Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Have any of Clines other books blown up the way RPO did? I'm pretty sure Armada got absolutely savaged when it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Have any of Clines other books blown up the way RPO did? I'm pretty sure Armada got absolutely savaged when it came out.

Like his first one should have been.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the main reason rpo got such great reviews is because critics didn't realize Cline wasn't in on his own joke

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Also, Ernest Cline can't even be bothered to make it like a year later or something because that would mean having to consider the consequences of the status quo changing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The Klowner posted:

I think the main reason rpo got such great reviews is because critics didn't realize Cline wasn't in on his own joke

Nah. Reading the actual reviews makes it clear that most of the critics weren't in on the home either. It's really embarrassing reading them.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The rumor is that Armada was Cline's first novel attempt and that it got shelved in favor of Ready Player One instead. Having read Armada, it really does come across as even more amateurish and clownshoes than RPO so I can see that being true.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ChickenMedium posted:

They've realized that their target audience is people who wish they were dead.

can confirm

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
my personal favorite bit of Cline's writing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrvAnPKv4Ro

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

My favorite thing about Ernest Cline is his second book was just The Last Starfighter but packed with tedious pop culture references which he definitely pulled out of a drawer after the success of Ready Player One.

My favorite thing about that book was there was some interview where someone straight up asked him "Isn't this just The Last Starfighter" and he answered something along the lines of "Yes, but as far as we know, no one has ever done The Last Starfighter set in a world where The Last Starfighter also existed as a movie".

God this loving guy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AceOfFlames posted:

My favorite thing about that book was there was some interview where someone straight up asked him "Isn't this just The Last Starfighter" and he answered something along the lines of "Yes, but as far as we know, no one has ever done The Last Starfighter set in a world where The Last Starfighter also existed as a movie".

God this loving guy

I can't lie that's kinda a big dick answer.

"No it's not this thing I ripped off, it's a ripoff in a world where that thing exists so everyone can know it's a ripoff"

Like, Cline's raw shamelessness is a little impressive

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Oh God, it's even worse:

https://www.theverge.com/2014/3/11/5492708/ernest-cline-is-the-luckiest-geek-alive-interview

quote:

Armada is about Zack Lightman, a boy who’s asked by the government to use his video game skills to stop an alien invasion. It might sound like a rip-off of The Last Starfighter, but there’s one key difference: in Armada, Lightman has seen The Last Starfighter. He’s probably seen it a dozen times, like Cline himself. "In a zombie apocalypse movie, nobody's ever seen a zombie movie," Cline says. "Or in an alien invasion movie, nobody has ever seen an alien invasion movie like Independence Day. That's what Armada is — if an alien invasion happened today, we'd be aware of all of that and reference all of this pop culture like Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and we would have expectations of how an alien invasion would go."

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

lol "will make the oasis 1000x more addictive" holy poo poo this thing was already killing the world

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AceOfFlames posted:

God this loving guy

The last starfighter is set in a world where it already existed as a videogame!!!!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The last starfighter is set in a world where it already existed as a videogame!!!!

It was an eponymous recruiting tool.

But yeah.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Movies have referenced their genre since at least the 90s, if not earlier.

WTH is he even talking about?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PeterCat posted:

Movies have referenced their genre since at least the 90s, if not earlier.

WTH is he even talking about?

Return of the Living Dead specifically subverts zombie movie tropes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

feedmyleg posted:

Nah. Reading the actual reviews makes it clear that most of the critics weren't in on the home either. It's really embarrassing reading them.

A lot of critics are the same demographic as the author, and the entire point of the book is that it's just wallowing in unfiltered incoherent nostalgia start to finish. It's the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny for boomers. By the second book the critics probably realised no one would take them seriously anymore.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of critics are the same demographic as the author, and the entire point of the book is that it's just wallowing in unfiltered incoherent nostalgia start to finish. It's the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny for boomers. By the second book the critics probably realised no one would take them seriously anymore.

That's exactly what happened. Nostalgia bait stuff has always been a thing but RPO doing it via a VR/video game sort of thing made it "new" to a lot of critics. People definitely knew what was up when Armada dropped though.

