Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I really liked it but I think that was heavily influenced by nostalgia. My group was very bad at high mortality tabletop rpgs in high school, but our GM was very good at improvising with our attempts to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hahaha holy gently caress I just watched Sleepaway Camp for the first time. I had so much to say about the first 83 minutes that are thrown out the window after the 84th. Speechless.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gripweed posted:

OK but what if the all powerful computer created to run the world ends up thinking like the supercomputer from that old comic book Grey, where it analyzed human psychology and history and came to the conclusion that our overriding goal is to annihilate ourselves?

What then?

Then you watch Britannia Hospital.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

feedmyleg posted:

I really want to hear the original track that played over the credits of The Blob. The studio forced the Bacharach song on them (it was that or Purple People Eater) and everyone was upset because the original opening credit song apparently built some real tension to try and set an ominous mood up top. It worked out as a huge marketing pull for the movie (and as a catch as hell song that is a huge part of the movie) but man what a tonal contrast from what they were going for.

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaaTY24Roto

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Watched Blair Witch 2 last night and was blown away at how terrible yet compelling it was. The soundtrack legitimately slaps but everything else is just a complete misfire which completely misses the point of the original.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Duckula posted:

Watched Blair Witch 2 last night and was blown away at how terrible yet compelling it was. The soundtrack legitimately slaps but everything else is just a complete misfire which completely misses the point of the original.

It was notoriously ruined by studio execs. I think there's a director's cut floating around, but I've never seen it.

Also saw Goblin (or one of the variations of Goblin touring) do a live score to Deep Red last year and it rocked \m/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Oh drat that's great. Certainly sounds like what the director talked about on the commentary! Wonder where that came from. It was a bit more generic than I'd hoped but I like it, sets up a wildly different mood.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

It was notoriously ruined by studio execs. I think there's a director's cut floating around, but I've never seen it.

there's apparently a very good fancut focused on the psychological elements but I've had no luck tracking it down

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'd the internet has taught me anything it's that if a omnicidal AI takes over all we have to do is hide inside cars and behind signs because robots don't know what they look like.

Or, it'd be confused by the pareidolia phenomenon and shoot at literally anything that it thinks has a human face. Cars, knotty trees, building facades. Everybody could just carve a bunch of jack-o-lanterns and leave them out and the AI bots would be busy for days.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

Also saw Goblin (or one of the variations of Goblin touring) do a live score to Deep Red last year and it rocked \m/

Oh man Im jealous. I love Goblin. I saw Fabio Frizzi do a live score of the Beyond and it was the best movie theater experience I've ever had.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Bly Manor is.. not good so far (3 eps in). It's boring. It lifts some imagery straight from The Innocents at times, and is a bit closer to the source material than Hill House was (though still padded with a bunch of new poo poo), but it's just uninteresting. It's also really dull to look at, which is a crime for this story.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Watched Phantasm for the first time on Amazon Prime yesterday and absolutely loved the atmosphere. Any lesser known horror movies free on Prime worth watching?

Edit: Almost forgot, are the old Universal Horror films up for streaming anywhere?

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 9, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Nckdictator posted:

Watched Phantasm for the first time on Amazon Prime yesterday and absolutely loved the atmosphere. Any lesser known horror movies free on Prime worth watching?

Check out Waxwork, Killer Klowns From Outer Space, The Stuff, City of the Living Dead, Eaten Alive, and The Church, just to name a few.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Nckdictator posted:

Almost forgot, are the old Universal Horror films up for streaming anywhere?

Archive.org has 54 of them labelled under "Universal Studios Monsters"

https://archive.org/details/movies?and%5B%5D=universal+studios+monsters&sin=

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Peacock also has a ton of them, many in their free section. I think that's with commercials while Internet Archive has none, but Pearcock might be easier to stream depending on your set up.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Haven't seen much mention of it here, but Nightstream started yesterday. So far I've watched Leap of Faith, the documentary/interview with William Friedkin about the making of The Exorcist, which had a lot of interesting stuff in it-- William Peter Blatty wrote a script for it that was pretty bad, for one thing. Also, a lot of people thought the opening in Iraq was a bad idea.

