Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Mr X folds the helicopter debris and raises it over his head with one arm and raises the peoples eyebrow at rookie officer Leon Kennedy, camera zooming in. Counter cut to Leon panicking and going for the headshot but only uproots X's hat. Mr Johnson hardens his scowl and advances at a brisk walk as trumpets swell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vikar Jerome posted:

heres your new resident evil film reboot cast

thats in order from left to right, claire redfield, chris redfield, jill valentine, albert wesker, leon s kennedy, and ....william berkin. i actually think mcdonaugh would have a made a cool wesker myself but what do i know.

very interested to hear in the opinions of the internet at large on the casting of jill valentine and leon, im sure they will be very welcoming and cool opinions. right? yeah, im not even gonna look.
Not that it matters exactly how she looks, but her picture on IMDB seems pretty Jill-like.

Tom Hopper on the other hand is big enough that I'm worried we're gonna have flashback Wesker turn into present day Mr. X which is just Tom Hopper with different makeup and no hair.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's a much better shot, certainly. It makes her look less like an orange-painted skull.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Think how much sPoOoKiEr it'd be if Jill had a terrifying :spooky: head though

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Gonna kind of miss how endearing the "Mila Jovovich's husband just makes a bunch of movies to make her wife look badass" movies, but I'm not expecting a good video game movie here either way

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Gonna kind of miss how endearing the "Mila Jovovich's husband just makes a bunch of movies to make her wife look badass" movies, but I'm not expecting a good video game movie here either way
I mean, he’s still doing that, just a new franchise.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man now I see why the ladies love Carlos, just LOOK at dat rear end

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
That casting is less offensive to me than the description of the netflix RE thing, but I guess that isn't saying much

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
gently caress this final nemesis

Fuuuuuckkkk

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
It's still the same lovely schlock factory production company that made the previous execrable movies so my expectations couldn't be lower. And according to the plot leaks it looks like they are throwing out the story, the setting and characters from the games. How does this keep happening? It feels like we have been getting a Super Mario Bros. movie type adaptation of Resident Evil for about twenty years now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

WaltherFeng posted:

Fuuuuuckkkk

Yup its a rite of passage. One of the hardest things I've had to do in a video game recently is beat final nemesis on inferno. You have to be almost perfect with your timing even with the dodge manual.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Vikar Jerome posted:

heres your new resident evil film reboot cast

thats in order from left to right, claire redfield, chris redfield, jill valentine, albert wesker, leon s kennedy, and ....william berkin. i actually think mcdonaugh would have a made a cool wesker myself but what do i know.

very interested to hear in the opinions of the internet at large on the casting of jill valentine and leon, im sure they will be very welcoming and cool opinions. right? yeah, im not even gonna look.

its set in 1998 and tells the mansion incident but no word on if they've cast the rock as barry burton or not. also i guess the city stuff too? unless they are just cast for the backend of the film to lead into the sequel...

I was trying to remember why Neal McDonaugh seemed familiar, and then I remembered that he was M.Bison in Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li. I guess he's been typecasted into playing a villain in poor film adaptations of Capcom properties.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

I was trying to remember why Neal McDonaugh seemed familiar, and then I remembered that he was M.Bison in Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li. I guess he's been typecasted into playing a villain in poor film adaptations of Capcom properties.

There are so many better things to remember him from.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Fuuuuuckkkk

The game is now Dark Souls. Hope you remembered to grab the burst pistol!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I did it, guys. I had to back to main menu and buy dodge manual and 2 defence coins but with those I was finally able to dodge his attacks semi consistently.

What a garbage boss. Good game but the final boss is way too hard compared to everything else.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Doomykins posted:

Yeah but who are they going to cast as Ada and Hunk and Irons and Annette and Sherry, you need the cheesy but vital B characters to build up the main protags, try to imagine Claire's arc without getting pissed about Sherry's neglect or Leon without his wife's support!

