Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Yeah they could cut out a lot and it would be a good feature-length documentary, but they are really stretching to get nine hours out of it. Maybe it’s just me but I really don’t care about the woman from Malibu’s quest to get her child out of the cult, especially when everyone involved with the documentary (including the mom!) worked their hardest to get her into it.

If they focused on the leader himself and his life story it would be a lot more interesting. This Mark guy seems to think we are watching because we like to see him make phone calls though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The cult itself is interesting in the same horrifying way most cults are, but the documentary is pretty dull and I’m not sure I’d recommend it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah if they edited it down to 2-3 hours max it might be compelling. Literally 50-75% of the scenes are the same 4-5 people either staring down into their phones or laptops, it's super frustrating to watch IMO.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Fruits of the sea posted:

Grace Park was also in the cult. Wouldn’t surprise me if a bunch of the extras got into nexiubvmumxm cult as well. The film biz in Van is relatively small.
Shoutout to Callum Keith Rennie

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JaneError posted:

It's fine but it definitely doesn't need to be 9 hours long; it's a lot of the "escapees" puttering around making phone calls. Cult poo poo fascinates me so I watch it but it could easily have been a two-hour documentary.

Truecrimeseries.txt

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Battlestar Galactica has been missing from streaming services for a bit, but it has reappeared on the free Peacock. It's also been made relevant again due to HBO's the Vow, the actress who played Callie was a core member of the sex cult.

If any Brits missed it, it's also on BBC iPlayer as well.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

nate fisher posted:

Strongly disagree about Haunting of Hill House.

I'm about to start it. Are you saying that it did not take a turn or that you liked the turn it took?

albedoa fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 8, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The story is crazy enough to make it worth watching, but the whole thing is overproduced. If it was cut down to 5 or 6 episodes there would still be lots of room for mood-setting shots on the beach and people talking on the phone with each other.

The podcast Uncover: Escaping Necrom is better and has material from most of the participants in the doc. It also challenges them on their participation while the HBO doc is perhaps a little too sympathetic (although Mark Vicente’s face is a study in regret and sadness, which doesn’t come across in the podcast).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Grace Park was also in the cult. Wouldn’t surprise me if a bunch of the extras got into nexiubvmumxm cult as well. The film biz in Van is relatively small.

Yeah, but I don't think she was anywhere near as centrally involved as Callie. I got the impression that Grace and a bunch of other Vancouver actors just got roped into taking some classes, but didn't get branded on the rear end.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, but I don't think she was anywhere near as centrally involved as Callie. I got the impression that Grace and a bunch of other Vancouver actors just got roped into taking some classes, but didn't get branded on the rear end.

The brand is actually right next to the vagina whoch is worse.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The mcMonopoly doc had same drat issue

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's dull and lifeless, despite some good performances. Skip it.

Seconded. I don't know why I watched it for no reason. Kept waiting for something interesting to happen.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I watched Vampires vs. the Bronx tonight. Fun movie. Very light fare, with an enjoyable gentrifiers-as-vampires theme and some fun references to Blade. Vampires have way too many weaknesses, though.

I also watched Muppets Most Wanted. I really enjoy the wholsomeness of the Muppets, so I liked this one too. It's got some catchy songs and some funny bits, so overall a worthwhile way to spend some time.

Both are on Netflix.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Seconded. I don't know why I watched it for no reason. Kept waiting for something interesting to happen.

There's certainly a bunch of meaningless violence. I don't think that's a spoiler.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

In case I haven't posted that The Boys is awesome, it's awesome. The violence is stomach churning (I don't think I've covered my eyes in...a number of years, but holy poo poo when she tore that dude's face off), but I like it way more than any of the Avengers movies. After watching it, I can't really see a person with super powers turning out any way but evil--which is to say, totally normal, but with super powers. Also HOLY poo poo AOC IS AN EVIL SUPER MUTANT

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 9, 2020

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere
The Boys is great but the violence in it is so juvenile and unnecessary, it's like they asked a bunch of 14 year old boys what they'd want to see a supervillain do. Also Butcher and the C word - he said 'oval office' in every sentence during one long scene black noir at his relative's house, it wasn't offensive he just sounded like a dumbass trying to be edgy.

It's a shame as it's too much for a lot of people who would enjoy it otherwise.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's why I've avoided it so far, certainly. I've been sold on it enough that I'll eventually get around to it, but I find that sort of tryhard edginess to be really difficult to push through.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

If you thought McMillions was slow, steer well clear of The Vow. McMillions was briskly paced by comparison.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

snoot posted:

The Boys is great but the violence in it is so juvenile and unnecessary, it's like they asked a bunch of 14 year old boys what they'd want to see a supervillain do. Also Butcher and the C word - he said 'oval office' in every sentence during one long scene black noir at his relative's house, it wasn't offensive he just sounded like a dumbass trying to be edgy.

It's a shame as it's too much for a lot of people who would enjoy it otherwise.

