Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dawgstar posted:

It's interesting to compare Tony B showing up to Ralphie who also pops up out of nowhere, both with excuses for not being around, but Ralphie feels a lot more like part of the world.

Ralph isn't Tony's old buddy where they go way back and have an implied very personal history that we're supposed to care very deeply about. He's just some rear end in a top hat wiseguy that was "down in Florida" for a while and came back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yeah. No welcome home party for Ralphie IIRC

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

Ralph isn't Tony's old buddy where they go way back and have an implied very personal history that we're supposed to care very deeply about. He's just some rear end in a top hat wiseguy that was "down in Florida" for a while and came back.

Well they do have an implied history. He was in Tony and Jackie’s little junior crew.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Well they do have an implied history. He was in Tony and Jackie’s little junior crew.

He missed the big score with them because of the Clap

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

veni veni veni posted:

Ralph and Tony B are the big ones, but I’m pretty sure Vito, Bobby, the guy who died on the toilet and twins just kind of show up out of nowhere in between seasons too. And once they showed up it was just like they’d been there all along.

At least Ralph and tony had reasons they weren’t around.

Doing a rewatch now, Vito was in scenes in season 2 before he started to become important, Bobby was around from season 2 before becoming important, and Gigi was the guy who clipped Philly Parisi and turned up a bunch in season 2 before he became capo in season 3, so I don't think any of them showed up out of nowhere.

EDIT Patsy did kinda come out nowhere though. 'Hey, that random guy who got shot? Turns out he has a twin, 'cause David Chase liked the actor!'

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 7, 2020

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Ralph and Tony B are the big ones, but I’m pretty sure Vito, Bobby, the guy who died on the toilet and twins just kind of show up out of nowhere in between seasons too. And once they showed up it was just like they’d been there all along.

At least Ralph and tony had reasons they weren’t around.

And you used to sell laser printers out of the back of your crown vic...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

Doing a rewatch now, Vito was in scenes in season 2 before he started to become important, Bobby was around from season 2 before becoming important, and Gigi was the guy who clipped Philly Parisi and turned up a bunch in season 2 before he became capo in season 3, so I don't think any of them showed up out of nowhere.

EDIT Patsy did kinda come out nowhere though. 'Hey, that random guy who got shot? Turns out he has a twin, 'cause David Chase liked the actor!'

I didn't mean they became big characters out of nowhere. I meant their characters literally came out of nowhere. Like, they would frequently just add guys to the crew without even acknowledging why they are there all of a sudden.

I've never really considered it a ding against the show, because they could have just quietly moved up the ranks in the background or something. But binge watching it again, it was super weird just seeing new characters pop up with no introduction, and the show treats them like they have been there all along.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also, one of the best scenes that I totally forgot about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a02tQoGjEY

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Phil's wife is so hateable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Phil reminds me so much of Trump.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't mean they became big characters out of nowhere. I meant their characters literally came out of nowhere. Like, they would frequently just add guys to the crew without even acknowledging why they are there all of a sudden.

I've never really considered it a ding against the show, because they could have just quietly moved up the ranks in the background or something. But binge watching it again, it was super weird just seeing new characters pop up with no introduction, and the show treats them like they have been there all along.

Yeah, I get ya, I'm kinda noticing that too. But to me anyway it contributes to how 'real' the show's world feels, loads of characters who are just faces until they become particularly relevant to the main characters. It's a big family. Not to mention all the people who we never get to see at all - like, the Barese crew is meant to be the largest in the family (IIRC), but we see, what, three members? And two of them are the Barese boys.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Wasn't Vito in season 1 in the bakery where Chris shoots the kid in the foot?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Wasn't Vito in season 1 in the bakery where Chris shoots the kid in the foot?

Same actor but different character, yeah, I noticed that on my rewatch. The clerk refers to him by name, and I forget what it is, but it isn't vito.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s pretty easy Ralphie has a history with Tony but Tony didn’t care all that much about him.

So Ralphie has a history but is only important because if his own drive

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Tony B got arrested before he became a made man. It seems like Ralph is a made guy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1313908953105887232

...huh.

Also Rusty Venture clearly has good taste in movies and TV.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've been meaning to work that gesture into every day life, followed by violently tossing chairs at the ceiling while shouting slurs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s pretty easy Ralphie has a history with Tony but Tony didn’t care all that much about him.

So Ralphie has a history but is only important because if his own drive

Yeah, I believe Ralphie when he says he ran with Jackie Aprile, Tony and Silvio and I believe that HE believes that if he hadn't had the clap he'd have been in on the poker game score and ended up rising up the ranks as a result. But I also believe that he really overestimates or overblows his status within that crew.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Stupida fuckin debate

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I believe Ralphie when he says he ran with Jackie Aprile, Tony and Silvio and I believe that HE believes that if he hadn't had the clap he'd have been in on the poker game score and ended up rising up the ranks as a result. But I also believe that he really overestimates or overblows his status within that crew.

Do you think he had the clap at all? I always thought Ralph was lying with that story. I think he chickened out (or just wasn't asked by Tony/Jackie to tag along). Maybe he even told Tony/Jackie that he couldn't join them due to the clap but it was really his way of saving face because he was worried about the consequences of robbing a game like that.

