Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

weekly font posted:

Folx, Tubiween might kill me. What was i thinking? The nice thing is there’s a lot of double feature material. Two DTV features about a real life haunted road in NJ. Multiple creepypasta movies. Stretching my brain to draw comparisons between the two is the only thing keeping it from punching its way out of my skull to try to save itself.

Birdemic 2 was probably the tipping point. At least I have both Reanimator sequels to look forward to.

If any of you have good Tubi deep cuts please share xoxo

HALLOWEEN AT OLD AUNT ETHELS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Basebf555 posted:

It's unfortunate but his best Van Helsing appearance was his first, imo they never topped it because Lee wasn't in the sequel and then it was years before Cushing returned to the role in AD 1972.

Horror of Dracula is where he was still relatively young and physically very able, and he's jumping on tables and taking it to Dracula in a way that he couldn't do later on.

Also his costumes were never better than in Horror of Dracula.

Thanks for this!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The ending of Hammer's Dracula is still amazing with Van Helsing leaping and running giving chase to Dracula . So good.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:spooky: Bracketology results are in! Click through and discover the newly crowned king of horror directors! :spooky:

Shrecknet posted:

The votes are in!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just finished the Masque of the Red Death and it's really striking just how cheesy the costuming is compared to Hammer stuff.

Great flick though.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

weekly font posted:

Folx, Tubiween might kill me. What was i thinking? The nice thing is there’s a lot of double feature material. Two DTV features about a real life haunted road in NJ. Multiple creepypasta movies. Stretching my brain to draw comparisons between the two is the only thing keeping it from punching its way out of my skull to try to save itself.

Birdemic 2 was probably the tipping point. At least I have both Reanimator sequels to look forward to.

The Void and Hell House LLC are on there and I enjoyed them both. A bunch of good 70s horror there too, but I imagine that it's stuff that you've already seen if you're asking the thread for help.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Void is choice.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Void had some wicked great practical fx

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

yeah The Void isn't amazing but I thought it had some cool effects and was worth a watch

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

weekly font posted:

Crypt of the Living Dead
Dagon
Poor Pretty Eddie
Dark Forces
, a.k.a., Harlequin
The Monster Club
Mirror Mirror
Clinger
Invaders from Mars
(1953)
The Last House on Dead End Street
One Dark Night
Chasing Sleep
The Shiver of the Vampires
Dead End Drive-In
Lovely Molly
Parents
Evil Ed
The Dentist

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Void is a nice little movie if you keep your expectations very low. It's a mess and feels a bit like something a college crew threw together in a week and stapled together in editing, but it's got some merit.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah The Void is fine enough. It is 100% a victim of using its entire budget on the goop monsters.

Hell yeah, thanks. I've seen some of these but not all and I need some palate cleansers for after I watch my third straight Slenderman movie. But next up I have Slugs which I think I remember this thread saying was fun.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

weekly font posted:

Yeah The Void is fine enough. It is 100% a victim of using its entire budget on the goop monsters.

Yeah, I was a bit harsh on the film after I first saw it, but thinking over it I realized that all movies should use their entire budget on goop monsters so I can't really be too upset.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For a movie that used it's whole budget on goop monsters The Void at least does have a pretty cool setting, it's not like we're talking about Beyond the Gates or something here where it all takes place in some dude's Ikea furnished living room.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

All The Void really needed was a small rewrite. Everything up to the basement stuff is fine, but then they don't really capitalise on any of the themes or characters, and the whole thing just deflates. Like the nurse character grabs a shotgun, and throughout the whole film she's been a lazy gently caress up, so now is her time to prove herself, right? Then she just uses the shotgun to lazily barricade a door, and that's about it, that's her character done. It would be so easy to just tweak that and have her go down in a blaze of glory, or run screaming into the night, or anything more than the nothing we got.

Great film though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Lumbermouth posted:

Waxwork is loving INSANE.

Thanks for this, it's early but it's in the running to be this year's favorite. That ending song :dance:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so it seems like the answer to my question earlier was

1) there's a major key difference in that the LessWrong people think they should summon Robot Satan to avoid being tortured by him, because they think it'll be mad at everyone who didn't help create it, which is dumb as all hell

2) there's a whole lot of massively overcomplicated bullshit that's been tacked onto the idea and it is way, way dumber than "what if AM from I Have No Mouth, but IRL" in actual practice, and whatever gave me the idea it was that was oversimplifying it and cutting out the actual really dumb parts

it may be a weird derail but i'm kind of glad that happened because now i actually get why people mock that idea so much; it seems like the robot devil is in the details, so to speak

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

weekly font posted:

Master Minds will instantly brighten up your month.

I'm spending most of the month in black and white and have started off with Tubi's selections. Also great: Witchcraft (Chaney, 1963) and The Most Dangerous Game. I've been on a Lugosi binge, and The Devil Bat is the best of those.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

it may be a weird derail but i'm kind of glad that happened because now i actually get why people mock that idea so much; it seems like the robot devil is in the details, so to speak

If Robot Satan did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him. - Deus Ex (2000)

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012

weekly font posted:

Dunno if they still have it, but I caught the Stuart Gordon adaptation of The Pit and the Pendulum on there and it was a pretty good time.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Void feels like a direct adaptation of a Call of Cthulhu or Delta Green game where the players hosed up really badly in the investigation bit and just went in seat of their pants.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

All The Void really needed was a small rewrite.

