Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

lol if you think anyone is reading a three post meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Dr. Luke stans...

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Solomon Gumball posted:

She doesn't have to solely work with Luke and he's not her boss. Kobalt is her 'boss' if anything in the sense she chose to be an indie pop artist and sign with AWAL. She's worked with Cheat Codes and Kygo, she's not beholden or prisoner to Luke in any way.

The Kygo song actually included a credit for Luke.

None of us know the exact details of her contracts with him, so we don't know if she could choose to leave him if she wanted to. Kesha couldn't.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 8, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What would make anyone think this is the right place to post rants against cancel culture

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The gently caress is wrong with you, yes Men also get abused and this should be less of a shameful subject, but the odds of a lady being abused are sadly higher.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Where are the mods? Or is going on a giant screed about how it's fine to hang out with known rapists (and continuing to say we don't know, it's his word vs her, etc which is an insanely cowardly way to defend the fucker) not against any rules?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
but if the guy gets probed the hilarious posts stop!!!

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
I'll see myself out, I posted facts. He isn't a known rapist either, the court will decide that, her injunction was already denied after first stating she wasn't raped. Her lawyers then claimed he raped Perry and she had to come out and say that never happened. She also talked trashed to Lady Gaga regarding Luke which the court also went against her. Her case continued to fall apart legally in court. I'm not stanning Dr. Luke. I'm against cancel culture with no evidence and calling someone guilty when they have yet to go through the justice system and deemed as such. It is relevant because Dr. Luke is actively being cancelled for non-verified claims while others get off scot-free and continue to churn out hits and make money.

It's far from a meltdown and I posted most of my stuff in the first post after editing it from my phone. The 2nd post makes a point she's on a "label" - Kobalt's Artists Without a Label (AWAL) that works completely differently than most pop artists that only really Allie X also works on. The third I posted the Wikipedia which gives facts on the case. I realize three posts in a row is too many but I hosed up on my phone. Sorry if the facts on Petras, Luke, Kesha, Perry, etc. don't equate to what you want to hear.

I think it's fairly accurate to say the charts are filled with abusers and bad people. You probably stan someone problematic in some way, that's how ridiculous it has gotten. I made my points that Petras is not a huge star at all and her chart positions. Even people that listen to music and claim they like pop have never heard of a lot of these artists. The pop and "alt-pop" landscape is incredibly vast. In real life, these people are not as big as they are in their bubbles on social media and streaming platforms on an algorithm catered to your listening habits. They don't chart, no radio airplay, they play small venues, and they open or are only features for bigger artists. I gave my facts. Music is a business, especially pop. Kim is on AWAL to avoid many of the pratfalls of the business and to own her masters and have more creative control. Her manager is Larry Rudolph, Kesha's manager was Dr. Luke. Petras is not in the situation that Kesha is in at all, it is of her free agency to work with Dr. Luke. Rudolph has flat out said Petras has complete creative control.

There were effort in those posts but you don't want to hear objectively printed truths and just think I defend Dr. Luke. I'm also against false claims of rape against men and male abuse (which let's be honest, due to to toxic masculinity, the number of female-on-male abuse is probably higher. I'm not saying it's equal by any means, I just mean the number is probably under-represented as, anecdotally, myself and many male friends have let our (ex-)girlfriends abuse us without recourse in fear we'd be taken away in cuffs; we're split 51/49 gendered, the odds are abuse is happening heavily on both sides and men are more likely to suck it up or afraid to call the police thinking they'll be taken away since male-on-female abuse is more openly talked about; fortunately the overton window where speaking on female-on-male abuse is starting to shift and become acceptable).

There was no intelligent reply to my straight-up facts verifiable elsewhere. No wonder popheads get a bad wrap, no actual posts of substance aside the one that Luke was credited on the Kygo song (I didn't know that, thank you for letting me know), the rest did not acknowledge any of my legitimate points that had cold hard facts and links.

I wish those posts were not written off just because they were verbose as they contained no trolling and information pertinent to the discussion despite my opinion not being the favorable one, it still holds merit to me according to the current facts presented. In no way was I attempting to troll or defend Dr. Luke if he is found guilty. My posts weren't even read by the people calling it a meltdown for some reason, as if I care that much about her, Kesha, Luke, or anyone and felt like they were trolled upon which does break the rules set in the OP. Sorry long form discourse is not the appropriate manner to post in this thread. :sadwave:

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 9, 2020

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Where are the mods? Or is going on a giant screed about how it's fine to hang out with known rapists (and continuing to say we don't know, it's his word vs her, etc which is an insanely cowardly way to defend the fucker) not against any rules?