Also watched It Cuts Deep, which is a thriller (kinda) / dark comedy about a dude revisiting some bad poo poo from his past when he returns to his hometown with his girlfriend at a pivotal moment in their relationship. The first five or so minutes had me worried that it was going to be full of lovely tryhard jokes, but thankfully it actually ends up being pretty loving excellent. At the risk of spoiling stuff I don't want to say too much more about it other than it's showing again later today, and I'd encourage you all to check it out if you're able.

Also, Come True is playing today-- I saw it at the virtual Fantasia Fest last month. It's moody, really nicely shot, has an intriguing story, and completely loving blows it in the very last shot to a degree that's kind of amazing. It's such an obviously bad way to end things that it almost, alllllmoost comes back around to being good again, and makes me want to reservedly recommend it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nckdictator posted:

Too many to list. I watched Motel Hell last night and then spent a half-hour just scrolling through movies. I have analysis paralysis just trying to recommend anything, but I second all of Base's recommendations.

A funny thing about Amazon is that a lot of franchise-starting movies are free, but all their sequels are rentals. So Phantasm is free but all the sequels will cost you a few bucks a pop. Sometimes it's the other way around, like with The Howling.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Right now for some reason all of the Phantasm sequels are available on Prime except for Phantasm II. Which kinda kills it for me because Phantasm II is by far the best of the sequels and it's kinda tough to jump right from 1 to 3.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Basebf555 posted:

Right now for some reason all of the Phantasm sequels are available on Prime except for Phantasm II. Which kinda kills it for me because Phantasm II is by far the best of the sequels and it's kinda tough to jump right from 1 to 3.

Its because Phantasm 2 had a different producer/distributor than the other films. It was like that when they released them on Shudder as well. 2 is a weird animal for me I really didn't like the change in actors , but its still a great film.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah part 2 is fully a Universal property and they don't seem too interested in it. It took them forever to release a DVD and the Shout BR is oop. The rest are distributed by Starz/Lionsgate.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm watching Black Devil Doll From Hell and uhhh this movie has more puppet sex than Team America. This is...not what I expected.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’ll have to check out It Cuts Deep. So far I’ve watched The Returned, pretty scenery but too slow for me, and The Doorman, absolutely terrible.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1314629265292435460?s=20

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://twitter.com/BrettRedacted/status/1314248848471207938

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I'd be Pooh Number 2 regardless of which service I was watching it on. TCM is a classic movie and I feel classy watching it :colbert:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I watched the 2006 Hills Have Eyes for the first time in like 10 years. its still cathartic as hell to see the poindexter protagonist give a vicious beat down to the final mutant

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

yeah that ending is batshit insane and its awesome

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was unsatisfied with the ending because it's a movie about two families fighting and the one that wins doesn't do it by overcoming their differences and working together as a family.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

30 Days of Night kinda rocks. Haven’t seen it since theaters.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
We watched Ready or Not. I loved it, she was not happy about the gore.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Can someone point me to a good resource that lists worthwhile horror movies organized by streaming service?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

martinlutherbling posted:

Can someone point me to a good resource that lists worthwhile horror movies organized by streaming service?

https://www.justwatch.com/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hung out with an old friend yesterday.

Gotta do one more day of shooting and it’s done. Halloween day everyone.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

CelticPredator posted:

Hung out with an old friend yesterday.

Gotta do one more day of shooting and it’s done. Halloween day everyone.

Very excited to see the results.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Mothra summoning song is kind of a bop.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You want some Godzilla related bops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbmeG12VrNo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44pFm0fn2rQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONmm-ph4QUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdnP9iCLdx4

This is definitely a bop

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Watched the Wolf of Snow Hollow last night

https://twitter.com/jimmycthatsme/status/1314415290072010752
https://twitter.com/mangiotto/status/1314687452364251136

The first werewolf film in a while that for me has felt fun. If released any other week than the one Mike Flanagan releases another new season of a ghost story, I'd call it my favorite thing released this weekend. Definitely recommend

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Wolf of Snow Hollow was great, turns out the real monster is toxic masculinity.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
drat that sounds good. If it's about what the post above me says it's about, that would make a good double feature with Ginger Snaps.

But also Bly Manor is very good so far. Very BBC Christmas Ghost Story, very MR James.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is The Wolf of Snow Hollow available to stream in the UK anywhere?