Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
*picardishly*

there! are! four! archetypes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I never want to look at a Lucky Clover or that smug rear end in a top hat Innkeeper ever again tbqh

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I played in the FNM@Home event tonight since they started going up earlier and

holy

poo poo

STANDARD IS SO BAD

I dunno how anyone is able to play it right now. I had been mostly playing limited or Historic where things aren't so broken but goddamn. How can anyone look at this and think its fine?

I used a 4C Omnath deck because well, that's the meta and every game (save one) was just me against different variants of 4C Omnath and they all took forever.

Shoutout to the one guy running Dimir Rogues though, it was a pretty neat deck and the only one I failed to beat because he was maindecking Necromentia and exiled all my Omnaths before I could cast them and then did the same with all my Escape to the Wilds a few turns later which basically turned my deck into 4C Adventures which just didn't work out great.

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 9, 2020

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

ex post facho posted:

*picardishly*

there! are! four! archetypes!

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

I thought I was hot stuff shooting up to platinum in limited the first week of the season after having not played at all since the return to ravnica block, but now I've been stuck at plat 4 for a few days and my last four drafts I've gone 2-3 or 3-3. I probably should stop playing draft for the day after I lose two matches in a row due to play mistakes, because I can definitely feel myself getting tilted.

It's good to be back though :getin:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

MelancholyMark posted:

I thought I was hot stuff shooting up to platinum in limited the first week of the season after having not played at all since the return to ravnica block, but now I've been stuck at plat 4 for a few days and my last four drafts I've gone 2-3 or 3-3. I probably should stop playing draft for the day after I lose two matches in a row due to play mistakes, because I can definitely feel myself getting tilted.

It's good to be back though :getin:

Everyone shoots up to Plat. You get two upticks for every win and only one downtick for every loss, plus 3 free downticks per rank.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The rummage is the best part, everything else is just gravy. Being a 1/3 two-drop is huge in this format given the prevalence of Bonecrusher Giant and getting to see 3 cards a turn with an active Magchan on top of giving you more ammo for Tyms/Kroxa/Ox is super good and makes the deck way way smoother and more responsive to play. You're not trying to rush out a 4/4 beater, the 4/4 part is just a really nice way to accelerate your clock after you've already run your opponent out of gas

Shade is decent against control decks and Rogues but there's barely any control around right now and you should not need the help against Rogues in Game 1. Nighthawk is IMO a mediocre card with no meaningful synergy with the deck but try it if you're really convinced

Nighthawk is not really the best, yes, but the minor synergy it has is when you are forcing your opp to discard his hand, then their graveyard will fill up with all types of stuff, thus Nighthawk gets bigger & improving the clock significantly. Kinda eh, I know hah.

Anyway I do get what you mean. Just 1 question though, how are you teching against Adventures if there are a shitton of those in my local meta? Just put 4 Shredded Sails + small removals in the deck and call it a day? The reason I ask is Adventures is the only deck archetype that is consistently beating me now, and unlike Feed the Swarm, the floor of Shredded Sails is "just" 2 mana draw 1 against non-Adventures stuff, not even a proper unit removal. So can't really maindeck it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

axeil posted:

I played in the FNM@Home event tonight since they started going up earlier and

holy

poo poo

STANDARD IS SO BAD

I dunno how anyone is able to play it right now. I had been mostly playing limited or Historic where things aren't so broken but goddamn. How can anyone look at this and think its fine?

I used a 4C Omnath deck because well, that's the meta and every game (save one) was just me against different variants of 4C Omnath and they all took forever.

Shoutout to the one guy running Dimir Rogues though, it was a pretty neat deck and the only one I failed to beat because he was maindecking Necromentia and exiled all my Omnaths before I could cast them and then did the same with all my Escape to the Wilds a few turns later which basically turned my deck into 4C Adventures which just didn't work out great.

Your problem is that you're playing top tier meta. MTG Arena, even with events, will generally match you against decks of equivalent power. Nobody really knows how it works but if you're playing Omnath, you're going to see mostly Omnath and Rogues. If you play jank, you'll see jank. For this event I played a mono-B Lurrus deck focusing on enchantments with Eidolon and Aphemia, adding Archfiend's Vessel and Call for some late game beats. Will it beat Omnath? No. But I've done a ton of dailies with it, never seen Omnath, and it's fun to play.

