Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Purely a technical question but I’m confused since I haven’t used windows except as a VM in years.

What’s the downside to just installing the disk image from a flash drive that Microsoft provides for free? Doesn’t it just not let you change the background? Or is there a reason that disk image doesn’t work as the base operating system?

Literally just the background, and maybe a bag screen. It has no functional restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Have any of you goons gotten a notification from EVGA to buy a 3080? Per the forum post they said they'd have inventory back in stock this week but I haven't gotten an email and now it's the end of the business week :shrug:

Per the forum post, they're now using a queue-based system for purchasing. When you click on the 'notify me' button for a GPU, they put your email address in the queue. They will then send emails only to the people in the top of the queue for the number of cards available. Those people have eight hours to make a purchase. If those people don't buy cards, then emails get sent to the next people in queue. You haven't received an email because they likely haven't reached your spot in the queue yet. Given the current stock limitation, I wouldn't expect to see an email for weeks, if not months, unless you were very quick at signing up for a notification.

Also, I will likely be upgrading to a 5900x, and selling my 3900x once I have the new CPU. If anyone is looking to build a couple months or so from now, and is interested in a barely-used 5900x at a discount, drop me a PM and we can work something out. If not, I'll probably toss it up on SA-Mart.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

sean10mm posted:

I'm kind of unsure how much Zen 3 moves the needle in our generic recommendations

We don't have benchmarks or any idea about the continued availability of Zen2 yet. I'm guessing that the performance increase won't be worth the price increase since the absolute performance of Zen2 is still good, but if Zen2 stock dries up it'll be time to reevaluate.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I did sign up the week the cards first came out. Wasn't sure how much stock was expected or anything, though.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

sean10mm posted:

I'm kind of unsure how much Zen 3 moves the needle in our generic recommendations anytime soon since everything's in a higher price bracket.

So a 5600X is priced like a 3700X, and it will certainly beat the 3700X in games in the short term much like the 10600K already does... but I don't know that I want to raise my budget in late 2020 and only get 6 cores. 6 cores is probably optimal for gaming right this second, but the next gen consoles all have 8c/16t already. "Future proofing" is always sketchy but I feel like the writing is on the wall here, it feels too much like getting in on the very last of the 4 core/4 thread i5s.

Yeah my feeling is that if I get a CPU that's at least as good as the next consoles it will last me for a very long time, but if I don't it's more likely to need an upgrade soon.

AMD give me UK pricing and independent benchmarks you cowards

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
So I was waiting for the Zen3 news before deciding what I wanted to do for my new PC this Oct/Nov and I'm wondering about the PCIe4 support. I've generally after Athlon 64 stuck with Intel but the Ryzens seem to be great now but I still kinda out of habit stick with Intel. I have been put off by the current state of Intel and wondered how much the lack of PCIe4 in gen 10 matters? I mean with the new consoles using those super fast SSDs etc if I was building a PC now for the next 5 years basing it on PCIe3 seems like a potential mistake? Is it likely the next gen of GPUs in a couple of years will benefit a lot more from PCIe4? As it stands I'm thinking of pulling everything together and building what I have for a Ryzen machine and just waiting to drop the Ryzen CPU in - or I could grab a gen 10 mobo and CPU now?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Blackfyre posted:

So I was waiting for the Zen3 news before deciding what I wanted to do for my new PC this Oct/Nov and I'm wondering about the PCIe4 support. I've generally after Athlon 64 stuck with Intel but the Ryzens seem to be great now but I still kinda out of habit stick with Intel. I have been put off by the current state of Intel and wondered how much the lack of PCIe4 in gen 10 matters? I mean with the new consoles using those super fast SSDs etc if I was building a PC now for the next 5 years basing it on PCIe3 seems like a potential mistake? Is it likely the next gen of GPUs in a couple of years will benefit a lot more from PCIe4? As it stands I'm thinking of pulling everything together and building what I have for a Ryzen machine and just waiting to drop the Ryzen CPU in - or I could grab a gen 10 mobo and CPU now?

My gut says unlikely PCIe 4 will matter much for graphics cards over said time period, but Intel doesn't really have any advantages here. Zen3 may well outperform it, Zen2 is markedly cheaper, both have PCIe4 on the off chance it does matter.