Also Dwayne Johnson as Mr X, come on now, it's right there.

ive been cast to play all those parts

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm replaying RE2make and I have to ask: is it just me, or do the noises the G-mutants make in the Meat Hallway sound weirdly like singing?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Finished Resident Evil 3 on Easy Mode.

Easy Mode doesn't give you a ranking, but based on time and saves, and a rough estimate of the healing I did, I'd say I averaged around a E or maybe a D. Not sure yet if I'm going to do a proper Hard Mode run or not.

I had a guide open in another window (the Versus Guide someone mentioned a page or two back) and the maps in that helped in showing where to go and where to find items. That said, now that I've finished the game, I feel like I have a better handle on the layout, and could maybe make my way around easier; I still find the early game very maze-like, but I think it's just a matter of using the in-game map to orient yourself.

I have to say that out the original three games, this one seems like the most difficult. Granted, I played in Easy Mode, but I feel like if I had been playing the same way in Hard Mode, I'd have burned through all my ammo. The biggest challenge seems to be dealing with Nemesis. I tried loading my NG+ save and fighting him in the first encounter, but I ended up dying (I think I might have downed him, but I don't know if he stays down until you leave the screen like Mr. X did.) From what I gathered, though, you want to fight him in Hard Mode, because he'll drop weapon upgrades that will be helpful later on. However, it seems like that add something like 3-4 additional boss encounters you have to deal with, which means 3-4 different places where you'd want to put down a save, and where you'd use more health items and ammo.

I was going to say that RE3 seems longer (and maybe it is by a small margin), but I feel like the game's more 'stressful' throughout then the previous two, for lack of a better word at the moment. With sections like the Guardhouse in RE1 and the Sewers in RE2, I found they were a little more lax than other areas. With RE3, though, it feels like there's never a section you get to really relax. It always feels like there's a group of enemies just around the corner, or Nemesis is on your tail. Mind you, that's not a complaint, and I think that was what the devs were shooting for.

This game also seems to have the most puzzle heavy of the three. I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out the clock puzzle and the water quality puzzle. The clock puzzle was sort of annoying because even though I had the guide open, and read the solution, I couldn't seem to solve it (I think the issue was that you have to do it in the order of past/present/future). The water quality puzzle wasn't so much challenging as much as it was sort of tedious, because it's not really suited to the interface. I have to imagine that's a big time-waster if you're trying to do a speedrun.

I dunno; there's more I want to add, but I've been playing the game for the last five hours, and I'm tired. :tootzzz: That's what I've got right now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I just played though OG RE3 too, and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of puzzles. Ultimately that's what I really like about the RE games, and I'm not a huge fan of the action heavy parts. Those puzzles really were tough, I didn't use any guides so some took a while. The drat music box one was really tough for me because I'm tone deaf

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ironically, for most people the music box puzzle is probably the easiest in the game, because the game literally tells you the solution. There are two example boxes in the room with the stairs: one that is mistuned and one that is tuned properly. When you play them, the game tells you exactly which combination makes that tune.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Medullah posted:

There are so many better things to remember him from.

Band of Brothers and Star Trek First Contact spring to mind. Minor in the latter but memorable.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Ironically, for most people the music box puzzle is probably the easiest in the game, because the game literally tells you the solution. There are two example boxes in the room with the stairs: one that is mistuned and one that is tuned properly. When you play them, the game tells you exactly which combination makes that tune.

Yep, and unfortunately my hearing is so borked I couldn't get it easily. I ended up recording it and doing it very slowly.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

I have to say that out the original three games, this one seems like the most difficult. Granted, I played in Easy Mode, but I feel like if I had been playing the same way in Hard Mode, I'd have burned through all my ammo. The biggest challenge seems to be dealing with Nemesis. I tried loading my NG+ save and fighting him in the first encounter, but I ended up dying (I think I might have downed him, but I don't know if he stays down until you leave the screen like Mr. X did.) From what I gathered, though, you want to fight him in Hard Mode, because he'll drop weapon upgrades that will be helpful later on. However, it seems like that add something like 3-4 additional boss encounters you have to deal with, which means 3-4 different places where you'd want to put down a save, and where you'd use more health items and ammo.

