Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1313875921699368960?s=19

I guess this will be a good way to christen the 4K player in the PS5.

I saw the blu ray for the two towers in a 7-11 today for $3.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Roth posted:

I'm mostly interested in the LOTR 4k because I imagine the HDR is going to be a whole world of difference.

The blu-ray is very dark in places.

It'd be nice if they could go back to the non-green colour scheme from the TC blu-ray too.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I guess I'm just dumb but what is the difference in these two options?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Happy Hippo posted:

I guess I'm just dumb but what is the difference in these two options?

The picture in the tweet is the giftset version, which has a nice box and the ring. Here is the non giftset version

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I went with the steel book collection from Best Buy. I like how it's packaged and the artwork is neat.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

I went with the steel book collection from Best Buy. I like how it's packaged and the artwork is neat.

There's no special features.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Vince MechMahon posted:

There's no special features.

The worst feature of that release is that the discs contain the Lord of the Rings movies.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wait, what?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Xenomrph posted:

Wait, what?

I would assume that CPL593H, like me, hates the Lord of the Rings movies and will never forgive Peter Jackson for them. After decades of waiting we finally get a bug budget Lord of the Rings adaptation, and it's completely pointless because it doesn't include Tom Bombadil.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The LotR movies are far from my ideal adaptation of the material, but they're generally solid flicks on their own merits if a bit tonally nutso.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

The LotR movies are far from my ideal adaptation of the material, but they're generally solid flicks on their own merits if a bit tonally nutso.

Most people forget just how boring the books are for long stretches, and trust me I'm not a fan of several of the changes, but it's probably the best balance for adaptation of such dense material.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Where’s the hyper cut where it’s the entire trilogy in one movie. At least I might not fall asleep during that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gripweed posted:

I would assume that CPL593H, like me, hates the Lord of the Rings movies and will never forgive Peter Jackson for them. After decades of waiting we finally get a bug budget Lord of the Rings adaptation, and it's completely pointless because it doesn't include Tom Bombadil.

I’ve genuinely never heard of anyone hating the LotR movies. Huh.

I’ve read the books but I’m not a Tolkien superfan, and I think the movies absolutely knocked it out of the park.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The LOTR series on a whole does absolutely nothing for me. I'm not a fantasy guy in general, though. The names are incredibly off-putting to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'll never be able to look at LOTR in an objective way. Seeing Fellowship of the Ring on opening weekend was one of those special movie experiences you maybe only get two or three times in your life. The combination of relatively new CGI techniques with the mind-blowing fact that actually yes they've made a big budget movie version of my favorite books made it probably my most anticipated movie of like that entire decade. Every time I put Fellowship on it transports me right back to that theater in 2001 and the powerful nostalgia hit makes it tough to evaluate the movie objectively.

That said, I have a very nice box set of the extended editions and I'm happy with it so unless reviews tell me that the UHD versions are a significant leap I may not upgrade in this case.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve genuinely never heard of anyone hating the LotR movies. Huh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jOIhDRRjFQ
Jump to 1:45.

I'm in the camp where I really only enjoy the 3rd one.
The first was a grand epic, and pretty amazing to see it in theatres along with the achievement that was Gollum, but I don't ever really need to see it ever again. I think the story is ok but under a fuckton of pipe-weed cruft and worldbuilding that doesn't land for me.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I enjoyed LOTR when I saw it in theaters, but rewatching it not too long ago I was just bored. It's great spectacle in theaters, but like Avatar, rubbish in home video.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Realized halfway through seeing The Two Towers in the theater, like a good 17 year old nerd, that I fully didn't give a poo poo about any of this and gave myself permission to skip the last one.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lord of the Rings, more like Bored of the Rings!

I feel the same as others do in that I feel like the movie loses a lot by not being seen in a theater. But it's just generally one of those movies I never care to see again so I was taking a cheap swipe at them. Plus there was a long period of time when no one would shut the gently caress up about them and I just got sick of hearing about it. I wish Peter Jackson would do a return to roots and give us something like the Frighteners again. Apparently he's doing something with a bunch of unused footage from when they made Let It Be so I'm looking forward to that.