This is true to the source, a juvenile dumb comic

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Junkie Disease posted:

This is true to the source, a juvenile dumb comic

And surprisingly they managed to make it LESS dumb juvenile than the comic was.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I was pretty resistant to The Boys for the same reason, but it's not as edgy or try-hard as it seems like it would be. I ended up loving the series despite all that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The graphic violence and brutality is actually toned down quite bit from the comics.

Garth Ennis hates superheroes and the brutality and misogyny is supposed to skewer the genre. Doesn’t translate to the screen very well. It would have across as a hosed up gore series filled with unsympathetic psychopaths if they hadn’t edited half of it out. See also Preacher, where Ennis shits on organized religion and evangelicism. Although that went off the rails in the second season for reasons I don’t entirely understand.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The graphic violence and brutality is actually toned down quite bit from the comics.

Garth Ennis hates superheroes and the brutality and misogyny is supposed to skewer the genre. Doesn’t translate to the screen very well. It would have across as a hosed up gore series filled with unsympathetic psychopaths if they hadn’t edited half of it out. See also Preacher, where Ennis shits on organized religion and evangelicism. Although that went off the rails in the second season for reasons I don’t entirely understand.

I kinda wish Watchmen had been adapted as well as The Boys.

I say, not having seen the TV series, but I'm mostly interested in the original graphic novel anyway.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Man, the Watchmen TV series is so good. Give it a try. One of my favorite limited (?) serieseses.

And also yes The Boys is great and horribly gratuitously violent at the same time. It's practically live action Itchy and Scratchy in terms of creatively disgusting gore. The acting from some characters is surprisingly good, though - Homelander in particular. He was fantastic in the finale.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Glottis posted:

Man, the Watchmen TV series is so good. Give it a try. One of my favorite limited (?) serieseses.

And also yes The Boys is great and horribly gratuitously violent at the same time. It's practically live action Itchy and Scratchy in terms of creatively disgusting gore. The acting from some characters is surprisingly good, though - Homelander in particular. He was fantastic in the finale.

Yeah it’s worth watching for Homelander alone. I was trying to think of what I could compare The Boys to and the closest I can get is American Psycho. It has that same way of making you disgusted one moment and involuntarily laugh the next. The superheroes are all so insane and neurotic that Patrick Bateman would fit right in.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

snoot posted:

The Boys is great but the violence in it is so juvenile and unnecessary, it's like they asked a bunch of 14 year old boys what they'd want to see a supervillain do. Also Butcher and the C word - he said 'oval office' in every sentence during one long scene

I mean, he is Australian

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As someone who is still mentally 14 I enjoy all of the gore and cussing in The Boys.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

As someone who is still mentally 14 I enjoy all of the gore and cussing in The Boys.

:same:

Season 2 starts out kinda naff but by the mid point it's excellent

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

veni veni veni posted:

I guess I’m in the same boat, since I never batted eye at it.

Of course the all-time champ of cussing (here it is more of an art)

https://youtu.be/4KsU89R1A8M

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Archer this season is just super bad. Something feels really off and none of the jokes land.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Anyone have thoughts on We Are Who We Are? I have a soft spot for anything with Chloe Sevigny in it, so I’m tempted to give it a watch,

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Simone Magus posted:

I mean, he is Australian

It's a term of endearment from where he is from

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Thundercracker posted:

Archer this season is just super bad. Something feels really off and none of the jokes land.

Eh? It's a little off because they shifted some of the characters around in the timeskip, but as far as the jokes, I feel like it's more or less a return to season 4-era Archer. We haven't gotten anything on the level of the cancer rampage two-parter yet, but it's good.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Simone Magus posted:

I mean, he is Australian

Billy Butcher is English and Karl Urban is a New Zealander, but close enough

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I swear Butcher was supposed to be Australian in the show

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I thought season 1 of The Boys was a chore to get through because it didn't do any of what it was trying to do spectacularly well, but everyone keeps on raving about season 2.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Eh? It's a little off because they shifted some of the characters around in the timeskip, but as far as the jokes, I feel like it's more or less a return to season 4-era Archer. We haven't gotten anything on the level of the cancer rampage two-parter yet, but it's good.

same, for me this is back to Archer's best stuff, it's not as good as absolute gold like the train episode or the cancer rampage but I'm loving them going back to this rather than the one-off seasons.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Nihonniboku posted:

I thought season 1 of The Boys was a chore to get through because it didn't do any of what it was trying to do spectacularly well, but everyone keeps on raving about season 2.

If you did not like season 1 you are unlikely to like season 2. Season 2 is more streamlined because you just get to experience the universe rather than having to figure out what it is, but it’s otherwise similar. People are raving because it’s popular and crazy enough to spark conversation, not because it’s universally enjoyable.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Junkie Disease posted:

The miniseries as the gold standard of documentary has mostly been bad. Most stories don't have more than 2-3 hours in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
I didn't "get" Stormfront's name until like season 2 episode 6 or 7 and literally my first thought when she was introduced was "oh, like the website!"

I like the boys