Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

it's back

https://twitter.com/ScrubQuotesX/status/1314287526748643328?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yeah I was overstating or I guess, shouldn't have used the word disaster. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Its just really a shame because of all years, it feels like despite all our bitching Modern Warfare was a pretty solid product. And with that in mind its too bad that the player base is going to be splintered because Activision needs their yearly injection of Call of Duty money. This would have been a perfect year for them to punt Black Ops down the road one year so it'd be a fully 'next-gen' game and then you could keep building on Warzone and what not. Now I totally understand why this would never ever happen. Its the same idea that the sports franchise games should do an every other year approach and treat the off year as just a roster update dlc for like a quarter of the price. It just won't happen due to the economics.

To clarify, I just mean I wonder what trickle down from Cold War we'll see into Warzone. And to see what type of future support we're going to see in Modern Warfare's base multiplayer.

And as far as SBMM goes, I think its fine. There is not a perfect system. I'm more than happy with how its gone nearly a year in. I lose some. I win some. Laughs are had.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

i need to stop going to the gym because my strong, manly muscle fingers can simply not stop toggling hybrid sights and loving up my shots

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Once it's fixed, I gotta say, I really, really like the AS VAL as an AR in general. It's just got a nice feel to it, it's lightning quick ADS and a good time to down someone.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

drunken officeparty posted:

i need to stop going to the gym because my strong, manly muscle fingers can simply not stop toggling hybrid sights and loving up my shots

Easy solution, don't use hybrid sights.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Fart Car '97 posted:

They both seem excellent now that they're fixed. The ASVAL slams up close but has ammo and range issues. The SPR is super flexible but not really better than the HDR.

ADS times and cycle times do seem to make the K98 kind of pointless?

Edit: Sorry for the double-post. I'm brain-afk.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The shotgun is the cold war beta is pretty good

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Shockeh posted:

Once it's fixed, I gotta say, I really, really like the AS VAL as an AR in general. It's just got a nice feel to it, it's lightning quick ADS and a good time to down someone.

Yeah it actually has a really good niche as a SMG/AR hybrid (if it's fixed).

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
Most entertaining duo wipe that I've had in a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjg1iHM4yW0

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Waroduce posted:

The shotgun is the cold war beta is pretty good

I went something like 18/7 using one of the default classes that has that shotgun on Cartel. That gun was terrible during the alpha.

I also see they added a type of sniper glint and more ADS. You can still win gun battles by quick scooping, but it's no longer "free".

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

ADS times and cycle times do seem to make the K98 kind of pointless?

Edit: Sorry for the double-post. I'm brain-afk.

Frankly I'm fine with the KAR, a WW2 rifle, being relegated to a gimmick role in the same way the MK2 carbine is. It's OK if there are gimmick guns.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Oh word? We're calling this VAL stock the strelok? OK OK OK

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
So apparently you can get infinite tac equipment with a dumb glitch and people are exploiting wins. Anyone run in to this?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

mexi posted:

So apparently you can get infinite tac equipment with a dumb glitch and people are exploiting wins. Anyone run in to this?

Yeah, and in the case of stims, that means surviving in the gas indefinitely.

throw a frag, pick it up and hold until it explodes, get rezzed via self-revive or teammate, bam you've got infinite tacs

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Danknificent posted:

Oh word? We're calling this VAL stock the strelok? OK OK OK

It's Russian for "hunter."

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I hope they keep updating mw2019 for next gen consoles.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

f#a# posted:

Yeah, and in the case of stims, that means surviving in the gas indefinitely.

throw a frag, pick it up and hold until it explodes, get rezzed via self-revive or teammate, bam you've got infinite tacs

So what happens when theres 5 nerds running around forever unable to find each other and not dying to gas

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Then we play hungry hungry hippos

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

drunken officeparty posted:

So what happens when theres 5 nerds running around forever unable to find each other and not dying to gas

The game goes indefinitely. Someone on Reddit posted a video and said that they were spectating a game that went on for half an hour after the final ring closed.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
It’s a revolving door of new broken OP poo poo every patch now

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Apparently it has already been patched but lol there's a vid of a guy sitting upstairs and like 2 dozen stun grenades fly in at him.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

i have 9 ars to damascus, hopefully one day my descendants will be able to finish what i started because this is taking 69 times as long as every other category combined

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Finally got my first win in solo warzone. I had 9 kills. Finally I think I can put the game down. I accomplished everything I wanted too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
How is the gun graphics bug back. HOW. HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
It's probably a symptom of having a billion attachment combinations that the game has to know how to put together and render

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

No it happens on base guns.

