Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
I've had one single "disc rot" issue with a Blu-ray, and that was a copy of American Psycho from like, the first week that Blu-ray first debuted. It won't play on anything at all anymore. Aside from that, never had an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

That's why I only watch movies on vinyl.

Techmoan has an episode on this actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCWLaAwr3sM

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
https://youtu.be/PnpX8d8zRIA

Feast your eyes upon this glorious epic which goes even deeper into the madness that was RCA in the 70s!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Boinks posted:

Techmoan has an episode on this actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCWLaAwr3sM

Tech Moan rules. I always wonder if he just has a bunch of weird and out dated audio/video poo poo all over his house or if he sells it after he makes the video.

Cemetry Gator posted:

https://youtu.be/PnpX8d8zRIA

Feast your eyes upon this glorious epic which goes even deeper into the madness that was RCA in the 70s!

I love this kind of stuff and I'll probably fall into a hole of watching these for three hours.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mat has mentioned many times on Patreon that a lot of stuff goes to charities.

feedmyleg posted:

For sure. The higher the resolution, the easier it becomes to digitally reverse that awful bleach bypass.

All of Spielberg’s UHDs have been stellar so far.

For those who ordered the F13 box on Amazon, I just received an email confirming delivery for Oct 15.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

All of Spielberg’s UHDs have been stellar so far.

Yeah, I just think the film is fuckugly to begin with so I'm not sure any presentation could improve it. It was before widespread digital grading so it was a bleach bypass to the film itself. I wonder if the original elements still exist...

But whenever I rewatch it I just turn the color settings on my TV to 0. Which I know is ridiculous but it honestly improves my enjoyment of thr film a vast amount.

e: hm! Apparently they hosed with the grading for the Blu release which gives me a twinge of hope...

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 30, 2020

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

So, the digital copies of the Back To The Future 4K+Dolby Vision remasters are up on iTunes, and I can definitely say that 1 and 3 look massively better with the wider color gamut, higher dynamic range, and increased resolution - the texture of the film stocks used on the original have a nice grain texture to them, skin tones are just wildly better - I had previously bought BTTF and the upgrade hadn't kicked in yet until I checked and found an update on my Apple TV, after which I assume reconnecting to my account recognized the change - and I watched both Marty and Jennifer go from standard-looking white people to having very real Southern California tans. The older Lorraine makeup work on Lea Thompson is outstanding and you can really take it in - when they dolly in to a close-up on her face at the kitchen table, you can count the crow's feet. The flux capacitor coming to life has an almost otherworldly brightness to it, there's lots of shaping to the lights, shadows are deep, it really looks immensely close to what it must have looked like on July 3rd, 1985.

3 is gorgeous and the increased resolution and wider color gamut really sells some of the homage shots to classic westerns (that loving perfect cloudless blue sky, goddamn), like Clara waiting to board the train or Doc and Marty hitching the Delorean to horses and trying to race them up to 88 MPH with Monument Valley rock formations in the background. And boy does the optical work and compositing show how much they pushed it as far as it could go, Doc and Clara on the hoverboard looks like they're cutouts against the actual photography. And Doc has a harsh, harsh, almost leather-brown color to his face. There's highlights on the manure that Mad Dog gets covered in that sparkles with the wetness of it. That movie looks great now in a way that might really give it another renaissance in appreciation. Like, it's clearly shot using the same or similar stock to what 2 was shot on, but there's so much grit and dust and dirt and whatnot inherent in the setting itself that it keeps a real texture to everything.

But now I feel like the weak link photographically in the trilogy is 2, although the composite work with multiple Michael J. Foxs (Foxes?) on screen all over the place in the McFly household is fantastic given how some of the other FX work shows its age. It's just very... workmanlike compared to 1 and 3, with a nicely clear image, but in that way that lacks... real texture to it? Everything's kind of flat until you get to Biff's 1985 and the neon can work up some real dynamism in the lighting and some sharp neon colors show up, and then the return to 1955 is lacking in just about all aspects compared to 1. But it really sells that this was the thing Zemeckis had to make to get to do a Western with the next one. I will say that Thomas Wilson as old man Biff when he's talking to his younger self sounds incredibly close to modern Bruce Willis when he doesn't throw the angry grit in his voice (and the makeup work on him is pretty good as well, although sometimes it veers into ghoulishness; somewhat appropriate, I suppose). Costumes all look great across all three movies, the increased resolution really makes the finer weavework shine on the future jacket in 2 or the poncho in 3 or the slightly stiff, polyester texture of the 50s clothing across all three (especially the cockamamie getup 50s Doc puts Marty in before shooting him off to 1885).

