Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

These new tracks just make me think of how Adore did all of this much better and remains timeless while this will sound dated in a few years.

Noise Machine posted:

The last time I heard a Billy Corgan song that made me go "He's still got it" was Wildflower.

For me it was As Rome Burns. Would not be out of place alongside the heavier songs from Melon Collie or Machina I/II. Can't believe they never recorded a studio version of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
2 new tracks, Anno Satana and Birch Grove. Rather bland and unmemorable-- synthy, atmospheric instrumentals are a drop in the sea for these tracks that I can't really even tell them apart. In Ashes still seems incomprehensibly strange for the sake of being strange.

Cyr continues to be the highlight so far for actually having a solid, catchy hook to it.

I hate to say it, but after listening to the new tracks so far again, but... SAOSB was better-- despite how unpolished and rushed the album felt, the songs were far more memorable and heterogeneous.

Obviously this is a double album and we haven't heard half of it yet, but if it's a double album of songs that all sound like these, I'm suddenly not so optimistic for it.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 9, 2020

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

informing the thread I am extremely back on my Zwan bullshit

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
By that do you mean about how Zwan was really good? Because Zwan was really good.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

By that do you mean about how Zwan was really good? Because Zwan was really good.

Yeah, like, going back and listening to all the live shows and bootlegs I can find and just wishing we got way more music. Obviously if we haven't gotten the Machina boxset, I don't have a prayer for the Zwan re-issue...

It's a real goddamn shame Billy clearly hated being on stage with them towards the end, because the live arrangements of Mary Star Of The Sea from June 2003 are immaculate.

That fact I like Zwan actually got me an audition in a band as a bass player. I'm still in that band 15 years (...and half my life) later.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
One of my great musical ambitions is to finally listen to all this Zwan material that people in this thread love and hope it clicks with me. I have the acoustic show from France and a bootleg called "Going to Riverview" which appears to have almost everything. Assuming I ever find myself not sitting in a house full of screaming children and can listen to music, will those be a good starting point?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

One of my great musical ambitions is to finally listen to all this Zwan material that people in this thread love and hope it clicks with me. I have the acoustic show from France and a bootleg called "Going to Riverview" which appears to have almost everything. Assuming I ever find myself not sitting in a house full of screaming children and can listen to music, will those be a good starting point?

Taking a look at that bootleg, that's pretty comprehensive! Unfortunately looks like all the links I can find are dead.

I think it might be worth it to seek out some full gig bootlegs to get a real feel for how those songs sounded live against the MSOTS mixes. The more I listen to those...did Billy just mix Pajo out? I can pick out Matt's parts easily, but Pajo's only pop up for texture occasionally when they're integral to the tune (See the intro for MSOTS when he's playing that odd-meter guitar part)

Start with the Glass House bootlegs from 2001, those are the first gigs but there's a lot of great material. I'm not actually a huge fan of the "Djali Zwan" acoustic gigs, but I think that might be because there's a ton of chatter in the boots out there.

The gig from "The Blue Note" in 2002 I think is the first 5 person lineup gig and it was a warmup, that's a really good one too. Some of the songs from MSOTS there and it's interesting to hear them more or less done, but there's a couple that are played like, 3 or 4 times and never played again, ever (like To Wonder, To Suffer)

There was a bootleg called "Live From The Hideout" that was on the official Zwan site for a little bit which was Billy, Matt and David basically doing open mic nights there, that's worth tracking down again for some never released Billy stuff, I especially liked "Consumed", "Diamonds" (which if you pay close attention to, you'll notice the he took the guitar part from the bridge in To Wonder, To Suffer and used it in that song's bridge...) and it's worth it just to hear the version of "A New Poetry" with just a pump organ, but I see most of those tracks are on that bootleg.

