Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

zoux posted:

Hades is the only roguelike though, right?

Yeah, and the roguelike "genre" (using the phrase loosely) is really the frame that allowed them to synthesize all these elements together, imo. In a way it feels almost like the missing link from their previous games — what they had been building towards without even knowing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Fallout new vegas roguelike when

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

minya posted:

Yeah, and the roguelike "genre" (using the phrase loosely) is really the frame that allowed them to synthesize all these elements together, imo. In a way it feels almost like the missing link from their previous games — what they had been building towards without even knowing it.

100% this.

It's one of those strokes of genius that seems completely obvious in retrospect because it just fits together so well

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

This might not be new to anyone but since we're on the subject of the development process, Danny O'Dwyer did a five part series of documentaries on just that. The first part came out alongside the game's early access launch in December 2018 and the final one released last month when the game hit 1.0.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-THgg8QnvU4JEVov1tMlFThNYS92F8uC

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Do you get anything for putting more heat on a run than you need to?

Like, if i can tackle heat 2, can i jump straight to it with a weapon i've not cleared heat 0 or 1 with and get all of the rewards simultaneously?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The game will let you know as it becomes relevant

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kin posted:

Like, if i can tackle heat 2, can i jump straight to it with a weapon i've not cleared heat 0 or 1 with and get all of the rewards simultaneously?

Heat 0 is special, and its rewards can only be achieved while at exactly 0. All other heats can be overshot. You won't get multiple rewards, but the way the 1 heat rewards work is that while the minimum heat is 1, you will get those rewards as long as your heat is at least 1. Then, once you escape with at least 1 heat, the minimum heat bumps up to 2, and you get rewards for having at least 2 heat. And so on, up to 20, where the rewards stop.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kin posted:

Not really. You get the rewards from the lowest uncomplete heat (excluding heat 0.)

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Skimmed the thread but wound up skipping to the end to avoid spoilers. Are there any recommended reasonably spoiler-free general guides / videos? I've spent an embarrassing amount of time in this game, and having fun with it, but the best I've done is getting to Hades' second health bar and dying shortly thereafter.

I did find one video that was helpful, explaining just how significant wall / ledge / body slams are, and just knowing that has helped a lot, but clearly there's real basic stuff I'm just not paying attention to. Still, just that alone led to a funny run - I decided to do a bunch of quick throwaway runs to work on prophecies, so I turned off death defiance and grabbed the bow, fully expecting to just suicide out in chamber 5 or something. I also took the Chaos keepsake.

First boon was Poseidon attack knockback, then Poseidon special, then the rapid fire hammer upgrade for the bow, then 2 Chaos boons which each gave me +48% special damage, all before the end of Tartarus. I was just slamming mobs everywhere and just bullying everything. Picked up Athena dash and even managed to beat Elysium (for the first time with the Bow, no less.) Still, I had been making goofy choices for prophecies during the run and just marveling at how I kept not dying, and I sold as many boons as I could before entering Styx just so I could anvil up some more prophecy aspects for my bow. Then I ate it.

Feel really good that I got so far on a throwaway run though.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 9, 2020

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Oxyclean posted:

Not really. You get the rewards from the lowest uncomplete heat (excluding heat 0.)

Weird, I read something on a previous page about someone slapping on a whole bunch of heat for a specific escape attempt and getting a shed load of rewards in one go.

Are you all saying there's no point in popping on say, heat up to 10 when I've only cleared heat 2 on a weapon?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Kin posted:

Weird, I read something on a previous page about someone slapping on a whole bunch of heat for a specific escape attempt and getting a shed load of rewards in one go.

Are you all saying there's no point in popping on say, heat up to 10 when I've only cleared heat 2 on a weapon?

they were doing that to fulfill a prophecy that requires you to escape under certain heat conditions, so while they only got the standard bounties for the heat, the prophecy paid out a bunch

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do you have to beat each of the Furies solo to fill out their stories, or do Extreme Measures wins count too?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know you guys were talking about this the other day but what are the easier pact conditions?

