Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I'm really not worried about this crew leaning fully into grimdark. They've been doing Content long enough to know what their audience wants, I'm confident they're gonna give it to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

tsob posted:

That aside, does anyone know what other podcasts Ify Nwadiwe has done? Now that I've watched a bit more of Umm...Actually he's one of the recurring guests that I've gotten most interested in and he mentioned at one point that he's hosted two Dragon Ball podcasts. I've found one or two others that he's a regular host on using Google and the search function in Pocket Casts (namely Who Shot Ya? and Nerdificient), but there's not really a good database that I've found to indicate exactly what work he's done in that area and I wouldn't mind listening to a bit of his stuff because he seems like a really charming dude.

He has a podcast with Fiona Nova called F’in Around with Ify and Fiona on Rooster Teeth. He’s also been streaming and playing with Achievement Hunter a lot lately.

Re: dark, I’m gonna echo the other poster about the dark one shot. That was still hilarious even though it was dark. Lots of goofs. I wouldn’t mind that for an entire campaign.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable

tsob posted:

Wait...when was that line from?

I think it's when they encountered a frost giant in the snowy wastes.

and fuckin' murder him

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao the characters

emily: hedge witch
caldwell: alchemist artificer
jake: guy whose wife left him

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

lmao the characters

emily: hedge witch
caldwell: alchemist artificer
jake: guy whose wife left him

so loving good, these guys and glass canon are just the absolute gold standard of dumbass actual play

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Definitely still going to be a bit darker than Bahumia, but definitely not grimdark. The books being sentient alone should be fun as poo poo.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Just listened, I’m pumped, I think it’ll be good, these side campaigns have shown they have a really good idea on how to make great dnd podcasts and no offense to the others but Murph is a much better DM then the others

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I think I'm only worried because I absolutely loved The Adventure Zone and then the second season of that took a "darker" tone and was an absolute turd.

More confident though after getting into Fantasy High and seeing they have a good record behind them and hopefully season one isn't just lightning in a bottle.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The Adventure Zone started showing its bad habits by the end of Campaign 1, I’m not too worried.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

seaborgium posted:

Definitely still going to be a bit darker than Bahumia, but definitely not grimdark. The books being sentient alone should be fun as poo poo.

Yeah, Murph starting to talk about how Eldermourne would be a bit darker, with gothic touches and no cosmic bugs etc. being immediately punctured by Emily going "wait...no Starspawn?" is a good sign to me that they'll never let the tone get too serious or dark even if it'll lean a bit more in that direction. The fact that Emily has sentient books that argue with her or bite, Jake has a sarcastic shadow that's acting up and Caldwell has Droppy Dog as an Elf are all good signs too.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!
Reflavoring the elvish four-hour trance as "guy who operates on four hours of sleep and is tired all the time" is a truly good bit.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Someone convince me the short rests are worth the money

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RC Cola posted:

I haven't regretted it even a little. they're often as funny as the normal episodes, and obviously the behind-the-screen insights into what could have happened if choices/dice rolls had happened differently can be really interesting.

The $5 tier also gives you ad-free episodes, which, considering how annoying some of the ads can be, would be worth it on its own

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I haven't regretted it even a little. they're often as funny as the normal episodes, and obviously the behind-the-screen insights into what could have happened if choices/dice rolls had happened differently can be really interesting.

The $5 tier also gives you ad-free episodes, which, considering how annoying some of the ads can be, would be worth it on its own

Yeah, I'd pay five bucks for the ad-free episodes on their own.

But yeah, the Short Rests are definitely worth it, especially if you like hearing the group just goofing around together and laughing themselves silly (which if you don't you're probably still not listening to NADDPod in the first place).

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
The Short Rests are funny, but also the £5 Patreon tier is worth it for the bonus episodes alone, imo.

Did you know Jake liked the Dungeons and Dragons movie?

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

Them just absolutely loving with Murph in that episode is worth any amount of money.

No joke, this podcast keeps my vitals running.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I finished hot boy summer last night and I've had a running mashup of blink 182 songs stuck in my head all day

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Get the $5 tier specifically for “in the bag with balnor” an in character radio show. It’s so god drat funny.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

I’m way behind (but catching up) in NADDPOD so I dunno if they ever addressed this in an episode or a short rest but have they ever discussed a possibility of bringing 8BBC back for more than just an occasional episode here and there? I love this podcast but it’s always made me sad that it killed one of the funniest shows I’ve ever heard so they could go full focus on it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Abongination posted:

Get the $5 tier specifically for “in the bag with balnor” an in character radio show. It’s so god drat funny.

it turning increasingly meta as they try to figure out how to insert themselves into the plot of the new season was so good

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

tsob posted:

Yeah, Murph starting to talk about how Eldermourne would be a bit darker, with gothic touches and no cosmic bugs etc. being immediately punctured by Emily going "wait...no Starspawn?" is a good sign to me that they'll never let the tone get too serious or dark even if it'll lean a bit more in that direction. The fact that Emily has sentient books that argue with her or bite, Jake has a sarcastic shadow that's acting up and Caldwell has Droppy Dog as an Elf are all good signs too.

Yeah, this doesn't seem like a TAZ pivot to super grimdark. It'll definitely have a different tone, but even Bahumia had some dark/sad moments. The players being good at this and wanting to have fun should keep it entertaining.

