Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

The MSJ posted:

Patty Jenkins said WB is standing firm by their decision to screen movies in theaters.

No way Wonder Woman comes out in theaters on Christmas. We are now getting started on the second wave, the president just got covid, and people started wearing masks again after it became real to them again. Also France and Italy are spiking. Theatres are dead everywhere outside of China with one more year of this.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm excited for Soul because of its Trent Reznor + Atticus Ross score.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Judakel posted:

No way Wonder Woman comes out in theaters on Christmas. We are now getting started on the second wave, the president just got covid, and people started wearing masks again after it became real to them again. Also France and Italy are spiking. Theatres are dead everywhere outside of China with one more year of this.

Wait, when did the first wave stop?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
It didn't

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
We’re actually getting started on the third wave but yes also the troughs between the waves were still high by comparison to almost any other country.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wait, when did the first wave stop?

Well according to our safety and compliance office back in July it was gonna go away any day now

[

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of Stallone.

https://twitter.com/MortalKombat/status/1314188797102428161?s=19

Now Rambo can finally fight Terminator and Robocop like every child of the 80s and 90s dreamed of.

MK11 is just BroForce now.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lid posted:

Capcoms biggest boost was Monster Hinter World out of nowhere being their biggest success ever so of course they fave it to Paul WS Anderson who is trying to make Stargate

reminder that WS has been connected to the project since before World, and had been rumored as far back as 2012 because he's a huge fan. I think the level of success that World had was a surprise even to them, they were already in the process of making this and it woudl have cost too much to go back and boost it's budget

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DC Murderverse posted:

reminder that WS has been connected to the project since before World, and had been rumored as far back as 2012 because he's a huge fan. I think the level of success that World had was a surprise even to them, they were already in the process of making this and it woudl have cost too much to go back and boost it's budget

Just still comes off as the really bad kind of movie adaptation that's clearly embarrassed about its source material and tries to really be just another dull and cliched action movie instead, inevitably pleasing no one.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
If the dude really loves it and it shows on screen. But I still have no faith just due to the really, really awful filmmaking he does. Like his films just look awful and can barely can be construed as 'competent'. He's like one of those direct-to-DVD horror filmmaker still making films on early 2000's digital cameras he bought out of pocket still in 2020, except he has the backing of a studio to allow him proper filmmaking tools.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The studios have been paying for their crimes of destroying his masterpiece Event Horizon

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's funny in Resident Evil: Retribution when a group of characters from the games randomly show up and they look like a crowd of cosplayers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I unironically enjoy the Resident Evil movies. They're not good, at all, but they're outstanding R-rated sci-fi horror schmaltz. I think I read somewhere that the 6 RE movies combined made something like 1.2 billion dollars and cost around 300,000,000 to make, so it stands to reason that Hollywood would want to make more of them.

Milla Jovovich doing goddamn acrobatics and machinegunning zombies with clones of herself (and the dude who played Albert Wesker) were excellent in the roles they played.

And I always enjoyed the musical motifs in those films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L7mZH2u3Qc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBSKSIxnGjI

Also, Event Horizon is a loving masterpiece and I cannot stress that enough.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 9, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Len posted:

Well according to our safety and compliance office back in July it was gonna go away any day now

[

Motherfucker would have been gramatically correct with either "imminent" or "immanent", but he went with "eminent" pffff

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just still comes off as the really bad kind of movie adaptation that's clearly embarrassed about its source material and tries to really be just another dull and cliched action movie instead, inevitably pleasing no one.

Don't we still only have a handful of stills and a brief synopsis?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

All I know is Mila Jovovich is a soldier who ends up in another universe and has to team up with the locals (apparently one of them is Tony Jaa) to fight giant monsters using huge swords.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The MSJ posted:

All I know is Mila Jovovich is a soldier who ends up in another universe and has to team up with the locals (apparently one of them is Tony Jaa) to fight giant monsters using huge swords.