It's basically all cards I had, not sure what if anything from Zendikar is even in there. I'm sure it could be improved but for now it does the trick.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

Your problem is that you're playing top tier meta. MTG Arena, even with events, will generally match you against decks of equivalent power. Nobody really knows how it works but if you're playing Omnath, you're going to see mostly Omnath and Rogues. If you play jank, you'll see jank. For this event I played a mono-B Lurrus deck focusing on enchantments with Eidolon and Aphemia, adding Archfiend's Vessel and Call for some late game beats. Will it beat Omnath? No. But I've done a ton of dailies with it, never seen Omnath, and it's fun to play.

It's basically all cards I had, not sure what if anything from Zendikar is even in there. I'm sure it could be improved but for now it does the trick.

This is the ideal, but as someone who plays jank a lot I assure you it is far less cut and dried than this and you will end up against top-tier decks even if you play jank, or at least approximations of top-tier decks. Also, the MMR loves matching you against the same type of deck over and over and over again. I made a Kroxa's evangel deck back in TBD that I played for fun and I think like two-thirds of my matches were against the same drat selesnya enchantments deck whenever I queued with it, for like months.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
Anyone up for another draft critique? This was a quick draft that went 7-1, but definitely wasn't sure about a lot of the picks.

draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/9ad6de99dbb5448f98a204d227e1707f
pool: https://www.17lands.com/pool/9ad6de99dbb5448f98a204d227e1707f
deck: https://www.17lands.com/deck/9ad6de99dbb5448f98a204d227e1707f

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Omnath Adventures being the top deck but a loving near 50% margin is a sign we're gonna see a Clover and/or Innkeeper ban I think.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Rimusutera posted:

Omnath Adventures being the top deck but a loving near 50% margin is a sign we're gonna see a Clover and/or Innkeeper ban I think.

It'll be Clover before Innkeeper. Creature removal is far more common in maindeck than artifact removal, and Innkeeper dies to literally anything as a 1/1.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I'll be sad because Clover makes my adventure decks that aren't top-tier actually viable, like adventure knights.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Omnath is definitely the problem, adventures is just the shell he fits in best.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I rarely support just banning one problem card when a format seems totally hosed, but I really do want to see what the format looks like once Omnath is gone. I think Adventures may still be the strongest deck but I think it'll be beatable and there will be strong answers.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

The Fool posted:

Clover being legendary would be the perfect solution
This would be great.

If you could at least counter clovered spells without having to counter the copies, that might be good enough.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really don’t understand why people are acting like Adventure decks become unplayable if clover is banned and not merely still one of the best archetypes with the best interaction and value creatures in the format...

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

srulz posted:

Nighthawk is not really the best, yes, but the minor synergy it has is when you are forcing your opp to discard his hand, then their graveyard will fill up with all types of stuff, thus Nighthawk gets bigger & improving the clock significantly. Kinda eh, I know hah.

Anyway I do get what you mean. Just 1 question though, how are you teching against Adventures if there are a shitton of those in my local meta? Just put 4 Shredded Sails + small removals in the deck and call it a day? The reason I ask is Adventures is the only deck archetype that is consistently beating me now, and unlike Feed the Swarm, the floor of Shredded Sails is "just" 2 mana draw 1 against non-Adventures stuff, not even a proper unit removal. So can't really maindeck it.

There isn't a magic trick to beating Omnathventures, it's a better deck. They're going to overpower you if they have good draws and there's not much you can do about it, so mostly I just try to make sure I'm able to punish them if their draws are shaky with maindeck Agonizing Remorse/Inscription. I have a maindeck Sails too, and thinking about adding a second. Cycling for 2 while being pretty good against most of the popular decks is very useful

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I used to play Golgari Adventures a while back and I always liked Innkeeper over Clover. Being able to recur him with Order of Midnight & Find // Finality was extra grindy value.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bust Rodd posted:

I really don’t understand why people are acting like Adventure decks become unplayable if clover is banned and not merely still one of the best archetypes with the best interaction and value creatures in the format...

because their 3 or 4 for 1s go down to being merely 2 for 1s like every other playable card in standard

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

It wouldn't be absolutely unplayable or something, but it'd be a huge hit. One of the reasons I find the deck unsatisfying to run (pre-Omnath and now) is that it feels like winning/losing so often comes down to how many clovers you draw. When you don't draw any the deck is not great - I have to think it's Tier 2 or 3.

Naturally Bonecrusher and Borrower would still get played - but if people still ran Innkeepers, I think it'd be part of a very different Gruul shell or something.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
So what's legal in the non-descript "Play" queue? I just saw my opponent use a Murder and realized that the starter mono-color decks aren't Standard legal either.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pvt. Parts posted:

So what's legal in the non-descript "Play" queue? I just saw my opponent use a Murder and realized that the starter mono-color decks aren't Standard legal either.

