Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the #1 Overall Pick
This poll is closed.
Anthony Edwards 17 26.98%
Cole Anthony 3 4.76%
James Wiseman 12 19.05%
LaMelo Ball 19 30.16%
Other 12 19.05%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

IcePhoenix posted:

Does he overpower them because of athleticism or because he's older and thus has had the time to put on way more muscle than anyone he's going against

the age is a worry in terms of his ceiling but at least vertically he's an insanely good athlete. Can't move side to side though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

toppin grades out to be a pretty good stretch 4 who’s a disaster on defense; you don’t want him in the low post

I was trying to think of physical comparisons to Toppin and really couldn't, I had to use nbadraft.net's comps. He really has the body of Shawn Marion, another widebody man with an abnormally short neck that makes his listed height smaller than his playing height, which is like 6'9 vs 6'11 for both of them. Obviously Marion was a much more versatile athlete, but they both have that "jump over a 6'8 man" pop and strong strenfff

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

MourningView posted:

Joe would be really awesome next to Luka. He's still pretty low on most boards so maybe a guy to target at 31.

what's the deal with this guy, now that the Mavs are good again it's time for me to revive my yearly ritual of knowing even less about the draft than I do when they're bad, but falling in love with one very specific prospect that might be available, they don't draft, and doesn't pan out anyway

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dutchy posted:

what's the deal with this guy, now that the Mavs are good again it's time for me to revive my yearly ritual of knowing even less about the draft than I do when they're bad, but falling in love with one very specific prospect that might be available, they don't draft, and doesn't pan out anyway

This what I wrote about him earlier. He's in the 40s or lower on most mainstream boards but I think it you can get him in the early second it's a steal. I would happily take him in the 20s.

quote:

Isaiah Joe: just a killer shooter. Didn't have a great percentage this year but I don't think that is indicative of his skill as a shooter. He shot really well from 3 as a freshman and had been a great free throw shooter both years, and he's absolutely fearless and takes an absurd number of attempts. He is among the best guys in this class at flying around a screen, catching and firing, and he takes a lot of wild off the dribble attempts from deep which he shouldn't do in the NBA, but being willing to shoot is usually a good sign for shooting projection. Also a pretty solid passer and a better defender than he probably should be given how skinny he is.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

I was trying to think of physical comparisons to Toppin and really couldn't, I had to use nbadraft.net's comps. He really has the body of Shawn Marion, another widebody man with an abnormally short neck that makes his listed height smaller than his playing height, which is like 6'9 vs 6'11 for both of them. Obviously Marion was a much more versatile athlete, but they both have that "jump over a 6'8 man" pop and strong strenfff

problem is a lot of marion's value came from his ability to defend 1-4 which was in large part due to his lateral quickness which uh lmao that ain't obi

physical comparisons aside i think obi will end up offensively in a similar spot to spencer hawes or brad miller in terms of where his shots are coming from and how he's getting his offense, just weighted much higher towards 3s (naturally) and with a higher volume along with some sickkkk dunks

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
he can shoot but most of his points are going to come as a roll man probably

Like someone else said, he's John Collins if Collins could dibble and pass a little

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 5, 2020

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

problem is a lot of marion's value came from his ability to defend 1-4 which was in large part due to his lateral quickness which uh lmao that ain't obi

physical comparisons aside i think obi will end up offensively in a similar spot to spencer hawes or brad miller in terms of where his shots are coming from and how he's getting his offense, just weighted much higher towards 3s (naturally) and with a higher volume along with some sickkkk dunks

And there are a lot of guys in this draft who can really move their feet. It's definitely a bet the field vs the favorites sort of draft, but predicting which of these similar guys is going to be hard

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dikembe's son committed to Georgetown, any buzz other than his lineage

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

rsci has him at #95 and rivals has him at #108, not even kind of a maybe blip on the nba radar right now but still a solid college basketball recruit

protip: if you're wondering how highly recruited a high school basketball player is or was ranked, "[player name] rsci" will bring up the recruiting services consensus index, which is an aggregated ranking of where websites who specifically track how widely recruited a basketball player is

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

he's big and weirder things have happened but he's like barely a top 100 recruit. probably a nice college player though.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I don't watch college or international ball so I don't know poo poo but I'm finding myself get irrationally hyped for the idea of the Celtics drafting Poku

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I don't watch college or international ball so I don't know poo poo but I'm finding myself get irrationally hyped for the idea of the Celtics drafting Poku

he has a very low floor but a really, really, really high ceiling

he’s the kind of swing for the fences the celtics should take

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
He strikes me as one of those guys that needs to end up in the right spot, wherever the hell that is. Part of me thinks it'd be fun if Dallas got him and I got to see him develop, and part of me wonders what Carlisle would think about him.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

MourningView posted:

This what I wrote about him earlier. He's in the 40s or lower on most mainstream boards but I think it you can get him in the early second it's a steal. I would happily take him in the 20s.

