Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I need to do a fresh install sometime to clear out all the poo poo I've installed. I've been putting it off because I've got a bunch of windows store games that I'd have to uninstall first or have to gently caress with permissions to delete them again. Microsoft needs to fix that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Well, I know I said that I quit playing, but just tried to do a short flight. Clear skies and winds aloft of...150mph at FL310. Seems legit

edit: maybe this is normal? looks like I'm flying in the polar jetstream

Soy Division fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 7, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Storm Ciara helps plane beat transatlantic flight record https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51433720

The jet stream reached speeds of 260 mph (418 km/h) on Sunday morning, according to BBC Weather.

Vaminn
Jan 29, 2003

Soy Division posted:

Well, I know I said that I quit playing, but just tried to do a short flight. Clear skies and winds aloft of...150mph at FL310. Seems legit

edit: maybe this is normal? looks like I'm flying in the polar jetstream

I checked the winds aloft on noaa and it seems right.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Vaminn posted:

I checked the winds aloft on noaa and it seems right.

Yeah, just usually don't fly in regions where the jet stream is active so it was a bit of a surprise.

Flight was still a dud though, since I'm working I turned on the AI copilot (which you could previously rely on to at least fly the flight plan even if it would crash the plane on final) and it decided to ignore the approach ATC gave it and fly 100 miles past the airport.

Also, MSFS turned off my Bing Maps texture downloads for no reason. If things suddenly look like poo poo make sure to take a look at that setting!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Soy Division posted:

Do we know if there is a patch coming this week? I have basically quit playing this for now due to all the poo poo the latest patch broke, which makes me sad because I like flight simming and Star Wars Squadrons is a pale substitute.

Somebody mod lasers onto the Cessna.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shine posted:

Somebody mod lasers onto the Cessna.

Laser tag from planes :thunk:

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
Anyone know if there is a TrackIR6 coming out any time soon (or ever)? I'm looking to build a PC for FS2020 at some point in the future and considering whether it's worth dusting off the old kit or just replacing it. I have a TrackIR4 of some variety or other, along with a HOTAS Cougar (upgraded to U2NXT gimbals and IJ's throttle modifications) and a set of Simped F-16+ pedals. Trying to figure out if I should just buy new stuff or if that will do the trick.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Soy Division posted:

Flight was still a dud though, since I'm working I turned on the AI copilot (which you could previously rely on to at least fly the flight plan even if it would crash the plane on final) and it decided to ignore the approach ATC gave it and fly 100 miles past the airport.

drat, this sim is impressively realistic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Airlines_Flight_188

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LOL I was looking for that too.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Anyone know if there is a TrackIR6 coming out any time soon (or ever)?

I wouldn’t count on it. VR with 1:1 head tracking is the new standard.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Anyone know if there is a TrackIR6 coming out any time soon (or ever)? I'm looking to build a PC for FS2020 at some point in the future and considering whether it's worth dusting off the old kit or just replacing it. I have a TrackIR4 of some variety or other, along with a HOTAS Cougar (upgraded to U2NXT gimbals and IJ's throttle modifications) and a set of Simped F-16+ pedals. Trying to figure out if I should just buy new stuff or if that will do the trick.

The new ios and Android apps that use the camera to connect to open track are kind of killing that market now. Maybe check out the smooth track app first and see if it does what you need.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I had to figure that if snapchat could follow your face around years ago, you don't need an IR hat thing.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Your phone has an IR sensor for depth, which most webcams do not. That's why there's the Open Track IR or w/e package that works with PlayStation Eye cameras, because they do have an IR sensor.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

gently caress SNEEP posted:

That's why there's the Open Track IR or w/e package that works with PlayStation Eye cameras, because they do have an IR sensor.

No it doesn't. In fact, you have to remove the filter for it to even see infrared

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Anyone know if there is a TrackIR6 coming out any time soon (or ever)?

I think there are some OpenTrack facetracking apps on phones, but you would need to have your PC on the same LAN since they'll need to talk to an OpenTrack server on your machine. I've heard some decent things about SmoothTrack but I haven't had personal experience with it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I wouldn’t count on it. VR with 1:1 head tracking is the new standard.

Probably, but I'm perfectly happy with 2D and don't want to spend the entire cost of my computer again for a headset that's going to be obsolete in 3 years, plus better video card to actually run the headset.