If you queue up with a standard-legal deck it'll pair you with another standard deck. If you queue up with a card only legal in Historic, you will get a Historic game. I think once you get past the new-player experience queue, that's all the filtering there is.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Pvt. Parts posted:

Any card in the arena beginner set (searchable via s:ANB in arena) is treated as evergreen legal in standard Bo1, including the play queue, standard ranked queue, the brawl queue, and today's FNM standard queue.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

BioThermo posted:

Any card in the arena beginner set (searchable via s:ANB in arena) is treated as evergreen legal in standard Bo1, including the play queue, standard ranked queue, the brawl queue, and today's FNM standard queue.

Huh, explains a lot, thanks. Kinda weird but ok.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

rakdos midrange is real fun

im on michael jacobs tweaked list and its been a blast, only matchup that feels bad is aggro but im sure someone will write something condescending about this take about the deck

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I play an aggro deck, so I'm a fan of other decks being weak to me

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the aggro matches were the most fun too, because they were super close and on review came down to some close decisions or running top decks after stabilizing

its real interactive magic, and its good

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Man, Lucky Clover being Legendary would make such thematic sense and would probably bring it into line nicely as well.

Also, can I just say that Scryfall is such a good site that I find myself browsing cards just because? Seriously a fun site to use.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Share Bear posted:

im on michael jacobs tweaked list and its been a blast, only matchup that feels bad is aggro but im sure someone will write something condescending about this take about the deck

What did you tweak? I'm pretty close to having everything for his deck and most of the cards I'm missing I wouldn't mind crafting anyway.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've unpacked my third omnath and I have no interest in playing him.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Share Bear posted:

I like the Yurrus version against aggro. It doesn't always come together but Fireblade Charger will trade or better against most of their threats and if you get Call of the Death-Dweller, they have no profitable ways to deal with your demon without Embercleave. Mire Triton is, of course, a super-star but it really helps to have those one-drops gumming up the works early.

edit: I mean mostly against mono-red aggro. I think all the Rakdos lists are shockingly bad against weird off-meta aggro like Selesnya counters, mostly because they snowball and Heartless Act is bad there. Scavenging Ooze, Tymaret and even less common grave-eaters also wreck your poo poo.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 9, 2020

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It may not be high in the meta nowadays but I do enjoy being able to play Izzet Phoenix again in historic. Kinda curious about Grixis Phoenix but I don't have the wildcards for Thoughtsieze and the requisite duals.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

What did you tweak? I'm pretty close to having everything for his deck and most of the cards I'm missing I wouldn't mind crafting anyway.

i got it from his stream on tuesday before decks were due, the final list is here https://magic.gg/news/2020-season-grand-finals-standard-decklists

code:
Deck
2 Murderous Rider
2 Spikefield Hazard
2 Hagra Mauling
4 Fabled Passage
4 Tymaret Calls the Dead
4 Temple of Malice
1 Inscription of Ruin
3 Rankle, Master of Pranks
1 Elspeth's Nightmare
4 Agonizing Remorse
4 Magmatic Channeler
2 Liliana, Waker of the Dead
4 Bonecrusher Giant
1 Mire Triton
4 Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger
2 Castle Locthwain
2 Heartless Act
3 Mountain
1 Bloodchief's Thirst
3 Shatterskull Smashing
6 Swamp
1 Savai Triome

Sideboard
2 Skyclave Shade
2 Soul-Guide Lantern
2 Shredded Sails
1 Extinction Event
1 Feed the Swarm
1 Embereth Shieldbreaker
2 Sorcerous Spyglass
2 Ox of Agonas
2 Scorching Dragonfire
you would rearrange this based on what you believe the meta is, also if you want to jam it in bo1, but that's the general list

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

edit: I mean mostly against mono-red aggro. I think all the Rakdos lists are shockingly bad against weird off-meta aggro like Selesnya counters, mostly because they snowball and Heartless Act is bad there. Scavenging Ooze, Tymaret and even less common grave-eaters also wreck your poo poo.

yeah i found it was worse against go wide strategies whereas mono R or mono W was a bit closer

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I haven't struggled at all vs aggro with it but MJ's list is selling out to try to fight the Omnath decks he correctly expected to infest the tournament meta rather than tuning it for general ladder play

Unfortunately the tournament coverage I glanced in on made it sound like the Rakdos decks are getting rinsed anyway :smith: saddened but not at all surprised

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

I haven't struggled at all vs aggro with it but MJ's list is selling out to try to fight the Omnath decks he correctly expected to infest the tournament meta rather than tuning it for general ladder play

Unfortunately the tournament coverage I glanced in on made it sound like the Rakdos decks are getting rinsed anyway :smith: saddened but not at all surprised

congrats btw i just posted this without reading the several hundred posts in between last time i checked, i just scrolled back and saw your success with it in a diff config

edit: i also agree that Agadeem's Awakening isn't that great in it

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 9, 2020

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The Fool posted:

I've unpacked my third omnath and I have no interest in playing him.

