Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Even if you want to buy pay-up-front apps/games it's frequetly a bad idea, there's no guarantee they won't put ads later, that the app will still work in a couple years, or that it'll continue to be updated at all if it doesn't make enough money

I think the Darkest Dungeon port came out like 2 years ago and it was randomly broken by iOS 14 and hasn't been fixed despite a 'premium' price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I wonder how many ios updates it will take before a Apple gamepass game gets irrevocably broken. do the developers have to agree to perpetual updates to get into apple gamepass?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sassafras posted:

My wife's still addicted to words with friends... I think nearly ten years ago I was telling her to suck up the $1-3 for no ads and she always refused.

They honor the old "no ads" lifetime purchases, but nowadays it's $13/month - the YouTube "harass people with obnoxious enough ads and many will pay to remove them" model works!

this should ONLY be legal if after the 7 days it turns off ads and you get to choose the $13 a month option, because it’s so widely known so much of the money those companies make are from people forgetting to unsubscribe, and apple knows this and allows it and is complicit in this deeply amoral arm of capitalism

i wonder if there’s money to be made with a service that costs $1/mo and it automatically subscribes from everything the moment before it costs you

some of those apps charge over $100 for a12 mo sub.

i don’t care if it’s technically a persons fault for accepting those terms and forgetting, the practice should be illegal

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think some games have already left apple arcade, I’d guess they sign contracts for set lengths of time or with an option to stay on or leave

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
with all the draconian app store rules i am disappointed that they still allow free apps that actually require subscriptions
look at this: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/math-learner-learning-game/id1148728253
would you be able to tell a subscription is required?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

with all the draconian app store rules i am disappointed that they still allow free apps that actually require subscriptions
look at this: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/math-learner-learning-game/id1148728253

if that means getting rid of Netflix, sure

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

yeah I’m not quite sure, are you certain you linked to an app that has a subscription?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you’re not wrong you’re just an rear end in a top hat - the app

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

the david carradine sex color
:drat:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

this should ONLY be legal if after the 7 days it turns off ads and you get to choose the $13 a month option, because it’s so widely known so much of the money those companies make are from people forgetting to unsubscribe, and apple knows this and allows it and is complicit in this deeply amoral arm of capitalism

i wonder if there’s money to be made with a service that costs $1/mo and it automatically subscribes from everything the moment before it costs you

some of those apps charge over $100 for a12 mo sub.

i don’t care if it’s technically a persons fault for accepting those terms and forgetting, the practice should be illegal

:ssh: apple's new services business model is dependent on this behavior too

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Amethyst posted:

absolutely not. ALso they still exist on window 10, where they remain to suck

It's almost like phones and desktops have different usage patterns and thus different UI paradigms are more appropriate.

As cringey and stupid as those ads were about being able to quickly check your phone while you were at a soccer game or whatever, they were right. Live tiles and the rest of win phone UI (including notifications) were designed for information consumption, both in easily telling you if you had new things to consume and getting you that info quickly.

That's why "number of emails that have arrived since you last looked at your email program" is far superior to "number of unread emails" for a badge. It directly tells you the relevant thing, rather than forcing you to remember what the number was before so you can mentally check if it changed.

Who needs to open the weather app when it's right there?

Who needs to open calendar when your next meeting is right there on your home screen (or the lock screen so you don't even have to open your phone)?

They were both more information dense and even better organized than whatever the hodge podges are that ios and android have now.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
live piles

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i agree with havelock re: live tiles

otoh, if your number of unread messages is sufficiently large that you can't tell at a glance if it's changed, it probably doesn't matter if it changed

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

every mac with the t2 """""""security""""""" chip is now unfixibly hackable

https://www.wired.com/story/apple-t2-chip-unfixable-flaw-jailbreak-mac/

apple is the worst at security and it isn't even close lol

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
it need physical access, its pretty low on the scale of hack-ability

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think the Darkest Dungeon port came out like 2 years ago and it was randomly broken by iOS 14 and hasn't been fixed despite a 'premium' price

Apple's lovely backwards compatibility isn't anything new, and devs aren't obligated to maintain things forever for free.

I know nobody was gaming on Mac OS, but now most of the old stuff that ran happily on integrated graphics can't run at all because there were never 64-bit binaries built.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, t2 thing is not a huge deal, in that i think just about all secure enclaves have turned out to not be very.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Apple's lovely backwards compatibility isn't anything new, and devs aren't obligated to maintain things forever for free.

