Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

bessantj posted:

Mmm, a legend is born.

I'm confused now, because The Dragons have just come out to play in a badass pink kit, and I suddenly feel £100 poorer for wanting it!

The RDS looks so loving eerie without any fans, that they're going to need all the bright colours they can get. And miracles. They're going to need miracles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

I'm confused now, because The Dragons have just come out to play in a badass pink kit, and I suddenly feel £100 poorer for wanting it!

The RDS looks so loving eerie without any fans, that they're going to need all the bright colours they can get. And miracles. They're going to need miracles.

Dragons can't even wear a disappointing kit right.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Sale team have had 16 positive COVID tests and their game against Worcester tomorrow has been rescheduled due to them being unable to field a side. Meanwhile Northampton, who are self-isolating due to having played Sale on Tuesday, and are therefore also unable to field a side against Gloucester tomorrow, have been forced to forfeit the game :confused:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Imagine if Rob Baxter had got his way and they'd stopped testing players. What a mess.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Vaders Jester posted:

What a mess.

At this stage I'm just looking forward to Glasgow fans weird QAnon style conspiracy theories about how the SRU hate them when they get pumped by Zebre or something.

They hate everyone outside of the bypass.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Bath have made the playoffs in the best and most meaningful way: by opponent forfeit!

Sale did need a bonus point win to pip them so it doesn't feel wildly unjust, but still.

Also we're going to get kicked up and down the field by Exeter, but whevs

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

As much as it pains me to see something go well for Bath, I'm taking great solace in the thought of an absolutely livid Steve Diamond.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Steve Diamonds impotent rage keeps us all warm this coming winter.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dragons won yesterday, making what should have been a very easy, very big win a desperate fight. The true Dragons way.

Looks like World Rugby has gone ahead and banned trans athletes from elite and international level in the woman's game

quote:

World Rugby has become the first international sports federation to say transgender women cannot compete at the elite and international level of the women's game.

New guidelines published on Friday "do not recommend" transgender women play contact rugby "on safety grounds".

However, national unions can be flexible in their application of the guidelines at community level.

Transgender men remain permitted to play men's contact rugby.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
gently caress em

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

loving disgusting

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
gently caress that noise. I really don’t think there is any justification for that. How do we show our displeasure?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Fucksake World Rugby.

Trans women can't play rugby for safety reasons based around muscle mass and bone density differences but trans men are somehow immune to these same safety concerns... :cripes:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I suppose the argument would be that they're only endangering themselves, which does seem to oppose the general theory of player welfare and preventative intervention.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

It just shows that it has little to do with player welfare and all about protecting the game from an NFL style lawsuit.

If they were worried about size differentials, they would have the same welfare concerns with players like Fumiaki Tanaka and Faf de Klerk on the same pitch as your average professional forward.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I doubt it's anything to do with lawsuits, just a pressure group having found a way in. Happily a bunch of national unions have already politely told them to do one.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

There's a sports lawyer I follow on twitter who was involved in the initial report/panel and a lot of what he brought up was the legal side of things and that if injuries occurred, WR could be held responsible. Transphobic activist groups on the panel definitely didn't help either.

Glad some unions are telling them to gently caress off though.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 10, 2020

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
In other news, Danny Cipriani is doing colour for the first semi final, and is wearing the worst outfit I have ever seen.

It's like a formal shirt, ripped jeans, horse boots and a black leather jacket. Just awful

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

It's the untucked shirt that takes it from bad to "how do you do, fellow kids.".

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Vaders Jester posted:

It's the untucked shirt that takes it from bad to "how do you do, fellow kids.".

Yes!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Bath held out for fifteen minutes. Better than expected

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Holy gently caress, Hill has come five cm from getting himself sent off on a really stupid no arms clear out.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Argh and they've thrown away a golden opportunity with an avoidable accidental offside.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Annoyingly, it turns out Exeter are better than Bath :(

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Exeter are a nightmare to stop once they get any momentum.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Yeah. Bath have actually played really well, but hosed up their two actual try scoring chances and Exeter just got the choke in and throttled them.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

It's a shame that Exeter are run by unrepentant racists and a coach that thought it'd be a good idea to stop testing players because they're a really good team that can be fun to watch (if they're not playing your side).

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Well, that sucked, but despite the scoreline it wasn't an embarrassment

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Thought a fair few Bath players had really a really good game, just missed opportunities.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Gutted that Bristol won’t get to the finals. Hell of a season but at least we’ve got the challenge cup to think about

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Surprised at the Wasps-Bristol scoreline, Wasps have done a hell of a job turning their season around after sitting 10th at Christmas, should be a decent final too.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

slothrop posted:

gently caress that noise. I really don’t think there is any justification for that. How do we show our displeasure?

Support your local IGR-affiliated club, and help them encourage inclusivity at a grassroots level.

https://igrugby.org/find-a-club

The real danger of this decision is likely not it's effect on elite athletes, but the fact that it shuts so many doors for people playing at a community level. The IGR do not accept (or even need) donations, but your local IGR club can probably benefit from any financial or logistical donation, or even from word of mouth.

The more non-binary pre that join the rugby community, the more their presence becomes normalized, and the easier it is for this decision to get amended, when it's still inevitably being argued, a few years down the line.

If you don't have a local IGR team, then Pride Cymru does a lot of great work, and filters donations down to IGR rugby teams, to help fund all-weather training facilities, and new player recruitment.

https://www.pridecymru.com/charity/about/

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I know outrage is the default setting for anything trans but why do people think there is a separate category for women in the first place if not for protective and competitive reasons?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Have fun spending 60 hours next week running over a try line and placing a ball down properly.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Talk about dumb mistake followed by even dumber mistake. lol

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Smorgasbord posted:

I know outrage is the default setting for anything trans but why do people think there is a separate category for women in the first place if not for protective and competitive reasons?

Why create a separate category for women and exclude some women from it?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

BabyFur Denny posted:

Why create a separate category for women and exclude some women from it?

Because at the time you set up the category (for safety and competitive reasons to allow women to play) you didn't anticipate people from outside that category (edit: who possess many of the physical characteristics you intended to exclude for those same safety and competitive reasons) would or could enter it.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 11, 2020

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Smorgasbord posted:

Because at the time you set up the category (for safety and competitive reasons to allow women to play) you didn't anticipate people from outside that category would or could enter it.

Nobody from outside that category is entering it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

BabyFur Denny posted:

Nobody from outside that category is entering it though.

I edited at the same time you replied, but you know exactly what I mean - people who were born and developed as male and as a result have the physical characteristics that the categorisation was intended to exclude.