Though I totally understand the appeal for those that do it. It sounds sick.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I tried PSVR once and it made me motion sick for perhaps the first time in my life, I'll wait for the Holodecks personally

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

VR motion sickness, for what it’s worth, seems to be VERY subjective.

I have an iron stomach and don’t get motion sickness from drat near anything - but specifically Onward VR was gag worthy within about 20 minutes of play. Meanwhile I can play other VR games like The Climb or spin around acrobatically in planes and other flying things with no issue - games which I’ve had friends say make them puke like I did with onward. It’s really weird what your brain picks up that it decides what’s okay or what’s gonna make you wanna vomit.

In a way that’s an indictment of VR though because really the only way to know if an experience is going to screw you up is to try specifically that experience unless you really just can’t do VR in any way at all. FWIW being seated and “grounded” in view with having a cockpit hasn’t ever been an issue for me or the few folks I’ve had use my headset, where as more movement oriented games have been. X-plane even ran so bad that by the FPS counter it should have been pukey, but the only issue was bad resolution.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can you do anything with an Oculus Go? I think there's some accessory that with stream to it from a PC.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I have no experience with it, but given how “early” VR feels and the hoops you have to jump through to get it to run well on official, supported games and platforms, I can’t imagine trying to use third party stuff to try and stream to a headset not meant for the experience.

Imo if a game doesn’t have the actual developer implementing and supporting specific VR it’s just way too janky to run. Anything I’ve run that hasn’t been a specific VR release is trash. For better or worse, VR cannot just be a drop in head tracking replacement if the game doesn’t build around it. It speaks to why VR is special, but also prevents it from being as extensible as head tracking.

E: and I know it’s not a universal opinion, but despite all of my caveats in these posts about VR, there is nothing more special than feeling like you’re there and having the lighting and depth that VR brings to a civilian flight sim. Realistically I hated the poo poo out of x-plane purely on its merits, but I was willing to pound that fucker into something I’d enjoy because the experience of being in the plane and flipping switches with VR hands was so fuckin cool.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 8, 2020

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have the Premium Deluxe edition and I've lost planes (a plane?) due to a known issue with Windows v2040. After spending the time to complete the Cessna 152 training I wanted to step up to the "steam gauge" 172 but it's missing from my a/c list. So I tried to learn to use the Garmin1000 and I loving hate it. The packs under Game management show both "installed" and "! in a circle - 'This content is not compatible with your device.'" So gently caress off MS. I was really getting into learning to use my RPMs/airspeed to really learn climb/cruise/descent/approach and the VASI/PEPI lights but the tutorials on the GARMIN setup on YouTube are loving horrible.

So I am playing Squadrons on my XBox (yeah, I can't afford all that fancy VR poo poo anyway) until they announce a fix. Good luck getting anyone from Microsoft to give a poo poo. Squadrons (SP so far) is scratching an itch I've had since I was about seven years old.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think if you delete the folder for the 172, it will redownload it and it should show up.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
VR headsets are a no-go with me simply because my head is too loving big. If I'm using contacts then I'm still wiping the panels with my eyelashes and the whole thing is squeezing on me.

Given this, it does mean I actually did try one and I heavily recommend you find yourself one for a day. I remember in the Oculus Rift demo with the cassette robot that I felt something on my right hand, looked down in-game, and found a glowing moth resting on it and I panicked for a second. The level of awe from it all was on par to when I played the Doom demo for the first time as an 11-year-old without being told in advance what I was getting into. Some SysOp I had met on an online service back when sent me it along with some Wolf3d map editor stuff that I actually wanted. She was a devious one.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I think if you delete the folder for the 172, it will redownload it and it should show up.
I will try this!

No, I won't! MS doesn't want me to know where FS is installed. I'm going to bed.

gently caress Microsoft.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 8, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I tried a custom GPS run from Paderborn to my wife family's German hometown. Getting the world map to behave was difficult but I eventually finagled it. However, I tried to set the arrival as an ILS approach, but it never took. Given the discussion about VOR stations in Europe, I guess I'm not surprised. Normally, I would expect the VOR to default to it but it didn't. I had most of the approach in GPS coordinates, but it was putting me north (right) of the runway. I suppose I should not conclude a problem there until I try an RNAV approach instead.

The autopilot disabled on the approach too. When it should have turned for the coordinates along the approach, it just overshot using its last heading; it didn't turn at all. I saw my navigation had somehow from FMS mode to VOR. Since there was no VOR fix, it just kept ambling along.

