Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah that was my thought as well, they were pushing them at my B&M but the whole premise feels sketchy.

Also, happy birthday to NFM and Kenning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
If a B+M is ever pushing something as a shop I immediately think “huge profit margin item ahoy”.

Unrelated: I picked up a 5er of the partagas maduro no3 and I couldn’t be more excited about a cigar.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Wow folks, cigarbid is awesome. So awesome, my first tupperdor is at absolute max capacity and i cant fit all my sticks inside it now. Have 6 that are in a plastic ziplock bag right now.

I did not foresee this coming.

Get a cooler. Do it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My little birthday in miniature!

Last I heard, Hakushu 12 year was out of production, but it can still be found. Albeit at double the price I got this at a few years ago. I save it for special occasions, and this year has quite a few!

Got a punch in the 2017 Hors D'Age, dry puffs are looking good.

My new pipe, the Ropp Vintage, is darling. I can't wait to throw a bowl in there, I think I'm going to try Three Nuns first. That Plum Pudding Reserve looks fantastic, though. Can't wait to get a good char on him!

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Here is my review of the Saison by Oliva torpedo:

It's disgusting. Tastes like old sour vegetables. Tossed it after the first ash.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Nightcap is great - probably the strongest pipe tobacco in terms of nicotine content, though. Eagerly awaiting your thoughts on Three Nuns though!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I LOVE Nightcap, this is my second tin.

The strong fig on Three Nuns when I first opened it is amazing. I love natural tobacco, hence my cigar love, and I'm going to be trying out some cigar tobacco blends on next week's order.

Update on the 2017 Hors D'Age Toro Gordo: still hands down my favorite cigar of all time. The La Aurora 115 is not too far off if you want to try something in the same vein in regular production.

E:

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 3, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked an Inferno Flashpoint and it was fine, nothing too exciting, but the construction was perfect. Easily the best constructed cigar I’ve had in a while, no relights, perfect burn, good draw, tons of smoke.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've been smoking my pipe a lot more lately, trying to break in my DARLING Ropp #420 (nice). It's really made me appreciate the cigars I do smoke a lot more. Three Nuns has been fantastic - a bit powerful for the noseburner that is the Ropp, but I'm going to drop it in my estate Pipa Croci and I think it'll be a lot nicer. Loving the Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding Reserve, too. My fiance's Nording Compass has been more or less nonstop filled with it this week. It's WILD learning how bowls and shape affect flavor. This is a crazy dimension that I seriously underestimated.

Having the last of my Centurion H-2K-CT, and god drat do I love this thing. It's so weird, wehaty, and sweet, almost like the cream of wheat I used to have as a kid. With a load of sugar dumped in, ofc.

My fiance's mom also surprised us by helping out with a down payment for a house so I'm officially on the hunt! We've found some cutie places that I hope we can close on soon!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If y'all are interested in pipes, I highly recommend finding an estate pipe to start with. The difference between my well seasoned Pipa Croci and brand new Ropp is pretty astounding. Looking forward to getting some good cake in there!

Getting the tobacco in jars for a few days is also really helpful. Previously, I had been popping a small Boveda pack in the tin, but this is the way to go. Loving the way these two activities complement each other :kimchi:

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Anyone have a favorite punch? I've got a couple combo lighter/punches but looking for a dedicated unit

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

NewFatMike posted:

If y'all are interested in pipes, I highly recommend finding an estate pipe to start with. The difference between my well seasoned Pipa Croci and brand new Ropp is pretty astounding. Looking forward to getting some good cake in there!

Getting the tobacco in jars for a few days is also really helpful. Previously, I had been popping a small Boveda pack in the tin, but this is the way to go. Loving the way these two activities complement each other :kimchi:

Yeah I think this is the way to go. If I order tobacco online, it'll come in sealed plastic bags and it's way too moist at first - the stuff requires constant relights. But putting them in jars lets it dry out without getting too dry.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Just so I don’t forget to include these in my personal cigar log (that I desperately need to update) I smoked a MoW Ruination 10th anniversary and a Alec Bradley Prensado Lost Art, both were good. I don’t recall exact specifics but probably not something I would actively seek out again any time soon but both were solid cigars.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

If y'all are interested in pipes, I highly recommend finding an estate pipe to start with.

