Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
oh i guess if you use gloves. theyre basically a run ending item to me just as a holdover from s1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

IronicDongz posted:

good point of comparison. lol

one of these games has been on steam for 5 years and the other has been on steam for 2 weeks

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/screencuisine/status/1314061998947147776

:popeye:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
A crude merging of 3 overlapping screenshots via MSPaint but, in my best Chandler Bing impression:

"Could there be any more arrow traps?!"

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

IronicDongz posted:

with the way most levels are designed I rarely feel like jetpack gives me a very big boost over cape+gloves tbh. like your vertical mobility is weaker but frankly I sometimes prefer the slow float over being able to rise quickly without ropes

In my ideal run, I'd have a jetpack up to exactly the point that I got a kapala and then immediately have a cape from that point on

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Blurgh, 5 minute gauntlet in 6-4 ended in my defeat (and a ton of slowdown)

Question regarding that level:

Do the whip hits actually damage her? I landed 4 or 5. Seems like sticky bombs don't work, should I be baiting a shout and then landing a sticky bomb? The bit underneath her got covered in Scorpions and Yeti which ended up slowing the game down to a crawl which made accurate jumping kinda sketchy. I'm betting a shotgun is the real answer and just bombing the platforms near her to shoot from afar but I didn't have one to use.

What's with the crossbow? I used one for a while and then my arrow broke. I figured I could keep using it but I guess not. This was with the one from the Star Challenge you can use to light torches.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Was a great run overall for me though, first time Ankh, unlocked two characters, completed the Star Challenge and totally wasted the item you get as a reward. Good times.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

how far away was i from finishing
this is the first time ive made it past the first stage of neo babylon lol

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

ArfJason posted:

how far away was i from finishing
this is the first time ive made it past the first stage of neo babylon lol

that is this games equivalent of Yama.

Howeverrrrrrr there is another super duper secret zone after that, that has yet to be solved

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
im super happy to hear both things

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Jolo posted:

Blurgh, 5 minute gauntlet in 6-4 ended in my defeat (and a ton of slowdown)

Question regarding that level:

Do the whip hits actually damage her? I landed 4 or 5. Seems like sticky bombs don't work, should I be baiting a shout and then landing a sticky bomb? The bit underneath her got covered in Scorpions and Yeti which ended up slowing the game down to a crawl which made accurate jumping kinda sketchy. I'm betting a shotgun is the real answer and just bombing the platforms near her to shoot from afar but I didn't have one to use.

What's with the crossbow? I used one for a while and then my arrow broke. I figured I could keep using it but I guess not. This was with the one from the Star Challenge you can use to light torches.

regarding 6-4

Yes the whip does damage her. If I end up with no weapons, my strategy is to bomb the right platform once (it's closer to her head), then from the half damaged platform jump and whip her once while landing on one of her wrist rests, then quickly run away before she shouts. Rinse and repeat. It's tedious cause you only have time to whip her once each time. You can use ropes to speed the process up so you don't have to ride bubbles up every time.

Do the sticky bombs just not attach to her head or something?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I really wish I could opt in to a beta of even lovely online coop

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Quick Question, are the Crown and Hedjet interchangeable or are they locked to tide pool / temple?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Quick Question, are the Crown and Hedjet interchangeable or are they locked to tide pool / temple?

Interchangeable.

Incidentally, thank you ai partner, for dropping a skull on me, reviving me with the ankh 2 levels early.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ArfJason posted:

Thats lame. I guess jetpacks needed weaknesses but come on, insta exploding sucks. It should be like the old orange frogs where it takes a bit for it to heat up and explode, give you a chance to uneuip it

that's a really good idea

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Interchangeable.

Incidentally, thank you ai partner, for dropping a skull on me, reviving me with the ankh 2 levels early.

hired hands are good for kali sacrifices, unlocking a certain shortcut, and not much else. occasionally I will throw one in a pit with a bunch of enemies to just see if he can take out a couple threats and hopefully die in the process but if I'm in jungle or somewhere else with a lot of tricky platforming/spikes I'll just kill the guy when i come up on any tough section

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I have mixed experiences with them in this game. Sometimes theyre a liability, and sometimes they help take out enemies in dangerous spots

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Starting from the shortcut, is there a way to get to the temple without having to waste all your bombs?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

yergacheffe posted:

Starting from the shortcut, is there a way to get to the temple without having to waste all your bombs?

I think you can anger the boss and get him to make the path for you

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

yergacheffe posted:

regarding 6-4

Yes the whip does damage her. If I end up with no weapons, my strategy is to bomb the right platform once (it's closer to her head), then from the half damaged platform jump and whip her once while landing on one of her wrist rests, then quickly run away before she shouts. Rinse and repeat. It's tedious cause you only have time to whip her once each time. You can use ropes to speed the process up so you don't have to ride bubbles up every time.

Do the sticky bombs just not attach to her head or something?

