Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

SardonicTyrant posted:

Robby will be sitting in a jail cell next to Stingray, "I wasn't kicking children, I was applying for a job as school security"

Stingray as a character was dumb but very much worth it for his 15 seconds in the final fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The Karate Kid was fundamentally about class and Daniel was definitely not the privileged one.

Otherwise, I agree with every word you said and it was some brilliant stuff.

Yeah definitely. While Daniel is well off now, he was never as rich as Allie and Johnny (remember the spaghetti scene), Daniel's mom was never as poor as Miguel despite them living in the same apartment complex that Daniel had his teen years in.

IIRC Daniel's mom was a computer programmer or some sort of IT professional back in the early 80s. You don't relocate across the country for a minimal wage job.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

waah posted:

Yeah definitely. While Daniel is well off now, he was never as rich as Allie and Johnny (remember the spaghetti scene), Daniel's mom was never as poor as Miguel despite them living in the same apartment complex that Daniel had his teen years in.

IIRC Daniel's mom was a computer programmer or some sort of IT professional back in the early 80s. You don't relocate across the country for a minimal wage job.
This is a Cobra Kai invention, but it doesn’t seem like Johnny was rich for that long. His mom married a rich guy, but I don’t think they had money before that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fritzler posted:

This is a Cobra Kai invention, but it doesn’t seem like Johnny was rich for that long. His mom married a rich guy, but I don’t think they had money before that.

It's pretty clear in the show all that money came with having a rear end in a top hat stepdad who treated him like poo poo.

There's no way of knowing when it went bad but Johnny ending up as a contractor/handyman probably means he either didn't have any college aspirations or his stepdad kicked him out at 18 and he had to make his way.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fritzler posted:

The first flick was about the poor kid living in a shithole with an empty pool being taught karate by an immigrant for free while his bully was a popular rich kid with, theoretically, the best karate teacher money could buy.

I loving love that they've reversed their fortunes. It makes for a more interesting and nuanced series while still commenting on class and social status.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I mean I'm just glad Robby gets to go heel.

Look at fuckin' robby and tell me he dosn't have grade A villain potential. I want him to go full apeshit next season.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

waah posted:

She takes a job as a manager in training at a diner because evidently the benefits are better than whatever her IT job was going to offer. The 80s were crazy.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

if I was casting hocksetter or whatever that actors name is, robby. He'd be the olympic level karate sadist final boss. He looks way too strong and villainous to be down in it with the rest of the cast.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The first flick was about the poor kid living in a shithole with an empty pool being taught karate by an immigrant for free while his bully was a popular rich kid with, theoretically, the best karate teacher money could buy.

I loving love that they've reversed their fortunes. It makes for a more interesting and nuanced series while still commenting on class and social status.

Yes. It's a small thing that only comes up sometimes, but I appreciate how Daniel's victim mindset from his youth blinds him to the extreme socioeconomic power he now has. He wields his privilege like a weapon, but his teenage bias against Cobra Kai makes him feel fully justified. "Cobra Kai are bullies! I'm going to use my business connections to predatorily jack up their rent! I'm going to use my personal wealth to operate Miyagi-Do at a loss just to shut Johnny down!" Like, that's a page out of Wal-Mart's playbook, but his self-identity as a poor Jersey kid supersedes all of it.

It's also something I believe is truthful of a lot of real world wealth. "I came from nothing and earned all I have, so there's no way my current perspective is warped!" Some of the most aggressively conservative positions I've heard on topics of social privilege came from people who view themselves as self-made. "Sure, I'm [white or male or straight], or maybe benefitted from generational circumstance to [get an education for cheap / invest in the market at the right time], but dammit: I had to fight for every penny!"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Chef's kiss over all this.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I mean as lovely as Dimitri is I kinda like him for being a character whose soul purpose is highlighting the pernicious aspects of nerd culture and saying it loud and in no uncertain terms, He's comfort obsessed, depressed and generally not looking to become a better person or progress at all in any way despite the challenges being both laid on him and the obvious good things happening to those around him he straight up can't be moved.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I just watched the show and to me, one of its biggest strengths is making me at least care about characters that I dislike or annoy me (except Yasmine and Kyler, gently caress those assholes).