I dunno why I mentioned this in the physical media thread, there's just not really a lot of other places on the forum to talk about the upgrades and I figure there's at least a few people who probably pre-ordered the 4K discs, which will surely only look better with the massive rise in bitrate that'll come on the discs. But if anyone had any worry that Universal hosed these up or anything, it doesn't seem like they did - the only movie that suffers is 2, and I think that might have just been because it feels like a "the studio wanted this, and they wouldn't let me do Old West Doc and Marty unless I did it" sort of deal. They treated this as well as they treated their Hitchcock releases - some top work, in my eyes (Psycho might be the finest-looking black and white movie I've seen come out on UHD so far).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That is very, very helpful to me. Thanks! Will definitely be upgrading now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah definitely appreciated given the propensity to royally gently caress up somehow whenever a new BttF disc gets released.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The disc is gonna be pan-and-scan somehow

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TheScott2K posted:

The disc is gonna be pan-and-scan somehow

and HD-DVD

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Doc Brown buys only laserdisc in 1985 because he assumes it will be the dominant format. when he arrives in the future and discovers it is not, every attempt of his to recover once from the past disrupts the timeline beyond recognition.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

FunkyAl posted:

Doc Brown buys only laserdisc in 1985 because he assumes it will be the dominant format. when he arrives in the future and discovers it is not, every attempt of his to recover once from the past disrupts the timeline beyond recognition.

On my wall

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

On my wall

Great Scott!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

TheScott2K posted:

On my wall

Try playing it at 88 rpm ;)

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I finally picked up an UHD player and watched a physical media 4k movie for the first time last night. I was blown away by the picture and sound and now I'm dying to see some favorites that I've neglected to revisit in recent years. Does anyone have titles that especially stand out for enhancing the movie viewing experience? I've been meaning to show my dad 1917 anyway so I will be picking that up but otherwise I'm thinking 2001 and Bram Stokers Dracula.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Totally recommend Wizard of Oz and the Columbia Classics box set. Haven’t seen the latter, but I’ve heard Lawrence of Arabia especially is phenomenal.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tonedef131 posted:

I finally picked up an UHD player and watched a physical media 4k movie for the first time last night. I was blown away by the picture and sound and now I'm dying to see some favorites that I've neglected to revisit in recent years. Does anyone have titles that especially stand out for enhancing the movie viewing experience? I've been meaning to show my dad 1917 anyway so I will be picking that up but otherwise I'm thinking 2001 and Bram Stokers Dracula.

2001 looks fantastic, if you want more Kubrick, definitely snag The Shining, that was the one that really put me over the top.

There's also always Tammy and the T-Rex

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

tonedef131 posted:

Bram Stoker's Dracula is excellent, all of Coppola's in-camera tricks and of course all of the ridiculous costumes really shine on UHD.

There's also a really strong lineup of historical epics on UHD. Lawrence of Arabia, Gandhi, Spartacus, Gladiator, and Braveheart are all major upgrades from the previous blu rays.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1313875921699368960?s=19

I guess this will be a good way to christen the 4K player in the PS5.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Starship Troopers is a good one.

Sure, the CGI is a bit dated, but drat, it looks a film being projected in your house.

Would you like to know more?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

tonedef131 posted:

It might be easier to point out titles that aren’t that good on UHD disc because those are rarer.

Terminator 2 is an obvious one; it’s a mixed bag of some excellent shots and some with horrid noise reduction. I only had a DVD so it was still an upgrade but that’s by far the worst one I have.

I didn’t think Ghostbusters was that tremendous. Nothing bad about it, but I was expecting crazier colors (it’s probably accurate to the theatrical release).

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Blue Underground has been putting out some great UHDs. Depends on how you feel about the movies they've released. Maniac and Zombie both look amazing. I thought New York Ripper looked really good too. Haven't had a chance to check out House by the Cemetery yet. Also, Synapse did an A+ job with Argento's Suspiria.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've only seen it via streaming (and it was a 2K DI anyway) but the HDR on Mad Max: Fury Road is just the tops.