3-4, 7-8, same difference. As I recall Nemesis will go down for "good" when he lets out a specific dying grunt and a pool of purple blood. Either a briefcase drops or you can inspect his body. Early encounters require some real faith in your pistol ammo and knowing how to dodge the majority of his attacks. The most important tic is that he doesn't like to swing with his tentacle arm so when he boxes you in you run by that side and don't stop, he swings and misses. His drops are really good, you will get nice power boosts in Hard mode. It's a fun change of pace to try to take him down each time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

How DO you dodge in RE3 original? I did it a bunch but couldn't quite figure out how I was doing it so I figured it was automatic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a 0.0001 frame window where if you push the right button you do a dodge

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

you have to aim and attack on the exact frame that an enemies attack would connect, ive only ever successfully done it on accident

anyway the puzzle that always would trip me up wasnt the water puzzle or the music box puzzle but the one where you put the gems in the paintings and it changes the time on the clock. i still have no idea how that one is supposed to work so every time its just randomly putting gems in paintings until one of them works

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I vaguely remember something about the dodge in RE3 Classic actually being automatic to a degree if you play on easy, to the tune of there being a random chance of you just dodging out of the way whenever you are attacked. Can someone confirm/deny?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

it was automatic on easy, just aim and never worry about getting hit

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Max Wilco posted:

Finished Resident Evil 3 on Easy Mode.

Easy Mode doesn't give you a ranking, but based on time and saves, and a rough estimate of the healing I did, I'd say I averaged around a E or maybe a D. Not sure yet if I'm going to do a proper Hard Mode run or not.

I had a guide open in another window (the Versus Guide someone mentioned a page or two back) and the maps in that helped in showing where to go and where to find items. That said, now that I've finished the game, I feel like I have a better handle on the layout, and could maybe make my way around easier; I still find the early game very maze-like, but I think it's just a matter of using the in-game map to orient yourself.

I was going to say that RE3 seems longer (and maybe it is by a small margin), but I feel like the game's more 'stressful' throughout then the previous two, for lack of a better word at the moment. With sections like the Guardhouse in RE1 and the Sewers in RE2, I found they were a little more lax than other areas. With RE3, though, it feels like there's never a section you get to really relax. It always feels like there's a group of enemies just around the corner, or Nemesis is on your tail. Mind you, that's not a complaint, and I think that was what the devs were shooting for.

This game also seems to have the most puzzle heavy of the three. I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out the clock puzzle and the water quality puzzle. The clock puzzle was sort of annoying because even though I had the guide open, and read the solution, I couldn't seem to solve it (I think the issue was that you have to do it in the order of past/present/future). The water quality puzzle wasn't so much challenging as much as it was sort of tedious, because it's not really suited to the interface. I have to imagine that's a big time-waster if you're trying to do a speedrun.

I dunno; there's more I want to add, but I've been playing the game for the last five hours, and I'm tired. :tootzzz: That's what I've got right now.

hard isn't hard, hard is normal and you'll have tons of ammo. its totally mislabeled. uhh think we should have probably warned you of that. also theres tons of replayability due to all the randomness and different order you can do things in.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

I vaguely remember something about the dodge in RE3 Classic actually being automatic to a degree if you play on easy, to the tune of there being a random chance of you just dodging out of the way whenever you are attacked. Can someone confirm/deny?

I can say I dodged quite a few times in my recent playthrough, and since it was my first time I did it on easy so that would track.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Maybe it's just me, but during my play through of RE3 Remake I couldn't help but feel that Capcom must have hired someone on their staff whose sole job was to just carry around a stick to make sure none of the devs put QTEs into the game.

Employee 1: "Ok in this part a car explodes and hurtles directly at Jill. I'll just add a QTE button prompt right here..."