Sticky bomb 6-4

If she shouts with one stuck to her head it flies off. When you hit her in the head with a bomb I'm pretty sure it does damage so she shouts after that.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

yergacheffe posted:

Saw this on reddit today: "PSA: if you take the olmecs lair shortcut and throw a rope inbetween the second and third torch and jump olmec will come down and you will skip his first phase"

https://www.reddit.com/r/spelunky/comments/j88kx7/psa_if_you_take_the_olmecs_lair_shortcut_and/

https://www.reddit.com/r/spelunky/

Edit: just tried this out myself, you'll want to jump and throw the rope up, so that you can trigger olmec to start crushing through the top level

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 10, 2020

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I just walked into a 100% concealed snap trap on the tide pool behind some coral poo poo. What about this is fun/challenging? Is it really that hard to fix level gen to not put these instant death traps where you cant see them?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Finally reading some reviews and why does literally every one have a title like "Spelunky 2: An Apotheosis of Perfection" lol. Getting serious Pitchfork Kid A vibes from these reviews

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Polo-Rican posted:

Finally reading some reviews and why does literally every one have a title like "Spelunky 2: An Apotheosis of Perfection" lol. Getting serious Pitchfork Kid A vibes from these reviews

Spelunky created an entire genre of games, and this is the sequel to it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Polo-Rican posted:

It's a gud game. Also game reviews are some of the worst offenders of clickbaity headlines, because they're competing with well more competent steam reviews that don't blast you with ads.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Beat the game a while ago, did some achievements/finished the shortcuts, figured today I'd try speedrunning.

Played for two hours and got to Neo Babylon 4 or more times in around 5 minutes. Always have a shotgun and 20+ bombs though I've literally only gotten one jetpack in that time.

Obviously there's tons more restarts, but they're usually within 10 seconds of starting a run, so frankly speedrunning the game has been easier than playing it regular. And far, far less stressful than working towards the equivalent challenge in HD.

Madame Tusk spoiler:
Is there anything special about the Kali statue under her VIP place? Got in there and picked up the Jelly/Turkeys up top and a normal idol, but didn't bother futzing with the lasers in the basement. What's up with it?

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I agree with pretty much all of everyone's gripes about level 1 and the hidden bear traps can gently caress off but at the same time I do think this game is a masterpiece and deserving of basically all the praise its getting.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Interchangeable.

oh wait what the gently caress? why would anyone go the temple route if you can go black market -> tide pool?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Well drat, I released some of the helpers in Vlad's castle and went up to fight the big guy. My mad whipping must have knocked them about a bit because I suddenly found myself getting beaten to a pulp by my own allies. It had been going pretty well until that!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Here's the thing, I'm sure it looked like I accidentally blew myself up but I totally meant to spend 25k to start the star Challenge then ricochet the torch off a wall and into my back to blow myself up. I did it for fun. I totally meant to do exactly that.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Giggs posted:

Madame Tusk spoiler:
Is there anything special about the Kali statue under her VIP place? Got in there and picked up the Jelly/Turkeys up top and a normal idol, but didn't bother futzing with the lasers in the basement. What's up with it?

Pretty sure it's just there so you can sacrifice everyone at the party. Or maybe it's to imply something more insidious about the party. Or both?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t get why Madam Tusk has Van Helsing prisoner, either. Or what’s supposed to be in her locked room that got stolen. This isn’t really a game that supports complex lore or narrative.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

What the gently caress is the deal with Sparrow, how do I get her to spawn

I’ve just pissed off shopkeepers two dozen times in a row and found zero evidence of her existing once I get to Volcana

Also this

https://twitter.com/rottentunagames/status/1315044811863457792?s=21

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Had a lava golem suddenly walk into the shop I was standing in, detonate the shop keeper and the bombs and I couldn't get out fast enough cause the entrance was a kind of pit, so it blew me into an adjacent lava pool. Also I made it to Olmec for first time and him two blocks down till he nailed me.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Only made it past the ice caves like twice but so far this is probably my biggest disappointment of the year. There's not a single good new mechanic and the difficulty is ramped up so much that I'm already not interested in continuing, what a bummer.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sockser posted:

I’ve just pissed off shopkeepers two dozen times in a row and found zero evidence of her existing once I get to Volcana

I think you need to steal from them and then have you forgive you, which means not killing them

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Diephoon posted:

Pretty sure it's just there so you can sacrifice everyone at the party. Or maybe it's to imply something more insidious about the party. Or both?
Welp, I don't see why I'd ever bother trying to go back there, then.

Sockser posted:

I've just pissed off shopkeepers two dozen times in a row and found zero evidence of her existing once I get to Volcana
I haven't tried in a few days so I don't remember if I did anything in particular but you only need to steal from a shopkeeper. You can kill them, but I think you have to steal first, so if the ding-dong says "stop thief!" then you should be aight. I know you can be forgiven and she'll still spawn somewhere in 2-1. Her wood-door can be anywhere though, so you might just be insanely unlucky with hard-to-see spawns.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Getting reeeeeeeeal fed up of the mole iframes.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t get why Madam Tusk has Van Helsing prisoner, either. Or what’s supposed to be in her locked room that got stolen. This isn’t really a game that supports complex lore or narrative.

It's this but I'm not 100% why it's missing for me sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Calling 2 perfect is weird when it's mostly a harder 1 with more content. It's not an unambiguous improvement on 1 and for a new player I don't see any reason not to start with 1.

It's really more like an old school expansion pack or sequel. You were not supposed to start with anything except Wizardry 1 even after 2-4 had come out. Those were harder for more experienced players. Or Japanese Mario 2 which was just a harder 1. Expansions in the 90s were usually harder content for people who beat the game and wanted more challenge. It wasn't side content like usually today.

Yeah there are some cool features like mounts or the water physics. There are new more elaborate secrets. Those are secondary to how unforgiving it is and I think a proper refinement sequel would look pretty different.

Not in any way saying 2 is bad but I think those orgasmic reviews are weird. I already have more playtime on 2 than most 2020 games but it's not perfect.