Joe is going to memphis, baby. Woooooo piiiiiig sooieeeeee

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

NickRoweFillea posted:

Joe is going to memphis, baby. Woooooo piiiiiig sooieeeeee

memphis only takes my most beloved draft sons so I assume Bane will somehow fall to 40 but this would work too.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lol this draft is great shame there probably won't be a green room
https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/1314214748196499456

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
As someone who still has him high I'm glad the Knicks don't want him

Cole is in like the 20s on the majority of public boards and mocks now so not that surprising really. I dunno, UNC was such a lovely situation and he was hurt. The high school tape is good and his AAU numbers are crazy. Maybe that's all on the age difference but I still have a hard time putting him that low in a draft like this If nothing else he's a very good shooter, I think he should at least be a decent sixth man or something at the worst.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 9, 2020

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I wrong in thinking he is more or less 6'3" IT? Instant offense. Probably wont ever be a star, but hey 17 pts off the bench is valuable.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ButtWolf posted:

Am I wrong in thinking he is more or less 6'3" IT? Instant offense. Probably wont ever be a star, but hey 17 pts off the bench is valuable.

6’3 isaiah thomas is a perennial all-star

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ButtWolf posted:

6'3" IT would be an All NBA candidate, way beyond 6th man.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Paul Zuvella posted:

6'3" IT would be an All NBA candidate, way beyond 6th man.

6'3 IT would basically be playoff Jamaal Murray.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

6’3 IT would be the greatest athlete in the history of sport

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

WhyteRyce posted:

Lol this draft is great shame there probably won't be a green room
https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/1314214748196499456

I don’t think cole anthony is that much worse than anthony edwards so it would be funny if one goes #1 and the other drops out of the lottery

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kibner posted:

6'3 IT would basically be playoff Jamaal Murray.

Closer to Dame Lillard, probably

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
6'3 IT is Charles Barkley

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Doltos posted:

6'3 IT is Charles Barkley

lol

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i think cole anthony will actually be really good; he can shoot off the dribble and runs the pick and roll really well and has a lot of the same qualities that people liked about coby white who i think will also be really good in about two years

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Declan MacManus posted:

i think cole anthony will actually be really good; he can shoot off the dribble and runs the pick and roll really well and has a lot of the same qualities that people liked about coby white who i think will also be really good in about two years

I wouldn't hate it if the Pels drafted him, tbh.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

Yeah they seem pretty similar but Cole has a better track record as a shooter. The finishing is a real worry but hard to know how much of that is the knee and UNC always playing with two stiffs parked under the basket cramping everything up. Also not sure he has the vision or passing to be a primary playmaker, which is kind of an issue given his size, but i'm fairly confident he's going to score.

Algund Eenboom posted:

I don’t think cole anthony is that much worse than anthony edwards so it would be funny if one goes #1 and the other drops out of the lottery

I kind of agree although I finally gave into peer pressure and bumped Edwards over him by a couple slots. I guess the difference would be that pretty much all of Ant's issues are with his approach and feel whereas Cole also has some physical limitations.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
I have mild concerns that Dallas is going to go guard at 18. It isn't the end of the world or anything, but after the (dumb) trade back to take Roby instead of taking Gafford last year, I'm still going to be annoyed if they don't take the best wing there*. Turns out, he could've actually been useful when Powell got hurt. I wouldn't hate Kira Lewis if he fell that far, I suppose.

Maybe they'll make it up to me this year at 31 with one of our guys.

*(Not saying Gafford's a wing, that's just the Arkansas in me talking).

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Declan MacManus posted:

6’3 isaiah thomas is a perennial all-star

To be clear, I meant more of "he'll produce similarly to not Celtics IT."

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
if you think he is going to produce like celtics IT he should be number one and like two tiers above everyone else

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

and to be clear, that’s an extremely optimistic but not completely indefensible (but still pretty far on the margins) take

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

id project cole anthony to maybe pistons reggie jackson before all the injuries, but with better rebounding and less defensive upside?

Katana_Warrior fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 10, 2020

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Katana_Warrior posted:

id project cole anthony to maybe pistons reggie jackson before all the injuries, but with better rebounding and less defensive upside?

By playing defense at all he'll be a better defender than the Asthmatic Reggie Jackson. His whole thing is teetering on a knife edge, one outcome where he is an average or better than average finisher/shooter, or the rest of the time where he's a 38% field goal man. That's like top 5 picks vs whenever

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

MourningView posted:

if you think he is going to produce like celtics IT he should be number one and like two tiers above everyone else

He said "not Celtics IT" it's taken some time to decipher these hieroglyphs, but I'm pretty sure he meant "He'll produce like IT outside of IT's best years" which is essentially like, Jamaal Murray (in general) or the Old-and-Busted version of D-Wade, which, honestly, would still be pretty drat good.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Turns out the initial IT comp was for Pistons IT

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Veryslightlymad posted:

He said "not Celtics IT" it's taken some time to decipher these hieroglyphs, but I'm pretty sure he meant "He'll produce like IT outside of IT's best years" which is essentially like, Jamaal Murray (in general) or the Old-and-Busted version of D-Wade, which, honestly, would still be pretty drat good.

oh whoops missed the not

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I don't remember if I posted this before, but this guy has done an extensive write up on Killian Hayes and his other stuff may be worth reading, too: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=24373441&fan_landing=true

Hayes writeup: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K4pWh6JnouEkE_cwfZRpNV40ncR-DHouWCWJuU6cQ70/edit

It's 42 pages, so... definitely clear some time if you really want to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
We've talked about PD before but I don't think anyone linked the Killian piece specifically. It's really good. Great dude and one of the best and most entertaining guys out there when it comes to writing about super technical basketball stuff. He should have a piece on anthony edwards coming out sometime relatively soon.