Good news he's probably going to get juiced into mythic WCs like a big ol orange

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

There isn't a magic trick to beating Omnathventures, it's a better deck. They're going to overpower you if they have good draws and there's not much you can do about it, so mostly I just try to make sure I'm able to punish them if their draws are shaky with maindeck Agonizing Remorse/Inscription. I have a maindeck Sails too, and thinking about adding a second. Cycling for 2 while being pretty good against most of the popular decks is very useful

Understood. I already have 2 Inscription in main, and while they've felt good, I guess trimming on the removals & Inscription to put in 4x Remorses main should be better I think, since they're targeted discards & can be emergency graveyard removals as well.

Share Bear posted:

i got it from his stream on tuesday before decks were due, the final list is here https://magic.gg/news/2020-season-grand-finals-standard-decklists

code:
Deck
2 Murderous Rider
2 Spikefield Hazard
2 Hagra Mauling
4 Fabled Passage
4 Tymaret Calls the Dead
4 Temple of Malice
1 Inscription of Ruin
3 Rankle, Master of Pranks
1 Elspeth's Nightmare
4 Agonizing Remorse
4 Magmatic Channeler
2 Liliana, Waker of the Dead
4 Bonecrusher Giant
1 Mire Triton
4 Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger
2 Castle Locthwain
2 Heartless Act
3 Mountain
1 Bloodchief's Thirst
3 Shatterskull Smashing
6 Swamp
1 Savai Triome

Sideboard
2 Skyclave Shade
2 Soul-Guide Lantern
2 Shredded Sails
1 Extinction Event
1 Feed the Swarm
1 Embereth Shieldbreaker
2 Sorcerous Spyglass
2 Ox of Agonas
2 Scorching Dragonfire
you would rearrange this based on what you believe the meta is, also if you want to jam it in bo1, but that's the general list

Hey thanks for this. So the latest would be the list on the website, right? That 4 Duress + 2 Remorse is very interesting to me. Duress has felt good TBH since we have a lot more spells now in maindecks thanks to MDFC's.

srulz fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Ani posted:

Anyone up for another draft critique? This was a quick draft that went 7-1, but definitely wasn't sure about a lot of the picks.

draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/9ad6de99dbb5448f98a204d227e1707f
pool: https://www.17lands.com/pool/9ad6de99dbb5448f98a204d227e1707f
deck: https://www.17lands.com/deck/9ad6de99dbb5448f98a204d227e1707f

P1P4: I like Gnarlid Colony a little better here. Our blue cards are not strong signals, and riptide is real bad if the cycling deck is not open. Colony is a hedge, it's still going to be good if we do end up in cycling, and we can pair it with our rare if we get forced into a different direction.
P1P5: Apologies, you clearly looked into the future before making your last pick lol.
P1P6: Now we know we're going to be in the cycling deck, which makes Murasa Sproutling much much better than an mdfc.
P1P9: I don't like maindecking spell shield in a kicker deck. Since this is bo1, I'd rather have the ascetic. We probably don't play either card but it's possible we have a hole in our 5 mana slot.
P2P7: Same as P1P9. I can't imagine wanting two spell sheilds.
P2P8: Do we even want Vastwood Surge? We don't have any payoffs for ramping or splashing, so this just seems like an expensive way to put some counters on our stuff. Not sure if we play the Seafloor Stalker but it's a solid common.

Going to summarize all of pack 3 in one tip. Looking at your pool going into p3, we have 3 creatures at two mana or less (and to be fair jwari disruption sort of counts). Blightblade is fine, but we really don't want to be actually casting gnarlid or roilmage unkicked. This leaves us with a large hole in our 2-drop slot that you ignored, passing the squid and multiple blightblades. Bo1 leans aggressive so this is a big problem. I'd go so far as saying that I'd rather take the squid over the falconer in p3p1. Falconer is big and powerful, but your deck already has big and powerful things and you won't get to cast those things if your opponent kills you first.