Employee 2: "No Quick Times!" *whack*

Employee 1: "But there's a giant head/boulder rolling down the street! At least let me put in a button mash!!"

Employee 2: "No Quick Times!" *whack* *whack* *whack*

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

How did the most embarrassing QTE in the series end up in Nest 2 though? Hold forward to not die, oh God, oh God, just ship it, no we don't have time to test the last boss.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The last boss was made by the guy who put parries in SF3.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Someone needs to make an anti-RE zombie survival game but instead of puzzles you just blast doors in with shotguns and stuff

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Medullah posted:

I just played though OG RE3 too, and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of puzzles. Ultimately that's what I really like about the RE games, and I'm not a huge fan of the action heavy parts. Those puzzles really were tough, I didn't use any guides so some took a while. The drat music box one was really tough for me because I'm tone deaf

I think in the post I made on RE1, I said that it felt like an adventure game, but you also have to deal with fighting and avoiding enemies while managing your supplies.

RE3 sort of feels like the first step in the series' transition from being less survival-horror and more action-oriented.

I figured out the music box puzzle pretty quickly, but it did occur to me that it would be a pain if you suffer from tone deafness.

Doomykins posted:

3-4, 7-8, same difference. As I recall Nemesis will go down for "good" when he lets out a specific dying grunt and a pool of purple blood. Either a briefcase drops or you can inspect his body. Early encounters require some real faith in your pistol ammo and knowing how to dodge the majority of his attacks. The most important tic is that he doesn't like to swing with his tentacle arm so when he boxes you in you run by that side and don't stop, he swings and misses. His drops are really good, you will get nice power boosts in Hard mode. It's a fun change of pace to try to take him down each time.

The problem, I guess, is that if you're shooting for an A Rank, you've got limit your saves and healing, which makes the Nemesis fights a big risk. Then again, if you're shooting for an A Rank, you maybe don't want to fight Nemesis, as it wastes time. However, if you're not getting the weapon upgrades he drops, then it seems like that would make future fights harder.

The dodge system is interesting, but I think the issue with it is that you can potentially get yourself stuck in a corner, where it won't work. It seems like it's key to Mercenaries, where you need to chain dodges and attacks together in order to get time bonuses. I tried Mercenaries mode briefly after finishing the game. I only made a single attempt as Carlos, but I didn't manage to reach the goal in time.

0 rows returned posted:

anyway the puzzle that always would trip me up wasnt the water puzzle or the music box puzzle but the one where you put the gems in the paintings and it changes the time on the clock. i still have no idea how that one is supposed to work so every time its just randomly putting gems in paintings until one of them works

The clock puzzle tripped me up because I read the solution is to get the middle clock to read 12:00, but it seems like with some combinations, you can get it to read 12:00, but it doesn't register it as solved. I think the gems have to be input in the order of past/present/future for it to work.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I've warmed considerably on RE3 since reading an interview with the game's director where he said they were focused on making a lower budget action spin-off for like 90% of development and had to shoehorn in half the plot last minute when the higher ups decided it needed to be a numbered entry. Whilst it is very flawed I really enjoy the Mercenaries mode and the unlocks vastly improve the single player campaign. Also in light of the remake, I appreciate the randomisation and branching paths much more!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

That part where it showed you a text about the solution to the puzzle is only found in other ports of RE3. In the PSX version, it only plays the tune so if you're tone-deaf then you're kind of screwed trying to solve it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

amigolupus posted:

That part where it showed you a text about the solution to the puzzle is only found in other ports of RE3. In the PSX version, it only plays the tune so if you're tone-deaf then you're kind of screwed trying to solve it.

i remember this came out when i had a horrible ear infection and i couldn't hear poo poo. the same thing happened in, i want to say, Silent Hill 3? which also had a music puzzle.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

WaltherFeng posted:

The last boss was made by the guy who put parries in SF3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzS96auqau0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

amigolupus posted:

Thank you for making me feel less dumb.