Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
I feel like a kid again, growing up with TNG. This had just about all the emotion of Picard, but with far more joy. I'm just very happy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Who knew the cartoon would be the best Trek we’ve gotten in 20 years

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh my god that big rescue scene was so cringeworthily cheesy I loved it so much

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Someone remake :spock: but it's S H A X S

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

That was just loving great. Outstanding visuals too, especially when the Titan swooped in and dispatched the Pakleds (a great callback, having them as a powerful enemy with plausible motivations, and the TMP/TNG music was absolutely perfect).
I love the super deep cuts, like the Spock helmet, even if it makes no sense why it exists.
The episode was a huge nostalgia bomb with the old shows being mostly respectfully referenced.
I'm also super glad the finally canonized the design of the Titan, one of the first times a tie-in novel details made its way to canon. Kinda like Sulu's first name, it was revealed in the novels and made its way to canon.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Ooh, maybe Badgie downloaded himself into Rutherford’s implant! And then grafted it onto Shaxs!

I hope a running gag is that every season has Rutherford’s prosthesis is from a different race and all of the complications that come with that. And then every season finale manufactures an excuse for that season’s prosthesis to be destroyed. Next season: Gorn!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wee Bairns posted:

Kinda like Sulu's first name, it was revealed in the novels and made its way to canon.

Or Uhura - it was only Nyota in books and things until Star Trek 2009. She never got a name onscreen in TOS or the movies. The running gag in Trek 09 about her not telling Kirk her name was a nod to that.

Also, I don't know what they're talking about, Kirk clearly left adequate precautions behind on Beta III:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 8, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Hey that was pretty good.

First one I just sat and enjoyed instead of being taken out of for whatever reason.

edit: I also just remembered that when Riker first showed up on screen, I thought it was Adam Scott's random character from First Contact, because uh, IMO that did not look a lot like Riker 👀

and,

Alchenar posted:

I like this episode and I think it's helped me draw out what I think works and doesn't work about the show. The show is best when it forgets it's supposed to be funny. Just good natured story telling varying between seriousness and levity building towards a moral at the end, with dollops of references and call backs to the rest of Trek.

The comedy is... strange. I don't think at any point in the entire season I thought our four main cast were actually funny or interesting. Mariner is annoying. Boimler is annoying and the show can't decide if he's competent or not. Rutherford and Tendi are one dimensionally nice but don't really have anything going on beyond that. But the supporting characters and cast are incredible. Ransom is great. Riker was hilarious this episode, and generally the guest stars have been great. If Shaxs gets one line in an episode it's guaranteed to be the stand-out funniest moment. The writers know how to write good jokes, but for some reason there's an enormous gulf in quality depending on who they are writing for.

e: actually thinking about it there are two episodes out of ten this season where the resolution relies upon Shaxs literally carrying the limp body of one of the main cast to where it needs to be. That's a bit unintentionally meta

agreed.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 8, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alchenar posted:

I like this episode and I think it's helped me draw out what I think works and doesn't work about the show. The show is best when it forgets it's supposed to be funny. Just good natured story telling varying between seriousness and levity building towards a moral at the end, with dollops of references and call backs to the rest of Trek.

This is basically what people said about The Orville and what the show ended up leaning into to become better.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

These last few episodes have been an absolute blast. Very pleasantly surprised. Looking forward to a...next season? Didnt think id ever type that out.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Also, I don't know what they're talking about, Kirk clearly left adequate precautions behind on Beta III:

i truly, truly love that they established they slapped a sign on landru and called it a day

edit: also i don't remember return of the archons that well so may watch it tonight

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I can't imagine how slapdash the TOS era second contact crew would be. Probably lost a lot of ships that way.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Crusader posted:

i truly, truly love that they established they slapped a sign on landru and called it a day

edit: also i don't remember return of the archons that well so may watch it tonight

Thankfully I have yet to see anyone say that Mariner was violating the prime directive by handing out art supplies.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

ElBrak posted:

I can't imagine how slapdash the TOS era second contact crew would be. Probably lost a lot of ships that way.

season 2 flashbacks please

thinking about it, wasn’t a "piece of the action" an inadvertent second contact mission? seems like a decent template for how those would go down

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Goddamit this show is excellent! With all the other new Trek shows I started hopeful and they got worse by the episode. This started good and got better. Amazing! :imunfunny:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHAXS!!!!!!!!___filler to screw with the spoiler size

That was a crazy good episode. Lower Decks is the best Star Trek in twenty years. I never thought I'd say that a year ago. The callbacks worked seeing the TOS era in TAS style is incredible and just makes me happy.

Does this mean that we're potentially looking at main cast Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis next year?

The whole idea of "we shouldn't just ignore species that we've met once and talked to about their ways" is a really great one. This is a good way to do references and callbacks.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I love the captain's threat to "paradox" the computer into killing itself. Classic.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

alright I was close enough with my speculation of Rutherford's implant malfunctioning being critical to another episode but I think we got good mileage out of it for this season. This was actually a fantastic episode since it didn't drag anything out from previous episodes, unless the status quo is going to be somewhat returned in season 2, perhaps LTJG Boimler will get busted back down for getting in over his head (or Mariner sabotages him in some way to get him transferred back) or we could be bouncing between two lower deck crews now.