As well as at least 1 corncob (~$10) and 1 Dr. Grabow. (~$20)

Favorite cob: https://corncobpipe.com/product/missouri-pride-corn-cob-pipe/

Cool Grabow: https://www.drgrabow.net/project/golden-duke-textured-pipe/

Take the filters out of both.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

AnimalChin posted:

As well as at least 1 corncob (~$10) and 1 Dr. Grabow. (~$20)

Favorite cob: https://corncobpipe.com/product/missouri-pride-corn-cob-pipe/

Cool Grabow: https://www.drgrabow.net/project/golden-duke-textured-pipe/

Take the filters out of both.

Man I'm tempted but I already spend enough money on tobacco and tobacco accessories as it is.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Alright, I've been MIA for a few days and I've had a lot of cigar things happen so I'm gonna do a big post.

First off, the DPG Blue Exclusivo birthday Discord video party was very fun. It smoked for around 2 hours, which is exactly what I had planned on, although I re-upped with a small Verocu to keep the party going a bit longer. It was a really nice cigar, with a lot of leather and waves of warm spices. I had a rough patch right at the end of the first third where I was struggling with combustion, but then it got going again and smoked just fine for the rest of the night. I'm looking forward to trying that blend in a smaller size, but wouldn't turn down another monster like that just for fun.

The next day my buddies came by for a small in-person thing on my deck, and presented me with my birthday present:

Holy poo poo, this quite the cigar. Extremely velvety and instantly relaxing, it smoked beautifully for around an hour and a half. Big peppery spice to start, then it mellowed into a dark toffee and leather, with frequent hints of flavors that ranged from dark chocolate to marshmallow to orange zest, with occasional reappearances of the pepper and also other touches that I could barely identify. Looking forward to having a few more of these to crack open at a special occasion some time in the next year or two.

Secondly, got a big CA order in today.

That's the EP Carrillo New Wave Stella, the La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire corona, Flor de las Antillas belicoso, and My Father La Promesa lancero. I'm obviously incredibly stoked for the La Promesa, but tonight I smoked one of the Sapphires and holy poo poo that is a fantastic cigar. NewFatMike strikes again with that one and it was spot on. The wrapper is so delicate, and the burn and draw were both totally flawless. Right on spark up it was like honeysuckle and fresh meadow grass, and it continued with that bright, delicate sweetness throughout, developing just a touch of cinnamon in the last third. Really exciting, definitely the best Connecticut I've had so far.

Anyway, that's what I've been up to lately. Also had an excellent FdlA maduro yesterday. Onto thread business!

Maksimus54 posted:

Anyone have a favorite punch? I've got a couple combo lighter/punches but looking for a dedicated unit

I have this 7 mm Xicar punch that I find works quite well. It's my go-to cut for any non-torpedo cigar these days.

Lyon posted:

Just so I don’t forget to include these in my personal cigar log (that I desperately need to update) I smoked a MoW Ruination 10th anniversary and a Alec Bradley Prensado Lost Art, both were good. I don’t recall exact specifics but probably not something I would actively seek out again any time soon but both were solid cigars.

I really enjoyed the MoW Ruination 10th anniversary. It was like a chocolate-covered biscuit in the best possible way.

NewFatMike posted:

I LOVE Nightcap, this is my second tin.

The strong fig on Three Nuns when I first opened it is amazing. I love natural tobacco, hence my cigar love, and I'm going to be trying out some cigar tobacco blends on next week's order.

Update on the 2017 Hors D'Age Toro Gordo: still hands down my favorite cigar of all time. The La Aurora 115 is not too far off if you want to try something in the same vein in regular production.

E:

NewFatMike posted:

My fiance's mom also surprised us by helping out with a down payment for a house so I'm officially on the hunt! We've found some cutie places that I hope we can close on soon!

