Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The firewood pile is very far away from the actual fire pit so I made a small firewood rack to hold a fire’s worth of wood and kindling. Picked up some pressure treated lumber and I had half a can of stain sitting around to throw on it. Pretty happy that I only ended up 20” of offcuts from four 2x4s off of a napkin sketch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

devmd01 posted:

The firewood pile is very far away from the actual fire pit so I made a small firewood rack to hold a fire’s worth of wood and kindling. Picked up some pressure treated lumber and I had half a can of stain sitting around to throw on it. Pretty happy that I only ended up 20” of offcuts from four 2x4s off of a napkin sketch.

Speaking of 2x4 construction

The missus has asked me to sort of a hutch for some quails

Non structural timber is pretty cheap and we have a whole bunch of chicken wire about so I guess I'm doing this of a weekend

Sorting out the plan for the joint was fun

One angle is easier that 2 or 3 and trig is fun so watch this space

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Nice that you left a garage under the loft for them to park their flying saucers

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not wanting to start a fight about firewood placement, but after getting ash everywhere in my house and gulping big rips of wildfire smoke for a month straight, I feel compelled to say that stacking firewood against your house is a top-3 no-no for wildfire prevention

You can safely ignore this warning if you don't live in a wildfire area

Carry on, thanks

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Hadlock posted:

Not wanting to start a fight about firewood placement, but after getting ash everywhere in my house and gulping big rips of wildfire smoke for a month straight, I feel compelled to say that stacking firewood against your house is a top-3 no-no for wildfire prevention

You can safely ignore this warning if you don't live in a wildfire area

Carry on, thanks

It's also no good from an insect perspective. It invites wood eating insects from outside to take up residence right along your exterior wall. I'm all for having a stack of wood somewhere nearby, but just not right up against the house.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wallet posted:

I still had a wall to fill and a few ferns left over (stabilized ferns are expensive—like $1-3 a stem for the nice/big ones) but I didn't want to do anything as elaborate as the whole moss and hexagons affair.

I had seen these things when I was researching moss art—they're sort of cute, but a little bland and the moss balls at the bottom look weird.

At first I was looking at wall pockets/vases and stuff like that. There are some cool options but nothing that quite felt right. Something natural would be ideal, given the whole motif, so I started looking at burls and driftwood. There's a decent number of people that sell exact pieces for aquariums/terrariums/taxidermy/etc. I was trying to find three distinct pieces of wood that had holes in them suitable for what I wanted to do and that were around the same size; I probably looked at more than a thousand listings for chunks of wood but I finally found three that seemed like they would work. I ordered some of the larger stabilized ferns I had seen while getting stuff for the hexagons but had passed over because they were the wrong scale for that project.

Once everything arrived I drilled (mostly by hand with a pin-vice to avoid loving up the wood or snapping the bits) deeper holes inside of the existing holes in the pieces of wood that I could stick stems in. One piece I had to stabilize by painting a very thin layer of wood glue on. I used PVA (Aleene's) instead of hot glue to stick the stems because it would have been loving impossible to get hot glue in those little holes without leaving blobs of it all over everything.

I made little plaques out of some poplar 1x8s that I biscuited together and stained, then I used a router to cut keyholes in the back of them for hanging and attached the pieces of driftwood with some screws.

Anyway, they were a lot less work and I think they turned out pretty good:

So pretty. Though they kinda look like the trophies collected by a vegan big game hunter.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Facebook Aunt posted:

vegan big game hunter.

Pro username right there

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I finished my basement off and needed to cover over a crawlspace hatch.
That wall has all of my ski maps from trips I've taken over the years, so in keeping with my theme of "making wood projects that everyone else has done and posted to r/woodworking, I made one of those plank mountain pictures. I had my daughter do the layout, so there's about 2 extra mountains than I would have done in there.

The mountains are red oak, purpleheart, and walnut stained cherry (the cherry didn't differentiate itself from the oak enough and I had run out of walnut).
The snow caps are birch.
The sky is curly maple dyed blue.

I still have to put the french cleat on the back and put the frame around it, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The one dark part of the sky dried out to match the rest.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

So pretty. Though they kinda look like the trophies collected by a vegan big game hunter.

I thought about going without the plaques but it was going to be a nightmare to hang them because only one of them actually had a flat side.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I finished my basement off and needed to cover over a crawlspace hatch.
That wall has all of my ski maps from trips I've taken over the years, so in keeping with my theme of "making wood projects that everyone else has done and posted to r/woodworking, I made one of those plank mountain pictures. I had my daughter do the layout, so there's about 2 extra mountains than I would have done in there.

This turned out great! The walnut (I assume—whatever the dark brown wood is) has some really lovely depth that makes me feel like the rest of the mountains could use a dark wash or something to pick up the crevices.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hadlock posted:

stacking firewood against your house is a top-3 no-no for wildfire prevention

Could even be literally illegal! (It is here.)

e: Also there are some laws and/or statutes concerning just generally keeping piles of unpeeled* wood stacked outside at certain times, due to pest concerns.