There's a lot of video out there from the European summer festivals in 2003 right before they broke up. Those are kinda the same mostly set wise, but it's really funny to see this dichotomy of Billy clearly not having a good time (one of the ones I saw had some bickering between Billy and Matt being picked up in the mics over...something, I think an iffy backing vocal) but having this incredibly tight band performing two 10+ minute epics in the middle of a 50 minute festival slot.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Chrysanthemum should've been recorded. Still a good song.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Noise Machine posted:

I think it might be worth it to seek out some full gig bootlegs to get a real feel for how those songs sounded live against the MSOTS mixes. The more I listen to those...did Billy just mix Pajo out? I can pick out Matt's parts easily, but Pajo's only pop up for texture occasionally when they're integral to the tune (See the intro for MSOTS when he's playing that odd-meter guitar part)

Nah, I can really pick out Pajo's noodling, like the intro to Ride A Black Swan. I always think his stuff sounds like something someone did on a sequencer.

A Big... Dog posted:

Chrysanthemum should've been recorded. Still a good song.

Helllllllllllllllllllllll yeah

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Nah, I can really pick out Pajo's noodling, like the intro to Ride A Black Swan. I always think his stuff sounds like something someone did on a sequencer.

Helllllllllllllllllllllll yeah

Just realized I don't have a lossless copy of the album, let me change that and relisten on some good headphones

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Everyone always says how Zwan's live shows were phenomenal, but what if you didn't give one single poo poo about the album? I didn't care for any of those songs at all, that I can remember. Maybe I have to relisten, but I can't imagine how acoustic versions of those would wow me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like most of the songs on the first half of MSotS, but I really think it comes into its own in the back half. Lyric and Honestly are good but I'd rather listen to Jesus I/MSotS, Ride A Black Swan, Baby Let's Rock, Yeah, or Of A Broken Heart over them. El Sol's pretty dece too actually.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jay-Z's The Black Album mashed up with various SP songs.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

announcement video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcQj4TsaDO0

highlights:

there is going to be yet another new album soon (after cyr) that's a continuation of the story behind the mellon collie and machina concepts
machina remaster is currently being mixed
there is going to be a mellon collie themed tour

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

polyester concept posted:

announcement video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcQj4TsaDO0

highlights:

there is going to be yet another new album soon (after cyr) that's a continuation of the story behind the mellon collie and machina concepts
machina remaster is currently being mixed

There was a concept behind MCIS?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
something something zero something something glass something something saving rock or some weird lame plot

I'm sure the story is rich and epic in Billy's eyes but to me it just comes across as corny as hell to me

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

How is everyone not freaking out that the new repackage Machine album (again, not the box set, just the ALBUM) is 55 SONGS??!?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

polyester concept posted:

Not gonna lie, the idea of hearing “Thru the Eyes of Ruby” again live and hell maybe even the mythical “Jellybelly” sounds pretty loving awesome. Sign me the gently caress up for some “Bodies” too. For all arguable bloat, I still love that silly album.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I would already play good money to see an MCIS tour, but I do want to hear Here Is No Why live.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Framboise posted:

I would already play good money to see an MCIS tour, but I do want to hear Here Is No Why live.

That song kills. Why the hate?

Would you take a "Tales of a Scorched Earth"?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hatelull posted:

That song kills. Why the hate?

Would you take a "Tales of a Scorched Earth"?

Who's hating? Reread the post you quoted.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yikes. More coffee for me. No idea why my brain dropped a big NOT into that sentence. I sincerely apologize for my gaffe.

Honestly, I'm not sure if there's anything off of MCIS I would not want to hear live ... maybe "Cupid de Locke" but he could probably work a stripped down acoustic of that and I'd be happy.

I wonder if MCIS Tour translates to doing the whole album every night, or if they just rotate the setlist heavy from that album and b-sides from the time. Getting a "Set the Ray to Jerry", or "Ugly", any of the covers, or "God" would be pretty groovy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Noise Machine posted:

How is everyone not freaking out that the new repackage Machine album (again, not the box set, just the ALBUM) is 55 SONGS??!?

My guess is the reissue is a box set and that's what he meant, but I also think it's not going to be arranged or packaged like the previous remasters. I think this is going to be a ground-up remix and remaster but also a representation and resequencing. It's probably going to end up as a triple album.

