Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Nihonniboku posted:

I thought season 1 of The Boys was a chore to get through because it didn't do any of what it was trying to do spectacularly well, but everyone keeps on raving about season 2.

I merely liked season 1 for its novelty, season 2 is a revelation tho imo

and retroactively makes season 1 better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I watched Terminator: Dark Fate on Hulu and it was really bad (It didn't help that the movie seemed to be in 720p for some reason). Those first couple of minutes set high expectations though.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 10, 2020

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

3 episodes in and my wife and I are enjoying Haunting of Bly Manor.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I watched Terminator: Dark Fate on Hulu and it was really bad (It didn't help that the movie seemed to be in 720p for some reason). Those first couple of minutes set high expectations though.

I liked the parts where the cops and the ice agents got their poo poo hosed up by ol’ termsy.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

10 Beers posted:

3 episodes in and my wife and I are enjoying Haunting of Bly Manor.

I just finished the first episode and I’m totally on board. I loved the original season so I’m excited to continue!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
So far Bly Manor is definitely not “scary” for the first few episodes. Spooky, maybe, but you don’t have to worry about jump scares or horrifying imagery. In case that was holding anyone back.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I like scary movies, but I don't like jump scares or gore. I really liked the last Hill House and so far I'm liking Bly Manor, though I'm only on the second ep.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I mean Hill house was only like 5% spooky stuff if that, it was mostly emotional drama

Edit: in a good way

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
yes, but the spooky stuff was spookier. So far Bly Manor is more like a long shot for several seconds then maybe something moves slightly in the shadows. Hill House had poo poo IN YOUR FACE plus lots of background stuff that just wasn’t acknowledged.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
There's plenty of unacknowledged creepiness happening in the background of Bly, too :) Lots of hidden ghosts.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

snoot posted:

The Boys is great but the violence in it is so juvenile and unnecessary, it's like they asked a bunch of 14 year old boys what they'd want to see a supervillain do. Also Butcher and the C word - he said 'oval office' in every sentence during one long scene black noir at his relative's house, it wasn't offensive he just sounded like a dumbass trying to be edgy.

It's a shame as it's too much for a lot of people who would enjoy it otherwise.

It is considered differently where he is from.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I mean, Butcher is British, the author is Northern Irish and they are both from a generation where that word got a lot of use. Butcher is supposed to be a politically incorrect rear end in a top hat and murderer.

The show and source material are also supposed to be edgy as gently caress though and I don’t blame anybody for finding it obnoxious.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I live in Ireland and I'm female and it's pretty weird to me how the word is considered in America tbh. Everyone says it

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Simone Magus posted:

I live in Ireland and I'm female and it's pretty weird to me how the word is considered in America tbh. Everyone says it

Here in Scotland it's practically a term of endearment.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere
Edge of Tomorrow (Live Die Repeat) has appeared back on UK Amazon Prime.

Been meaning to watch it for a while and was pretty good. You forget Tom Cruise can be likeable, and having him railroaded into a grunt squad where he's completely out of his depth is very entertaining.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Simone Magus posted:

I'm English and female, if someone called me that I'd be really loving upset. Its a horrible word.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Sloth Life posted:

I'm English and female, if someone called me that I'd be really loving upset. Its a horrible word.

For sure but I thought we were talking about how boys often call each other that word, not how boys call women that word? Of course it's bad to call a woman that

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I'm way behind on this but I just watched the first season of PEN15. It's amazing but it also dredged up all my traumatic memories of being a middle school girl in the early 2000s. Anna Ishii-Peters was definitely the best episode, and the AIM and Spice Girls/racism ones were also great. The adult characters and actors are all wonderful, but I have to give a shout out to Becca's actress. She perfectly embodies all the middle school popular girls I've known. I have no idea how much this appeals to people who weren't in middle school around that time or men in general, but I'm so glad it exists. It feels like one of those shows that was made specifically for me.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm a slightly older (I was in 9th grade in 1999-2000) guy and I love PEN15. I find a lot of what the characters are going through relatable to my own adolescence experiences, does the uncomfortable awkwardness of being a tween ever really go away?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Boys has the best head explosions In a long time.

Primo head trauma.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

CelticPredator posted:

The Boys has the best head explosions In a long time.

Primo head trauma.

It's that or Ready or Not.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

“Evil”starts out sort promising but turns into boomer evening drama by the second episode.

it’s the first time in like 20 years I have watched a hokey network TV drama and it’s honestly pretty loving entertaining. Its kind of so bad it’s good.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Really enjoying Bly Manor. It's not particularly scary at all but spotting the ghosts in the background is so fun. They do a great job of hiding them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

Really enjoying Bly Manor. It's not particularly scary at all but spotting the ghosts in the background is so fun. They do a great job of hiding them.