This response is actually cowardly.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I don't think it's cowardly to not want to entertain bad takes on sexual assault.

E: Nevermind, I don't think it will be useful.

foutre fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 9, 2020

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lord Krangdar posted:

This response is actually cowardly.

How about you gently caress off?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

How about we just accept that some people are fine buying Kim Petras' music, and some people are not. The validity of Kesha's claims is not for us to debate, and afaik the case is still ongoing, so whoever wishes to continue to support the victim at this time can drat well make that choice if they please.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jesus Christ this is a shitshow. I never check in on the pop thread because it's not a genre I listen to myself (please use the report button or PM me if some nonsense is occurring), but good gravy don't post multiple screeds over several days playing devil's advocate for accused monsters. If you simply must have a discussion about the credibility of rape accusations and the likelihood of female-on-male abuse going unreported there are certainly better places to do it than here.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So this is what the MRA sections on reddit turn people into

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

esperterra posted:

How about we just accept that some people are fine buying Kim Petras' music, and some people are not. The validity of Kesha's claims is not for us to debate, and afaik the case is still ongoing, so whoever wishes to continue to support the victim at this time can drat well make that choice if they please.

Yeah I think there’s a conversation to be had about people’s individual reasons for continuing to listen to or not continuing to listen to artists who have done bad things. Literally one of the 5 or so most popular artists in the world from the past 50 years almost certainly had some sort of illicit contact with children, but for a lot of people, it’s hard to stop listening to Billie Jean or Thriller or whatever because of a variety of reasons, many of which are personal and related to the core feelings we get when we listen to music, and especially pop music, which is designed to get people to love it.

But jumping in to defend them by saying “well maybe they didn’t, huh?” is a poo poo look. If you want to listen to Ignition (Remix) or I Believe I Can Fly, you can talk about why that is but if you’d like to educate us on why being held as a sex-hostage is really a mutual decision you can go on Twitter and scream that into the void and leave us the gently caress alone. Same with Dr Luke. Just because what he did isn’t in the same level doesn’t mean it’s any less serious. I’ll admit that Say So and Malibu are probably two of the 20 or so most listened to songs from 2020 in my music library, but I do so with the understanding that the guy is a piece of poo poo and I try my best to limit how much money my listens earn him. Everyone has their own limits.

Edit: also no one should regard the justice system as the end-all be-all of who is and isn’t an abuser. R Kelly is a perfect example of that. In many, many cases the deck is stacked against women who are abused and assaulted, and it’s very likely that the only reason that Kesha’s case has gotten as far as it has is because of her fame. There are many women out there who are victims of abuse by the hands of men who will never see the inside of a courtroom and it’s not a failing on their part or evidence that they’re lying that they don’t get justice.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 9, 2020

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
You guys do realize that you are all posting on a verified abuser's website and paid him?

Anybody can allege anybody of anything, I can claim you all those lovely replies as trolling and abusive and there's some truth of that look at the rap sheets of a lot of the posters here, just a couple posts above the person has been probed being called toxic and is for pedophilia.

The legal system I have a lot more faith on than any forum or court of opinion from the lowest rated genre based thread on the subforum.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Solomon Gumball posted:

You guys do realize that you are all posting on a verified abuser's website and paid him?

Anybody can allege anybody of anything, I can claim you all those lovely replies as trolling and abusive and there's some truth of that look at the rap sheets of a lot of the posters here, just a couple posts above the person has been probed being called toxic and is for pedophilia.