I'm trying to start being a good boy with the rudder but it's really snappy trying to just do the small adjustments. I'm guessing most people are heavily dampening the sensitivity curve for their rudder control. Can somebody describe (or just show a screenie) of what is more appropriate?

Finally, I had a strange TBM quirk this time. It was getting mad about my propeller RPM being way too high but my throttle was pretty consistently between 30-40%. I never figured out what I did and it didn't really drop down until I had landed.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Are bush flight legs just plain not completing? I tried to do some of the Breckenridge flights and the typical completed screen wasn't popping up after I landed.

Mostly
Jul 29, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kunabomber posted:

Are bush flight legs just plain not completing? I tried to do some of the Breckenridge flights and the typical completed screen wasn't popping up after I landed.

If you started the bush trip before an update, guess what, you have to start it again!!!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kunabomber posted:

Any bush flights started on the launch version need to be restarted. Saves broke after the first big patch and it seems the japan update didn't fix it. You do this by finding your save folder (search for "NEVADA_SAVE" if you're having trouble finding it), deleting/renaming the save folder, then entering the bush flight menu again.

You can rapidly get back to where you were by using dev mode to teleport you from airport to airport. The ICAO codes for your destination airports are always at the top of the flight log every leg. You should be able to get back to where you were after 5 minutes or so of teleporting around.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

VR headsets are a no-go with me simply because my head is too loving big. If I'm using contacts then I'm still wiping the panels with my eyelashes and the whole thing is squeezing on me.

Hello fellow big head haver. On reverb I can't adjust the straps far enough out, they're just hanging on the stops now. And I brush the lenses with my eyelashes. While vive was never a problem, you can even adjust the depth from pads to lenses. So don't give up yet? Depending on which headsets you've tried.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

https://www.amazon.com/Arducam-Comp...68-d89d95c82244

I got this and use it with facetracknoir. It works really well, and if you want to convert it for use with LED's all you have to do is tape a piece of film over it, no loving around with taking it apart.

Yes I know, the main reason I got it was so I could use the face tracking with the lights off, and it does that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vr chat:

I have no issues in iracing or games where you move with teleportation. If it's a stick controlled 'walk' I'll start getting motion sick pretty quickly

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Mostly posted:

If you started the bush trip before an update, guess what, you have to start it again!!!

Hell yeah!!!!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I was flying a 152 and having some fun going to Catalina. I'm going to land and my engine quits.

It's out of gas because it's only drawing from the right tank, but this is a Cessna 152 and it doesn't have a tank selector equipped. I think they both just feed into the engine by gravity.

Someone said to map the selector to a keyboard key, and it worked, but c'mon man. The Cessna is supposed to be the most simple and you go and make a phantom selector switch?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

skooma512 posted:

I was flying a 152 and having some fun going to Catalina. I'm going to land and my engine quits.

It's out of gas because it's only drawing from the right tank, but this is a Cessna 152 and it doesn't have a tank selector equipped. I think they both just feed into the engine by gravity.

Someone said to map the selector to a keyboard key, and it worked, but c'mon man. The Cessna is supposed to be the most simple and you go and make a phantom selector switch?

It's been at least 15 years since I logged time in a Cessna 152, but I seem to recall there was no fuel selector It was either open or closed and was gravity fed from the two wing tanks.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

It's been at least 15 years since I logged time in a Cessna 152, but I seem to recall there was no fuel selector It was either open or closed and was gravity fed from the two wing tanks.

I looked all over the cockpit for a selector lever, and people on some other forum say the same as you: There are two fuel tanks but they drain equally and without any way for the pilot to select them.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

skooma512 posted:

I looked all over the cockpit for a selector lever, and people on some other forum say the same as you: There are two fuel tanks but they drain equally and without any way for the pilot to select them.

I want to reiterate that I want to love this game, so bad, but it feels like its only gotten way worse since launch and new bugs and errors keep cropping up with each patch.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Honestly, when the hell can we expect any Flight Sim Hardware to be in stock ever again? poo poo's getting ridiculous.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

sigher posted:

Honestly, when the hell can we expect any Flight Sim Hardware to be in stock ever again? poo poo's getting ridiculous.

Star Wars Squadrons just came out and people are buying up sticks for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Star Wars Squadrons just came out and people are buying up sticks for that.

Hard to imagine anyone's buying a stick just for Squadrons. The MSFS-induced hardware shortage still hasn't ended.