I'm kinda hoping for the second option because this will give us the opportunity to see what missions are like for another exploration ship that isn't the Enterprise (and presumably won't get sent to another side of the universe ala Voyager) so we get this cool balance of "boring" missions with the Cerritos and "awesome" missions with the Titan. Plus it means we could get more Riker and Troi action :neckbeard:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I just realized that the Pakleds are wearing the Klingon helmets from the Kelvin-era movies.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, this is basically the only way that sci-fi comedy ever works. The Orville had the same issue. It was at its worst when it was self-consciously trying to be funny, and it improved dramatically when it just embraced being off-brand TNG with more levity. Same thing here. This show works best by far when it's Star Trek first.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I'm pretty sure they used the TOS phaser effect for the busted old shuttle Sequoia. The most inconsequential dumb little reference, but I loved it.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Riker of Rohan just got confirmed for season 2 at the NY comic con panel

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aces High posted:

perhaps LTJG Boimler will get busted back down for getting in over his head (or Mariner sabotages him in some way to get him transferred back)

Calling it now: Boimler gets busted back down because he becomes the Titan’s Mariner. We already saw the beginnings of that with Boimler impressing his new crew mates with his lived experience instead of his learned knowledge.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Kate Mulgrew also got announced for Star Trek: Prodigy

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010

Crusader posted:

Riker of Rohan just got confirmed for season 2 at the NY comic con panel

Explain please? I don't get the reference and feel tentatively excited.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

tragedyjones posted:

Explain please? I don't get the reference and feel tentatively excited.

oh, i was just being cute with the spoiler length and the character's newly-established habit, but the actor is confirmed to be returning next season

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The moment when a ship full of people we've met before, however briefly, gets ripped apart and explodes in an almost disturbingly beautiful way with the loss of everyone aboard was atypically dark for Trek in general, never mind LD. Light comedy, light comedy, EVERYONE DIES SCREAMING.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Payndz posted:

The moment when a ship full of people we've met before, however briefly, gets ripped apart and explodes in an almost disturbingly beautiful way with the loss of everyone aboard was atypically dark for Trek in general, never mind LD. Light comedy, light comedy, EVERYONE DIES SCREAMING.

I appreciated how they set up that it was a new ship with a rookie crew that didn't have a lot of expertise by having the captain want to keep the plastic on all the screens and everyone has to take off their shoes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The taking off the shoes thing got a legit, out loud laugh from me.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
For season 2 for lower decks I would love a cameo featuring Kelsey Grammer, and he's still the captain of the Boseman and he's STILL wearing the movie uniforms.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Payndz posted:

yeah i was pretty stunned the ship went out in an instant like that with all hands, and then by how nice it looked D:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So how are they going to have Captain (not Admiral) Janeway as a regular in Prodigy, based on the premise? The ship's Mark 2 ECH?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I'm guessing the kids take control of a derelict ship and either:

a) Get lost somewhere far away, like Voyager did.

b) Go somewhere they're not supposed to, like a Neutral Zone situation.

And Admiral Janeway is either remotely guiding them home, or taking the opportunity to get them to do an important secret mission that Starfleet wouldn't normally be able to get done. She may not actually set foot on the ship. She could be a floating head mentor character, like Zordon.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

The fact that they show the TOS characters as a still from TAS is the cherry on top.

Show is good, naysayers were wrong. Looking forward to season 2.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

love 2 have collector plates of my former xo

Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 8, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Payndz posted:

So how are they going to have Captain (not Admiral) Janeway as a regular in Prodigy, based on the premise? The ship's Mark 2 ECH?

I feel like Prodigy might be a kinda Space Cases type thing (there's a 90's throwback).

In this case, Janeway may play a bit of a Commander Goddard role. The kids run the ship, but Janeway may be the nominal adult in the room who tries to guide them back home/whatever?

Who knows. I just wanted to talk about Space Cases, that show was rad when I was 10.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Crusader posted:

love 2 have collector plates of my former xo

loving lmao

I saw the plate on my first viewing, but I just figured it was because Ransom recommended him to Riker. That's a deep cut on par with the Spock helmet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gonz posted:

“Yeah Steve, I remember. You said that Wolf 359 was an inside job.”

“Changelings aren’t real! The Dominion War never happened!”

This guy was great, Pakleds becoming the Borg was great, everything was great except Shaxs. :argh:

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

All the kids are potential Cadets and being stuck with Janeway is just an extended stress test, like when Wesley had to leave that man to die. Except you're stuck with it for months and it keeps getting worse and worse as there is no coffee aboard and Janeway is getting ANGY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

This guy was great, Pakleds becoming the Borg was great, everything was great except Shaxs. :argh:

It just shows you what happens to a Commander Worf type who is let off the leash.