Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Someone on my local Craigslist was selling a new Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for $125. I flagged it a sent them a very nice email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Hard to imagine anyone's buying a stick just for Squadrons. The MSFS-induced hardware shortage still hasn't ended.

I think it’s more just overlapping. Like “I’ll buy a stick for flight sim and Star Wars”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh hey there's a new flight sim thread. that explains why the other one dropped out of my bookmarks.

anyway there's a Washington DC scenery pack in the store, and god help me I was actually kind of tempted to buy it because it looks really good quality and Washington has a ton of really iconic buildings, obviously. It looks like they modeled not only the obvious monuments but also stuff like the Watergate and the Executive Office Building and so on.

but then I saw the easter egg they added

gtfo

skooma512 posted:

I looked all over the cockpit for a selector lever, and people on some other forum say the same as you: There are two fuel tanks but they drain equally and without any way for the pilot to select them.

There is a fuel valve down on the floor between the seats. It's not a "tank selector" in that it only has on (both tanks) and off positions, but it definitely needs to be on for fuel to flow.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 9, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

sigher posted:

Honestly, when the hell can we expect any Flight Sim Hardware to be in stock ever again? poo poo's getting ridiculous.

VKB North America has their stuff in stock, last I looked.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

:siren: Don't let Sagebrush read this post. :siren:

I came up with this flight that is very illegal, but flies past a couple of cool things I saw on a trip to the Grand Canyon a few years ago. And I like flying through canyons. The images are from google maps and two of them are photos I took.

God loving DAMMIT there is an entire chapter in the FAR just about special regulations in and around Grand Canyon National Park!!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Shine posted:

Keep in mind its $40 shipping and comes straight from Shenzen.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shine posted:

They only seem to have their own stuff, I'm in need of rudder pedals and a Honeycomb Yoke.

I actually have some pedals on order... but it's been 2~ weeks and they still haven't shipped.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sigher posted:

They only seem to have their own stuff, I'm in need of rudder pedals and a Honeycomb Yoke.

I actually have some pedals on order... but it's been 2~ weeks and they still haven't shipped.

Yeah the yoke is super backordered at the moment. The throttle quadrant is even worse. They don't seem to be capable of meeting demand. Every time I go back to check they add another week of backordered units.

edit: This site claims it will get a shipment of yokes on or around october 19th: https://xforcepc.com/honeycomb.html

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 9, 2020

Mostly
Jul 29, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's cool that the logbook doesn't work since the last update

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Mostly posted:

Yeah I was wondering why most of my flights no longer end in a landing. Even Onair knows I landed, but the logbook just thinks I went to [vicinity].

Mostly
Jul 29, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oceanbound posted:

Yeah I was wondering why most of my flights no longer end in a landing. Even Onair knows I landed, but the logbook just thinks I went to [vicinity].

It breaks the entire game. Nothing counts towards achievements or activities or scores. Lol.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I fire it up every few days to keep FSE going and help pay for my friends aircraft and our FBO network but drat is it frustrating to try to do anything properly in this game.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Shine posted:

Not exactly, right now it ships direct from Shenzen once it comes off the production line and fills orders first come first serve. It took about two weeks for mine to ship.

efb

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

:getin:

But anyway, yeah there is the valve under the seat and it was open, but there's no way to select the left tank because that plane doesn't have a selector, all the gas is fair game or none of it is.

Also got my FSE account approved! Made a 1500 bux flying passenger from Pendleton to San Diego. I like making numbers go up so this will be awesome. I might do FSE poo poo in FSX just because it's more stable and complete.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

God loving DAMMIT there is an entire chapter in the FAR just about special regulations in and around Grand Canyon National Park!!

Good thing this is in FS2020 and not Prepar3D.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://www.flightsimulator.com/october-8th-2020-development-update/

I mean, the transparency is nice. But the pitch oscillation fix is next month? AP won't be fixed till loving December? :cripes:

Don't make me hate you MFS, loving you is hard enough.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
"I miss trains" lol

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

I got a Newegg in-stock notification for the honeycomb yoke yesterday at like 8:30 AM. By 8:45 AM it was out of stock and there were two reseller listings for it for $500 up. It's ridiculous right now.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
By the time I can actually get the throttle quadrant from Honeycomb maybe things will be better!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah the yoke is super backordered at the moment. The throttle quadrant is even worse. They don't seem to be capable of meeting demand. Every time I go back to check they add another week of backordered units.

edit: This site claims it will get a shipment of yokes on or around october 19th: https://xforcepc.com/honeycomb.html

Thanks for the site, I placed and order so hopefully I'll see it ship by the end of October. Who knows at this point though. lol

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The throttle quadrant got pre-orders available just a few weeks ago and according to their site they sold out their throttles through basically the end of the year basically. Or like, end of November. I wouldn't bank on getting that honeycomb throttle til at least the new year.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I have a first wave shipment of the throttle, and it's supposed to ship end of October but we'll see.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

The pitch oscillation bug is game breaking for me, so I guess I won't be picking this up again for a while. Utterly ruins realism to have to turn off autopilot constantly because it's causing 10-15 degree pitch oscillations. To make matters worse if you're using OnAir you'll probably get a "G Force Excess" penalty that fucks up your reputation and causes airframe damage.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Soy Division posted:

The pitch oscillation bug is game breaking for me, so I guess I won't be picking this up again for a while. Utterly ruins realism to have to turn off autopilot constantly because it's causing 10-15 degree pitch oscillations. To make matters worse if you're using OnAir you'll probably get a "G Force Excess" penalty that fucks up your reputation and causes airframe damage.