*) I'm sure that's not the proper English word for it but what can I do I'm ignorant :shrug:

ee: I'm not saying anyone is going to give a poo poo about the OP's three sticks.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 29, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
English actually does use “unpeeled wood” for wood with the bark still on it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I suppose you could call it unshucked wood

Birch bark is most certainly peeled off, as is eucalyptus, cedar, ash, sycamore

The pine trees I grew up, it more flakes off, but in general removing the external part of plants is called peeling, so even if it's not 101% correct, it's valid english

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
Uncircumcised wood

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Undebarked.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Which would mean it’s inbarkable.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Degloved wood

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

canyoneer posted:

Nice that you left a garage under the loft for them to park their flying saucers

Latest model just came it, they are Gunna rip serious tail feather in these

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hello Post your projects: Grim determination and sanding thread, I'm new to the DIY subforum so I'm checking if I'm in the right place - I would like to build myself a standing workdesk at home now that I'm going to be WFH for the foreseeable future and because I play a lot of videogames and need to stand more. Is this the right thread to ask for advice/pointers? I have a basic idea of what I want to do but I have newborn-induced mushbrain so I figure having what I do get sanity checked would be smart before I waste a bunch of my limited time and effort. Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This is usually an after-action report thread, where people come in and say "hey I did this thing, here's some photos". I'd recommend asking the woodworking thread or maybe the fix it fast thread depending on what exactly your plan is.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is usually an after-action report thread, where people come in and say "hey I did this thing, here's some photos". I'd recommend asking the woodworking thread or maybe the fix it fast thread depending on what exactly your plan is.
Awesome, thank you! I will be making it out of wood so the woodworking thread does sound appropriate :v:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Hutch coming along

It's a touch to rickety so far but I'm going to put some braces in and put some stronger screws later

Good enough start

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Last year I posted about getting my kitchen tiled, this weekend I did my laundry room.
The old tile was the same as this stuff:

and had the vinyl underneath as well.

I ended up going with the 1/3 running bond pattern because :lol: gently caress trying to lay out and set a herringbone in a space this small.

Hardibacker and layout lines (glued and screwed the backer down). Contrary to popular belief, you can accurately predict where the tile are going to go.

Cutting stations. The Ruby cutter is loving amazing.

The little rigid tub saw sucks rear end.

Tile down. I set a bunch of the dark ones so they would be covered by the slop sink and washing machines. There's no natural light coming into this space so I wanted the lighter tiles in the field.

Grouted. I hate the fact that I totally missed the two identical tiles dead smack in the middle until I was grouting them. I'm just going to leave them there and pretend I did it on purpose, it's not worth the hassle of ripping one of them out for something that most people aren't going to pay attention to.

Now I just need to put the room back together.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 5, 2020

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I received a number of complaints that I was bogarting all of the ferns by putting them over my desk :rolleyes:. I was planning to ignore them until someone offered me a deal on a piece of wood I had watchlisted on Ebay and promptly forgot about, so I got sucked into making another fern thing for the living room.

The plaque is the same sort of thing (poplar biscuited together) though I used a lighter stain and it's much bigger (18" by 44"). Mounting the wood was a little more complicated this time because there's no good attachment points at the top, the middle of the wood lifts about 5 inches away from the back because of the shape, and it's quite a bit heavier (~10 pounds). After thinking about it a bit I ended up putting some screws into the bottom of the wood and then attaching it at the middle using a hanger bolt screwed into the driftwood with a nut on the end inset into the back of the plaque.

Then it was just a lot of drilling the existing holes in the wood deep enough to hold stems, glueing everything, etc etc. There's a few non-fern plants snuck in there (some princess pine and some amaranthus). I applied more coats of the UV floral sealant this time because there's quite a bit more natural light in this room.

Here's the whole thing assembled on the wall.

And closer up.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Grouted. I hate the fact that I totally missed the two identical tiles dead smack in the middle until I was grouting them. I'm just going to leave them there and pretend I did it on purpose, it's not worth the hassle of ripping one of them out for something that most people aren't going to pay attention to.

I didn't even notice until you mentioned it, if it makes you feel better. Looks good to me!

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Shed project is basically complete. I still have to put in the gable vents (really should have done that while building the walls... oops) and the ramps for the entrances, but it's good enough to show.

Eventually I will also install a window or two, the front looks hilariously bare.

Here's the whole thing with the coop for size context. (The shed is 16x12).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In our new house my wife's closet came with a particle board closet organizer, and on one of the exposed edges there is/was a rubber/vinyl trim piece that was stuck on with some adhesive about 15 years ago, which recently failed

What's a good glue to use for this?

