Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So uh...

For some reason I do not have to pay to build defense platforms and I GET PAID to upgrade my starports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Bombarding a planet being colonized will roll it back and eventually de-colonize it for you.

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

in all other contexts bombarding a planet is a dumb loving waste of time because no garrison can stop an invasion worth the name

i never even bother

gently caress

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Leal posted:

So uh...

For some reason I do not have to pay to build defense platforms and I GET PAID to upgrade my starports

On a scale of 1-10, how modded up is your game

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I got about 15ish mods installed. Think I'm gonna call this run done though, I've hegemonized 3/4ths of the galaxy but uh... I can't loving do anything else cause these assholes in the federation keep voting no when I try to attack the awaked fallen empire. Hell some other faction has some sectors in my area and I figured I'd take it all to make everything even and I can't do that cause someone in the federation gave association status to that faction. And I can't loving boot them cause THAT needs to be voted on!

Why can't I use favors to make these people vote yes?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Leal posted:

I got about 15ish mods installed. Think I'm gonna call this run done though, I've hegemonized 3/4ths of the galaxy but uh... I can't loving do anything else cause these assholes in the federation keep voting no when I try to attack the awaked fallen empire. Hell some other faction has some sectors in my area and I figured I'd take it all to make everything even and I can't do that cause someone in the federation gave association status to that faction. And I can't loving boot them cause THAT needs to be voted on!

unfortunately federations exist mostly to create AI alliance blocs that you have to fight, and to let you play tall halfway effectively without getting blasted by somebody too strong for you. they are not good if you are just in full space rear end in a top hat player mode where you pillage the AI for its stuff

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a mod that adds a "gently caress ya'll and your 5k armies" and let you declare war independently from the federation?

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Just leave the federation? That's more or less what happens irl.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Leal posted:

So uh...

Usually gaining resources on upgrade means that whatever you’re upgrading to is cheaper than the upgrade from. That doesn’t mean it’s worse necessarily - for example, the +hp armor panels are much cheaper in terms of resources than armor but can be situationally much better depending on what you’re fighting.

Dunno about free platforms tho, that’s kinda weird.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Leal posted:

Check the federation laws. If your federation is at a high enough level, then you can probably pass a law to make it so that only the federation president decides when war is declared (as well as basically force yourself to always be president).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Between the different Federation types, I feel like Martial Alliance and Hegemony are the only good ones. Those ones are also fairly easy to be the ones where you get established as the One True Leader and have a no upkeep 600 doomstack fleet running around.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

HelloSailorSign posted:

Between the different Federation types, I feel like Martial Alliance and Hegemony are the only good ones. Those ones are also fairly easy to be the ones where you get established as the One True Leader and have a no upkeep 600 doomstack fleet running around.

Research Coop and Trade League are also quite good. Research gives you +1 megastructure build and Trade league makes trade... actually good.

Doubly so if you're actually a megacorp, I suppose.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Leal posted:

Open console, type 'yesmen'

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

HelloSailorSign posted:

The research one is good but hard to get early when it would really matter.

The trade one is cool too, but it’s usefulness drops over time as unity becomes less valuable.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Lightning Knight posted:

The research one is good but hard to get early when it would really matter.

The trade one is cool too, but it’s usefulness drops over time as unity becomes less valuable.

Eh even lategame trade league is good as you can easily cost on having next to no unity buildings and even lowering the amount of consumer good factories/districts, which gives you more building slots for other stuff.

Like, say, alloys or research.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Yami Fenrir posted:

Eh even lategame trade league is good as you can easily cost on having next to no unity buildings and even lowering the amount of consumer good factories/districts, which gives you more building slots for other stuff.

Like, say, alloys or research.

That’s true but you can make your trade policy give you consumer goods + money without the trade league. Likewise, it’s very easy to generate sufficient unity with minimal investment in most cases, especially if you’re playing one of the gimmick civics that generates it for you.

