Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
And you might say well maybe dumbledore couldn't help him cheat but Cedric helps harry cheat and nothing happens! Cheating is part of the tournament!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Why did enchanting a cup to make Harry fight in the baby wizard death Olympics be the evil dude's first plan
Seems like a really overcomplicated series of steps to kidnap a small child for a graveyard Nazi dismemberment party

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Anyway a hogwarts student dies in the tournament that year and by some miracle it isn't harry. Also the defense against the dark arts teacher has been consorting with the evil racist wizards again and Dumbledore's real hiree was stuffed in a loving trunk. So great spot there dumbledore.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Miss posted:

Why did enchanting a cup to make Harry fight in the baby wizard death Olympics be the evil dude's first plan
Seems like a really overcomplicated series of steps to kidnap a small child for a graveyard Nazi dismemberment party

A week ago maybe more I said never forget voldemort is really dumb, some time maybe I hit onto his perspective in all of this and we can go over how colossally monumentally stupid he is at basically all times.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

If only they had a magical way For determining people were who they said they were, perhaps some magic that's easy enough for a bunch of dropkick students to enchant a map with

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
takes a real moron to lose a fight to a baby, then a child, then a child, then a child, then a young adult

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Miss posted:

"My Lord I have the perfect plan: I will impersonate a professor at Hogwarts, gain Harry's trust, and invite him to my office after class where I will administer a sleeping potion! Then I will put him in my magical trunk that can fit an entire grown rear end adult in it, tell Dumbledore I'm going into Hogsmede for a drink, and as soon as I can aparate I will come right to your side!"

"Too easy. Now listen, I have a plan where you can use the Tri Wizard Tournament-"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

reignofevil posted:

A week ago maybe more I said never forget voldemort is really dumb, some time maybe I hit onto his perspective in all of this and we can go over how colossally monumentally stupid he is at basically all times.

The only person in the entire wizarding world dumber than Voldemort was Dumbledor.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
And I'll tell you what the gently caress dumbledore was doing. Hitting on the bar lady at hogsmead. These books take place over YEARS! He had YEARS to get his poo poo together! He could have put getting his poo poo together off till spring of year four and he'd still be way ahead of where he actually starts being even slightly proactive! He did this to himself and people died!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Sydin posted:

"My Lord I have the perfect plan: I will impersonate a professor at Hogwarts, gain Harry's trust, and invite him to my office after class where I will administer a sleeping potion! Then I will put him in my magical trunk that can fit an entire grown rear end adult in it, tell Dumbledore I'm going into Hogsmede for a drink, and as soon as I can aparate I will come right to your side!"

"Too easy. Now listen, I have a plan where you can use the Tri Wizard Tournament-"

"Messing with the enchantment on the cup is nigh impossible"
"Yes that's why it's such a brilliant plan"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sydin posted:

"Well who do you think is gonna grab the bloody trophy? The up and coming young blood from hogwarts of course! It's the only possible option!"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Somehow my beer became empty

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

The entire wizarding world shrugs when it turns out the baby who killed wizard Hitler was shoved into a closet and abused for a decade as his reward

The entire wizarding world runs off abusing children and "lesser species" (house elves etc)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sydin posted:

Also the guy who enchanted the Cup to trick it into letting him put Harry's name in and then spit it out was presumably not as strong a wizard as Dumbledore, which tells me Dumbledore could have also done some loving magic to trick the cup into disqualifying Harry immediately, which would not only keep Harry way safer but also the other schoolmasters would have had no problem with him doing so considering they were hemming and hawing about Hogwarts getting two champions. He just chose not to.

It is already established that Wizards completely do not give a poo poo about the logistics of anything. I buy it.

"Cup says Harry has to do it."
"Harry says didn't put his own name in the cup."
"The cup's only supposed to select three names!"
"Well...

who are we to judge the Cup."

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So one thing worth noting is Dumbledore is helping Sirius at this time keep away from the law. This is arguably something he did that isn't making him more of an rear end in a top hat for doing it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Dumbledore reforms the order of the phoenix because he failed to keep his students safe, he failed to keep voldemort from kidnapping harry potter and using his blood to change himself out of being a snake baby. He failed to keep his staff from being infiltrated by crazy death eater children of government officials.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
At this point harry starts having weird dreams and Dumbledore is 100% sure harry is an evil soul container for 1/9th of Voldemort's soul. (eight horcruxes plus his "chest hole" as I call it where his soul was initially fully housed)

