Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I enjoyed Season 3 but I agree that it wasn't as good as the first two seasons.

I was particularly annoyed by Ruth not taking the directing job when that's so obviously what she should have done and would have made a perfect ending to the series. Also for some reason I just rolled my eyes during the whole genocide hug between the two female wrestler characters. "The Killing Fields". It was suppose to be such an emotional moment but it felt so...dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Haunting of Hill House for me was really enjoyable right up until it wasn't, and it got so corny in the second half of the season that it retroactively spoiled the first half

I guess a limitation of the genre is you can't really do distilled horror in a longer, serialized format. It's always cut with something else, and in this case I did not like the something else

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
How is The Devil All The Time?

e: on Netflix

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

isaboo posted:

How is The Devil All The Time?

e: on Netflix

It's dull and lifeless, despite some good performances. Skip it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Aww. I still enjoyed it and it deserved a conclusion.

edit: Glow S3. Took way to long to press the button.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

"Magic" on hbo
Anthony Hopkins and Burgess Meredith in a goddamn f****** slog. avoid.
A ventriloquist dummy that kills people shouldn't be this dull

W424
Oct 21, 2010

eighty-four merc posted:

Haunting of Hill House for me was really enjoyable right up until it wasn't, and it got so corny in the second half of the season that it retroactively spoiled the first half

Sameish.
I remember it turning to poo poo at somepoint. Every episode having someone do a loving 15 minute monologue that sounded like it was written by the same person.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Strongly disagree about Haunting of Hill House. It stayed strong from start to finish. I had zero real issues with it, and it was so much better than the majority of horror series. My wife who normally hates horror even loved it. I am surprised how much I liked it given I was originally disappointed that they were not following the original story. In the end that was a great decision due to how beloved the book and the Robert Wise 1963 adaptation are. That pivot allowed them not to be directly compared to these 2 classics which is never a good thing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's dull and lifeless, despite some good performances. Skip it.

Shame (reviews are really all over the place). The book is amazing, but adapting it I knew would be hard. I will still give it a watch soon in hopes I will feel differently than you.

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Ted Lasso was great! Thanks for the suggestion thread

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

5 episodes into Monsterland and it's a bit hit or miss but overall I'm enjoying it. All of the episodes have been thoroughly entertaining with a good, often familiar cast. The only one I thought was outright bad so far was the second episode with it's kitchen sink approach to topical internet stuff. It just felt completely unfocused and dumb. It was still a fun watch though and I like that kid from Ozark so it wasn't all bad.

Episode 5 with the woman from Oitnb and the other lady from The Deuce was the best one by far imo. Felt like sort of an arthouse Tales From the Crypt episode.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Assuming access to a vpn, where should I go to watch Canada’s Worst Handyman and The Great British Bake-off?

There’s only half seasons available in my country and I need to know who wins, it’s very important.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Kinda disappointed that the new Spooky House show is less horror. I'm reminded of that Del Toro ghost story that was marketed as scary but was actually a really nice romantic piece. Am I remembering that right? I want to say it was like... Red House? Rose Red?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

You're thinking of Crimson Peak, which yeah is more of a Gothic romance than a straight horror movie even though it had some cool ghosts. What an awesome set that movie had.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think you mean Crimson Skies 2: High Road to Revenge

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Firstborn posted:

Kinda disappointed that the new Spooky House show is less horror. I'm reminded of that Del Toro ghost story that was marketed as scary but was actually a really nice romantic piece. Am I remembering that right? I want to say it was like... Red House? Rose Red?

Ironically Rose Red is a thinly veiled adaptation of The Haunting of Hill House written by Stephen King

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

When I was a kid I saw part of a ninja movie on cable TV where these bad ninjas were jumping out of holes in a trampled wheat field and killing this cool dude in white. He kept fighting even though his large intestine fell out and swung every where like a knotted rope. Last night I finally found and watched that movie, it was Five Elements Ninjas on Netflix, and I am well satisfied with the violent and bright red bloody entertainment I consumed.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Five Elements Ninjas owns, there are tons more Shaw Bros. kung fu flicks you need to watch now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

When I was a kid I saw part of a ninja movie on cable TV where these bad ninjas were jumping out of holes in a trampled wheat field and killing this cool dude in white. He kept fighting even though his large intestine fell out and swung every where like a knotted rope. Last night I finally found and watched that movie, it was Five Elements Ninjas on Netflix, and I am well satisfied with the violent and bright red bloody entertainment I consumed.

oh drat! I remember seeing that as a kid because my babysitter's teenager had it on. poor dude got yelled at by his dad when he noticed. that's been a vivid image in my brain for over 20 years, so I can't wait to revist.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

DeimosRising posted:

Ironically Rose Red is a thinly veiled adaptation of The Haunting of Hill House written by Stephen King

I have never seen this, but reading the description is exactly the plot of Jackson’s novel. He also used (in a good way) Hill House as inspiration for the Marsten House in Salem’s Lot.

While I hardly ever find anything scary, I do love a good creepy atmosphere. So as long as Bly Manor has some of that I will be happy. Honestly Hill House wasn’t that scary, but that didn’t dampen my enjoyment of it (really liked the SFU meets Hill House vibe).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Famethrowa posted:

oh drat! I remember seeing that as a kid because my babysitter's teenager had it on. poor dude got yelled at by his dad when he noticed. that's been a vivid image in my brain for over 20 years, so I can't wait to revist.

first fighting scene is filled with extremely sexy men in flamboyant white silk outfits fighting other dudes and sometimes committing suicide when they lose

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

david_a posted:

GLOW turned into a drama with occasional humorous bits in the third season; I’m not all that sad about missing out on S4.