The legal system I have a lot more faith on than any forum or court of opinion from the lowest rated genre based thread on the subforum.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the amount of times I've heard that new BTS song is insane, I feel like it's totally pervasive even if I don't listen to the radio. It's in commercials, it's playing wherever, it's just everywhere

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1316433835178037255?s=20

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcYodQoapMg

New album Friday.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

RevKrule posted:

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcYodQoapMg

New album Friday.

it's fine

I love Ari but this isn't one of her better singles, I'm hoping the album is more interesting. I liked both of the last two even though they were seemingly made in polar opposite ways (a happy album about love with a very traditional rollout vs. an album immediately after a break-up that was sort of sprung on everyone), and this one seems to be hewing much closer to the thank u next method than Sweetener.

meanwhile, in Miley World...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l81u-oSIAp4

She's really riding these covers to promote her new album and I'm 1000% percent OK with it because I'd listen to Miley sing the phone book

edit: Zombie may be even better than Heart of Glass, Miley is gonna kill that Metallica project she's working on

edit2: I posted this in a discord earlier but it's insane that despite all she's made and how long she's been around the music industry, Miley is still younger than Debbie Harry was when Blondie was formed. The way her voice has developed over the last few years she could easily have 3 more entire careers, one of which will be the inevitable country crossover she will make someday because she is still country to the bone

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 27, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Debbie Harry was also several years older than her contemporaries

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The new Dorian Electra goes hard but the bro-step sound is not one that needs to come back, even ironically. Maybe I'm just old.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9MhEMYapac

she starts a little rough but by the bridge she's killing it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Kim Petras Halloween album coming out next year

First single from it

https://youtu.be/I4QuH_2hPps

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://youtu.be/HdXWvzEfh1A

Merry Carly Rae-smas! I hope you have a holiday season with no rear end in a top hat uncles, annoying nieces and nephews, and especially no grandpas high on “holiday cheer”

edit: also an instant reaction to the new Ari: it’s a little... relaxed? Maybe just more chill than I expected and not particularly exciting. The audio equivalent of 69ing an LA real estate agent for sure

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 30, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
new ari is so goddamn boring. it’s so chilled out it sends me to sleep

not a big fan of this carly either :(

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

New ari is super chill which depending on your mood can be fine. Should've been call "horny on main" tho, god drat.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Positions is growing on me rapidly, I am enjoying it a lot more than TUN by quite a bit. Personally I welcome this new post-WAP golden era of dirty talkin idols.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1323011392199417856?s=19

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Anyone listened to the new Kylie album? It's good but I think the name is writing musical checks it doesn't cash.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Badger of Basra posted:

Anyone listened to the new Kylie album? It's good but I think the name is writing musical checks it doesn't cash.

w8 there's a new Kylie?? I know what I'm listening to tomorrow.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzZn31gd_Jc

18 tracks!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

it's fine but it's definitely not as good as Jessie Ware's album from earlier this year which does the disco throwback without going too radio pop thing perfectly

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs61OHs2g-w
Dua Lipa has a new track with French singer Angèle. It's been retroactively added to her latest album on Spotify.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

New Ava Max, I'm loving the Around The World sample.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdmJnThcBoE

Also, Aly and AJs next single is due on December 2nd, and will be the lead single for the upcoming album.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Instant reaction to Plastic Hearts: album starts a little slow. I think someone compared Angels Like You to a grown up Hannah Montana song and that goes for the first three tracks IMO, once Prisoner kicks in it starts to get way better, with the exception of Midnight Sky (which still kicks all kinds of rear end), the best tracks are all her collabs, Bad Karma sounds just like a Joan Jett song and if you told me Night Crawling was actually a lost Billy Idol demo I would believe you. They perfectly capture the retro rock vibe she was going for with this album.

The lyrics are very frank and funny without being jokey. I very much like the album’s sense of humor, but she also goes into some dark places, talking about feeling like she doesn’t want to go on living on a couple different songs. You can feel the passion and work put into it, and Miley sounds great too, she’s really wielding her voice like the finely tuned weapon it is.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Deformed Church posted:

Also, Aly and AJs next single is due on December 2nd, and will be the lead single for the upcoming album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poaP-o8klRM

It's not as synthy or poppy as their other stuff but it's still really good!

If you do like their other stuff, they've also compiled their couple of recent EPs and a miscellaneous singles into a full album, We Don't Stop. Nothing new but it's a lot of really fantastic tracks all in one place.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 2, 2020

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress yes

https://twitter.com/taylorswift13/status/1334144808693223425?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I haven't endlessly repeated a clip of a song in a commercial since that first reveal of Get Lucky in 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bkXlzTJtis

Get Lucky and Love Story, both excellent songs

edit: I think I'm most excited to see her revisit songs from her best album, Speak Now. I want to see her re-record Mean and Enchanted and Mine and Long Live and the title track and honestly, get Better Than Revenge on there but rewrite the lyrics to not be so slut-shamey and oh god that album is so good

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 2, 2020