I don't recommend buying less than a complete system ahead of time, if you have a DOA part dealing with returns is always simple, dealing with warranty service isn't so assured.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'm not in the market for a CPU but the announcement had me thinking that these seem a bit overpriced. Also where is the 5700x on release date? I feel that was the "best buy" for a higher end PC last generation.

The Big Navi tease seemed disappointing if that was their high end card.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Blackfyre posted:

10th gen intel is just dumb IMO. A 10700k is almost $100 more than a 3700X now so you can get 5 fps more in games at 1440p while being worse in every other way.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm not in the market for a CPU but the announcement had me thinking that these seem a bit overpriced. Also where is the 5700x on release date? I feel that was the "best buy" for a higher end PC last generation.

The Big Navi tease seemed disappointing if that was their high end card.

Basically AMD is claiming Zen 3 is absolutely the best at everything at any given core count, and they're charging accordingly. Zen 3 isn't a value proposition now, it's the "I want the best thing and will pay more" proposition.

If your budget is $200-300 most people should probably just buy a 3600 or 3700X still. AMD's "problem" is that those are still a good value.

Big Navi is probably still a loser vs. the RTX 30 series unless they're priced very aggressively. Nobody trusts them to have decent drivers and they probably have nothing on par with DLSS 2.0.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! I was tempted to go to a PC building site this time due to time constraints with work but mindful of 3080 availability. Was tempted to order a 3900X system to get in their preorder queue and set the shipping date in mid Nov as before its sent I can ask them to upgrade the CPU so as its just a CPU change I was thinking of paying the difference. They advise to wait until all the parts you want are available which is understandable and would be what I usually do if it wasnt for the 3080 issues.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

How would this be for gaming at 1440p/120? I was looking at teaming it with a LG 65" CX

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£179.00 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£97.44 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£68.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Corsair MP510 960 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£0)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card (£793.67 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case (£64.95 @ AWD-IT)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£0)

The 3080 is just a placeholder for now - I picked the longest one to see if it would have problems with the case. Am I right in thinking the mboard is the new default recommendation a la the B450 Tomahawk Max, and what would be a suitable cpu cooler?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Spikes32 posted:

What country are you in? USA

What are you using the system for? Gaming, vr gaming, minor machine learning data analysis stuff.

What's your budget? 1400

If you’re doing professional work nope, this is mostly dissertation work.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1920 x 1080 59 hz refresh rate

About all I really know is I want to get the 3070 gpu, I have an extra graphics card I can plug in till I snag one, but I might do the evga step up program as well. I'd like a computer that can play high modern graphics and be more future proof for upgrades years down the line. I'm open to buying a new display if my current one isn't worth bringing over. Below is a list I pulled from pc part picker but I really don't know much about all this.

I'm pretty sure the 3070 for 1080p @ 60hz is significant overkill. Obviously there's nothing wrong with that, it gives you overhead to get a 1440 or a higher refresh rate monitor down the road, but it's something to know.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

sean10mm posted:

Basically AMD is claiming Zen 3 is absolutely the best at everything at any given core count, and they're charging accordingly. Zen 3 isn't a value proposition now, it's the "I want the best thing and will pay more" proposition.

If your budget is $200-300 most people should probably just buy a 3600 or 3700X still. AMD's "problem" is that those are still a good value.

Big Navi is probably still a loser vs. the RTX 30 series unless they're priced very aggressively. Nobody trusts them to have decent drivers and they probably have nothing on par with DLSS 2.0.

These were pretty much my exact thoughts too. Just surprised AMD went for the money on these. I feel like a $20 bump across the board instead of $50 would have absolutely wrecked intel. But, as you said, the 3xxx line is still so good.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
OK so with that system it's worth getting a new monitor when a good deal comes out, that's great to know.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

These were pretty much my exact thoughts too. Just surprised AMD went for the money on these. I feel like a $20 bump across the board instead of $50 would have absolutely wrecked intel. But, as you said, the 3xxx line is still so good.

Intel is like straight dogshit tier right now, and rumor is it’s so bad their next generation is going to be just as bad.

It’s bad enough that it made Apple go and start designing their own CPUs.