RC Cola posted:

Definitely worth it, like someone said the baggin' it with Balnor episodes are amazing. But even the peek behind the curtain it gives you is very fun. Murph usually has some interesting stuff planned even if it wasn't used that they'll talk about, or how it could have gone with different dice rolls. It's also just them shooting the poo poo about D&D a lot, and saying why they did some of the things they did. I would recommend the 5$ to start, if you really like it move up to the 10. It's a little less often they post there, but still fun as poo poo.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The setting seems a little generic, but those are some excellent characters.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Sankara posted:

The setting seems a little generic, but those are some excellent characters.

Bahumia was also deeply generic, and that worked out just fine, so I'm not too worried. Having a generic setting that lets them goof around with familiar tropes is one of the strengths of the first campaign. The Crik Elves wouldn't have worked as well if generic fantasy elves weren't so widespread and well-recognized.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

A little grim or dark is fine. The problem comes when 4 or more people start fighting for the limelight when not one of them is actually a good writer (see the last two TAZ campaigns or even the sloggier episodes or stretches of Critical Role).

EDIT:

But "Say the word, and it's a crop-top" has been an invasive line in my head since I heard it.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 12, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just finished the Feywild arc, and I’m tempted to buy into Short Rest just to hear more about the witch’s game.
How Murph was expecting it to go, what he did right/wrong, whether putting such an scenario in a tabletop game is even feasible, etc.

I’m only halfway through the main story and haven’t even gotten into Trinyvale or any side content except the Christmas episode, so I’m not starving for content though.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

I bought into the Short Rest after the Galaderon airship battle that ended with both Hardwon and Old Cob unconscious and making death saves. I had to listen to them unpacking their feelings.

Never regretted it. Happy to support that bunch of horny idiots.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Dr Christmas posted:

I just finished the Feywild arc, and I’m tempted to buy into Short Rest just to hear more about the witch’s game.
How Murph was expecting it to go, what he did right/wrong, whether putting such an scenario in a tabletop game is even feasible, etc.

I’m only halfway through the main story and haven’t even gotten into Trinyvale or any side content except the Christmas episode, so I’m not starving for content though.

That is an amazing episode. I'm still tempted to buy the .......Chicken shirt just for that alone.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Listening to 8bit book club is so weird after this whole series. It's funny as hell but I keep expecting jake to chime in a just slay me with a bit. Realizing murph stole all half his name's from a warcraft book is loving hilarious though

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm working my through the Um, Actually! backlog, and there's a Halloween special in season two that's great. All 3 guests starting working together almost instantly, and helping each other throughout the show rather than competing; to the point that when they all realize the answer to a question at the same time, the host just goes "do you want to answer together?" and they all wait and shout the answer at the same time, so he has to give everyone one point for it. It's great. That said, there was an episode early in season two with Erika Ishii, Eme Ikwuakor and Becca Scott where Erika and Becca just have a range of great reactions throughout that's probably my favourite so far. Erika deflating, and just slowly sliding off the couch to slump on the floor because she messed up answering a question only for someone else to steal the answer was amazing. Any time someone answers a question, only to realize several seconds later "Oh, I forgot to say Um, actually; the show's one rule" as everyone else rushes to buzz in first and steal it is hilarious.

Edit: the fact the Halloween episode turns out to be the most light-hearted, fun episode where everyone has fun together while the Musicals episode turned out to be the most hyper-competitive as Trapp pointed out is really funny too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 15, 2020

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

Any time someone answers a question, only to realize several seconds later "Oh, I forgot to say Um, actually; the show's one rule" as everyone else rushes to buzz in first and steal it is hilarious.

Here's some fun trivia: Who was the first ever person to fall victim to this, on the very first episode of the Um, Actually web series on YouTube in 2015?

Answer: Emily Axford https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qam4iiya1q0&t=135s

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

I've been watching Breaking News and nothing has made me laugh so hard as the one where one of the guys has to eat flour and the one where they absolutely roast Grant O'Brien.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

The roast of Grant is amazing. That episode was written by one of his friends, Nick Kocher, who is one half of BriTANick

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

King Crab posted:

I've been watching Breaking News and nothing has made me laugh so hard as the one where one of the guys has to eat flour and the one where they absolutely roast Grant O'Brien.

Grant being more upset about the film he did in his youth than having to read out the story of that time he left a dildo in the shower is great; especially his rising horror as he builds up the film even though he's so ashamed of it. I haven't even seen much stuff with him in it, but almost everything else makes some kind of nod to him being kind a well known...pervert has negative connotations, but sexually open, I guess? I watched a short where everyone was in a Zoom chat and start hearing some hentai playing in the background, and when Grant is accused of being the one playing it because he's able to identify it just by listening to the dialogue, his response is "you know if it was me I'd admit it" and everyone just kind of shrugs in a "yeah, that makes sense" way. I'd love to see him, Erika Ishii, Ify Nwadiwe or Katie Marovitch guest on NaDDPod. Or Amy Vorpahl actually, since she (a) just seems nice from her appearances on Um, Actually and obviously has a deep love for D'n'D too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 15, 2020

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

There's an episode of Game Changer where he drinks water out of a toilet

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

If you like seeing Grant brutalized, watch Total Forgiveness.

Then look up the recording of Grant's stand up routine. Its all love.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
any word on when episode 1 of c2 will be out? i mean in theory its a thursday podcast but in practice its a friday p-cast

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/NADDPod/status/1316915001215647749

e: it's up now

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 16, 2020

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Good luck to Emily for committing to that accent for a whole-rear end campaign

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Really enjoying these ads where Caldwell says he's a huge star trek fan and then doesn't know how to pronounce the word "ensign"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

caldwell deserved more credit for "cawfabe"

seriously though, i thought it was a really strong start, i'm looking forward to this campaign

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 16, 2020