fun fact everybody has a chest hole and you can feel your inadequacies eating away at your self worth in there at this very moment!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The plan for this notoriously independent teenager is to make him feel as abandoned and isolated as possible so Dumbledore instructs Harry's close friends to be as vague as possible with him and also does everything possible not to directly look harry in the eye. This plan is to keep harry from doing anything stupid.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
You see, Dumbledore is worried if he buddies up with harry, Voldemort will start peering through harry's eyes using their soul connection and uhh frankly I don't really know what Dumbledore would really be worried out in principle from there but it's a fair worry I suppose.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Ultimately isolating Harry means that he does something rash and stupid and Sirius dies. Dumbledore kinda shrugs and sends harry back to his aunt.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Harry yells at dumbledore a bunch at this stage and I agree. Harry almost got ate by giant spiders! Look you could put me in a room with a regular sized spider and I'd never ever forget you did it and probably I'd never forgive you. Harry almost got ate! Those things live within walking distance of the school!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
During the ministry fight voldemort takes over harry's body and it's no big deal at all, proving Dumbledore's whole worry was overblown.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If only Harry had some kind of magical ability to form an alliance with some variety of creature that was an enemy of spiders.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Dumbledore's plan for the possible soul link is for snape to teach harry to block out mind reading. What a great idea. Dumbledore aggressively never asks the basic question if snape can actually ever be trusted to put his grudge aside and actually act like a professional in a work environment.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

If only Harry had some kind of magical ability to form an alliance with some variety of creature that was an enemy of spiders.

Parseltounge harry taming the basilisk and riding it into battle against the acromantula's in the forest is another of those cool fanfic ideas

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
By this point dumbledore is collecting memories. He's driven by guilt and puts on a horcrux so he can apologize to the ghost of his sister and it fucks his arm up real bad. He's dying now. Now his plan involves him dying, as all the best plans do.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
He can't just die though. He has to die an rear end in a top hat. Snape has to kill him to "save" Draco from doing it. Now later on we find out this is because of obscure wand bullshit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also at least in the books Dumbledore just straight up spanks Voldy, sends him running home with his tail between his legs with minimal effort. Kinda negates the whole "I couldn't just duel him because he is actually a stronger wizard then me!" excuse.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Dumbledore, dead, begins instructing snape as a magical painting. His new plan involves Harry freezing to death in an icy pond flailing around for a sword.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Somehow dumbledore has determined harry needs to die so that the horcrux voldemort soul will be gone and that's a necessary step to this plan so he does what all sound minded people do, and this is before he dies, he write in his will that Harry should get a golden snitch with a magic ghost ring inside of it that will only open when harry says he is ready to die which he'll figure out to say after investigating a series of clues left for him via ancient wizard folk tales he will naturally be completely ignorant of.

Also he leaves ron a lighter which can magically teleport you back to the lady you wanna bang and her side piece out in the woods.

Finally hermione gets the childrens book with the hints for everyone because she actually reads.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Still wanna know how good wizards even got snookered by nazis when they have time travel
Surely it would be just like the end of bill and Ted
"After we beat you we went back in time and set up a cage"
"Oh yeah well after I beat you I set up a key for the cage"
"Well we went back and set up a second cage"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The magic lighter works because of course Dumbledore knew that harry would get the magic locket by breaking into the ministry and stealing it from umbrage but then they wouldn't have a means to destroy it so they'd take turns wearing it and the sheer evil of being that close to the soul of a murderer would overwhelm them and they'd have a fight and ron would be the one to storm off and one day he'd be flicking his lighter and then it'd magically teleport him back to the group so they could reunite and work together again.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
AND HE DIDN'T WRITE ANY OF THIS DOWN. NOT. A. GOD. DAMNED. INSTRUCTION.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Ultimately everything works out exactly how dumbledore expected it would when he died months maybe a year earlier. Sure. people got maimed. And sure. He got tons of people killed even before the big fight at the end after he was dead. And sure. He clearly had some idea of how this would all go down because of the ron lighter thing but you know what? At the end of the day, he got results. And he got to be at the magical train station at the end.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
but in my final assessment? He got lucky. Real real drat lucky. There were a million and one ways this coulda gone wrong and dumbledore's careless attitude almost cost him his main objective, ridding the world of the evil immortal wizard voldemort using a magic prophecy baby.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Also his brother punched him one time because dumbledore's a prick.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Come to think about it, I don't know if the books ever really give a reason why Dumbledore is so renowned aside from being the headmaster who was taking some kind of interest in Harry and not being negative like every other adult in Harry's life up to that point.

Maybe he's only so revered because he's a couple hundred years old and was everybody's principle, so everybody has a deeply embedded respect and fear of him from childhood.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

dumbledore is renowned purely by being the least terrible wizard
that's how bad all the others are

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Come to think about it, I don't know if the books ever really give a reason why Dumbledore is so renowned aside from being the headmaster who was taking some kind of interest in Harry and not being negative like every other adult in Harry's life up to that point.

Maybe he's only so revered because he's a couple hundred years old and was everybody's principle, so everybody has a deeply embedded respect and fear of him from childhood.

He was the most brilliant non-evil student Hogwarts ever saw, he defeated Wizard Hitler and the first book has this:

quote:

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SlothfulCobra posted:

If I remember his trading card from the first book correctly, it was for:

1) doing alchemy poo poo with Nicholas Flamel
2) figuring out 12 things to do with dragon's blood that don't involve keeping it inside the dragon so the dragon won't die
3) beating up his ex-boyfriend in a magic duel