Also what are the odds on either SAOSB3 or the "sequel to both MCIS and Machina" not ever being released. I'm putting at least one of those ideas into the "Day for Night" and the "rest of Teargarden" bin.

hatelull posted:

I wonder if MCIS Tour translates to doing the whole album every night, or if they just rotate the setlist heavy from that album and b-sides from the time. Getting a "Set the Ray to Jerry", or "Ugly", any of the covers, or "God" would be pretty groovy.

I think he said in the video that he doesn't want to just go out and play an album live because an album isn't arranged to be a live show, but he wants to go out and do a tour focused on that era of the band. If I had to guess it'd be mostly MCIS and a few TAFH songs, with a few of the big earlier songs as well.

edit:
Here's a fairly typical setlist from mid 1996:

Where Boys Fear to Tread
Zero
gently caress You
To Forgive
Tonight, Tonight
Today
Thru the Eyes of Ruby
By Starlight
Disarm
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Cherub Rock
Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
> Beautiful (one verse only) (tease)
> Rocket (tease)

Encore 1:
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida [Iron Butterfly] (tease)
X.Y.U.

Encore 2:
Mayonaise

Encore 3:
Bodies
Silverfuck
> Space Jam (tease)

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 23, 2020

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

crazy set list ...

Oh wow. I don't think I saw any of those shows. The only MCIS era stuff I was able to see were the post-Melvoin OD/Buh-Bye Jimmy arena shows with Garbage. Some one offs after that (a HORDE fest date?) but the set lists were typical fare. Those were way more predictable in terms of set list, although at a Dallas show we got a pretty scorching "Airplane Flys High ..." that was pretty drat spectacular.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

hatelull posted:

Yikes. More coffee for me. No idea why my brain dropped a big NOT into that sentence. I sincerely apologize for my gaffe.

Honestly, I'm not sure if there's anything off of MCIS I would not want to hear live ... maybe "Cupid de Locke" but he could probably work a stripped down acoustic of that and I'd be happy.

Yeah I was about to say! Here Is No Why is easily a top 10 song for me-- it was probably the first non-single I heard that really made me love the Pumpkins when I was getting into them a few years back. Easily one of my favorites on MCIS.

(And yes, I would absolutely take Scorched Earth. Let's hear Modern Billy scream that poo poo out.)

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

God drat, Here Is No Why is so good.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Noise Machine posted:

I'm freaking out and excited as hell. I have a feeling there might just be a disc of alternate versions that aren't much to get excited about but just getting to hear properly mixed Machina II will be amazing. Anything extra is Christmas as far as I'm concerned, and if there's songs that are from those sessions but unreleased and of similar quality it's going to be incredible.

Final Machina album (and however many discs it is) will probably become my favorite Pumpkins record when all is said and done, unless they really screw with the mixing. I love the wall of sound the original album has but I know a lot of people hated it, so I'm worried they might tamper with it and songs possibly get stripped back.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The thing I'm most looking forward to with nuMachina is being able to hear the drums, because something terrible happened in the final mix/master that completely blew everything out and the drums disappeared.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

A Big... Dog posted:

God drat, Here Is No Why is so good.

The guitar solo after "sitting still was never enough" is the absolute number one best solo of all time imho

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

The thing I'm most looking forward to with nuMachina is being able to hear the drums, because something terrible happened in the final mix/master that completely blew everything out and the drums disappeared.

I don't recall ever hearing an issue with the drums. Any particular track?

Borrowed Ladder posted:

The guitar solo after "sitting still was never enough" is the absolute number one best solo of all time imho

I absolutely love the chord work right before and during "and in your sad machines" :allears:

Did Billy ever have a drug problem? I've always assumed that gently caress You (An Ode to No One) was about a relationship with an ex, but listening to it today, it dawned on me that maybe "scratched my face with anvil hands, coil my tongue around a bumblebee mouth", "I don't need your love to disconnect" and the literal title stating it's to no one might be him screaming at a past addiction.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 25, 2020

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
As far as I know, no. But his family apparently had a lot of drug problems when he was growing up.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I could swear I read somewhere that he did acid? Something about the "open your eyes to these mustard lies" being something he heard when tripping so he put it in Rhinoceros or something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Framboise posted:

I could swear I read somewhere that he did acid? Something about the "open your eyes to these mustard lies" being something he heard when tripping so he put it in Rhinoceros or something.