I think the worst thing Cline has ever or will ever do though will always be that weird spoken word poetry slam thing about how much he wants to gently caress nerdy girls that like Battlestar Galactica and is repulsed by blond women.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

I just rewatched Event Horizon recently and it is so loving good. The CGI is a bit dated and has that weird "90's CGI sheen" to things but it doesn't detract because the practical effects are fantastic.

Sam Neil and Lawrence Fishburne are such great leads and play off each other well. Another fun fact the ship was designed to look like a gothic cathedral.

I'm forever bitter we'll never get a director's cut of that movie.

Also fun fact about the design is that the warp drive/black hole drive is modelled after those depictions of angels with shitloads of eyes

And yes, the two leads are great. In fact, the whole cast is really good. Jason Isaacs (who's the doctor) has a good story about how the massive prosthetic dead body version of him was so well done that he felt compelled that take it home, since otherwise it would just be thrown out. He was keen on the idea until his wife asked him 'where the gently caress are we going to keep that?'

Laughing Zealot posted:

It's really easy to cross over from it being horrifying into just plain disgusting.

Or really funny, as all those very gory but very bad cheap horror films attest.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 11, 2020

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I will always say that Event Horizon has one of the best line readings ever and an actual smart captain.

"We're leaving."

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The third act of Event Horizon is really such a shame. It would be timeless and a classic, the first 2 acts are so much fun. Somehow the last one is bad enough to drag it down.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think what mostly works about Event Horizon is what makes Alien work as well. Take a bunch of blue collar schmo's in a futuristic setting, put them into an impossible situation, and they make a bunch of decisions that are pretty reasonable/the smart thing to do.

I think that does a much better job of selling the horror than the typical formula of having a bunch of morons do dumb poo poo constantly.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

That's exactly what happened. Nostalgia bait stuff has always been a thing but RPO doing it via a VR/video game sort of thing made it "new" to a lot of critics. People definitely knew what was up when Armada dropped though.

I think there's something to be said for his specific dumb version of nostalgia too. The whole "Yes, it looks exactly like Rivendale, the elf city from The Lord of the Rings" worked well for people who wanted mainline nostalgia and references spoonfed to them. But that's probably a one time high.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i'm rewatching Event Horizon now in the background and Fishburne's character is uncannily like Sigourney Weaver's character in Alien, absolutely practical and just want to get out of the stupid situation people claiming to be smarter than him says is "totally safe you guys lol". Such a fun film

E: lol I forgot that coop doing the iron man stunt years before The Martian which p much saved his crew mate

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 11, 2020

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Simplex posted:

I think what mostly works about Event Horizon is what makes Alien work as well. Take a bunch of blue collar schmo's in a futuristic setting, put them into an impossible situation, and they make a bunch of decisions that are pretty reasonable/the smart thing to do.

I think that does a much better job of selling the horror than the typical formula of having a bunch of morons do dumb poo poo constantly.

The space thing also makes it plausible that they even stay on the ship so long, whereas your usual haunted house movie has to come up with contriced reasons for the protagonist to not just nope out immediately.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Simplex posted:

"We're leaving" is one of the great underrated lines in all cinema.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Its kind of crazy when you look back at how influential the RE games have been. RE wasn't the first 3rd person survival game but it's success certainly blew up the genre. Attempting to improve the controls of the original games led to Onimusha which led to Devil May Cry which blew up into a whole genre of survival/fighting hybrids like Ninja Gaiden/God of War/Bayonetta. They even gave Kojima a crack at the franchise and he ended up inspiring the likes of Left 4 Dead and Vermintide.

I think Devil May Cry was literally Resident Evil 4 at one point, Kamiya started it and Capcom said "we like what you're doing here, but it's not Resident Evil" and let him work on it while they still worked towards the final Resident Evil 4.

The Klowner posted:

I think it was largely due to the critics not being familiar with geek/nerd culture, so it opened up a brand new world of imagination, whereas if you have passing familiarity and can distinguish clever writing from pandering, you'll hate RPO. It still doesn't explain how the critics lauded a book with such godawful prose, structure, tone shifts, sexual and racial politics, etc.

