Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Granite Octopus posted:

i can't imagine having work email on my phone let alone an unread count or notifications

the only time you should even consider that work email exists is when you're in front of your work computer getting paid to touch it
yeah agreed. I’m not paid anywhere near enough to be able to see my work 24/7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

the fact that everyone spent a decade targeting 32-bit osx even though 32-bit intel mac hardware effectively didn't exist is the most baffling thing

i assume none of their code is 64-bit clean

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rjmccall posted:

lol

seriously, children, learn to use mail rules. make mailboxes for things, then have your awesomely powerful computer apply blindingly simple rules to move things into those mailboxes automatically. it is shocking how much better your life will be. people will sign you up for terrible mailing lists full of things you don’t give a poo poo about, and you will unsheathe your katana and spend a minute adding a new rule and then completely forget about it forever. every time you find yourself getting annoyed by email, it’s because you haven’t added new mail rules recently

at my company outlook rules are limited to like 4kb or something crazy like that which in practice means that i can have 8 rules total and if any of them has any complexity then its 6 or maybe 4. also very on brand for outlook to limit the rules by size and then nowhere in the interface show how large a rule is or how much space is already used. it will simply allow me to create as many rules as i want then as soon as i hit ok it will disable every rule in the order they were created to get back under the limit

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
can you not make client-side rules or is that not a thing in outlook

i mean server-side is way better but you have to do what you can if you can’t get them to bump that server limit

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
client-side mail rules are for chumps. write a sieve script that automatically creates a new folder per mailing list, upload to mail server, never look at email rules again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

, never look at email again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rjmccall posted:

can you not make client-side rules or is that not a thing in outlook

i mean server-side is way better but you have to do what you can if you can’t get them to bump that server limit

im not a computer expert but i didnt think that was possible and i found this in researching it

quote:

Really old versions of Outlook stored client rules in the client and server-based rules used the limited storage space, allowing users to have many more rules. This little trick no longer works as all rules, both client and server, are stored on the Exchange server and subject to the size limit.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sassafras posted:

My wife's still addicted to words with friends... I think nearly ten years ago I was telling her to suck up the $1-3 for no ads and she always refused.

They honor the old "no ads" lifetime purchases, but nowadays it's $13/month - the YouTube "harass people with obnoxious enough ads and many will pay to remove them" model works!

get android, root, install MinMinGuard and literally never see another ad in any app ever again forever

lmfao at paying over $150 per year for a single loving game to not have ads

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pi-hole is nice for app ads. cover the world wide web in blank

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

get android, root, install MinMinGuard and literally never see another ad in any app ever again forever

love too break my security model to not see ads

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Management posted:

Apple has had 64 bit computers for like seventeen years. since before the intel transition.

Somebody should have told little independent game developers “Valve Software”, all Source engine stuff except CS: GO is 32 bit only.

For that matter, game devs were still releasing 32 bit Mac binaries in new products 3 years ago.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rjmccall posted:

lol

seriously, children, learn to use mail rules. make mailboxes for things, then have your awesomely powerful computer apply blindingly simple rules to move things into those mailboxes automatically. it is shocking how much better your life will be. people will sign you up for terrible mailing lists full of things you don’t give a poo poo about, and you will unsheathe your katana and spend a minute adding a new rule and then completely forget about it forever. every time you find yourself getting annoyed by email, it’s because you haven’t added new mail rules recently

mail rules are a stupid hack for email being poo poo. its like categorizing and arranging physical media. its a total waste of time trying to deal with archaic technology and the best way to handle it is throw it away.

rules dont even work because focused inbox gets rid of almost everything and then of whats left there are senders where sometimes i care about what the send and sometimes i dont based on subject or preview.

email is stupid and using total unread count as a workflow trigger is the most boomer thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

LastInLine posted:

at my company outlook rules are limited to like 4kb or something crazy like that which in practice means that i can have 8 rules total and if any of them has any complexity then its 6 or maybe 4. also very on brand for outlook to limit the rules by size and then nowhere in the interface show how large a rule is or how much space is already used. it will simply allow me to create as many rules as i want then as soon as i hit ok it will disable every rule in the order they were created to get back under the limit

the entire idea that you'd have that many rules is absolutely insane

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

normally I’d say Android is dumb and bad, but in this case it’s cheaper to buy an android just for words with friends

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

rjmccall posted:

lol

I just click the unsubscribe button like a normal adult lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I just click the unsubscribe button like a normal adult lol

that'll definitely work for the jobs dot rx alerts about a USPS position in houston. those sites definitely give a poo poo about your consent to receive mail.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

me, when I order something and get added to the company’s mailing list: ah poo poo, lemme unsub real quick with a single click

you, some dork: time to fire up thunderbird and crank out some mail filters LIKE A BOSS

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

that'll definitely work for the jobs dot rx alerts about a USPS position in houston. those sites definitely give a poo poo about your consent to receive mail.