I don’t think trade league is bad, but federations in general as a mechanic suffer from the AI being fickle and that being tied into a federation you don’t control kind of sucks. The fact that trade is a weak mechanic unless you really lean into it doesn’t help.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Leal posted:

Is there a mod that adds a "gently caress ya'll and your 5k armies" and let you declare war independently from the federation?

You can just change the federation laws to make the voting easier for you to win

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Lightning Knight posted:

That’s true but you can make your trade policy give you consumer goods + money without the trade league. Likewise, it’s very easy to generate sufficient unity with minimal investment in most cases, especially if you’re playing one of the gimmick civics that generates it for you.

I don’t think trade league is bad, but federations in general as a mechanic suffer from the AI being fickle and that being tied into a federation you don’t control kind of sucks. The fact that trade is a weak mechanic unless you really lean into it doesn’t help.

True, I suppose. *Hugs Research Admins*

I think the thing a lot of people forget is that 10% goes to EVERYONE in your federation.

So strictly speaking, in a big MP federation, you could get ridiculous value out of it.

Practically, the game doesn't really allow it due to all of the other plates you have to juggle.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

You can just change the federation laws to make the voting easier for you to win

Yeah it's pretty easy to game the new federation system to just make yourself eternal president and also give the president absolute dictatorial powers. Especially if there's a crisis active so everybody is going to be more inclined to like you. All you really need is to be the biggest empire, change the voting rules to be proportional to size rather than one vote per empire, and then use that to pass all the other laws you want.

I feel like the federation type should change when you do this because it's absolutely not a "federation" anymore at that point, it's a superpower and a bunch of client states.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah it's pretty easy to game the new federation system to just make yourself eternal president and also give the president absolute dictatorial powers.

And if your federation isn't named The Senate I don't know what to tell you

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah it's pretty easy to game the new federation system to just make yourself eternal president and also give the president absolute dictatorial powers. Especially if there's a crisis active so everybody is going to be more inclined to like you. All you really need is to be the biggest empire, change the voting rules to be proportional to size rather than one vote per empire, and then use that to pass all the other laws you want.

I feel like the federation type should change when you do this because it's absolutely not a "federation" anymore at that point, it's a superpower and a bunch of client states.

I wish there were way more Federation events.

The Hegemony ethics encouragement/monument building and the Military Alliance fleet exercises are kinda interesting, but I'd love to see loads more events based on the particular Federation.

Research Federations getting events to pool resources or share techs in a certain tree, Trade Federations identifying new resource nodes, Military Federations holding not just fleet but army exercises and maybe even decreeing barren worlds as weapons testing sites, Hegemonies being able to have more, "proclaim me your overload, again, just for my benefit" events would be hilarious, especially if doing too many could lead to everyone rebelling against you.

Maybe then it should be a Hegemony Federation type, but rather Hegemony and Federation are two major types and you can have research/military/trade flavor variants of each.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Well, that extra dimensional invasion lasted for all of the two months it took to get four of my fleets into the portal system. Don’t think I can be hosed be hosed sitting this playthrough out until 2500 though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DoctorTristan posted:

Well, that extra dimensional invasion lasted for all of the two months it took to get four of my fleets into the portal system. Don’t think I can be hosed be hosed sitting this playthrough out until 2500 though.

The playthrough's over when you say it's over

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The playthrough's over when you say it's over

Guess we all decide our own victory conditions

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

DoctorTristan posted:

Remember to crank up crisis strength to something silly to keep endgame interesting.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Dev Diary 187 with a bit more info on the necroids.
Also Jeff(?) makes a partial appearance.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So there will be armies unaffected by morale loss, because spiritual ascension isn't lame enough for Paradox yet.

Edit: quoting this so I can find it later:

Jazerus posted:

expanded stellaris traditions is the closest you'll get. i generally find that they are slightly weaker than the really good vanilla trees like expansion, discovery, diplo, & supremacy, but better than the bad ones like harmony, so i think that means they're in a good place. the companion mod, expanded stellaris perks, is a bit less balanced but it does add some fun stuff.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

The origin seems nice but it also sounds micromanag-ey.