Yeah that's all I know about it too, remember how people thought Spider verse was going to be bad based on the synopsis?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Len posted:

Yeah that's all I know about it too, remember how people thought Spider verse was going to be bad based on the synopsis?

There's a slight difference between Lord/Miller and Paul W. S. Anderson.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gonz posted:

I unironically enjoy the Resident Evil movies. They're not good, at all, but they're outstanding R-rated sci-fi horror schmaltz. I think I read somewhere that the 6 RE movies combined made something like 1.2 billion dollars and cost around 300,000,000 to make, so it stands to reason that Hollywood would want to make more of them.

Milla Jovovich doing goddamn acrobatics and machinegunning zombies with clones of herself (and the dude who played Albert Wesker) were excellent in the roles they played.

And I always enjoyed the musical motifs in those films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L7mZH2u3Qc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBSKSIxnGjI

Also, Event Horizon is a loving masterpiece and I cannot stress that enough.

Event Horizon is really loving good. It kind of flubs the ending, but is fantastic up to that point. Also, in case anyone cared, the Event Horizon ship is over 2 kilometres long, which makes it larger than a star destroyer.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Len posted:

Who thought this? I don’t remember anyone thinking this. They announced it as an animated movie featuring Miles Morales and I feel like by the time we learned much more about it the teaser had dropped and blown everyone away

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I remember thinking "I kinda wish it was just a Miles Morales movie and not inspired by a bad Dan Slott comic" but I wasn't expecting it to be actually awful.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DC Murderverse posted:

Who thought this? I don’t remember anyone thinking this. They announced it as an animated movie featuring Miles Morales and I feel like by the time we learned much more about it the teaser had dropped and blown everyone away

Random goon posts here and there about how it looked like an unnecessary movie and didn't need to exist. But then it ended up the best Spiderman movie

Honestly it isn't like Monster Hunter has a real good plot to mess up anyway. All it needs are people swinging oversized weapons at dragons and the production stills seem split between regular weapons and Milla holding flaming dual blades it's probably clearing that low bar

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

Its weird with how the beginning of 4 hits the undo on everything about the ending of 3 (kills off all the Alice clones, Wesker removes Alice's powers) you'd think it was a TLJ/RoS situation except Paul WS Anderson wrote all the RE movies.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Every movie that features the red queen AI has a remarkably different interpretation of her character, the final one being benevolent purely because it was played by his and milla's daughter

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol this is just another Resident Evil movie

E: specifically the one in the desert? With the lame action and a dozen slasher level cast.

Except for the arab guy from the Mummy. He rocks.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 9, 2020

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

This might be a dumb question, but at what point do studios exhaust the movies they still have in reserve? I know the problems facing television series have continued to mount as the pandemic has persisted, but does the film industry face the same challenges?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

Event Horizon is really loving good. It kind of flubs the ending, but is fantastic up to that point. Also, in case anyone cared, the Event Horizon ship is over 2 kilometres long, which makes it larger than a star destroyer.

I just rewatched Event Horizon recently and it is so loving good. The CGI is a bit dated and has that weird "90's CGI sheen" to things but it doesn't detract because the practical effects are fantastic.

Sam Neil and Lawrence Fishburne are such great leads and play off each other well. Another fun fact the ship was designed to look like a gothic cathedral.

I'm forever bitter we'll never get a director's cut of that movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Resident Evil movies are definitely so bad they're good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPUPaxgIo98

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

joylessdivision posted:

I just rewatched Event Horizon recently and it is so loving good. The CGI is a bit dated and has that weird "90's CGI sheen" to things but it doesn't detract because the practical effects are fantastic.

Sam Neil and Lawrence Fishburne are such great leads and play off each other well. Another fun fact the ship was designed to look like a gothic cathedral.

I'm forever bitter we'll never get a director's cut of that movie.

Is it known where the mythical additional hell footage was supposed to show up? Was it just going to be more in the video they see?