Hey, congratulations! Now no nosy condo association can yell at you for insulating your deck! Also, that's a loving nub. Glad your birthday smoke went well as well!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Hi pipe and cigar thread! You may remember me from such things as being a pipe smoking goon for nearly two decades! Anyway I just smoked some Old Gowrie that I stuck in a mason jar 10 years ago and it was remarkable! Mellow, creamy, sweet, and complex. That is all!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Welcome to the revived thread Wiggles! It's been fun seeing some of the old regulars trickle back in.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Very glad to point you towards those Sapphires! I'm exquisitely jealous of those lanceros!

I'm convalescing from a quick little outpatient yesterday. My fiance is taking the best care of me, so tragically for wallets the world over, the thread devil is in good hands.

I had some Plum Pudding Reserve this morning, and my Ropp is finally getting into good shape. That tobacco is great, and I'm excited to pick up some more tobaccos this week.

Having a La Aurora Preferidos Ruby right now. That Brazilian maduro wrapper is pretty impressive.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Not gonna lie, the gems and precious metals branding on the Preferidos really makes me want to try the whole offering, especially after how exquisite the Sapphires were. Also, that pipe tobacco all sounds really nice. Maybe someday!

Had a Flor de las Antillas belicoso today. Obviously very similar to the toro, but I feel like it was a bit more perfumey than the last toro I smoked, which is definitely a welcome addition. The blunt torpedo end was fine, but definitely benefited from the PerfecDraw a couple times as it got wet. Otherwise was just nice to have a good supply of an old classic again.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Abe Herbaugh makes some very cool pipes:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Abe-Herbaugh/

can someone lend me $800?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Smoked an AJF Relic today, was pretty tasty. I use this name for some video games I play but my alter ego is Gryffin so I think part of my appreciation was the logo.

Edit: Smoked a 601 Red Label which was pretty great in a well balanced subtle sort of way. A lot of floral or tea flavors maybe along with the tobacco.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 9, 2020

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Finally got a chance to crack one of these
Goddamn it’s a good smoke. Like a sweeter 898/RASS amalgamation

https://i.imgur.com/hdgi9A1
https://imgur.com/a/bu57Xmh

Worth 20/stick? Yes.
I do think they need a little more time to even out but I am a fan so far.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Extreme jealousy! That looks phenomenal.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I smoked a CAO Flathead V660 today and I think a 60 ring is just too damned big.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

NewFatMike posted:

Extreme jealousy! That looks phenomenal.

Incredibly good for a smoke under a year old. I’d like to try the robusto size to see if it holds up as the first 1/3 was only ok compared to the rest.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Smoked a La Promesa lancero yesterday. Extremely perfumey, redolent of sandalwood, lavender, and potpourri. Quite a fun smoke, I'd love to have these around on the regular.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I smoked a CAO Flathead V660 today and I think a 60 ring is just too damned big.

It's a tasty cigar, but I definitely agree that 660 is loving massive for how intense it is.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy

Seventh Arrow posted:

]
can someone lend me $800?
Mmm... dat smooth apple with Musk Ox Horn

Ophidian posted:

Finally got a chance to crack one of these
Goddamn it’s a good smoke. Like a sweeter 898/RASS amalgamation

https://i.imgur.com/hdgi9A1
https://imgur.com/a/bu57Xmh

Worth 20/stick? Yes.
I do think they need a little more time to even out but I am a fan so far.

Imgur put an 18+ erotic image warning on the second picture. They aren't wrong.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Kenning posted:

It's a tasty cigar, but I definitely agree that 660 is loving massive for how intense it is.

Yeah, it may take me a year or so to go through the other 19 I got.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hayden posted:

Imgur put an 18+ erotic image warning on the second picture. They aren't wrong.

Lol yeah that was definitely appropriate.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Yeah, it may take me a year or so to go through the other 19 I got.

I recommend a full stomach, some milky tea with sugar, and a willingness to call it at halfway if you've had your fill. I wonder if the 642 or the 450 is a more manageable format, because again I really like the flavor.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I managed to hop on a Fox deal for 4 Opus X and a Destino al Siglo de Pasion for $70 yesterday, pretty hyped about that as I've not had luck finding an Opus for under 25 per in the past.