I dunno. I just feel like there's more to that story than what Ralph told Jackie JR. It comes off to me as a story he invented to save face over him being absent from such a pivotal event in the rise of Tony and Jackie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ginette Reno posted:

Do you think he had the clap at all? I always thought Ralph was lying with that story. I think he chickened out (or just wasn't asked by Tony/Jackie to tag along). Maybe he even told Tony/Jackie that he couldn't join them due to the clap but it was really his way of saving face because he was worried about the consequences of robbing a game like that.

I dunno. I just feel like there's more to that story than what Ralph told Jackie JR. It comes off to me as a story he invented to save face over him being absent from such a pivotal event in the rise of Tony and Jackie.

It's certainly an interesting idea. There's also the notion he wasn't even invited at all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

It's certainly an interesting idea. There's also the notion he wasn't even invited at all.

That's how I always read the scene. He was trying to explain to his girlfriend's son why he wasn't as "big" as his boss, so made up a story about how he was thiiiiiis close to being just as important.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's completely plausible yeah, we see time and time again how smoothly these guys lie to save face. Like the scene where Christopher casually tells JT that he "got out of" show business because Jon Favreau stole his ideas.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Right but I mean Ralph showing up "out of nowhere" isn't such a hard sell since he's just another wise guy who was out of town in Miami doing Miami Wise Guy poo poo and we're never led to believe Tony or anyone else was especially close to him, liked him or ever thought about him. Plus his history is gradually woven in as his personality. Blundetto is revealed on TV being released and we're expected to immediately digest "Ohhhh...no poo poo....my fuckin long lost cousin with the same name as me or whom I have so much surrounding guilt and love that explains my mental problems!" He's never come up in therapy, talks with my Ma, conversations with Uncle June or alluded to before in any way but don't worry, we'll reveal all that in future episodes because casting Buscemi on the show is an ace.

Random gangsters coming and going I can buy since guys move around all the time and we're never meant to be all that emotionally invested in them. Robert Loggia and Joey Pants are fine along these lines. Buscemi's appearance and, to a lesser extent, Julianna Margulies' were brushing real close up to the line of stunt casting. At least for me. It's like trying to imagine Ice Cube or Larry Fishburne suddenly showing up in The Wire out of nowhere, written with deep emotional and historic ties to Stringer or Avon, and then having to buy into all the gravitas that goes with that sort of thing. Or having one of them be Lester or Bunk's long lost partner on the force with some sort of never before explained backstory about corruption and cover ups that Really Weigh on the Story popping up at the beginning of season 4.

Fortunately, the acting and writing on the Sopranos was so good that it was enough to overcome all that, and "the new cast members" I mentioned both gave really great performances and were fun to watch, so it never took me out of the show but Buscemi's reveal was still the only time I remember saying to myself "really"? with this show.

The closeness and deep emotional bond with the Two Tonys just wasn't earned even if it wasn't enough to ruin the plot.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it could have been ruined pretty easily if any other two actors had been asked to sell it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/racheldenav/status/1313882522783227906?s=21

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I can literally hear it in his voice only as ton' instead of the full tony.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's how I always read the scene. He was trying to explain to his girlfriend's son why he wasn't as "big" as his boss, so made up a story about how he was thiiiiiis close to being just as important.

Yeah same here, especially because his reason for bailing still makes him seem kinda cool (too much sex!).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1313908953105887232

...huh.

Also Rusty Venture clearly has good taste in movies and TV.

Sonny had five fingers, but he only used three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2DecOs2UoI

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tony picked up AJ's copy of People's History and it really changed his life

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

BiggerBoat posted:

Stupida fuckin debate

lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Give me $1200

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

The closeness and deep emotional bond with the Two Tonys just wasn't earned even if it wasn't enough to ruin the plot.

Yeah, I can see that.

ruddiger posted:

Sonny had five fingers, but he only used three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2DecOs2UoI

How is A Bronx Tale? Possibly embarrassingly, I've never actually seen it despite it having a lot of the cast in it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I can see that.

How is A Bronx Tale? Possibly embarrassingly, I've never actually seen it despite it having a lot of the cast in it.

Deniro directed it and while he’s totally channeling Scorsese, it’s still really good, has a lot of strong performances, and is still socially relevant with its themes. Chaz Palminteri is fantastic in it. The score is a classic too. There’s an amazing acapella song in there.

Nothing embarrassing about not having watched it, I’m kinda jealous you get to see it for the first time.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 9, 2020

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
DO NOT open your snapper DVD case for A Bronx Tale and read the chapter titles because they contain a big spoiler.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm only at ep4 but does poor Steve ever get a better webcam or am I gonna be looking at ps5 resolution blurriness for the entire podcast? Imperioli aint much better. Too bad Bose doesn't make cameras

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I could only listen to the first ep because the sound quality was so bad.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ain't it funny you got unending troves of talentless gently caress faces on YouTube talking about nothing in pristine quality and Hollywood guys from the greatest show ever working with a Toshiba laptop from 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

how do they manuge