Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/AdamZHerman/status/1314288514012504066

MichaelScottNoooo.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Toronto is technically looking for goaltending, but who knows what is actually happening with that. Andersen was too inconsistent last year, and while I think he could rebound, he's also a pending UFA after the season and the Leafs cannot give him a raise.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I would add Buffalo and maybe Arizona since they seem set on dealing Raanta or Kuemper

I think Buffalo would be okay with Ullmark/Hutton, but they could definitely improve on Hutton.

Arizona should probably be under "Who loving Knows" because, well, who loving knows what's going on with that team right now.

Twin Cinema posted:

Toronto is technically looking for goaltending, but who knows what is actually happening with that. Andersen was too inconsistent last year, and while I think he could rebound, he's also a pending UFA after the season and the Leafs cannot give him a raise.

Andersen's not going anywhere for now and I think Campbell is a decent enough backup but you're right, they're going to have to do something for 2021-2022

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

grack posted:

Teams actually looking for goaltending (as far as I can tell):

Maybe:
Florida - Bobrovsky was bad last year and Driedger is unproven, though the latter had good numbers in a very small sample size.
St. Louis - Binnington got badly exposed during the playoffs and Husso is totally untested.
Anaheim - Gibson is their guy, but should look for a good backup given that Miller is 40. Miller had a good season last year, but you can't really keep kicking that can down the road.

Who loving knows:
Boston - Is Rask's heart really in to playing? He's got a young family and the world's currently on fire. Hockey may be the last thing he cares about right now.
Colorado - Rumblings that they're looking for a goaltender even though Grubauer and Francouz have been good.

Leafs are somewhere between maybe and who knows. They aren’t looking at adding another goalie, but they might be looking at hopping on the carousel and swapping Freddie for someone if someone they like is available at the right price.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

grack posted:

Andersen's not going anywhere for now and I think Campbell is a decent enough backup but you're right, they're going to have to do something for 2021-2022

Yeah, I think it's probable that the Leafs are keeping Andersen, but it may be useful to at least explore options this offseason when you don't need to do something, rather than next, when you absolutely have to.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1314290772594896897

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1314290842362929153

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I don't know if Williams will go to the hall but I could 100% see the Canes honoring or retiring his number. Hell of a career.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Florida dropped Pu

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Columbus Pu Jackets

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What is a Cliff Pu?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

What is a Cliff Pu?

A big relief of cap space

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Martin by himself is like "eh fine" but if they give him some stupid contract while tight on the cap anyways it's liek what the hell

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

DJExile posted:

I don't know if Williams will go to the hall but I could 100% see the Canes honoring or retiring his number. Hell of a career.

I can't see him making the Hall, but I can see the Canes retiring his number and the Kings maybe honouring it.

He had some amazing playoff runs, but I feel like Briere is similar, and I think Briere has a better chance. Not that I think he makes it, either.

Still, like you said, hell of a career.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

So the Jackets must be really serious about this Taylor Hall thing...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yeah, something's definitely brewing.

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1314296376214384640

Now let the Jarmo Special...shine a light on meeeee...

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
imagine thinking theres actually going to be a 2021 season starting in january

just lol

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don't know, it's pretty rare for a 2016 OHL Third Team All-Star to be available on the trade market

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
This just in, to honor Justin Williams retirement the league will no longer play any more game sevens.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1314300640802353152

I'm guessing Marleau re-signs with the Sharks, plays one more season to pass Gordie Howe's GP record then retires.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

CAS favorite Erik Gudbranson is on the move again!
https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1314302544320102402

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Significant overpayment for Gudbranson.

To be fair, a bent paperclip would be a significant overpayment for Gudbranson.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Gudbranson has a cap hit of $4 million with actual salary of $3 million so it is pretty much the most Ottawa thing possible. Matt Murray has to be really excited to be reunited with him.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jackets extend another goalie with an impossible to spell name straight out of Star Wars:

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1314302220930818059

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

fits posted:

imagine thinking theres actually going to be a 2021 season starting in january :lol:

I'm thinking it's really going to be the Leafs' year because that would piss the most people off!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Misanthrope posted:

I know I give you grief for cheering for a terrible franchise, but I really appreciate the constant Twitter updates on pretty much everything NHL related Kilza.

SAS threads are essentially my noteworthy NHL news feed.

:yeah:

Seriously this thread is way better than hockey twitter, thanks for sorting through all of it

Also Justin Williams owns and I'm sorry he was only on the Caps for a short period but what a fuckin' ride. Will always love that dude

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

Matt Martin by himself is like "eh fine" but if they give him some stupid contract while tight on the cap anyways it's liek what the hell

I’m good. Even on a cheap contract why the gently caress does a hockey team need Martin in the year 2021?? He won’t crack 10 points. The Rangers have Trouba, Lindgren, Smith and Lemiuex if you need someone to throw a punch. Would be an absolute waste of a roster spot.

Did they not learn their lesson from Haley’s great NYR stint of 22 games with 1 solitary point and multiple stupid penalties? I know the answer but still.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

fits posted:

imagine thinking theres actually going to be a 2021 season starting in january

just lol

I remember seeing many of these posts before the start of the NHL playoffs too.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Koth posted:

I remember seeing many of these posts before the start of the NHL playoffs too.

Yeah at this point i have absolutely no doubt there will be a season. The financial impact if they cant have fans the whole season is going to be calamitous though

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Reminder that Jim Rutherford has won three cups in this league and also managed to have Jack Johnson and Erik Gubdbranson on the same team at the same time and he personally acquired both of them.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

WeaponX posted:

I’m good. Even on a cheap contract why the gently caress does a hockey team need Martin in the year 2021?? He won’t crack 10 points. The Rangers have Trouba, Lindgren, Smith and Lemiuex if you need someone to throw a punch. Would be an absolute waste of a roster spot.

Excuse me but I think you'll find that Matt Martin had 5 playoff goals this season and consider also the success of Matt Murray, another Matt <firstname> with a distinguished playoff career. But if it makes you feel better, some other rando on twitter says it's nonsense:

https://twitter.com/4EverBlueshirts/status/1314298716971507732

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

WeaponX posted:

Did they not learn their lesson from Haley’s great NYR stint of 22 games with 1 solitary point and multiple stupid penalties? I know the answer but still.

Derek Boogaard was in the same boat but hot drat was his one point loving awesome.

https://youtu.be/R5Qu4HSiofs

E: I still remember laughing like an idiot for 5 minutes straight when that happened.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Fun quotes about Markus "Nutsack" Nutivaara:

https://twitter.com/BrianHedger/status/1314316900625715200

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1314339838661996551

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Stupid

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

what the gently caress

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
yikes

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
why not 8

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

lmao

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

That sure is a loving decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
That sure is a contract. Wow.