Yall ever have a cigar that just doesn't do it for oyu flavor wise but is just so well built you enjoy it anyways? Had a Dias de Gloria by AJF the other day, and man, the flavors were not really up my alley, but holy poo poo, the ash was perfect, the burn line was perfect, it never got lopsided or needed a touchup all the way down.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That was Hamlet stuff for me for a long time, but the Nudies, 25th Anniversary, and Tabaquero blends really hit so right over the last year that Hamlet is one of my favored marcas.

We're picking out rings today! I've been eyeing this Cohiba Siglo II I bought in 2009 for my wedding and it's coming up around the corner. Very exciting stuff. We're house hunting, too, because life is going bananas.

This is the first week we haven't bought tobacco in this house probably since before the pandemic started, and pipes smoking is pretty cheap, at least for a daily habit, compared to cigars. Yay money, I guess 🙃

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
Smoking an EP Carrillo Seleccion Oscuro right now trying to enjoy the end of “chilling in the driveway” season. It’s got a peppery taste that I’m digging, and provides a solid flavor profile.

I dig it.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Smoking an EP Carrillo Seleccion Oscuro right now trying to enjoy the end of “chilling in the driveway” season. It’s got a peppery taste that I’m digging, and provides a solid flavor profile.

I dig it.

Yeah I thought this was quite tasty as well.

I smoked an Ave Maria Argentum today and it had a similar vibe if my memory of the EPC is good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Famous Smoke has a Columbus Day sale on if people are looking for something. I tried to buy a box of Padron 2000s, but the coupon didn't apply due to manufacturer restrictions, which is probably for the best. Gotta say, I'm jonesing for a box of Padrons, but I think if I can't get the Famous Smoke discount I'll look for it in a lancero or lonsdale from another site.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

Famous Smoke has a Columbus Day sale on if people are looking for something. I tried to buy a box of Padron 2000s, but the coupon didn't apply due to manufacturer restrictions, which is probably for the best. Gotta say, I'm jonesing for a box of Padrons, but I think if I can't get the Famous Smoke discount I'll look for it in a lancero or lonsdale from another site.

Do I have some news for you. Use the promo code CATS, it's a better discount at 17% and only requires a $50 minimum. What's nice about this is that once you get the $50 minimum it applies the discount to the whole order even if some items don't qualify towards the $50 minimum. Find $50 of qualifying cigars that you also wanted to try and you're good to go.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 12, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Goddamnit you might be taking the title of Thread Devil away from NFM at this point.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Has anyone ordered from stogiedepot.com before? They have some sticks I’ve been looking all over for and can’t find anywhere else. The prices seem legit (ie. not too good to be true) so I’m hopeful, but just wanted to see if someone has had experience with them.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kenning posted:

Goddamnit you might be taking the title of Thread Devil away from NFM at this point.

Once The Expensive Times are over, I'll be back! YOU'LL BE SORRY!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Smoked a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 robusto second tonight. It's the Sumatra from the Vintage series, and it's a totally okay cigar. Smokes fine, nothing wrong with it, but the consensus was tonight that it's a cigar for either giving to a newbie, or for smoking at the end of the night when you're a little drunk and your palate is shot and you just wanna have a smoke. Tastes good enough, but not a top choice. Probably a fine thing to have around for that specific use case though.

NewFatMike posted:

Once The Expensive Times are over, I'll be back! YOU'LL BE SORRY!!

You're a monster. Also thank you.

Lyon posted:

Do I have some news for you. Use the promo code CATS, it's a better discount at 17% and only requires a $50 minimum. What's nice about this is that once you get the $50 minimum it applies the discount to the whole order even if some items don't qualify towards the $50 minimum. Find $50 of qualifying cigars that you also wanted to try and you're good to go.

So I conferred with my buddies, who on Saturday were like, "We probably should smoke down the cigars we currently have," and I explained this scheme and they loved it, so uh, we're getting some Padrons in now. This is fine.