They're not but the end result is that I basically stopped buying apps except maybe once a year, and I don't have any ad-supported apps either

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TOOT BOOT posted:

They're not but the end result is that I basically stopped buying apps except maybe once a year, and I don't have any ad-supported apps either

web technologies for all

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

havelock posted:

That's why "number of emails that have arrived since you last looked at your email program" is far superior to "number of unread emails" for a badge. It directly tells you the relevant thing, rather than forcing you to remember what the number was before so you can mentally check if it changed.

do you think maybe its important to actually read emails sometimes. like, not having read them may cause consequences like 'losing your job', so its worth knowing how many emails you haven't looked at yet

OTOH, a live tile or badge which showed both would be great - unread, new since you last unlocked your phone/looked at this tile (using magical eye tracking or w/e)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

unless your org is giant and sends a bunch of irrelevant poo poo + transactional emails that never need to be read

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Any email that doesn’t have your name on the To: line should go directly into the trash.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, t2 thing is not a huge deal, in that i think just about all secure enclaves have turned out to not be very.

really this just means you can run arbitrary unsigned code without downgrading the security first. Still no access the secrets, still no FileVault keys (unless you slipped in in a keystroke logger).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol why would I get work emails to my phone

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Twerk from Home posted:

I know nobody was gaming on Mac OS, but now most of the old stuff that ran happily on integrated graphics can't run at all because there were never 64-bit binaries built.

I own a copy of Duskers I can’t play currently because it’s 32-bit (though why someone was making a 32-bit game in 2016 I don’t know. Though the same could be said of Apple dropping 32 bit support). No chance for an update because the dev team broke up right after release.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Same. I would even pay for a new version but what usually happens is the app is just abandoned. e.g. Editorial which hasn’t been updated in forever.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

i agree with havelock re: live tiles

otoh, if your number of unread messages is sufficiently large that you can't tell at a glance if it's changed, it probably doesn't matter if it changed

yeah it does. i get loads of crap i dont care about and im never gonna read and plenty of stuff i am gonna read.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

the app store has been dead for like 6 years now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

do you think maybe its important to actually read emails sometimes. like, not having read them may cause consequences like 'losing your job', so its worth knowing how many emails you haven't looked at yet

even if this is true, I morally object to it, and live my life according to my values

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
the worst thing about live tiles is that they make the home screen visually different. This is terrible becuase the main point of the home screen is to select what you actually want. having to mentally re-orient when you look at it is fundamentally bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Twerk from Home posted:

Apple has had 64 bit computers for like seventeen years. since before the intel transition.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

lol why would I get work emails to my phone

i can't imagine having work email on my phone let alone an unread count or notifications

the only time you should even consider that work email exists is when you're in front of your work computer getting paid to touch it

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

unless your org is giant and sends a bunch of irrelevant poo poo + transactional emails that never need to be read

then leave them unread and just trash them

it's actually easier than it sounds!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nah

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
why would ever not do mail filtering

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

rjmccall posted:

why would ever not do mail filtering

It's the "programming the clock on the VCR" of younger millennials and beyond.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
lol if you read emails

if anything in there actually matters, they’ll let you know. this very rarely happens

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
lol

seriously, children, learn to use mail rules. make mailboxes for things, then have your awesomely powerful computer apply blindingly simple rules to move things into those mailboxes automatically. it is shocking how much better your life will be. people will sign you up for terrible mailing lists full of things you don’t give a poo poo about, and you will unsheathe your katana and spend a minute adding a new rule and then completely forget about it forever. every time you find yourself getting annoyed by email, it’s because you haven’t added new mail rules recently

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

i think the core problem is the way apple handles notifications and encourages others developers to handle notifications is completely loving stupid. In ios every notification stays with you forever until you manually remove it from your notification list. their idiotic design philosophy is that nothing should ever be missed even if the notification was only relevant for 15 seconds 2 weeks ago.

winphone/live tiles were/are the opposite. Only the most recent data is relevant. The user will get too many notifications to the point that they'll never get to all of them so lets just display whats relevant right at this moment. they can always go into the app to see historical data if they want.

microsoft, of course, was correct and apple, as always, was dead wrong. I think the best example of this is my work email on ios shows like 385 unread messages and my work email on win10 mail shows 1. This is because win10 mail only shows me new messages since the last time i looked because who the gently caress cares about emails from a week or even a day ago? Only the hugest "INBOX ZEDRO!!!!" dorks and they're the absolute last people to design anything for. they can go use one of the lovely apps that caters to their brain disease.

this is hilariously wrong, even considering how much ios sucks.

i did the transfer from Wunderlist to Microsoft To-Do, because i had no choice since microsoft bought Wunderlist

on the To-Do app, the loving notification disappears at 12:00 AM. i have never, ever in my life see an app do that before.

that means someone like me that works a lot of rotating shifts, if I have a reminder at 11:45 PM to get milk on my way home, the reminder literally loving disappears 15 minutes later. i would have had to have been looking at my phone in that EXACT 15 minute window to know i needed to pick up milk.

reminders are there to REMIND you to do poo poo. gently caress this "simplification" or "digital detox" stupid feel-good bullshit. reminders/notifications should be right in your loving face because that's the entire goddamn purpose of them.

otherwise take every sticky note you ever put on your fridge, even ones with reminders you haven't gotten to yet, and put them all in an envelope and on a shelf on your basement instead if microsoft's method is so loving fantastic

gently caress microsoft To-Do. what a piece of poo poo. thank loving god they aren't making phone OSes.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 8, 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
more like blunder pissed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

The Management posted:

Apple has had 64 bit computers for like seventeen years. since before the intel transition.

the fact that everyone spent a decade targeting 32-bit osx even though 32-bit intel mac hardware effectively didn't exist is the most baffling thing