This is quiet literally the best time for them to take the extra money, as most people with brains will pick AMD at the higher price, just like in the past most people with brains picked intel at the higher price when AMD was lovely.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I have a 9600k @ 5.0ghz all core and my single core score is 500.

The 5600x is pushing 600.

That means if I wanted it match its performance I would probably need to be pushing 6.0 ghz.

This chip is going to skullfuck intel in gamming.

Intel cant with a straight face call itself the king of gamming, AMD absolutely can now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ineptitude posted:

How would we know if it is?
Why is this an issue?

It will say nvme on the product page. It's not a huge issue in the day-to-day but technically on paper NVME drives are like 5x faster than SATA drives for little to no premium in price. Most people here recommend the WD SN550 as the best overall value and performer but if you find something else just post it here before purchasing to check.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hello PC thread; I think I'm finally at the point where I need a new gaming computer. The trouble is, I've basically stopped paying attention to the entire field some twelve years ago when I got the current one so I have next to no idea what's what in hardware these days. That being said:

What country are you in? Czech Republic. A little blob in the middle of Europe.

What are you using the system for? Gaming and writing/translating, although that probably isn't an issue. I would also like to have the option to record videos while gaming (which is pretty taxing).

What's your budget? Amounts to about 1500$ when the currency is converted; can go a couple hundred over if given a good reason, with 2000 being the absolute maximum. I would also like a monitor and microphone to go with it, which might factor in the budget significantly. Also need SSDs and sound (although that's probably integrated these days?)

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? For monitor, see above; for performance, I realize there's a lot of new gimmicks now but I would prefer, say, a card that can do raytracing in case it happens to be the Next Big Thing.

As for actual preferences, I think I'd take a Nvidia card over an AMD on the account of the former not having burned out in my computer so far. I know it's hard to predict the technologies of the future, but I'd like to be able run current games on high settings and hope for the best.

Thanks!

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 9, 2020

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
so a zen 2 and 3080 would pretty much carry me through next gen?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Hello PC thread; I think I'm finally at the point where I need a new gaming computer. The trouble is, I've basically stopped paying attention to the entire field some twelve years ago when I got the current one so I have next to no idea what's what in hardware these days. That being said:

What country are you in? Czech Republic. A little blob in the middle of Europe.

What are you using the system for? Gaming and writing/translating, although that probably isn't an issue. I would also like to have the option to record videos while gaming (which is pretty taxing).

What's your budget? Amounts to about 1500$ when the currency is converted; can go a couple hundred over if given a good reason. I would also like a monitor and microphone to go with it, which might factor in the budget significantly.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? For monitor, see above; for performance, I realize there's a lot of new gimmicks now but I would prefer, say, a card that can do raytracing in case it happens to be the Next Big Thing.

As for actual preferences, I think I'd take a Nvidia card over an AMD on the account of the former not having burned out in my computer so far. I know it's hard to predict the technologies of the future, but I'd like to be able run current games on high settings and hope for the best.

Thanks!

You are in a funny spot budget wise and aren't very specific about your monitor? Do you need all new drives or do you by chance have some SSDs you already upgraded to? Do you want 1440 144 or to try pushing towards 4k? Because you could easily drop anywhere from one to two thirds of the budget into the gpu and monitor. But your probably looking at a 3700x and waiting for 3070.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Harold Fjord posted:

You are in a funny spot budget wise and aren't very specific about your monitor? Do you need all new drives or do you by chance have some SSDs you already upgraded to? Do you want 1440 144 or to try pushing towards 4k? Because you could easily drop anywhere from one to two thirds of the budget into the gpu and monitor. But your probably looking at a 3700x and waiting for 3070.
Or, right, sorry. I'm not dead-set on 4k, basically just looking for an upgrade from my old 1920x1080 60 Hz. I will need SSD drives and sound - basically my current computer is in its death throes and I don't think I will be able to re-use much apart from maybe the 500 GB SSD (which is a bit too small for current games). Updated the post.

e: If it helps, I can probably stretch the budget up to 2k but really can't go above that. Updated the post.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 9, 2020

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

ETPC posted:

so a zen 2 and 3080 would pretty much carry me through next gen?

