Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PCjr sidecar posted:

why bother with wheelbarrow when the valley is right there

people will see it then, we gotta take it to the reservoir that supplies the drinking water for the holler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Achmed Jones posted:

people will see it then, we gotta take it to the reservoir that supplies the drinking water for the holler

well, that’s convenient... we drained the reservoir for fracking and enhanced recovery on our natgas and oil subsidiaries so if you dump enough in it’ll raise the water level to make it less obvious

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hot drat, that's what I call synergy!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

i'm too ignorant about it to have a problem with it, but i've seen things on leftist twitter about resource extraction in general being haraam

while "there is no ethical consumption under capitalism" has a lot of truth in it, the conclusion should not be that the elimination of consumption is possible or desirable.

where in an ideal world (at current technological levels) consumption of oil should be eliminated on its own terms (as the consumption itself is bad), consumption of iron is largely fine as long as it is not outright wasteful of the finite resource.

leftist twitter likes its absolute extremes, but most realistic leftist utopias would have plenty of mining.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If you find yourself consuming iron, you make have pika and/or anemia.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
there's no ethical consumption under any alternative modern system either. the hunter-gatherer societies really had ethical consumption though. farming was a mistake, we need to go back to our roots.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

farming was a mistake, we need to go back to eating roots.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

idk about you guys but I'd love to return to a time when 12-18 hours of every day was spent just getting enough calories to wake up the next day and do it again until the moment you die

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

idk about you guys but I'd love to return to a time when 12-18 hours of every day was spent just getting enough calories to wake up the next day and do it again until the moment you die

i don't think this is the modern idea of how it worked, rather it was fairly little work 95% of the time, but variations year to year had you all starve to death without warning or face some other disaster like that. whereas farming is way more consistent but also way more consistently hard work.

civilization is cool and good though, i respect the idea of voluntary extinction way more than i do anarcho-primitivism.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i don't think this is the modern idea of how it worked, rather it was fairly little work 95% of the time, but variations year to year had you all starve to death without warning or face some other disaster like that. whereas farming is way more consistent but also way more consistently hard work.

civilization is cool and good though, i respect the idea of voluntary extinction way more than i do anarcho-primitivism.

in the meantime, sounds like you should find a new job

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this is the interviewing thread. if you want to be a subsistence farmer or hunter gatherer there is no interview process.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
sitting in a chair browsing the internet while the figgies roll in. it’s tough work but somebody has to do it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we're trying to hire someone and I'm reviewing resumes and woof, I forget how many truly terrible candidates there are out there

The Management posted:

this is the interviewing thread. if you want to be a subsistence farmer or hunter gatherer there is no interview process.
or there is one interview and it never ends and if you fail it you die

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qirex posted:

or there is one interview and it never ends and if you fail it you die

I already feel like this about every interview. Also every job.

:(

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i did a good job not saying a number at the beginning of the process but forgot that you have to be able to say one at the end lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

we're trying to hire someone and I'm reviewing resumes and woof, I forget how many truly terrible candidates there are out there
lol

yeah theres a reason theyre out there pushing their resumes and pounding the pavement

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the contract is sealed, new employment secured. time to inform my boss that I’m getting the gently caress out of here, but he’s out for Canadian thanksgiving so I will have to wait an extra day to do it. my boss is in canada. my new boss is in Texas, lol.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

the contract is sealed, new employment secured. time to inform my boss that I’m getting the gently caress out of here, but he’s out for Canadian thanksgiving so I will have to wait an extra day to do it. my boss is in canada. my new boss is in Texas, lol.

Congrats!

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

the contract is sealed

ominous

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the die is cast

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

qirex posted:

Yea, I remember when I used to pick resumes/interview for Tier2 tech's at [Mega Telecom]and the amount of absolute trash resumes we got were astounding, I could see why my manager handed it off to me to weed out all the trash, and then even the good ones - I'd say 50% would be complete failures at answering on the fly questions about stuff they're experts at supposedly.

sidenote: I did a mass apply only twice on indeed and got absolutely nothing a few months back so that sucked considering I didn't even get call backs and I know my resume is perfectly fine, then my trudeau bucks ran out and did another mass apply last week and got a solid hit and just got offered the job today which I'll take since it's pay is good and sometimes I'll get to pet doggies at Vet Clinics :dance:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

browsing through our competitors' careers pages and almost none of them are hiring, or if they are they aren't hiring in the states. loving :rip:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

Congrats! Are you out of BigTech now?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DuckConference posted:

Congrats! Are you out of BigTech now?

I tried but they sucked me back in

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've just noticed that a bunch of candidates who are coming in through our "diversity route" which is meant to be a way for people to join without a great degree or having worked at local big tech equivalent are pretty obviously qualified for an interview on their CV alone, no need for an alternative route. Idk what this says about our hiring process, probably that our requirements are super dumb.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > interviewing: our requirements are super dumb

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I'm on the final round of interviews now; I had one this morning, and have one Tuesday and one on Wednesday, so the gauntlet is nearing the end. This morning's interview went great so hopefully the next two are similar!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

am i missing something or does Domain Driven Design just boil down to “what if we were good at naming things”

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Domain Driven Design is basically this but instead of drawing it's system design:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

small business owner brain is the reallest thing, it's incredible. Turns a normal person into a full blown sociopath in a matter of years

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
it's always the small business owners who act like you're breaking up with them when you inevitably quit

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE posted:

it's always the small business owners who act like you're breaking up with them when you inevitably quit

https://twitter.com/SimplySnaccbar/status/1153657882304368640?s=20

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

this felt good

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Shortly after finishing my final interview, I got an email from the hiring manager to tell me that my interviews went well and I had great feedback and that they'd be making me an offer soon and to watch for the official email from the recruiter. I was very appreciative of this, the whole process of looking for a new job has been very anxiety inducing and I thought it was nice of him to let me know the outcome was positive instead of making me wait for the recruiter to get in touch :unsmith:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The Fool posted:

this felt good

I sent them pretty much the same response.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
idk i'd work for fb if the price was right. tree fiddy? could be worse: you could be a defense contractor

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

idk i'd work for fb if the price was right. tree fiddy? could be worse: you could be a defense contractor

my current company is a dod contractor (among other things)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Fool posted:

this felt good

They have been sending me recruitment emails and I have no idea how they got my real email. My facebook account has some bogus email I created just for facebook. I just don't respond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They have been sending me recruitment emails and I have no idea how they got my real email. My facebook account has some bogus email I created just for facebook. I just don't respond.

tell them that you cannot consider working for them as long as they are harming society, and to give this feedback to their managers. turn not being able to attract new employees into a crisis for them.