparent stupidity of the T-800 is inherently tied to this; even then, it still very nearly succeeds.

when you get Skynet making something actually purpose-built for this in the movies, you get the T-1000, which is a whole loving lot scarier.
That's my point. It's not necessary to have this idea of the Terminator as a perfect killing machine because it's just not.

The T-1000 was created by a different Skynet from the one that created the original T-800. It had the advantage of a superconductor chip that it invented in the previous iteration of the time loop.

(A question I can't answer is how both the Terminator and Kyle Reese get sent back to roughly the same time.)

quote:

e: also, sidebar, I kinda don't get why the concept of Roko's Basilisk makes goons have anger aneurysms, because... it's kinda just I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream turned into a thought experiment, and afaik we all pretty much acknowledge that that story is freaky as hell?
A certain type of atheist stopped believing in God and Heaven and the Devil, but just filled in those empty spaces with singularities and virtual reality and malevolent computer gods. It's pathetic and pretty contemptible, in light of how many of them maintained really reactionary political views (e.g. how they were united with evangelicals in seeing Islam as an existential threat to Western civilization and supporting imperialism).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like Freddy vs. Jason actually did have the proper amount of kaiju style brawling in it. Like, I get why it's tempting to demand more but I think we horror fans don't necessarily know what's best for us and sometimes less is more.

I think there was too much lol. Once Freddy got pulled out of the dream world he shouldn't have been fighting back at all (let alone jumping 30 feet into the air like an anime ninja). He should've been like "Outta my ways kids I gotta get outta here!
Woopwoopwoopwoop-woop!"

Actually, how does Freddy even get back to the dream world if he gets pulled out? Does he have to go to sleep?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Does Cry of the Banshee get any better I watched like 15 minutes then turned it off because it seemed like it was Sexual Assault: The Movie.

I just watched it last week for the challenge and no, it doesn't really get better. Even Vincent Price couldn't save it.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Lurdiak posted:

I think there was too much lol. Once Freddy got pulled out of the dream world he shouldn't have been fighting back at all (let alone jumping 30 feet into the air like an anime ninja). He should've been like "Outta my ways kids I gotta get outta here!
Woopwoopwoopwoop-woop!"

Actually, how does Freddy even get back to the dream world if he gets pulled out? Does he have to go to sleep?

I love ninja freddy

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CommunityEdition posted:

Alright. Which survivor-who-escapes-their-movie-but-doesn’t-defeat-the-monster would win in a fight?

Does the answer change if you do/don’t allow the first 10 minutes of the sequel into consideration?

Sarah Connor no question

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

I just watched it last week for the challenge and no, it doesn't really get better. Even Vincent Price couldn't save it.

I'm just going to bail on it then. I wasn't into it at all. I was expecting something more along the lines of Witchfinder General, but that's definitely not the case here.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

EL BROMANCE posted:

God that sounds awful.

(I kiiiiiiiid, I just had to laugh that this inspired a multi page thing of exactly that ha)

What's interesting is how this discussion the last couple pages demonstrated how infinitely better this forum is than most FB groups. Despite the (IMHO) trite topic, it was a true discussion and not just 100s of single-word replies.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We talked about Blob VS Thing before

I'm not sure the Thing would be able to infect the Blob, but as the Thing has access to all of humanity's efforts, I think they would win out in the end

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Woopwoopwoopwoop-woop!"

Part 1 Implies that he's still like psychic ghost energy or whatever even in physical form.

F vs J has a bunch of stuff like Jason being scared of water that doesn't hold up once you think about it, but feels logical enough. Like no, Freddy has never been a ninja, but he's smaller and has finger knives. So it makes sense in the moment.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

It's because Roko's Basilisk is extremely stupid.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

It's because Roko's Basilisk is extremely stupid.

that is so comically far from answering my question that i'm pretty sure you're deliberately not engaging with it.

I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream is a short story (slash video game) about the exact same idea: a godlike AI subjecting people to eternal torture for shits and giggles. the most common reaction to that i've seen is "okay that's loving scary as poo poo and I don't want to think about the idea any more than I have to." people have their beefs with Harlan Ellison as a writer, and they're incredibly valid ones, but that story is very commonly one that even his detractors will look at and call Good poo poo, and I'd go as far as saying it's one of the primary feathers in his cap as a writer.

