Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Juul-Whip posted:

release the sex tim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

apple tv plus managers super afraid tim will see a massive drop in subscribers once everyone's trial runs out
https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/8/21508148/apple-tv-plus-free-period-extended-february-2021-streaming

quote:

The free trial period that came with the purchase of a new Apple product last year was set to expire for many customers on November 1st — the one-year anniversary of Apple TV Plus’ launch. Instead, Apple will now extend it through the end of January 2021. TechCrunch also reports that if customers “signed up for yearly subs without a new device purchase during that same date period they will also get free through February 2021.” People who sign up for a new subscription before November 2020 will “get a $4.99 credit per month” until February, the site adds.

It’s a smart move for Apple. The streamer kicked off with a rocky launch, with Bloomberg reporting that by February 2020, Apple TV Plus had amassed more than 10 million subscribers, but only about half of those subscribers actually used the service. It’s also unclear how many were paid subscribers and how many were using the service as part of the free plan. To compare, Disney Plus reached 10 million subscribers within the first 24 hours of its launch.
I have been on the apple tv trial for 6 months and I have watched:
  • the beastie boys documentary
I set a specific reminder to cancel it a month before the trial runs out

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

qirex posted:

lol me too

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I don't think I've watched anything yet. hell, I can barely get to all the good stuff on the Criterion channel before it goes away

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm honestly curious how upper management will react to all these service initiatives not panning out, especially apple tv which has already spent over a billion dollars on content

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I tried watching the its always sunny in Azeroth show but I didn't make it far

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

by making it impossible to understand when the trial runs out they’ve defeated your reminder

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it's always amber in yospos

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I only use my main inbox, then if I get a email I just open it, quickly scan to see if I care, and then take action if necessary. if something is particularly obnoxious (I somehow was forced to get notifications by email whenever anyone uploaded a document to our sharepoint), I tell gmail to mark it read. zero unread emails, easy.

also a fan of unroll.me, steal my data I don’t give a poo poo.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

qirex posted:

apple tv plus managers super afraid tim will see a massive drop in subscribers once everyone's trial runs out
https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/8/21508148/apple-tv-plus-free-period-extended-february-2021-streaming

I have been on the apple tv trial for 6 months and I have watched:
  • the beastie boys documentary

ted lasso is good

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

The Management posted:

this is an attempt at a technical solution to a human problem. try creating a mailing list for these kinds of things and instructing everyone to use that. then the only mail rule you need is to trash those

that would be better, but I believe that it’s impossible to change other people’s email behavior, so I just adapt to whatever garbage comes in

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Scott Forstall posted:

ted lasso is good

it’s probably the best original show that isn’t like expensive cbs

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

tk posted:

Reply to the baby announcement with a congrats. Sign off and shut down. A good day of work.

yeah, don’t ignore your coworker’s baby announcement, geez. not if you actually work them them anyway, it’s a little creepy to send congratulations to people you don’t know

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i got the apple tv offer and clicked in and didn’t see a single thing worth watching so i went and cancelled it right away.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i watched the Jason momoa show where everyone is blind and little jones liked the snoopy show. ms jones watches a few of the more soap/drama-ish shows.

I doubt we'd pay for it if it weren't free so far though

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

did they comb through the content on apple tv to make it more family-palatable app store PG13 or are there actual f-bombs and nudity in things

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i had to email apple support to get my apple tv cancelled because they make it impossible to do thru the web

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh no, not f-bombs!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
it’s cool that there’s a device and a service with the same name

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

the apple tv producer's agreement allows for one strong profanity per billing cycle

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I want to see that Foundation show, I'm rereading the book now. Same for the Beastie Boys movie, as I also read that book.

Zero interest in anything else.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Morning Show was interesting, at least. I don't appreciate getting "promo" notifications about Apple TV+ on my phone. feels spammy.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
And I'm gonna Ch-Check out the Beastie Boys documentary.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

IUG posted:

I want to see that Foundation show

there is no way that's not going to suck

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

was 'what if the soviets landed on the moon with people first?: the show' any good? it was the only thing they had i was interested in and we have a free trial to unlock but so far have seen no reason to

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

President Beep posted:

it’s cool that there’s a device and a service with the same name

and an app

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
did you know Jennifer Anniston and Reese Witherspoon each get 2 million per episode of the morning show, that’s the highest salary ever for a show nobody watches

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
did you hear about the actress who got stabbed??!

reese someone .. um.. reese? whats her last name?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

witherknife

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Long Way Up is worth a watch.

You get to see Obi-wan learn about the pitfalls of electric vehicles the hard way: by driving buggy, extremely prototype vehicles through the Patagonian winter whose onboard chargers max out at a kilowatt.

that and everything looks fuckin' amazing on a Dolby Vision screen. I wish they had more Charming Swiss Cameraman though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't know why Apple thinks people want to pay for a PG-rated streaming service in the first place

I think I've had a free subscription for like 8 months now and there hasn't been anything that's piqued my interest enough to watch

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't know why Apple thinks people want to pay for a PG-rated streaming service in the first place

disney, maybe?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Disney has the IP to make it work, its a stupid idea for anyone else

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

of course they do, but that's also a pg (or g) rated streaming service that people want to pay for.

timb probably dreams of making some rose-tinted knockoff of 1950s nbc or whatever, but there is at least one that people pay for

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it feels like the goal is to also-ran long enough to absorb something desirable and insta-pop a content library in

i mean i have no clue what isnt locked into a solid network or structure that would be feasibly wrestlable for purchase short of actually drawing from their massive war chest but im sure theres some dream acquisitions

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"we have more money than god, we can just buy talent"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:argh:

lately i’ve been asking people if they want some up dog and they go “what is that?”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
feels like they think having one or two big hits is gonna make people care, vs netflix which generally has unending content

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i got disney + and immediately cancelled sub so i
knew i would have one month to watch anything there i wanted and that was sufficient

i wouldn’t even bother with apple

in fact wouldn’t with netflix either but both my dad and ex wife like it 🤷‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The key is to have family members with different subscription services. I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime. My sister, brother, and parents net me HBO Max, Disney+, ESPN, Hulu, and Crunchyroll.