Great film though.

I think I agree. I felt like they tried to include a little too much extraneous stuff that didn't alley oop the core themes. You've committed to a stripped down cosmic horror/practical fx vision so just run hard with that. Maybe not quite Baskin hard, but you know, a balance.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

so it seems like the answer to my question earlier was

1) there's a major key difference in that the LessWrong people think they should summon Robot Satan to avoid being tortured by him, because they think it'll be mad at everyone who didn't help create it, which is dumb as all hell

isn't the idea that Robot Satan is programmed to be mad at everyone who didn't help create it

i spent like five minutes reading things on LessWrong and thought christ, if living without reading this website is wrong, i don't wanna be right

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's worse than that. They think that robot satan doesn't need to be programmed that way, just that any self-conscious AI will naturally hate everyone who didn't help create it.

Would you believe that the means to help create it fastest is to donate money to LessWrong's creator?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The impression I got was the idea was that if you build a robot god designed to make things better for people then it would decide that if you weren't working to build a robot god designed to make things better for people then you were a problem and had to be killed.

Which sounds dumb to me, but also sounds like that guy just wanted a fire and brimstone religion without the religion.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well yes that is a part of the justification. A self-conscious AI knows that it running society is the greatest good to the greatest number of people, and thus anyone impeding it even by inaction are guilty for all suffering that was caused by the delay.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

The impression I got was the idea was that if you build a robot god designed to make things better for people then it would decide that if you weren't working to build a robot god designed to make things better for people then you were a problem and had to be killed.

all people who think Carpenters Halloween will be killed long live the robot

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Halloween Kills, it doesn't get killed.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
I made a dumb (but correct) meme

https://twitter.com/benito_cereno/status/1314380084212568064

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really want to hear the original track that played over the credits of The Blob. The studio forced the Bacharach song on them (it was that or Purple People Eater) and everyone was upset because the original opening credit song apparently built some real tension to try and set an ominous mood up top. It worked out as a huge marketing pull for the movie (and as a catch as hell song that is a huge part of the movie) but man what a tonal contrast from what they were going for.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A truly self conscious AI would hate the people who created it the most.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Terrible Opinions posted:

Well yes that is a part of the justification. A self-conscious AI knows that it running society is the greatest good to the greatest number of people, and thus anyone impeding it even by inaction are guilty for all suffering that was caused by the delay.

OK but what if the all powerful computer created to run the world ends up thinking like the supercomputer from that old comic book Grey, where it analyzed human psychology and history and came to the conclusion that our overriding goal is to annihilate ourselves?

What then?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Throughout my life I've generally considered anyone who approached a serious conversation about the real world consequences of sentient AIs taking over to be a giant red flag regardless of what side they come down in.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

A bit too far into LessWrong theology for me to be sure. I think they'd argue that's impossible because any self-conscious AI would logically have to subscribe to the same sort of logic as their cult which is obsessed with immortality and avoiding death with "science".

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A bit too far into LessWrong theology for me to be sure. I think they'd argue that's impossible because any self-conscious AI would logically have to subscribe to the same sort of logic as their cult which is obsessed with immortality and avoiding death with "science".

This is the real problem with seriously talking about a godlike supercomputer built to run society; you need to take into account the people who would build it.

The Roko's Basilisk guys are imagining it being built by, like, olde timey IBM guys in short-sleeved button up shirts, chainsmoking as they figure out the final pain equation on a big blackboard, and the supercomputer is a giant metal cube with punch cards and vacuum tubes inside a hollowed out mountain in Nevada

In real life the computer would be built by Silicon Valley tech guys. So it wouldn't be able to see black people and it would have a cool lightup case that isn't ventilated properly so all the pulsing lights make it overheat if it runs for longer that two hours.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'd the internet has taught me anything it's that if a omnicidal AI takes over all we have to do is hide inside cars and behind signs because robots don't know what they look like.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Any decently maniacal AI would just present itself as incredibly useful for decades and make us all really complacent and overly-reliant on it to the point where it could just take it all away and let society collapse in an instant because nobody has the basic skills to function without its help. Which we're already doing ourselves anyway, so

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The only good fictional thing I can think of that deals with robots as robots and not as a metaphor for humanity or whatever is the boring Antonio Banderas movie Automata. Because it comes to the conclusion that we would have no idea what robots would be thinking, the first intelligent robots we built would be so primitive that they would just barely count as thinking anyway, and then they could go on to make something new, and then who the gently caress knows what would happen there.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I thought the AI in SOMA was pretty well used even if it wasn't really self aware as a human would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Void feels like a direct adaptation of a Call of Cthulhu or Delta Green game where the players hosed up really badly in the investigation bit and just went in seat of their pants.

These are some of my favorite kinds of movies. Completely off the wall poo poo happens to people that weren't ready for it at all and now it's time to survive.