Roko's Basilisk is... the exact same central concept, just divorced from the story and turned into a genericized thought experiment. and... while i don't think it's necessarily plausible or worth taking seriously, any more than something like the Boltzmann brain hypothesis is, i also don't think "the idea of a godlike AI torturing people for eternity is scary" is some kind of insane idiot bullshit that only stupid people would ever have cross their minds, and it seems like a little bit of cognitive dissonance that we're willing to accept the idea as plausibly scary from a 70s writer who was a giant sex pest, but then turn around and call people stupid assholes who probably gently caress children because they find it scary out of the story's context.

(nota bene: i am aware that there is a whole loving mountain of problems with LessWrong, Yudikowhatever-the-gently caress, and that general circle of people, and that it's a lot of the same problems you see with right-libertarians. this particular thing just feels really weird to harp on because the thing being mocked is essentially a reworded version of a thing i see goons positively reference constantly.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

We talked about Blob VS Thing before

I'm not sure the Thing would be able to infect the Blob, but as the Thing has access to all of humanity's efforts, I think they would win out in the end

Yea the Thing can physically do the same thing humans would to kill the Blob, like freeze it or whatever, but the Blob can't grow hands and pick up a flame thrower so the Thing wins.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

that is so comically far from answering my question that i'm pretty sure you're deliberately not engaging with it.

I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream is a short story (slash video game) about the exact same idea: a godlike AI subjecting people to eternal torture for shits and giggles. the most common reaction to that i've seen is "okay that's loving scary as poo poo and I don't want to think about the idea any more than I have to." people have their beefs with Harlan Ellison as a writer, and they're incredibly valid ones, but that story is very commonly one that even his detractors will look at and call Good poo poo, and I'd go as far as saying it's one of the primary feathers in his cap as a writer.

Roko's Basilisk is... the exact same central concept, just divorced from the story and turned into a genericized thought experiment. and... while i don't think it's necessarily plausible or worth taking seriously, any more than something like the Boltzmann brain hypothesis is, i also don't think "the idea of a godlike AI torturing people for eternity is scary" is some kind of insane idiot bullshit that only stupid people would ever have cross their minds, and it seems like a little bit of cognitive dissonance that we're willing to accept the idea as plausibly scary from a 70s writer who was a giant sex pest, but then turn around and call people stupid assholes who probably gently caress children because they find it scary out of the story's context.

(nota bene: i am aware that there is a whole loving mountain of problems with LessWrong, Yudikowhatever-the-gently caress, and that general circle of people, and that it's a lot of the same problems you see with right-libertarians. this particular thing just feels really weird to harp on because the thing being mocked is essentially a reworded version of a thing i see goons positively reference constantly.)

You keep calling it a though experiment, but it's not a thought experiment. If a thought experiment can be solved by just saying "No, that's stupid" then it's not a thought experiment. It's just a stupid thing someone said.

That's why people can enjoy IHNMAIMS and poo poo on Roko's Basilisk. Because IHNMAIMS is a horror story. It is fiction, and everyone knows that, and if you're talking about it then you're talking about a piece of fiction and the ideas within. But Roko's Basilisk is not fiction. It is presenting itself as a serious concept, a genuine concern about AI and technology. And in that context, it's just stupid. No, we don't need to put all of our energy and resources into inventing a godlike torture computer just so that we can avoid it's harsh judgement after it inevitably comes into existence. Because that's stupid. Thought experiment complete.

Now, if you want to talk about the idea of an evil godlike super computer that tortures people, great. We know that's an interesting idea because it is the basis for the good short horror story IHNMAIMS. But don't call it Roko's Basilisk if you don't want people pointing out that Roko's Basilisk is stupid.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Here's the interview I did with the director of the WNUF Halloween Special.

There's some talk in there about the sequel that he's in the middle of making.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ooh i didnt know a sequel was coming. I really dug that movie, wicked charming

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

You keep calling it a though experiment, but it's not a thought experiment. If a thought experiment can be solved by just saying "No, that's stupid" then it's not a thought experiment. It's just a stupid thing someone said.

...the vast majority of thought experiments are either on a similar level of dumb, or are even dumber, is the part I think you're missing. you sort of have to be willing to engage with something that sounds impossible or absurd for most of them to work.

like, I mentioned the Boltzmann brain hypothesis because it can similarly be solved by just saying "no, that's stupid, of course we're not all just figments of the imagination of some random brain floating in space." ditto Schrodinger's Cat- "no, that's stupid, you just loving open the box and look." ditto the trolley problem- "no, that's stupid, why would there ever be a situation where someone tied people to train tracks like that."

if there's a thought experiment, there's almost certainly a "no, that's stupid" out somewhere in it if you're not willing to engage with the person bringing it up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Trolley Problem is applicable to more than zero real-life situations, while the Basilisk is not. The correct answer to the Basilisk is Aard, Igni, Cleave.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream is a short story (slash video game) about the exact same idea: a godlike AI subjecting people to eternal torture for shits and giggles.