Because honestly, the length of that whole sequence is pretty much perfect as is. From the moment where we hear it start but only see the shocked reactions of two crew members, to the chaotic montage that makes you think even the movie thinks it's *wrong* to really show what is going on, to Fishburne's priceless reaction. More self-cannibalization or whatever is supposed to be there would kind of gently caress up the flow.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SomeJazzyRat posted:

If the dude really loves it and it shows on screen. But I still have no faith just due to the really, really awful filmmaking he does. Like his films just look awful and can barely can be construed as 'competent'. He's like one of those direct-to-DVD horror filmmaker still making films on early 2000's digital cameras he bought out of pocket still in 2020, except he has the backing of a studio to allow him proper filmmaking tools.

eh. I think he's ebbed and flowed; there's definitely some stank in his filmography, but those later Resident Evil movies (from Afterlife on) are legitimately good fun, and if this is in the same vein as those I'm on board 100%.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Is it known where the mythical additional hell footage was supposed to show up? Was it just going to be more in the video they see?

Because honestly, the length of that whole sequence is pretty much perfect as is. From the moment where we hear it start but only see the shocked reactions of two crew members, to the chaotic montage that makes you think even the movie thinks it's *wrong* to really show what is going on, to Fishburne's priceless reaction. More self-cannibalization or whatever is supposed to be there would kind of gently caress up the flow.

It's really easy to cross over from it being horrifying into just plain disgusting.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Grendels Dad posted:

I think the length of the scene would be the same, but we would have seen more the footage instead of just hearing the audio. So I agree its probably better that they didn't show it. What we can imagine is probably far worse than what they filmed.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rageaholic posted:

I'm excited for Soul because of its Trent Reznor + Atticus Ross score.

I thought you were joking but this is actually true.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think the length of the scene would be the same, but we would have seen more the footage instead of just hearing the audio. So I agree its probably better that they didn't show it. What we can imagine is probably far worse than what they filmed.

There is some nasty gore in the movie but yeah, showing in detail what hell is all about would have taken away from the overall experience. They could have saved that for a hypothetical sequel where the survivors go back to hell to save Fishburne, or something. They bring Space Marines.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Grendels Dad posted:

There is some nasty gore in the movie but yeah, showing in detail what hell is all about would have taken away from the overall experience. They could have saved that for a hypothetical sequel where the survivors go back to hell to save Fishburne, or something. They bring Space Marines.

Event Horizon 2: Doom 1

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Event Horizon 2: Doom 1

: First A Lot Of Blood

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I remember in I think it was RE3 where they open the movie with “For *reasons*, the oceans are drying up and the planet is becoming uninhabitable”

Then this never comes up again in the franchise

The movies are also such blatant examples of creating a Mary Sue that isn’t even a character in the franchise at all, and then with every movie she has new abilities which are way beyond anything ever seen in the RE games before. Each movie is pretty much it’s own continuity

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I'm just so glad I never got invested in the games, because the movies sound like a very specific type of torture for gamers too into their games.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm just so glad I never got invested in the games, because the movies sound like a very specific type of torture for gamers too into their games.

on one hand, sorta, yeah

on the other hand... Resident Evil is already dumb as hell to begin with, like the story for those games gets just impressively stupid, and the fandom pretty much realizes this and actively loves RE for it, so Paul W.S. throwing it out and replacing it with slightly different stupid hasn't gone over too badly with the game fans in my experience

like, they're not really doing the same thing as the games, they just remix little bits of them around as desired and do their own thing, but their own thing is still 100% in the spirit of where Capcom's taken RE over the years so it works fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Resident Evil games have always been a love letter to schlock, but gamers have been operating under the assumption that they’re straight horror because of a wide critical failing to understand that schlock can still be genuinely scary. So things like “Jill sandwich” and “master of unlocking” are viewed as incompetent aberrations rather than as part of the experience.

This is also why the franchise’s eventual turn to being more action-focused made complete sense, it’s merely mimicking its progenitors. It’s hard to be really upset that a franchise whose best entry involved a man in a Napoleon outfit sending a giant animatronic statue of himself to crush you isn’t that interested in horror anymore.