There’s no way I’m doing long distances if I can’t use any time compression or autopilot :(

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

skooma512 posted:

There’s no way I’m doing long distances if I can’t use any time compression or autopilot :(

Level flight works fine for me most of the time thankfully. It's climb/descent that are broken, especially climb. Still annoying enough to be game breaking.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The recommendation I've seen for having level flight is to use VS mode and set it to 0. That seems more consistent than using altitude hold mode.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Mostly posted:

Are you in dev mode? Turning that off got the logbook working again. You can also keep the FPS counter enabled while turning dev mode off (which is all I was using it for).

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Weed Wolf posted:

Are you in dev mode? Turning that off got the logbook working again. You can also keep the FPS counter enabled while turning dev mode off (which is all I was using it for).

Logbook has been working perfectly fine for me (except when my game crashes on final approach into LAX).

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

What irks me is that since one or two patches ago I'm getting several crashed to desktop per evening. Together with the long load times and the work that you put into having a nice trip it's really frustrating. Reinstalling the game doesn't help.

The fact that avionics shut off randomly and the autopilot can't keep the nose level is just icing

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I do altitude hold until it levels out at VS=0, and then turn off all altitude keeping AP functions. The plane tends stay steady. Airbus is even easier since the plane autotrims all the time anyway.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Hahaha holy poo poo I got the TWCS throttle and let me tell you, I thought having the trim on the little dial thingy was a great idea until I crashed into the ocean because of how sensitive it is.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The meshes outside the US really do suck, even in the UK.

I'm over Edinburgh and it looks absolutely poo poo. The castle is office buildings smooshed together :scotland:.

Jamming to Frightened Rabbit on approach into Edinburgh though? Highly recommend.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Too bad multiplayer seems to happen in multiple instances. I reloaded on EDDL on the same geographic server, and there's entirely different people around now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Too bad multiplayer seems to happen in multiple instances. I reloaded on EDDL on the same geographic server, and there's entirely different people around now.

I don't think it's instance based. There's simply a hard cap on the number of internet people the game will track and render, and it seems to pick them at random when you're loading into an area with lots of players.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Is it possible that the nav aid frequencies outside of the US aren't always accurate in msfs 2020? I've had it so often now that I can't dial in one with the frequency that Skyvector shows. But then I look it up app.uber.space and the frequency will just be slightly different and it seems to immediately work. What's going on there, am I looking at Skyvector cross eyed or does europe forbid the real frequencies to be used in video games or what?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Two possibilities:

1) Europe requires radios with 8.33KHz spacing, while the USA still uses 25KHz spacing. In the USA you can have 122.275 and 122.300 but nothing in between, and many radios don't even have the last digit (displaying them as 122.27 and 122.30). In Europe you will have 122.275, 122.280, 122.285, 122.290, and 122.300. It's possible that something is going wrong in the translation between US and European standards.

2) They just got the frequencies wrong. This seems more plausible because, as you can see, the 25KHz spacings coexist with the 8.33KHz spacings.

Random fun fact: the VHF radio frequency spectrum has been constantly divided down from the earliest days of aviation radio. It ranges from 118 to 137MHz and started out with 200KHz spacings (118.0, 118.2, 118.4...) then went to 100KHz in the 1940s to get more available channels. In the mid-50s they split again to 50KHz channels (118.15, 118.20) and then in 1972 split to 25KHz as we have today. Now Europe has split the 25KHz channels again into 4 parts and the USA is slowly moving that direction.

The only artifact of the old spacing is GUARD, which keeps 100KHz; there is nothing between 121.4 and 121.6 except for 121.5.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Thought I'd jump in cause i'm having a really weird issue with MSFS20.

All has been playing fine, other than the first update that nuked bush trips being able to complete the next leg, big deal i was only 3 legs in on the first one.

Am now doing the Balkans one and for some reason I can't get anything on the joystick (Logi X3D Pro) to recognise anything other than camera change or focus camera.

The thing is, if I go into the settings all the buttons and axis's light up if I test them correctly.

The joystick is working fine, its just note controlling anything when I get into the game.

Flight log and VFR map doesn't seem to come up automatically as well now, and I can't open them manually from the menu in the middle of the screen because that doesn't come up now.

I literally haven't touched anything since the last time I played which was last Sunday.

I just tried starting the Patagonia bush trip and everything works fine.

E: What the gently caress, i restarted it 3 times and now it works. This game some times.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 11, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

DX12 w.i.p to coincide with Xbox?

I wonder what the ramifications of that will be?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

DX12 w.i.p to coincide with Xbox?

I wonder what the ramifications of that will be?

1.10.9.8.34 Patch Notes
-DX12 crashes whenever an odd number of switches are in the off position for more than 45 seconds.
—workaround: reinstall windows and don’t touch any lighting switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

I don't think it's instance based. There's simply a hard cap on the number of internet people the game will track and render, and it seems to pick them at random when you're loading into an area with lots of players.
Hmmm, really? I was just surprised, because when I went to the main menu, the sky and airport were relatively busy, when I hopped immediately back in, there were suddenly just only six other nametags.