I know time limit and EMs are first but I've been deciding between calesthenics and jury summons when I need to up the heat by just one.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've been fine with increased costs. (Forgot the name)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

don't think I like hidden aspect exagryph very much :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

zoux posted:

I know you guys were talking about this the other day but what are the easier pact conditions?

I know time limit and EMs are first but I've been deciding between calesthenics and jury summons when I need to up the heat by just one.

if you're on a fast weapon, the shield one is basically free heat - at least early on, I haven't hit 10 yet

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

zoux posted:

Extreme Measures 1 only makes the first boss harder, and also funner.

Ciaphas posted:

The thing to remember with Lucy is that sustained fire stops you from running, but not dodging.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Beowulf seems really clunky; dragon rush is just a worse Hera bow and the special feels bad compared to the base Aegis.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ciaphas posted:

The rhythm of it feels even more awkward than normal exagryph, especially late game where opportunities to plant your feet and fire are few and far between. I just ended up taking Poseidon dash and loads of other boons to make that more effective including the Zeus duo one. I didn't fire at all in the final fight and only got hit once.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

metasynthetic posted:

Skimmed the thread but wound up skipping to the end to avoid spoilers. Are there any recommended reasonably spoiler-free general guides / videos? I've spent an embarrassing amount of time in this game, and having fun with it, but the best I've done is getting to Hades' second health bar and dying shortly thereafter.

I did find one video that was helpful, explaining just how significant wall / ledge / body slams are, and just knowing that has helped a lot, but clearly there's real basic stuff I'm just not paying attention to. Still, just that alone led to a funny run - I decided to do a bunch of quick throwaway runs to work on prophecies, so I turned off death defiance and grabbed the bow, fully expecting to just suicide out in chamber 5 or something. I also took the Chaos keepsake.

First boon was Poseidon attack knockback, then Poseidon special, then the rapid fire hammer upgrade for the bow, then 2 Chaos boons which each gave me +48% special damage, all before the end of Tartarus. I was just slamming mobs everywhere and just bullying everything. Picked up Athena dash and even managed to beat Elysium (for the first time with the Bow, no less.) Still, I had been making goofy choices for prophecies during the run and just marveling at how I kept not dying, and I sold as many boons as I could before entering Styx just so I could anvil up some more prophecy aspects for my bow. Then I ate it.

The most important part to getting better, imo, (and this is easier said than done), is figuring out what advantages you have that you can double down on. Do you have a weapon with a strong base attack, like Shield with Zagreus aspect boosted (if you don't know what that means you will in no time at all)? Try to grab a Chaos boon that boosts base damage and then grab a boon that has a high +atk% boost, like Aphrodite or Athena.

Or maybe you have a weapon with a distance attack where it's easy to quickly tag enemies, like the shield or the spear or the gun (arrow less so because of charge time). In that case, adding a status boon like Doom or even Hangover can be really helpful to keep the pressure on enemies while maintaining distance, so finding a good status effect and then stacking more boons to make that status effect more powerful are really helpful.

The best way to learn which gods do what is to focus on their status effects:

Aphrodite = Weak
Ares = Doom
Artemis = Critical
Athena = Deflect
Demeter = Chill
Dionysus = Hangover
Hermes = Dodge / Attack Speed
Poseidon = Knockback
Zeus = Lightning

Over time, you'll memorize these and you'll come to know intuitively which combinations work well together and which support the advantages of the weapon / aspect / Daedalus hammers you have.

Basically, in the "ideal run," your:

Weapon
Weapon aspect (you'll discover this eventually)
Daedalus hammers
Boons

Should all reinforce each other in a kind of feedback loop.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

zoux posted:

Never do Calisthenics imo. I keep that at perma 0. 1 or 2 points of jury summons is ok but I prefer 1 point of convenience fee or 1 point of lasting consequences.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Hwurmp posted:

Do you have to beat each of the Furies solo to fill out their stories, or do Extreme Measures wins count too?