Both Blade Runners are essential if you dig 'em.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Sure, the CGI is a bit dated
There's also just a fantastic amount of practical and miniature work in that movie, a lot more than remembered.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Most stuff that’s majority film usually shines on 4K. The Shining is amazing. Pitch Black looks really great. Newer stuff can look really good if they give you a native 4k finish, or the colors pop. Annihilation is the latter. HDR makes it prettier.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Yeah the only one I’ve watched so far was Color Out of Space, which is a particularly dark and colorful movie and it worked very well.

Susperia and Starship Troopers are on the short list. Not sure about Tammy and the T-Rex though, I’ve only seen it in SD and it looked bad enough I can’t help but feel like more definition will only damage it further.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

tonedef131 posted:

Yeah the only one I’ve watched so far was Color Out of Space, which is a particularly dark and colorful movie and it worked very well.

Susperia and Starship Troopers are on the short list. Not sure about Tammy and the T-Rex though, I’ve only seen it in SD and it looked bad enough I can’t help but feel like more definition will only damage it further.

I saw Tammy in a theater and while it's never going to look like a Kubrick film I don't feel like the film being shown in 4K makes it look shittier. Also when you say you saw it in SD do you mean the old VHS transfer because that's a worst case scenario. That said, it's not what I'd use as a reference for the format. I'd still highly recommend owning a copy of the movie though.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1313875921699368960?s=19

I guess this will be a good way to christen the 4K player in the PS5.

This will be interesting. The film will look great but the effects are already kinda oof in 1080P. I’d be interested in knowing if there was any tweaking or remastering, but well... WETA had their hands full.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

No it was the gore cut on shudder. I guess it could have been 720p maybe but shudder generally doesn’t do much in HD. I’ll keep an eye on it when Vinegar Syndrome does their Black Friday sale, it’s probably worth it for the cover art alone.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Boywhiz88 posted:

This will be interesting. The film will look great but the effects are already kinda oof in 1080P. I’d be interested in knowing if there was any tweaking or remastering, but well... WETA had their hands full.

People upthread are considering Starship Troopers in 4K, and those effects were oof twenty years ago. It will be fine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tonedef131 posted:

No it was the gore cut on shudder. I guess it could have been 720p maybe but shudder generally doesn’t do much in HD. I’ll keep an eye on it when Vinegar Syndrome does their Black Friday sale, it’s probably worth it for the cover art alone.

Honestly, if you switch between the 4k and the regular Blu Ray, you can see the difference HDR makes just by looking at the menu screen on Tammy.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Starship Troopers looks fantastic in 4K, dated CG or not.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm mostly interested in the LOTR 4k because I imagine the HDR is going to be a whole world of difference.

The blu-ray is very dark in places.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

dorium posted:

Starship Troopers looks fantastic in 4K, dated CG or not.

I enjoyed it a lot just recently, it's one of my favorite movies, I owned it on VHS and DVD, and now on 4K, but I would be struggling to explain the benefits of 4K using only this movie as a reference.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Starship Troopers has loads of awesome model shots and practical effects. The bug hordes don't look good in 4k but a TON of other stuff looks great in it

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Starship Troopers has loads of awesome model shots and practical effects. The bug hordes don't look good in 4k but a TON of other stuff looks great in it

Agreeing wholeheartedly. I didn't expect to still love it twenty plus years later, but here we are.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Starship Troopers is a Verhoeven film, so of course it's extremely vivid and stylized, which is the sort of thing that shines on UHD. The football game at the beginning of the movie, as an example, is massively improved on the UHD. Basically anything that isn't a CG bug looks amazing and even the bugs look fine, it's not like they look worse or anything.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I think the stylization and limited use helps Starship Troopers in the long run.

I think of the Matrix sequels when it comes to extensive CGI that fails over the long run. And LotR has some stuff, especially horse-based or Legolas-based, that reminds me of Burly Brawl. I think it will be mostly fine, but I just wonder what it will look like.

I’d be really interested in seeing Carpenter’s The Thing in 4K. The effects have to look absolutely gnarly. I felt slightly queasy when I saw it for the first time last year. In a theater w either 35mm or digital. Can’t recall off-hand.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I love Starship Troopers, but I couldn't tell you a thing about how the 4k looked other than you could see the dudes taint when he mooned the camera when Rico was recording a clip for his girl. 10/10

When I get home gonna marathon the first four Friday the 13th movies, looks like the box set shipped a week early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
This is a heads-up to the Bad Lads of Region B, but one of the greatest films ever made is getting a limited edition release from 88 Films.