then I mark as spam and gmail filters them for me

it’s a great system

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
email folders are a stupid idea and a relic from a worse time. why can't an email belong to multiple folders (i.e. labels)?

i got sick of managing folders i deleted my rules and replaced them with search folders. it's a lovely hack but it works.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

rjmccall posted:

lol

yea this. less than 5% of my mail hits my inbox

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

me, when I order something and get added to the company’s mailing list: ah poo poo, lemme unsub real quick with a single click

you, some dork: time to fire up thunderbird and crank out some mail filters LIKE A BOSS

i thought we were talking about work email, where you are probably signed up for a mailing list as part of being added to the associated group, which is used for permissions and poo poo

i keep forgetting that some of you are quaint country folks making apps for grandad’s old general store

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

dumping all dist list emails to some shitcan folder by default is basic email hygiene. then you filter in emails selectively. like a default deny in a firewall. cmon now

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I agree delete all emails by default

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I agree delete all emails by default
i delete half my emails as they arrive because i do not care to correspond with unlucky people

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
delete half again for compliance with the the stymie protocol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

delete half again for compliance with the the stymie protocol
:hmmyes:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
yesterday I used my Apple Watch to wake up and it was great
today the watch vibrating was actually integrated in my dream and I spent like 10 minutes troubleshooting my watch in my dream because it wouldn’t stop vibrating, I woke up when I tried to do a factory reset

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

rjmccall posted:

i thought we were talking about work email, where you are probably signed up for a mailing list as part of being added to the associated group, which is used for permissions and poo poo

i’ve been reorged at Microsoft three times this year and no matter what I do I still end up on one of the other teams mailing lists and I can’t fully leave. not just email, but calendar invites for things I won’t ever go to.

created a few rules to move them into folders that auto archive and cancel the appointment emails. made it much better.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
sounds about right for microsoft, don't fix the root cause, just paper over it with extra complexity

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you don’t get hundreds of emails a day from build servers, commit summaries, project mailing lists, and your coworker announcing they had a baby, are you even working?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Perplx posted:

yesterday I used my Apple Watch to wake up and it was great
today the watch vibrating was actually integrated in my dream and I spent like 10 minutes troubleshooting my watch in my dream because it wouldn’t stop vibrating, I woke up when I tried to do a factory reset

better than hearing my loudass doorbell in my dream and jumping out of bed at 4am

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i delete half my emails as they arrive because i do not care to correspond with unlucky people

*person walks up to you at your desk*

you: "call it"

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I had a really great email rule at the last job that i'd keep adding through whenever anything got through. it was something like if subject contains sick | ooo | out of office | snow | rain | traffic | dr | doctor | late | under the weather | flu | cold delete it, but it'd went on and on. i don’t care if you're not coming in don’t tell me shut up

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

carry on then posted:

*person walks up to you at your desk*

you: "call it"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pardot posted:

I had a really great email rule at the last job that i'd keep adding through whenever anything got through. it was something like if subject contains sick | ooo | out of office | snow | rain | traffic | dr | doctor | late | under the weather | flu | cold delete it, but it'd went on and on. i don’t care if you're not coming in don’t tell me shut up

this is an attempt at a technical solution to a human problem. try creating a mailing list for these kinds of things and instructing everyone to use that. then the only mail rule you need is to trash those

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

rjmccall posted:

i keep forgetting that some of you are quaint country folks making apps for grandad’s old general store

oh yeah, i'm an hourly work scrub that no one wants to talk to, doesn't have any meetings to attend and refuses to put work email on my personal phone

i could see how work email might be more troublesome for you six figgie folks

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Management posted:

if you don’t get hundreds of emails a day from build servers, commit summaries, project mailing lists, and your coworker announcing they had a baby, are you even working?

Reply to the baby announcement with a congrats. Sign off and shut down. A good day of work.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Gentle Autist posted:

do you think maybe its important to actually read emails sometimes. like, not having read them may cause consequences like 'losing your job', so its worth knowing how many emails you haven't looked at yet

OTOH, a live tile or badge which showed both would be great - unread, new since you last unlocked your phone/looked at this tile (using magical eye tracking or w/e)

It doesn't mark all your emails as read when you open the app. "Unread" is still a concept that exists. It just uses "new since you last looked" instead of "unread" to drive the notification badge.

Since you are advocating for a tile that shows both I'm going to assume you are trolling, though.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the new widgets are basically live tiles (show some information and deeplink into the app when you touch it) so in theory someone could make a mail program that does what you nerds want. tim is even letting us set the default app for mailto: now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Juul-Whip posted:

the new widgets are basically live tiles (show some information and deeplink into the app when you touch it) so in theory someone could make a mail program that does what you nerds want. tim is even letting us set the default app for mailto: now!

The smallest widget size is still huge (vs being app icon sized) and the underlying notification system is severely limited so there's still a long way to go, but hey it only took 10 years for them to get this far with their copy.