EM counts too. There’s always one “main” Fury you talk to and fight, with one or two others just popping up and firing a move off now and then during the fight

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Just got the Demeter + Artemis boon to make the Demeter call rotate and target faster.

Mama Mia that’s a fun duo

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

minya posted:

Basically, in the "ideal run," your:

Weapon
Weapon aspect (you'll discover this eventually)
Daedalus hammers
Boons

Should all reinforce each other in a kind of feedback loop.

Also consider mirror talents and keepsakes.

EG: the first talent is a choice between damage vs. full hp or backstab damage. The former is better for weapons/builds with a lot of upfront damage vs. rapid hitters.

e: Or well, damage vs full hp is less good with rapid hit weapons.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Also consider mirror talents and keepsakes.

EG: the first talent is a choice between damage vs. full hp or backstab damage. The former is better for weapons/builds with a lot of upfront damage vs. rapid hitters.

e: Or well, damage vs full hp is less good with rapid hit weapons.

Yeah, where I find keepsakes especially helpful is in "nudging" your build in the right direction, when you want to double down on certain boons/status effects and making it more likely that they'll appear.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wow, unless this works on bosses I just found out that poseidon aspect + blizzard shot is an anti-synergy :cry: (e) Nope, sure doesn't! :cry::cry:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 10, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Don't forget, you can sell boons at Pools of Purging.

I don't know if anything really synergizes with the Poseidon effect except Exit Wounds.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 10, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the bonus cast damage is at least something if you wanted to run a cast-focused build

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My recommendation for early Heat is Forced Overtime 2 and Tight Deadline 3. Tight Deadline sounds scarier than it actually is, it literally has no effect on the enemies, and Forced Overtime is just Turbo Mode, it might take a couple of runs for you to acclimatize to the speed but after you do it's just free Heat. It also synergizes with Tight Deadline, because enemies spawn faster and therefore you get to clean up floors faster.

After that start adding Extreme Measures up to 3 and Middle Management/the one that gives enemies shields. Eventually you can just go Tight Deadline 4 too.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FO2 is just too goddamn fast for me. I can tolerate FO1 but stepping it up is going to take a lot of practice from me. Tight Deadline is super lax. 36 minutes at the lowest level is a lot of leeway. Even 28 for the second level is a lot.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

metasynthetic posted:

That's great. It's often a really good idea to do weird experimental runs like this because you'll end up finding combinations that work extremely well that you would never have anticipated and probably actively avoided otherwise. It seems like everybody kind of develops and locks into an idea of what is good and bad and what "works" for them as they play. This is often based on whatever weapon and boons they have their first successes with or whatever most closely aligns with their instincts as they are first coming to the game. My experience as I've played more is that these notions we develop are often wrong and make us miss out on strategies and builds that are ridiculously powerful and fun. I've got over 300 hours in Hades so far and I'm still tripping onto combinations that surprise me, even really simple and obvious ones sometimes.

Funky Valentine posted:

Beowulf seems really clunky; dragon rush is just a worse Hera bow and the special feels bad compared to the base Aegis.

I love Hera bow too, but Beowulf has some distinct advantages to it. The biggest one is that it's much easier to trigger Privileged Status because it's much less finicky to hit simultaneously with the charge and the casts. Hera projects casts out forward, so I find it's easy to overshoot a target when you hit with the attack shot. Strangely, I also like that the casts don't ever seem to embed with Beowulf. It's really easy to get into a rhythm with your attacks because you almost never have to wait for your stones to drop and you end up right next to them automatically.

EDIT - Also, I literally never use the special on Beowulf. The charge and cast are so good that there's almost never a reason to do so. I guess if you've got some rear end in a top hat witch camped over a big lava pool spraying shots everywhere, but otherwise...