I was surprised by how much I like Robby and was anticipating his bad egg moment after all the training was to steal something. I really like that he has the Lawrence misguided heart thing going on but with his own issues to boot.

Kreese is such a wonderfully disgusting rear end in a top hat. You can see how even though Johnny is rough around the edges (moreso at first with his "oh great, more immigrants" mindset) he does try to do better. Yes he's susceptible to poo poo like dinosaurs building the pyramids but the man is making an effort. From the moment Kreese gives his first sob story I knew he was bad news. His lies, his manipulation, even picking fights in the homeless shelter. But underneath all that is a very very broken man. I think the show did a great job of making you empathize to some degree with his clear psychological issues and traumatic past (however much of it is true) while reminding you that sometimes it's in everyone's interest to stay far away from those kinds of people.

Dimitri is a big pain in the rear end, but oh boy do I want them to carve him into something special. I've known and even have been that whiny kid who finds any excuse to nitpick or avoid doing absolutely anything. It's insufferable. But even Daniel for all his faults recognizes it takes some people longer than others to realise things...kinda like him getting over his vendettas against Cobra Kai. There's hope for Dimitri yet. He reminds me of the tall geeky kid with the glasses from Freaks and Geeks - apparently they were gonna make him go the route of becoming the unlikely athlete much like Hawk did, without all the insanity of course. Here's to Dimitri getting his poo poo together and not being such a pussy.

I know a lot of people dislike Sam but in many ways she reminds me of her dad's position in the first movie. She's more well off, of course, but she's hotheaded and makes bad decisions like her dad did because for all of her advantages she still falls prey to the immature need to feel popular. Also like Daniel she really gets into one-upmanship which is the source of many of her problems. Unfortunately her parents have indirectly enabled a lot of her worst tendencies, like with her mom not really giving her poo poo for the party but then blaming her for the whole season's worth of trouble when she finds out about the car. I swing back and forth on Amanda because while she is the voice of reason I don't think she's noticed Daniel's old wounds about Miyagi-san dying are what's driving a lot of his own issues. He's clearly not over it, he just buried it so long in his gimmicky business while failing as a mentor to his own overprivileged brat of a son.

I think Tory's full of poo poo about coming from a poor background. She seems to only make reference to it when she's bitching at Sam about this or that, and with her predisposition to manipulating people I wouldn't be surprised if she has a whole story made up to justify things like stealing the vodka. Now maybe I'm horrendously wrong about this and her life is a lot like Johnny's was, but I think that'd be too convenient. It's okay to have someone who flips out when they don't get what they want just because they're an rear end in a top hat. I'd like to see them explore her a bit further, especially with the consequences of what happened in the last episode. If she comes from nothing I don't see how they won't pin the whole melee on her, then throw the book at her to get that menace away from all the rich people's cushy lives.

My man Johnny has a long road ahead of him and I can't wait to see how he faces it. This is way worse than having your girl stolen or your car torched.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Rewatching the original film, had forgotten the line from Miyagi about there being no bad students, only bad teachers. Adult Daniel again missing the lessons given to him by Miyagi, Johnny was never the problem. Kreese was. By constantly antagonizing Johnny and refusing to make peace with his past, Daniel basically drives his old rival right back into the arms of the real enemy.

Plus, Daniel keeps loving up his own teaching, which reflects in the actions of his students. Miyagi trained him so that he could be safe. Daniel taught his students so that they could be able to fight Cobra Kai kids. Of course their actions would always be tainted, no matter how much he tried to talk the talk about not instigating.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's nice to see how receptive Johnny is to Miguel's feedback. He comes off as this out of touch Macho has-been but he does grudgingly go along with many suggestions - I mean look how quick he is to accept women into Cobra Kai. And when his own teachings start to form contradictions he walks them back; being ruthless doesn't do you any good if you get disqualified from tournaments.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

The Golden Gael posted:

I think Tory's full of poo poo about coming from a poor background. She seems to only make reference to it when she's bitching at Sam about this or that, and with her predisposition to manipulating people I wouldn't be surprised if she has a whole story made up to justify things like stealing the vodka. Now maybe I'm horrendously wrong about this and her life is a lot like Johnny's was, but I think that'd be too convenient. It's okay to have someone who flips out when they don't get what they want just because they're an rear end in a top hat. I'd like to see them explore her a bit further, especially with the consequences of what happened in the last episode. If she comes from nothing I don't see how they won't pin the whole melee on her, then throw the book at her to get that menace away from all the rich people's cushy lives.