Unless you are in true high refresh territory, yes on cpu front

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i'd be upgrading from a i7-7700k and a 1070. i currently play everything at 1920x1200 but eventually i want to get a 4k panel (waiting for HDR to stop being fucky on pc first though)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

ETPC posted:

i'd be upgrading from a i7-7700k and a 1070. i currently play everything at 1920x1200 but eventually i want to get a 4k panel (waiting for HDR to stop being fucky on pc first though)

4K gaming is almost entirely dependent on your graphics card. Like the gap between a stock 3700X and an overclocked 10900K at 4K is low single digit FPS, it gives you 98.4% of the FPS for hundreds less or some poo poo.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-10900k/17.html

The CPU becomes the limiting factor as resolution drops simply because the GPU has less to do.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ETPC posted:

My 7700k is carrying fine at 1440. You should be fine @4k.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

sean10mm posted:

4K gaming is almost entirely dependent on your graphics card. Like the gap between a stock 3700X and an overclocked 10900K at 4K is low single digit FPS, it gives you 98.4% of the FPS for hundreds less or some poo poo.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-10900k/17.html

The CPU becomes the limiting factor as resolution drops simply because the GPU has less to do.

This makes me want to forego waiting on the Zen 3 and just grab a 3700x for 1440p...

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Yeah, I don't think the value proposition of the 3700X just changed overnight. It's a better version of the 8 core Zen 2 in the next-gen consoles that all games are going to be made to run on first and foremost for the next 5 years or whatever, it's $80 cheaper than the 10700K while being nowhere near the stupid heat pig that thing is.

If you go with the 5600X for the same price you gain a measurable (but probably not that significant IRL) performance gain in games while losing cores and threads that may (or may not) matter down the line.

You go with the 5800X/5900X/5950X for gaming not because it's necessary by any stretch or a good value, but because you have the budget and want more CPU.

(There may be real life work where it's actually worth paying for the more powerful CPUs as well.)

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
My Haswell E3-1246 finally gave up the ghost so I'm looking to swap out CPU/motherboard/RAM (video card is a GTX1080)

My head is spinning a bit with all the motherboard chipsets so just thought I'd ask for a quick sanity check. If I want to minimize my spend now and keep an upgrade path for future releases, I should get a Ryzen 3600 and pair it with an A520 chipset motherboard? It seems like if I don't care about PCIe 4.0 I can save a few bucks using A520 over B550 and still be able to slot in the next generation of Ryzen CPU if I want to? It doesn't really seem like PCIe 4.0 will be an issue for me as I don't really try to push max settings for my games.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, I don't think the value proposition of the 3700X just changed overnight. It's a better version of the 8 core Zen 2 in the next-gen consoles that all games are going to be made to run on first and foremost for the next 5 years or whatever, it's $80 cheaper than the 10700K while being nowhere near the stupid heat pig that thing is.

If you go with the 5600X for the same price you gain a measurable (but probably not that significant IRL) performance gain in games while losing cores and threads that may (or may not) matter down the line.

You go with the 5800X/5900X/5950X for gaming not because it's necessary by any stretch or a good value, but because you have the budget and want more CPU.

(There may be real life work where it's actually worth paying for the more powerful CPUs as well.)

Yeah that's where I'm at but luckily not in a huge hurry. I've got the budget to go for a 5900 but if they only have limited quantities at launch (hopefully less of an issue with the higher price) then I'll probably just get the 3700x. Either way my current CPU has lasted 9 (!) years and still isn't terrible but I can bet the next one will last a long time too. Makes the higher price easier to swallow/justify. :v:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

roffles posted:

My Haswell E3-1246 finally gave up the ghost so I'm looking to swap out CPU/motherboard/RAM (video card is a GTX1080)

My head is spinning a bit with all the motherboard chipsets so just thought I'd ask for a quick sanity check. If I want to minimize my spend now and keep an upgrade path for future releases, I should get a Ryzen 3600 and pair it with an A520 chipset motherboard? It seems like if I don't care about PCIe 4.0 I can save a few bucks using A520 over B550 and still be able to slot in the next generation of Ryzen CPU if I want to? It doesn't really seem like PCIe 4.0 will be an issue for me as I don't really try to push max settings for my games.

PCIe 4.0 doesn't even matter right now if you use an RTX 3080 at 4K Ultra Nightmare settings or some poo poo.