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 10, 2020

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Ciaphas posted:

Wow, unless this works on bosses I just found out that poseidon aspect + blizzard shot is an anti-synergy :cry: (e) Nope, sure doesn't! :cry::cry:

It isn't anti-synergy, because a +50% cast bonus is quite strong. Take a look around at how many other options there are for a bonus to cast damage (the boon that gives bonus dmg to bosses from poseidon is only +40% max). If you grab blizzard shot, wave pounding (+x% dmg vs bosses), rupture (dot on knockback effect), decay on chill from demeter, and +dmg when you have no gems from demeter you'll have a very strong cast base. Still have 2 god slots for other status effects as well.

Poseidon aspect is good enough that using it for cast builds that completely ignore the dislodge effect is perfectly viable (I've been using it with the 'cast regen' mirror just fine).

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I really wanted to like Beowulf but the charge feels super finicky to me. There seems to be a lag between the physical hit and the cast damage so it's easy to charge in and trade a hit when you're trying to kill something.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Does the Poseiden sword work on the non-buryable Casts? Like, can you turn off the Festive Fog if you miss?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

WarpedLichen posted:

I really wanted to like Beowulf but the charge feels super finicky to me. There seems to be a lag between the physical hit and the cast damage so it's easy to charge in and trade a hit when you're trying to kill something.

I don't think there's any "seems" about it. There's clearly a short delay, as there also are between each cast going off. I don't know, but I suspect that's there to ensure that all the damage and status effects are applied correctly. However, there's no reason for a damage trade there because you don't have to wait after you get done with your charge. Your casts go off at point of impact even if you're somewhere else entirely. So you're free to dash away safely. One of my favorite things to do with Beowulf is to cast charge and then cancel out at the end with a dash-attack to get safely to the rear of the target.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Does the fan show up after you have beaten Elysium's boss? because i think on my fifth or so victory i noticed and it was so drat adorable

I tried a run and almost died to the final boss, but that's only because i decided to borrow money at Tartarus. I figured out the pattern very quickly, but I let him hit me once and he hits like a truck.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Thanks for the advice, guys. Funnily enough, I finally succeeded on my very next real attempt! And with a build somewhat similar to the accidental one from earlier:

The RNG was super kind to me, I only wound up ever having one boon pick that was bad enough to merit a reroll, which is why I have 5 sitting around. My pattern was to lob a trippy shot, tag him with doom, then drill with rapid fire main attack. Impending Doom's downside was actually beneficial because it made it easier to keep the curse active for Privileged Status. Apart from that, all my support boons were just really solid, including a Chaos boon to up my base attack damage, since Poseidon's boon is lacking in that department.

I also realized that, I think one of my mistakes on earlier runs was to try dashing out of his big sweep attack, which seems really difficult or maybe impossible without boons to improve dash range. Instead, I dashed towards him, trying to time the iframes better, and it worked at least as well as trying to get out and failing. Plus with Athena dash I was deflecting his hits back much of the time too.

Honestly, I'm coming to realize that Athena dash is so drat good, at least as a beginner. It's super helpful vs Theseus which is the only other fight that really gives me trouble.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 10, 2020

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Yeah Beowulf is the one Im disliking most so far. 34 minute clears vs 27 average lol

Edit:^^ yeah dodging INTO his sweeps is something Im still trying to get down. You reflexively want to back out, but then the second hits.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Nah Beowulf is great, just don't...be bad.

Like seriously, don't look at it as a worse Hera bow, it's a better shield as long as you don't take damage, and shield is already the best weapon at avoiding damage. Charge the shield, slam into enemies, repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Maybe my targeted boons are the problem? I went for Aphrodite damage on attack due to the perceived slow speed.

Its a safe weapon, yeah, but the damage I was getting felt bad. Any tips on better boons for Beowulf?

Edit: anyone use mods with this btw? 95% feel like blatant cheats, but the Starting Boon Selector mod seems it would be fun for minmax and gimmick runs.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 10, 2020