I duinno, I think it'd undermine some of the core themes if Tory was totally full of poo poo. Every characters got a grey area even the real bad ones like hawk. I think they're saving the 'Actually, this person is just pure poo poo and all their redeeming qualities are lies' for Kreese.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Just binged the series over the weekend and I really enjoyed it though I thought S2 was considerably weaker. My only hope going forward is that the writing improves and They bring back Aishia in future seasons, I really liked her character

Also Butter Failson > Stingray. gently caress, I hated that character except for when he was struggling to open the door with his Edward 40hands getup.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Aishia is such a great character. In the lunchroom fight her cry of NO MERCY is so good. Nerds tired of being bullied speaks to a lot of us.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Just watched the show over the last week or so

I do think s1 was quite a bit more fun than s2 though. Take a shithead character like Johnny Lawrence and watch him try to make good, that's enjoyable. Not quite as sure what was fun about s2 and this isn't, like, some prestige drama or something. Everything can't be happy all the time but I don't know if it ever had a big feel good moment.

I liked Stingray. Barely took any screen time and was solely comic relief which was fine.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'd say the best part of this show is making plain old karate look really, really good.

Also, I'm pretty sure the problem with sam is that the story is trying to convey that she's not as good a person as she acts. Basically she's got the cobra kai mentality. It's pretty obvious when you realize that during the school fight all the Cobras are wearing red and all the Miyagis are wearing blue....except sam, whose wearing purple. I love color coding.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 30, 2020

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'd say the best part of this show is making plain old karate look really, really good.
They do show a lot of "pure" karate - the stuff I learned as a yellow and green belt, even as the instructors told us "you'd never use this in an actual fight".

Cobra Kai stuck with the 80's pop culture mythology of karate: it trumps everything else, and the guy/girl who knows karate will automatically beat an unlimited number of opponents who don't, risk-free.

It's cool that the show stuck with that premise because it fits the theme, but there's definitely some suspension of disbelief required. People are throwing a bunch of spinning jump kicks and stuff, rather than techniques that would be way more effective in a real fight (and stuff they also teach you in a real-world karate class).

It's not a criticism of the show; I just think it's interesting watching with a (supremely) amateur martial arts background.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I seriously dislike the "simply stand on one hand to kick them with both feet" thing. Even if it's not a real move, it should be actually doable, it's not fun when you know the guy is getting held up in a harness.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's still better than that stupid drum punch thing from the second movie. What a dumb move. Even dumber than the crane kick, which was already stupid but at least believable as a last ditch "wtf?" kind of move in a tournament.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Thoroughly enjoyed it and looking forward to season 3. Season 1 was better but I liked how everything that happened in season 2 seemed to be a mirror image of things in season 1, really clever writing in general. I'm hoping for a super team-up of Johnny and Daniel against Creese.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
We finally have a date for season 3. January 8th.
https://twitter.com/jonhurwitz/status/1312074870612660224?s=21

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it i need it now

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Netflix already greenlit S4?

They really jump on anything popular with both feet don't they.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I have no idea what they'll have left to tell for a season 4.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

pentyne posted:

Netflix already greenlit S4?

They really jump on anything popular with both feet don't they.
Netflix usually cancels shows after three seasons, but in this case they didn't pay to produce the first two seasons, Youtube did, so that's probably why.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Aw, came here to post that link but beaten to the punch. Was really hoping for Season 3 this year, but I guess I'll take the Season 4 confirmation as a consolation prize. Apparently it's been doing pretty well for Netflix, been at #2 and #3 most watched through August and September.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Netflix usually cancels shows after three seasons, but in this case they didn't pay to produce the first two seasons, Youtube did, so that's probably why.