Man I keep scanning the background and I can’t spot any of them fuckers

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Oh they're there. Most of them are full bodies in hallways or against walls. The trickiest one I've caught so far is I think Episode 2. It cuts to the dining room and there's a pair of hands on one of the chairs of the dining room table.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Haunting of Bly Manor is an incredible follow up to Hill House. It's a different story, but hits a lot of the familiar beats that made Hill House so good. A strong cast of characters, each with their own traumas and grief that usually have their own episode dedicated to exploring, the creepy and melancholy atmosphere, the winding mystery that twists and turns throughout the story, and a big scary mansion that's filled with a bunch of spooky ghosts in the background.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I feel that Hill was more uneven, but the peaks were way higher than Bly's — and personally I related more to the broken family in the former than the caricatures in the latter. Still enjoyed both seasons.

Edit: and I firmly believe that Oliver Jackson-Cohen must be an illegitimate child of Mark Strong.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 12, 2020

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The best part about Bly is they cast Mark from The Room as the fiance/groom

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I thought most of the individual stories of Bly Manor were good but they were all structured and tied together pretty poorly. Hill Houses marriage of complex ensemble drama tied together by a haunted house felt much more balanced and natural and connected where this was pretty disjointed.

The episode about Henry and the exhausting monologue by Jamie were definite low points and it was hard for me to get back into it after that. Like the idea of Henrys "inner demon" manifesting is interesting but felt super out of place and had no establishment or relation to the supernatual element of the show.

It really feels like Flannigan didnt want to really do this follow up because he only did the first episode and it really shows.

Overall, episodes 1-5 are great until its revealed the Lady of the Lake killed Peter. 6 and 8 are terrible, 7 is ok and the finale is good for the most part.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 13, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I actually would have liked Bly more if the black and white episode that explained everything had happened earlier in the season.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Shudder is an underrated service. Nightingale, Tigers Are Not Afraid, The Beach House, and La Llorona are all better than any movies Netflix has put out the past two years. Is there a shudder thread somewhere on here?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I actually would have liked Bly more if the black and white episode that explained everything had happened earlier in the season.

Yeah and I think I might have enjoyed it if it wasnt done in the storybook narration style but I guess that was the entire show too. I like the story and it was neccessary exposition but just felt really mishandled and way too late in the season.

Too many of the scenes that negated dialogue for voice over felt like watching a cheap historical reenactment show. The over exaggerated facial expressions and gesturing were laughable at times. Whenever it actually had the characters speaking and interacting like actual people it was fine.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel and got around to watching Extraction last night on Netflix

Wtf that was the most watched Netflix original ever? Was it huge in Bangladesh or something?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Bly is better than Hill House imo. They’re both family dramas/mysteries with ghost story framing but Bly actually has the acting to pull it off. Even the returning actors are better: The ET guy was a low point of hill house for me but he kills it in Bly (and Doctor Sleep, as an aside).

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

The Guest is back on Netflix (US) and it still rules.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

eighty-four merc posted:

I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel and got around to watching Extraction last night on Netflix

Wtf that was the most watched Netflix original ever? Was it huge in Bangladesh or something?

it has Thor in it

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Tim Whatley posted:

Oh they're there. Most of them are full bodies in hallways or against walls. The trickiest one I've caught so far is I think Episode 2. It cuts to the dining room and there's a pair of hands on one of the chairs of the dining room table.

My favourite ones in hill house was a scene in a bedroom I think where if you're paying attention you can see half a hand resting on the ground under a table. That gave me big chills.

EDIT for clarity: it wasn't half of a hand with the other part being cut off or something, it's just that the other part was obscured by the table

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

FishBowlRobot posted:

The Guest is back on Netflix (US) and it still rules.

Thanks for the heads up. Saw this in theatres and watched it again last night

It's like if john carpenter made one of those sinbad movies where a surprise house guest solves a family's problems his way, except the house guest is ultraviolent bizarro captain america

The sound design I remember being primo in the theatre was wasted on my laptop speakers but the soundtrack still slaps

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Yep The Guest is awesome. Might be my favorite genre movies of the last 10 years. Shame Adam Wingard hasn’t made a good movie since this and You’re Next (which is also awesome).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Death Note is fantastic, and for very similar reasons as The Guest, even.