Where it's more likely to matter is with storage, but even there the current PCIe 4.0 x4 SSDs don't even win all the benchmarks vs. PCIe 3.0 x4 SSDs because the controllers on the SSDs aren't mature yet. Maybe the Rocket 4.0 Plus and 980 Pro will change that, but I expect they'll be overcharging for a largely theoretical advantage for a while there.

That said I tend to be leery of going mega cheap on motherboards because a) they're the foundation of your entire build, and b) when I've done it myself I inevitably find the lower tier BIOS is missing some feature I wish it had a year or two later. Like the fan control is markedly stupider/buggier or some crap like that. I mean an MSI B550M Pro-VDH is only $110 for a solid little platform that's on par with the old B450 Tomahawk MAX recommendation for gaming builds but with newer features.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
What country are you in? UK
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Around £1,200
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Currently 1920x1200 @ 60Hz, but my next monitor will probably be 1440p 144Hz. I don't need everything cranked to ultra, I've never owned a PC that can achieve that and I'm at the point where my PC is below the min specs for a lot of games.

For reference, I'm updating from (please don't laugh):
CPU: Core i5 4670k
Motherboard: ASUS Z87M Plus
Memory: 8GB Corsair XMS3
GPU: Radeon R9 270 2GB

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£188.99 @ AWD-IT)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£48.94 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£119.99 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£86.12 @ SmartTeck.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For £0.00) - Carry over from my current PC.
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£98.47 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card (£410.40 @ Alza)
Note: I don't have the time/patience to play the F5 game and snag a 3000 series card, so my plan was to immediately enroll in step-up and trade this out for a 3070. Nvidia pushing the 3070 release back to the end of Oct has kinda messed me up a little bit, so I might have to hold fire until a 3070 model appears in the step-up list.
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (£86.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£124.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P14 PST 72.8 CFM 140 mm Fan (£15.25 @ SmartTeck.co.uk)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan (£8.43 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1203.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-09 23:14 BST+0100

Please critique my choices. I've been fully whelmed by the Zen 3 announcement/pricing, and anything I buy is going to be a comically good upgrade from what I have now, hence the 3600. One consideration I do have is noise, this is going to live in my bedroom and my partner can be sensitive to fan noise so I've gone OTT on cooling to try and keep the volume down.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Quick question and I figured this would be the appropriate place. Is the Aorus boards the only ones with 3 m2 slots on it? This would be for an AM4 socket

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming
What's your budget? Who knows
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?: 1440p / 144mhz
How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? All of the Ultra

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($529.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($279.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.94 @ Office Depot)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1751.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-09 21:06 EDT-0400

How's this looking. I already have the 10900k and I know with the AMD news that a lot of the sphere are over there but I'm not going back to AMD for a good while thats just dumb poo poo on my end, I get it, I really do, I just don't trust AMD lmaoooooo

I have a 1080ti i'm gonna slot in there until i can get a 3080/3070 hopefully but I originally had an Asus board on there but there were reports of the ethernet hardware they used by Intel being all sorts of hosed up and I couldn't find concrete evidence that it's been solved/fixed.

Asema fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 10, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

jammyozzy posted:

What country are you in? UK
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Around £1,200
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Currently 1920x1200 @ 60Hz, but my next monitor will probably be 1440p 144Hz. I don't need everything cranked to ultra, I've never owned a PC that can achieve that and I'm at the point where my PC is below the min specs for a lot of games.

For reference, I'm updating from (please don't laugh):
CPU: Core i5 4670k
Motherboard: ASUS Z87M Plus
Memory: 8GB Corsair XMS3
GPU: Radeon R9 270 2GB

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£188.99 @ AWD-IT)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£48.94 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£119.99 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£86.12 @ SmartTeck.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For £0.00) - Carry over from my current PC.
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£98.47 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card (£410.40 @ Alza)
Note: I don't have the time/patience to play the F5 game and snag a 3000 series card, so my plan was to immediately enroll in step-up and trade this out for a 3070. Nvidia pushing the 3070 release back to the end of Oct has kinda messed me up a little bit, so I might have to hold fire until a 3070 model appears in the step-up list.
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (£86.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£124.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan (£8.43 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1203.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-09 23:14 BST+0100

Please critique my choices. I've been fully whelmed by the Zen 3 announcement/pricing, and anything I buy is going to be a comically good upgrade from what I have now, hence the 3600. One consideration I do have is noise, this is going to live in my bedroom and my partner can be sensitive to fan noise so I've gone OTT on cooling to try and keep the volume down.