This, but also they'll gladly greenlight a show past a 3rd season if it's popular enough. I'm sure Stranger Things is astronomically more expensive now than it was, but it's still going. And it's an effects-heavy period piece whose cast is blowing up. A 30-minute dramedy shot mostly in the Valley, starring a handful of CW-looking teenagers and two 50-somethings known only for some 80's movies, is probably dirt-cheap by comparison. Making 2 more seasons of that right out of the gate makes a lot of sense.

They never release data, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cobra Kai is one of Netflix's biggest shows in a while. It's low-investment, mostly a comedy, and has huge cross-generational appeal.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's staggering how many people are just finding out about it simply because it's no longer hidden away on Youtube.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MiddleOne posted:

It's staggering how many people are just finding out about it simply because it's no longer hidden away on Youtube.

I tried for a little over two years to get people to watch this. The conversation usually went like this.

Me "hey, if you're looking for something to watch you should watch Cobra Kai. It's a continuation of Karate Kid and is good."
Friend "cool, where do I watch it?"
Me "It's on YouTube's pay service, but you can get a free trial and cancel after watching all the episodes"
Friend "Wait, pay for youtube? Why would anyone do that. I'm just going to watch something else"

Now that it's on netflix it goes like this.

Me "hey, you should watch that Cobra Kai show I told you about. It's on Netflix now"
Friend "Cool, I'll give it a shot"
a few hours later
Friend "Thanks for the recommendation, this show is great"

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Spacebump posted:

I tried for a little over two years to get people to watch this. The conversation usually went like this.

Me "hey, if you're looking for something to watch you should watch Cobra Kai. It's a continuation of Karate Kid and is good."
Me "It's on YouTube's pay service, but you can get a free trial and cancel after watching all the episodes"
Friend "Wait, pay for youtube? Why would anyone do that. I'm just going to watch something else"

Me "hey, you should watch that Cobra Kai show I told you about. It's on Netflix now"
a few hours later

Not empty quoting but agreeing

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Spacebump posted:

a few hours later
This is how I watched the first season.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Was Wayne any good? I kept seeing ads for it on Youtube and it looked cool.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Season 3 was already done filming well before the show went to Netflix, so the investment on Netflix’s part is smaller than it might appear. Securing a fourth season was part of the reason the show moved to Netflix: Youtube moved away from premium originals and was only willing to air one more season.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

SardonicTyrant posted:

Was Wayne any good? I kept seeing ads for it on Youtube and it looked cool.

Wayne is fan-loving-tastic. Watch it!

I'm sooo pissed it didn't get picked up for more seasons.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Sio posted:

Season 3 was already done filming well before the show went to Netflix, so the investment on Netflix’s part is smaller than it might appear.

We have no idea what they paid for the show. There were other suitors so it could easily have been as expensive as producing the seasons themselves.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Norwegian Rudo posted:

We have no idea what they paid for the show. There were other suitors so it could easily have been as expensive as producing the seasons themselves.

We don’t need to be privy to the numbers because this isn’t a matter of absolute expense: there’s an intrinsic difference in transaction between acquiring a season that’s in the can and renewing a show for future production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I have no idea what they'll have left to tell for a season 4.

I'm expecting Kyler I think his name was? (The bully dude from S1) to wind up under Kreese's wing and come out as the new CK bad guy looking for payback.

I binged through the first 2 seasons and agree with everyone else. S1 was better than S2 but the whole thing is strangely addictive and somehow avoids being so corny it's stupid with the way it leans into its 80's cheesiness and its use of humor.

I thought the CK kids turning on Johnny was a hard sell too but I bought it once I remembered how they felt betrayed by Johnny softening his stance that they see as leading Miguel to get hosed up. William Zabka really carries this show. I don't know what kind of range he has but he's really good here and I hope he picks up more work.

I don't have much more to add since most everything has been said other than I was getting really weird uncanny valley vibes looking at the actor who played Kreese. God, his freaky plastic surgery/botox face looked loving weird to me.