Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Uhh... fire Bergevin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

fire bergevin jesus christ

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm not sure that Josh Anderson is worth 1.05 David Clarksons yet.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

That sure is dumb and a nice gently caress you to Max Domi

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

lmao

lot of money for a guy who scored 4 points

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
With Williams retirement, I just want to re-ask the question I've been asking for a few years now:

why did Dean Lombardi trade a 1st round pick (15th overall) for 1 year of Lucic when he could have just re-signed Williams? Both were 20-30-50 guys at the time.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

$5.5 over 7 years is a little lower than I am looking for... oh wait... per year?

Y-yeah... I think that will be acceptable.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I'm a casual hockey fan and have only followed the league closely for a few years but maybe you should fire Bergeron?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
logging in to say lol at that Anderson deal, holy poo poo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Holy gently caress.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I came here to post some hockey trivia and I'm greeted by the news of a contract that will some day be held in the same regard as Andrew Ladd's deal with the Islanders, Okposo with the Sabres, Lucic with the Oilers... Lucic with the Flames will probably be the most accurate estimation of the fans' denial involved with this deal.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

7 years....Hello future buyout!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I dunno, this feels like one of those Bergevin moves that we all make fun of but works out totally fine.

At least I hope so.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
CSN is reporting that Chicago won't resign Crawford and between letting him, subban and Lehner go I'm unsure they even have a goalie left. I know the mantra is "gently caress defense, score goals" but aren't you supposed to see least dress a goalie?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I dunno, this feels like one of those Bergevin moves that we all make fun of but works out totally fine.

At least I hope so.

This is basically Justin Abdelkader, down to the initials and number of points last season.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Holy poo poo Bergevin.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

HMS Beagle posted:

I'm a casual hockey fan and have only followed the league closely for a few years but maybe you should fire Bergeron?

I am definitely on board with the Bruins firing Bergeron into the sun.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Well at least Bergevin doesn't seem to be suffering from the same paralyzing cap uncertainty that other GMs are.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
That Anderson contract makes no sense

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

HootTheOwl posted:

CSN is reporting that Chicago won't resign Crawford and between letting him, subban and Lehner go I'm unsure they even have a goalie left. I know the mantra is "gently caress defense, score goals" but aren't you supposed to see least dress a goalie?

Strap in for the Delia-Lankinen experience. Apparently they may try to bring Subban back as an UFA as well. It's fine if they're ready to tank, which would be more of a plan than the front office has had in recent seasons.

That said, Jay Zawaski later reported they are kicking the tires on some of the UFAs mentioned in this thread. I don't see why they'd bother, since most of the UFAs they can afford won't play as well as Crow, especially in front of that defense.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Well at least Bergevin doesn't seem to be suffering from the same paralyzing cap uncertainty that other GMs are.

that thought is fleeting

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

eXXon posted:

I am definitely on board with the Bruins firing Bergeron into the sun.

I meant America's Funniest Home Videos host Tom Bergeron but this is also acceptable.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Spelling Mitsake posted:

At least I hope so.

I bet it looks good for a few seasons and then poo poo goes down

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought something interesting had maybe happened but it was just a bunch of people overreacting to the habs overpaying some random dude. again.

Good for that the guy though, his kids and grandkids should be pretty much set

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I just......i mean, :wtc:

lmao and all but what in the gently caress is the endgame here

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Circling back to what The Athletic wrote on Anderson (from Sept. 17)

quote:

14. Josh Anderson, Columbus Blue Jackets: Anderson has been on this list before and teams love what he brings to the table. But at this point, an extension in Columbus remains a possibility. One NHL source described contract talks between Anderson and the Blue Jackets as “fruitful” for the restricted free agent. One executive expressed concerns about what a trade for Anderson, who played just 26 games last season, might cost both in assets and in a long-term contract. “If he’s healthy, he’s a beast,” he said. “The problem is, if they want a big asset, you can’t do that. You can’t give a first-rounder for one year of a guy and then try to get him signed before UFA. (Agent Darren Ferris) is going to ask for seven times six and he had one loving goal last year.”

:laugh:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Rangers are going to walk away after an arbiter awards Ryan Strome $5.5m because that's the going rate for a dude who had one good season playing with Panarin.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
okay maybe you all weren't overreacting, did this guy really have four points last year?

what is the modern-day record for points to cap hit ratio in a free agent signing? if this isn't shattering that record color me surprised

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It would be cool if Williams got into the HoF, but it's definitely in the realm of pleasant surprise rather than inevitability.

And also, that fukkin' trade

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Good soup! posted:

I just......i mean, :wtc:

lmao and all but what in the gently caress is the endgame here

Flipping Gallagher for picks and prospects while staying above the cap floor is my guess

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

bewbies posted:

okay maybe you all weren't overreacting, did this guy really have four points last year?

what is the modern-day record for points to cap hit ratio in a free agent signing? if this isn't shattering that record color me surprised

Lundqvist signed an $8.5m 7-year extension during a season in which he scored four points.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

bewbies posted:

Jeff Finger, a defenseman, got $3.5Mx4y after a 19-point season and it was one of the worst contracts signed by a particularly dismal Leafs' management group headed by a then-73-year-old Cliff Fletcher.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
not for a goalie or a defenseman for fucksake, although that contest may be tighter than we all want to admit

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
I have no words

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

WeaponX posted:

7 years....Hello future buyout!

Yeah we'll be here in 2022 saying "Jesus they're paying him for the next ten years"

fisting by many posted:

Circling back to what The Athletic wrote on Anderson (from Sept. 17)

:laugh:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Are Striking > NHL Offseason 2020: he's going to ask for seven times six and he had one loving goal last year

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So do the new CBA rules preventing negotiation before free agency opens mean that we probably won't see a flurry of activity right at noon tomorrow?

Or are those really more of "guidelines" than rules and we'll still see a bunch of pre-arranged deals execute at 12p?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bewbies posted:

26GP 1-3-4

Then he got in an ill-advised fight against Ottawa in a game in which the Jackets also had two other players get hurt and missed the rest of the season.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Closest comps I can find are Stephen Weiss and Ryane Clowe
it's elite contract company

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Flipping Gallagher for picks and prospects while staying above the cap floor is my guess

no way bergevin trades gally that would probably legit get an angry mob to go to his house

my guess is danault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

lmao trading domi and a pick for a guy that's worse and more expensive and older