I can't really clamp it, so that rules out most polyurethane glues like gorilla glue
Wood glue doesn't seem like it'll stick to vinyl
Super glue... I dunno, doesn't seem practical for high surface area applications

Doesn't need to be a strong bond, just sticky enough to hold it's own weight. Would something like spray contact adhesive work?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Hadlock posted:

In our new house my wife's closet came with a particle board closet organizer, and on one of the exposed edges there is/was a rubber/vinyl trim piece that was stuck on with some adhesive about 15 years ago, which recently failed

What's a good glue to use for this?

I can't really clamp it, so that rules out most polyurethane glues like gorilla glue
Wood glue doesn't seem like it'll stick to vinyl
Super glue... I dunno, doesn't seem practical for high surface area applications

Doesn't need to be a strong bond, just sticky enough to hold it's own weight. Would something like spray contact adhesive work?

Super glue sounds like the lowest effort "never have to mess with it again" solution.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is super glue supposed to stick to particle board? Because my experience with it is: it loving doesn't :(

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
If both sides of the cabinet are accessible, then you could use painter's tape as a clamp for whatever adhesive you choose, e.g.:

Superglue might work but I imagine the particle board edge is so porous it would just suck it up and leave nothing on the surface. A 5-minute epoxy ought to be more up to the task.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Plenty of people add super glue to PU to give some more instant tack.

Don't forget to sand it and post a picture afterwards.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Trabant posted:

If both sides of the cabinet are accessible, then you could use painter's tape as a clamp for whatever adhesive you choose, e.g.:

Superglue might work but I imagine the particle board edge is so porous it would just suck it up and leave nothing on the surface. A 5-minute epoxy ought to be more up to the task.

Oh, yeah this makes sense, 5 minute epoxy + masking tape sounds perfect thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for

Super glue, I don't know how you could use it wrong, but I've never had that stuff successfully work for me; it just turns into a crusty mess and flakes apart after a couple of weeks if not hours. In all the RC airplane videos it's just this magic glue that always works

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Oh, yeah this makes sense, 5 minute epoxy + masking tape sounds perfect thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for

Super glue, I don't know how you could use it wrong, but I've never had that stuff successfully work for me; it just turns into a crusty mess and flakes apart after a couple of weeks if not hours. In all the RC airplane videos it's just this magic glue that always works

I use the super glue (don't remember which) that I know from a previous job they use for industrial installations to attach something and I don't know what but apparently it sticks to that thing amazingly well and lasts decades, but I do know the thing is not a thing I've personally ever tried to use it for at home.

fake edit: I think it's Loctite 454 or something like that.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm finally getting back into the swing of making things and just finished a sweet computer monitor stand for myself. Crappy cellphone photos ahoy:

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Particle board will really soak it up leaving not much for the actual bond.

I've used contact cement with great success for trim bits in the kitchen cupboards next to the oven door, where the previous adhesive had failed because of the extreme heat. Epoxy would probably do similarly well. If it's a thin consistency use more than you think because the particle board will probably soak some of it up too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm finally getting back into the swing of making things and just finished a sweet computer monitor stand for myself. Crappy cellphone photos ahoy:

That's a cool look. Did you paint the pattern by hand?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's a cool look. Did you paint the pattern by hand?

No cheated and covered the board with the cutoffs from shortening my curtains. So it's polyester fabric mod podged on.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Ultra Carp

Hadlock posted:

most superglue is cyanoacrylate, which hardens when it meets the moisture in the air. It only works for certain surfaces, but it does work adequately well when used correctly. You can join two metal surfaces if you have enough surface contact between them. You can join plastic to metal, or plastic to plastic
But if it's the same plastic you are better off using something that will melt the two surfaces to each other. Porous surfaces, it depends really. The glue will get wicked into the material, so there's not as much glue in the bond. Super glue is brittle, so it won't hold up to physical abrasion or movement or vibration.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Vim Fuego posted:

most superglue is cyanoacrylate, which hardens when it meets the moisture in the air. It only works for certain surfaces, but it does work adequately well when used correctly. You can join two metal surfaces if you have enough surface contact between them. You can join plastic to metal, or plastic to plastic
But if it's the same plastic you are better off using something that will melt the two surfaces to each other. Porous surfaces, it depends really. The glue will get wicked into the material, so there's not as much glue in the bond. Super glue is brittle, so it won't hold up to physical abrasion or movement or vibration.

Not exactly.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/cyanoacrylate-adhesive
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/anionic-polymerisation

It is not brittle when used correctly (ie: use an accelerator) and is extremely strong. It is commonly used in woodworking to fill voids, use as a top coat, and hold pieces together during wood turning. Keep in mind this is actual CA glue not crazy glue or whatever you find at the dollar store.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I hung my crawlspace cover.

I didn't realize my ceiling was that out. :(

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Never worked with wood before and I made a thing, now there are all sorts of stuff I want to make... RIP my wallet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

So I managed to get rid of all that rickety-ness with some braces, the joinery is clearly lack luster but all the holes seem to be in the right places to sure up what is important

I've been doing this mostly with an old brace and bit and tenon saw because money , but I'm happy with it so far

Edit:

Jestery fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 14, 2020