As if we didn't have enough of that to deal with...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Torrannor posted:

So there will be armies unaffected by morale loss, because spiritual ascension isn't lame enough for Paradox yet.

Pretty sure these already existed in robots and xeno swarm armies

This origin kinda feels like a worse Driven Assimilator. Halved food consumption is nice, but it would take a LOT to make up for -75% pop growth speed, and I don't think that's enough.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

And Tyler Too! posted:

Remember to crank up crisis strength to something silly to keep endgame interesting.

Questions on this - the crisis strength multiplier makes the individual crisis ships stronger, doesn’t it? Does it do this by giving them a shitload of the endgame +5% techs? So is it better to build fleets around weapons that ignore shields/armour to negate part of that advantage?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I don't think it uses techs to do it, but yeah, you should always be building your ships to negate the strengths of the crisis you're fighting.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Gort posted:

This origin kinda feels like a worse Driven Assimilator. Halved food consumption is nice, but it would take a LOT to make up for -75% pop growth speed, and I don't think that's enough.

You're probably going to want to have another species grow the vast majority of the time. The -20% from pop controls isn't the end of the world. The primitives in your guaranteed planets seem very nice, since conquering them is faster than colonizing and much cheaper. Culture shock will be a problem of course, but it's only 10 years. Past that the extra pops should be a very nice boost to your early game.

DoctorTristan posted:

Questions on this - the crisis strength multiplier makes the individual crisis ships stronger, doesn’t it? Does it do this by giving them a shitload of the endgame +5% techs? So is it better to build fleets around weapons that ignore shields/armour to negate part of that advantage?

Pretty sure they get the same modifier to shields, armor, hull, and weapon damage. But e.g. unbidden have no armor and significantly more shields than hull.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gort posted:

It'd be a fine if pop growth wasn't one at a time, but enjoy a single leader pop cockblocking planet growth for eleven years
Also:

AnEdgelord posted:

as far as the future of content for stellaris goes though, I would rather they put out these small species and story packs while they put more work into the technical side of the game and/or stellaris 2, mostly because I worry that any big expansion with a bunch of new features is only going to make the game worse by shoving a bunch more systems that don't interact with each other into the game
What if the small species packs also add a bunch more systems that don't interact with each other into the game?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 9, 2020

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Kinda surprised nobody mentioned this yet:

Zombie Rocks...?

Also wouldn't those guys have basically negative growth speed? lol

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yami Fenrir posted:

Kinda surprised nobody mentioned this yet:

Zombie Rocks...?

Also wouldn't those guys have basically negative growth speed? lol
Assuming a negative growth rate means you will never be picked as a growable pop that kind of makes them the pro choice

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Splicer posted:

Assuming a negative growth rate means you will never be picked as a growable pop that kind of makes them the pro choice

Fairly sure it doesn't, after all your Void Dwellers just LOVE growing on relic worlds and ecumenopolis. It's likely habitability based.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yami Fenrir posted:

Fairly sure it doesn't, after all your Void Dwellers just LOVE growing on relic worlds and ecumenopolis. It's likely habitability based.
Negative as in less than 0, like -125%

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gort posted:

Yep. Here have this cool and powerful psionic troop. Oh and robots are immune to them. Oh and gene warrior are so powerful the morale damage doesn't matter. And everyone can get these other troops which are also immune anyway.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Kinda bullshit that the "turn other species into your own" origin is unavailable to Hive Minds imo.

Torrannor posted:

This could be offset by psi ascension enabling the recruitment of paladin armies with Turn Undead :v:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Splicer posted:

Negative as in less than 0, like -125%

Oh, right.

Well, I would not be surprised whatsoever if they still attempted to grow.

Because Paradox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

GunnerJ posted:

Kinda bullshit that the "turn other species into your own" origin is unavailable to Hive Minds imo.

This could be offset by psi ascension enabling the recruitment of paladin armies with Turn Undead :v:

Funnily enough, if you think about it this is just a way worse version of the stuff that hivemind mod (Forgotten queens or something) adds.