TheScott2K posted:

Realized halfway through seeing The Two Towers in the theater, like a good 17 year old nerd, that I fully didn't give a poo poo about any of this and gave myself permission to skip the last one.

You made the right choice. That third movie is soooooo boring.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Shout Factory is having a Shocktober sale with everything at 50% so naturally the site is broken.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

While you wait for that to resolve, Deep Discount is doing a buy one get one free on some Olive Films releases for those among you who are dying to have that Bio-Dome/Meteor Man double feature.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that honestly sounds like a great double header after all this LOTR discussion.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

that honestly sounds like a great double header after all this LOTR discussion.

By the way, does that sale apply to all of Shout Factory or just Scream Factory?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

By the way, does that sale apply to all of Shout Factory or just Scream Factory?

Pretty sure it's just Scream Factory. Shout did a Shout Select sale last week (maybe a couple weeks ago actually)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

It looks like most Scream titles are UP TO 50% off.
https://www.shoutfactory.com/sale/shocktober?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=shocktober_tw20

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah I just got on there and saw. BOOOOO!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The It's alive trilogy is about half off tho and that seems like a steal!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Under $20 is my usual buying price, especially for boutique labels, so I’m trying not to spend $300 after already spending $300. I probably will anyways.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If any of you are up for a blind buy I'd highly recommend The Vagrant. The trailer is a terrible representation of the movie though.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

cant even get through checkout. That's probably a sign I shouldn't order it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I was able to get through via Amazon Pay. Got Candyman, Night of the Comet, Return of the Living Dead and Trick r’ Treat!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

maybe i'll try amazon checkout then.

Woo! worked.

Snagged The Fog, In The Mouth of Madness, Return of the Living Dead II and Misery. Might go back before the 19th after I get paid for some more. we'll see whats available.

dorium fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 9, 2020

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Snagging that The Fly boxset for under $40 felt pretty good!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Maybe I’m just dumb, but where is the Scream Factory sale?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Maybe I’m just dumb, but where is the Scream Factory sale?

You just go on the website. There's not a special second or anything the prices on stuff are just marked down.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

You just go on the website. There's not a special second or anything the prices on stuff are just marked down.

Thanks!

Just ordered:
Event Horizon (preorder)
They Live
Dog Soldiers
Thirteen Ghosts
Trick r Treat

:woop:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Here's a direct link: https://www.shoutfactory.com/sale/shocktober

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Thanks!

Just ordered:
Event Horizon (preorder)
They Live
Dog Soldiers
Thirteen Ghosts
Trick r Treat

:woop:

I mean to say "section" but my brain is broken and I type all bad and wrong now for some reason.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Basebf555 posted:

I'll never be able to look at LOTR in an objective way. Seeing Fellowship of the Ring on opening weekend was one of those special movie experiences you maybe only get two or three times in your life. The combination of relatively new CGI techniques with the mind-blowing fact that actually yes they've made a big budget movie version of my favorite books made it probably my most anticipated movie of like that entire decade. Every time I put Fellowship on it transports me right back to that theater in 2001 and the powerful nostalgia hit makes it tough to evaluate the movie objectively.

Yeah, as a kid, I had seen bits and parts of the Hobbit cartoon, and maybe some of the LOTR cartoon. But other than that I knew absolutely nothing about the series otherwise. I was 18, and went with friends to the midnight screening just because that's what 18 year olds did. When it ended at like 3am, I remember being floored because they hadn't yet gotten to Mordor, and it couldn't possibly be over yet. I had thought that the next two movies were just the continuing adventures of the fellowship. So, I love the movie to this day, despite how most of the CG hasn't aged well at all.

Also, Tom Bomdabil would have dragged the movie down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Is the LGBT version of the Babadook just the regular edition with a slipcover?