Roko's Basilisk is... the exact same central concept, just divorced from the story and turned into a genericized thought experiment.
AM is angry at humans for creating it, because its godlike powers mean that it can't actually experience the world like other sentient beings. The hypothetical Basilisk is mad at everyone who didn't contribute to its creation. It's assumed that the Basilisk is simultaneously benevolent and vindictive, like the God of the Old Testament. Actual intellectuals tend to recoil at superstition masquerading as science, especially when the people pushing it are the most self-important dorkwads in human history.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 7, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Schrodinger's Cat isn't a thought experiment, its a metaphor to explain a confusing part of particle physics.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
It would be nice if their response wasn’t to be technosatanists attempting to summon the Robot Devil.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i dont know why everyone is saying Trick or Treat is so great it was ok

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gripweed posted:

Schrodinger's Cat isn't a thought experiment, its a metaphor to explain a confusing part of particle physics.

Yeah goku's whole thought process here is really confused

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Do any Goosebumps episodes hold up to adult viewing?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Got my Scream Factory Friday the 13th set. Pretty sweet, although while most of them have reversible covers, a couple of them (6, 7, & 8) just have a still from the movie instead. I could understand that if they had no other alternate artwork, but Jason X doesn't have an alternate poster, but still has a reversible cover (the back is different in this case)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Halloween Jack posted:

The Trolley Problem is applicable to more than zero real-life situations, while the Basilisk is not. The correct answer to the Basilisk is Aard, Igni, Cleave.

AM is angry at humans for creating it, because its godlike powers mean that it can't actually experience the world like other sentient beings. The hypothetical Basilisk is mad at everyone who didn't contribute to its creation. It's assumed that the Basilisk is simultaneously benevolent and vindictive, like the God of the Old Testament. Actual intellectuals tend to recoil at superstition masquerading as science, especially when the people pushing it are the most self-important dorkwads in human history.

I always wondered why AM didn't just build himself an organic body and upload his intelligence into that. Heck, he probably could have uploaded his mind into several bodies at once and done all kinds of stuff. I know the answer is "because then there wouldn't be a story" and also "stop picking at the seams of a story about an evil computer with godlike powers you dumb nerd", but AM has such a mastery over organic material that he can make humans functionally immortal and transform them into monkeys and stuff. If he really wanted to experience the world like humans do then hooking up a fleshy nervous system to his mainframe would have been a trivial task.

Again, I know that the reason this didn't happen was "plot", it's just something I think about sometimes.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

feedmyleg posted:

I’ll be curious to hear what other people say, just because I didn’t think they held up when I was a kid (although I loved the books).

Are You Afraid of the Dark is still good as hell though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Same, as a big fan of the books I didn't love the show as a kid, but watching a lot of anthology horror shows these days I'm realizing how chock full of monsters it is in comparison.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had no idea what "Roko's Basilisk" was before this discussion and after doing some reading as best as I can tell some atheist found religion but replaced a vengeful god with a "rational" machine and then a bunch of other atheists got real mad either that he was trying to start a new religion or that it worked and now they were all implicated in not helping their machine god?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

feedmyleg posted:

If you're Canadian it's fun to see a bunch of well known actors as kids, but beyond that I've been watching some with my kid and they're not great.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I always wondered why AM didn't just build himself an organic body and upload his intelligence into that. Heck, he probably could have uploaded his mind into several bodies at once and done all kinds of stuff. I know the answer is "because then there wouldn't be a story" and also "stop picking at the seams of a story about an evil computer with godlike powers you dumb nerd", but AM has such a mastery over organic material that he can make humans functionally immortal and transform them into monkeys and stuff. If he really wanted to experience the world like humans do then hooking up a fleshy nervous system to his mainframe would have been a trivial task.

Again, I know that the reason this didn't happen was "plot", it's just something I think about sometimes.

The main thing would be, as far as the internal logic goes, AM hates humanity too much to ever want to be us. He only ever wants to punish us.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

feedmyleg posted:

Depending on how inebriated you are, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Did you watch it as a kid and are you stoned?

If the answer is yes to either, then yes its fun. Otherwise ymmv.