Mustard lies? Wow, I always thought it was "to these must I lie".

:stare:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Billy had that blog about 15 years ago and made some allusions to dabbling in stuff. The band definitely took acid and other psychedelics in the early days, Billy made reference to taking downers or mushrooms when making Adore to unwind and I believe he also said he was taking a lot of ecstacy to cope with a tour, but I can't remember if it was the MCIS tour or the Adore tour.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also what are the odds on either SAOSB3 or the "sequel to both MCIS and Machina" not ever being released. I'm putting at least one of those ideas into the "Day for Night" and the "rest of Teargarden" bin.

50/50 or worse. This is such a weird thing that certain musicians do, announcing another album either right before or right after their latest album is released. It always makes me feel like they're anticipating some backlash.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Billy did a ton of acid in the early days, especially Gish. Some time after Gish he apparently had a thing where his arm twitched uncontrollably for a long time and he basically swore off drugs after that.

Then of course during the Adore era he did tons of E which explains the whole sound of that album.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Noise Machine posted:

Billy had that blog about 15 years ago and made some allusions to dabbling in stuff. The band definitely took acid and other psychedelics in the early days, Billy made reference to taking downers or mushrooms when making Adore to unwind and I believe he also said he was taking a lot of ecstacy to cope with a tour, but I can't remember if it was the MCIS tour or the Adore tour.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Billy did a ton of acid in the early days, especially Gish. Some time after Gish he apparently had a thing where his arm twitched uncontrollably for a long time and he basically swore off drugs after that.

Then of course during the Adore era he did tons of E which explains the whole sound of that album.

This explains him being on Alex Jones and talking about someone turning into a lizard before his very eyes with complete conviction. While laughable at the time, if the above quotes are true it makes me think that it probably did actually happen and was just one of the long-term effects of using the drugs that he did when he was young. He was probably experiencing one of those flashbacks (?) that people who've long stopped taking psychedelics/hallucinogens occasionally get throughout life, only nobody told him and he thinks the world is a vampire run by lizard people.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Speaking of this and guitar solos, the drumming and guitar during the intro to 'Glass and the Ghost Children' is :discourse:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

SUNKOS posted:

This explains him being on Alex Jones and talking about someone turning into a lizard before his very eyes with complete conviction. While laughable at the time, if the above quotes are true it makes me think that it probably did actually happen and was just one of the long-term effects of using the drugs that he did when he was young. He was probably experiencing one of those flashbacks (?) that people who've long stopped taking psychedelics/hallucinogens occasionally get throughout life, only nobody told him and he thinks the world is a vampire run by lizard people.

That's possible but no I think he's just a crazy person. Acid flashbacks aren't usually profoundly long-term like that and also I don't think it would happen without realizing that they were getting hosed up.

SUNKOS posted:

Speaking of this and guitar solos, the drumming and guitar during the intro to 'Glass and the Ghost Children' is :discourse:

This is correct.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

GatGC is sooo good but where my Age of Innocence heads at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Framboise posted:

lmfao

"Well, it's a horrible video, I'll start there. The concept was, originally we were supposed to play in a very, very small red room. And when we got to the set that day, it was a very, very large red room. And we were like, what're we supposed to do? So the video is basically like, us being bored, um, most of the video. Literally, like us being bored on camera. At one point the record company wanted to release it as a single, and we're like "But the song's 5 minutes long", & they were trying to figure out how to edit it. That's kinda what I mean by the band's naivete, I mean- now you would say, that's a pretty good pop song, "she knows, she knows, she knows", good cat- good hook. We had no consciousness about time or length, we just would write the songs, & if they were 5 minutes long, or 7 minutes long, that's how long they were. That song is actually somewhat inspired by my first LSD trip. I was tripping my brains out for the first time, and- I was probably 22? 21? And uh, I had this prophetic, you know, this beautiful, inspired moment, I thought, "I must write this down." So I scribbled on a piece of paper this great insight, & I woke up the next day & I was like, "What was that thing that I scribbled down?" & it said, "Open your eyes to these mustard lies." So I actually put the line in the song."