This all looks pretty good to me tbh, I'd just wait until the 3070 is on EVGA's step-up list before pulling the trigger on that.

I think the Arctic F14 that tops out at like 1300 RPM is the quieter model if noise is a concern.

Asema posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($529.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($279.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.94 @ Office Depot)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1751.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-09 21:06 EDT-0400

How's this looking. I already have the 10900k and I know with the AMD news that a lot of the sphere are over there but I'm not going back to AMD for a good while thats just dumb poo poo on my end, I get it, I really do, I just don't trust AMD lmaoooooo

I have a 1080ti i'm gonna slot in there until i can get a 3080/3070 hopefully but I originally had an Asus board on there but there were reports of the ethernet hardware they used by Intel being all sorts of hosed up and I couldn't find concrete evidence that it's been solved/fixed.

I would cool that 10900K WAY more. Like stick a D15 on it or even a fuckoff big AIO (which might make you want to move to a bigger case like the Meshify S2 that can mount a bigger radiator and fit longer graphics cards even with a front rad). Especially if you OC that thing the power draw & heat output can get frankly loving stupid, like 320 watts stupid. A 3080 is like another 320+ on top of that, so if you're OCing you'd have one of the few PCs that IRL might want more than a 750W PSU.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 10, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sean10mm posted:

This all looks pretty good to me tbh, I'd just wait until the 3070 is on EVGA's step-up list before pulling the trigger on that.

I think the Arctic F14 that tops out at like 1300 RPM is the quieter model if noise is a concern.

I would cool that 10900K WAY more. Like stick a D15 on it or even a fuckoff big AIO (which might make you want to move to a bigger case like the Meshify S2 that can mount a bigger radiator and fit longer graphics cards even with a front rad). Especially if you OC that thing the power draw & heat output can get frankly loving stupid, like 320 watts stupid. A 3080 is like another 320+ on top of that, so if you're OCing you'd have one of the few PCs that IRL might want more than a 750W PSU.

Noctua NH-D15?

I have absolutely zero experience with water cooling so I'm trying to go with just straight air since I'm not planning on OC anything. What would be a good PSU to aim for?

Asema fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 10, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Asema posted:

Noctua NH-D15?

I have absolutely zero experience with water cooling so I'm trying to go with just straight air since I'm not planning on OC anything. What would be a good PSU to aim for?

That's the one.

If you are doing zero overclocking the 750 should be perfectly fine, but if you were overclocking both a 3080 and a 10900K you might find yourself not having much headroom.

I think most people get a 10900K as an overclocking "toy" because it can hit CRAZY NUMBER GHZ, but practically speaking it's a monster CPU stock and OCing it takes it from a hot power hog to a space heater.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 10, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sean10mm posted:

That's the one.

If you are doing zero overclocking the 750 should be perfectly fine, but if you were overclocking both a 3080 and a 10900K you might find yourself not having much headroom.

Reading more into it between the i7 and i9, should I just drop that down to the i7-10700k? I'm not going to do 4k anytime soon, I rarely stream, and now you've got me worried about heat and power lmao :s

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Asema posted:

Reading more into it between the i7 and i9, should I just drop that down to the i7-10700k? I'm not going to do 4k anytime soon, I rarely stream, and now you've got me worried about heat and power lmao :s

Yeah, by the time one is obsolete both are.

Its like a 3090 basically.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Asema posted:

GamersNexus thought the 10700K was actually a worse choice than the 10900K or 10600K. Basically get the 10900K if you want the most XTREME intel CPU, and skip down to the 10600K for something more sane. The 10600K is too close to the 10700K for how much cheaper it is, basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UMMPjqLe8g

Funny enough, AMD's own 5800X seems to fall into kind of the same trap vs. AMD"s own 5900X and 5600X (and the 3700X and 3600...) :haw:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like I said, the i9 is already bought and paid for so is it enough to cancel that, wait for the refund, and grab the i5-10600k or just go with it?

I may have been real quick with buying it due to coworkers hyping it up and saying how rare it was to be in stock so this is 100% on me lmaoooo