Agreed, season 2 was so good :(

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Enos Cabell posted:

Five Elements Ninjas owns, there are tons more Shaw Bros. kung fu flicks you need to watch now.

I loved Five Elements, liked Five Venoms and Flying Guillotine - what should I be watching if I want more like Elements?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Last Hurrah for Chivalry is fantastic, its one of John Wu's first movies.

A Touch of Zen is another good one.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

veni veni veni posted:

5 episodes into Monsterland and it's a bit hit or miss but overall I'm enjoying it. All of the episodes have been thoroughly entertaining with a good, often familiar cast. The only one I thought was outright bad so far was the second episode with it's kitchen sink approach to topical internet stuff. It just felt completely unfocused and dumb. It was still a fun watch though and I like that kid from Ozark so it wasn't all bad.

Episode 5 with the woman from Oitnb and the other lady from The Deuce was the best one by far imo. Felt like sort of an arthouse Tales From the Crypt episode.

I dropped Monsterland at the beginning of the third episode. I felt like they were trying to be a smart topical show, but it all feels dumb. Second episode is indeed extremely BAD.

Has someone watched Books of Blood? Lots of the reviews I looked around are saying it isn't good.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Desperado Bones posted:

I dropped Monsterland at the beginning of the third episode. I felt like they were trying to be a smart topical show, but it all feels dumb. Second episode is indeed extremely BAD.

Has someone watched Books of Blood? Lots of the reviews I looked around are saying it isn't good.

Watched BoB this morning. Didn’t hold my interest for even 15 minutes.

Whether anyone likes Monsterland or not (I haven’t enjoyed the first 2 episodes), the book it’s based on is outright one of the better pieces of horror fiction written. I’ve read North American Lake Monsters 3 times now & it still sticks with me for a few days.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

C2C - 2.0 posted:

What a shame. I was excited because it's Clive Barker's stuff (Reviewers said that two of the three stories weren't based on anything written by Barker and was just original stuff from the show's writers). I'm starting to have early fears that Helstrom might not be too good either.

Anyways, gonna finish The Haunting of Hill House to ease my horror tv show/movie itch.

quote:

I’ve read North American Lake Monsters 3 times now & it still sticks with me for a few days.

Adding that to the must read list.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Whether anyone likes Monsterland or not (I haven’t enjoyed the first 2 episodes), the book it’s based on is outright one of the better pieces of horror fiction written. I’ve read North American Lake Monsters 3 times now & it still sticks with me for a few days.

Wait poo poo I’ve heard a lot about this series and didn’t realize this is the book it’s based on. I guess I have to watch it now because I loved that book, although my expectations will be low based on this thread.

I really hope they do the Monsters of Heaven story justice.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Agreed it is a great read. I even liked his Wounds collection more (reminds me of Barker’s Books of Blood). The Butcher’s Table is one of best things I have read in years.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Desperado Bones posted:

What a shame. I was excited because it's Clive Barker's stuff (Reviewers said that two of the three stories weren't based on anything written by Barker and was just original stuff from the show's writers). I'm starting to have early fears that Helstrom might not be too good either.

I watched the first two yesterday before the biggest horror show of the week the debate and it was decent. Not bad, not good. The first story really gave me chills but had a really bad ending, and the second one was more traditional Barker horror. Incidentally, I had no idea that they actually did a full length movie of that story back in 2009.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Zachack posted:

I loved Five Elements, liked Five Venoms and Flying Guillotine - what should I be watching if I want more like Elements?

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can weigh in, but I loved Crippled Avengers, New One Armed Swordsman, 36th Chambers of the Shaolin, The Master. Not sure if any of those will scratch quite the same itch as Five Elements, but they are all fun.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Medullah posted:

I watched the first two yesterday before the biggest horror show of the week the debate and it was decent. Not bad, not good. The first story really gave me chills but had a really bad ending, and the second one was more traditional Barker horror. Incidentally, I had no idea that they actually did a full length movie of that story back in 2009.

I might give it a tiny chance. A tiny one.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

DeimosRising posted:

I remember watching this miniseries when I decided I should watch a bunch of Stephen King adaptations.

E: Found it, House of the Red 2

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Yeah even if you don't like Monsterland you should check out NALM

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Battlestar Galactica has been missing from streaming services for a bit, but it has reappeared on the free Peacock. It's also been made relevant again due to HBO's the Vow, the actress who played Callie was a core member of the sex cult.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Nihonniboku posted:

Battlestar Galactica has been missing from streaming services for a bit, but it has reappeared on the free Peacock. It's also been made relevant again due to HBO's the Vow, the actress who played Callie was a core member of the sex cult.

:stare: I did not know that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Desperado Bones posted:

Watched it last night, it was OK. Felt more like a TV pilot that got expanded into a movie. The first story was the most fleshed out, and you can basically cut two blink and you miss it, scenes from it and it's completely standalone.

The second story was probably the best one, but it was just too out of place IMHO.

Also, the title indicates that there are more than one Book of Blood, which is blatantly false advertising :colbert:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

:stare: I did not know that.

It's apparently why she was killed off, something about the cult not wanting her working there anymore.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Grace Park was also in the cult. Wouldn’t surprise me if a bunch of the extras got into nexiubvmumxm cult as well. The film biz in Van is relatively small.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Is the HBO doc worth a watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
It's fine but it definitely doesn't need to be 9 hours long; it's a lot of the "escapees" puttering around making phone calls. Cult poo poo fascinates me so I watch it but it could easily have been a two-hour documentary.