Elfgames posted:

lol "will make the oasis 1000x more addictive" holy poo poo this thing was already killing the world

OASIS wasn't responsible for killing the world, and it's shown as the one true escape people have from the horror and boredom of day-to-day existence, it's still hilarious because the end of the book and movie are "maybe people should go outside more often" but then the sequel's like "eh, gently caress it."

muscles like this! posted:

Return of the Living Dead specifically subverts zombie movie tropes.

Not only that, Return of the Living Dead directly references Night of the Living Dead and claims those events happened, and that Night of the Living Dead is a documentary sold as fiction to cover up the affair. Shaun of the Dead also has the whole "don't say the z-word" bit because the characters don't want to believe the zombie movies they saw are coming true.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I think it was largely due to the critics not being familiar with geek/nerd culture, so it opened up a brand new world of imagination, whereas if you have passing familiarity and can distinguish clever writing from pandering, you'll hate RPO. It still doesn't explain how the critics lauded a book with such godawful prose, structure, tone shifts, sexual and racial politics, etc.

A lot of critics are really poo poo at their jobs

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gen-Xers, not boomers. Just to be slightly nitpicky, but Cline and his audience are a specific group of gen-xers from a specific time and place. It's why the oasis seems so silly and stupid to anyone who's slightly younger than he is: it's a portrayal of the internet as described by someone who never really experienced or internalized the way internet culture actually works.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Blastedhellscape posted:

Gen-Xers, not boomers. Just to be slightly nitpicky, but Cline and his audience are a specific group of gen-xers from a specific time and place. It's why the oasis seems so silly and stupid to anyone who's slightly younger than he is: it's a portrayal of the internet as described by someone who never really experienced or internalized the way internet culture actually works.

A poster here (I think Jenny Angel?) said a major problem was there being a group of evil players named Sixers, so named because they all had played numbers beginning with 6, but none of the gunters (ugh) dressed up as Sixers and had numbers like 80085 or 42069 or anything mocking them.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Event Horizon's spindly, impractical, ribbed oval-ish corridor between the two parts of the ship, is one of those weirdly common motifs from sci-fi of the period - always puts me in mind of Lexx and, for some reason, Farscape - and I loved Laurence Fishburne's captain's chair that hung from the ceiling.

I seem to remember more of the Lewis & Clark crew having up close moments with the 'liquid' in the Event Horizon's gravity drive, though, not just the engineer - like a scene where the whole crew abruptly find themselves staring into the black, and their reflections move on their own or something - so it's a confused 'which of us is the reflection' moment. Is there more than one version of the film, or have I muddled it with something from a different film altogether?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

spincube posted:

Is there more than one version of the film, or have I muddled it with something from a different film altogether?

You're thinking of Sphere, I believe.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gonz posted:

Is this the Mandela effect thread?

Because I also felt like that was in EH

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Unless it was a deleted scene, I don't believe there was ever a scene in EH where the whole crew was in the engine room at once looking into an activated core.

I do remember, however, the artifact in Sphere initially not giving off reflections of anything around it, and every time someone went inside of it, their reflections appeared and started floating upwards.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

That said, it's been a while since I watched EH from start to finish, so it's entirely possible that I myself looked into the core and have been affected.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's Sphere.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

spincube posted:

Event Horizon's spindly, impractical, ribbed oval-ish corridor between the two parts of the ship, is one of those weirdly common motifs from sci-fi of the period - always puts me in mind of Lexx and, for some reason, Farscape - and I loved Laurence Fishburne's captain's chair that hung from the ceiling.

The Discovery from 2001: A Space Odyssey was built like that. the length of scaffolding separating the command/habitation module and the drive section, largely because the drive was a nuclear engine.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

spincube posted:

It's not impractical, there's a long corridor to keep the dangerous experimental engine away from where the crew actually live. Which was a drat good idea it turns out.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

I stand corrected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Is this the Mandela effect thread?

Because I also felt like that was in EH