Just terrible terrible coding. Love to stop playing for weeks every season for patches.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Whoever thought 50 point blank kills with a non-thermal hybrid scope was an appropriate number to put on a challenge like that should be locked up in an asylum as they are clearly a psychopath

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Can you put hybrids on shotguns?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Beta plays better but graphics are shittier than the alpha? I have no idea but I hope Raven did an awesome job with the campaign.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whoops, I did not anticipate enjoying the Cold War beta but here we are. I did not like Modern Warfare multiplayer at all, I got to level 50 and then gave up in frustration, but this feels like a much more balanced experience.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I enjoy both. They are different games. I think MW2019 brought back the joy of shooters for me.

Cold War feels like a throwback shooter. It's fun. I like Combined Arms: Assault.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

What’s the drama with SBMM? Is it just that people want to ruthlessly pubstomp and get sad when they get matched against other sweeties who have also been playing COD for the last 15 years?

I see some crying on reddit about it, and it’s not clear if it’s just the general concept of balanced teams, or some atrociously bad implementation that makes it not fun.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

causticBeet posted:

What’s the drama with SBMM? Is it just that people want to ruthlessly pubstomp and get sad when they get matched against other sweeties who have also been playing COD for the last 15 years?

I see some crying on reddit about it, and it’s not clear if it’s just the general concept of balanced teams, or some atrociously bad implementation that makes it not fun.

I gave up on multiplayer because it would wildly swing from matching me up against quickscopers who would stomp the poo poo out of me for multiple matches to pity rounds of people I was convinced were Quake 1 bots. I would do very well against the latter and swing right back to the former.

It never felt balanced, just lopsided in different ways.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 11, 2020

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

causticBeet posted:

its pissbabies having a baby piss about how pissy and baby they are.

SBMM's only actual negative is that it tends to suck for you if you aren't playing at the level of the rest of your party. a friend of mine that just got into gaming because of covid plays with us most of the time but he cant get more than a few kills each game. when he plays on his own he is getting kill streaks all over and topping the board every game.

so in that sense its kinda dumb because it makes him not want to play the game with us, and he bought it to play it with us.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

causticBeet posted:

In the case of my friends and I:

We'll have a decent round, and the next five rounds at least are us getting absolutely blown the gently caress out until Number Decides Mercy, and we get a decent one again. Not a blowout, but it feels even. But oops we did Good, enjoy another five rounds of accomplishing gently caress all.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Capn Beeb posted:

In the case of my friends and I:

We'll have a decent round, and the next five rounds at least are us getting absolutely blown the gently caress out until Number Decides Mercy, and we get a decent one again. Not a blowout, but it feels even. But oops we did Good, enjoy another five rounds of accomplishing gently caress all.

So bad implementation with too small sample size leading to wild swings? Why don’t they just do it like Mobas or other shooters where you have a general ELO or MMR or whatever that influences who you get matched with? Is it really that pronounced or is it just the snowball-y nature of cod making it feel that way?

Like in general I think SBMM is good for games, even if it means “oh no I can’t go 30-1 literally every game and need to face the realization that I am not actually a video game god” but that’s a bummer that activision is too dumb to implement a 15 year old feature in tyool2020.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

causticBeet posted:

Yes.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Fallom posted:

I gave up on multiplayer because it would wildly swing from matching me up against quickscopers who would stomp the poo poo out of me for multiple matches to pity rounds of people I was convinced were Quake 1 bots. I would do very well against the latter and swing right back to the former.

It never felt balanced, just lopsided in different ways.

This is my biggest problem with how it's implemented. Sometimes you just want to play a mindless game or try a different weapon but you get stuck with a bunch of Obsidian slidy mp5s. The worst thing you can do in MW is have a good round.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Have a mindless round and win*, which is the bullshit modifier people don't want to admit they want. You can have a mindless round regardless if you stop caring about winning, but people want to have their cake and eat it, too. A 'casual round' where you do well loving around still is a round where you're beating someone who is actually trying to win but they just can't. There's no magic bullet for this. Folks point to a casual play list as the answer in games like R6 and Apex. Guess what? Both of the casual modes in those games have hidden SBMM. The main difference is there's no displayed rank & no penalty for leaving. Casual in both of those can be just as sweaty as ranked.

I think MWs SBMM is heavy handed in it's implementation, but the game is absolutely better for it's existence. The alternative is people on the lower end of the skill bracket exist in a land where they just get poo poo on constantly because there's always 1-2 people in the game that are just way better then them, instead of most of the other team being roughly equally skilled.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I think MWs SBMM is heavy handed in it's implementation, but the game is absolutely better for it's existence. The alternative is people on the lower end of the skill bracket exist in a land where they just get poo poo on constantly because there's always 1-2 people in the game that are just way better then them, instead of most of the other team being roughly equally skilled.

This is the truth. One of the things that makes CoD great is that it has few artificial limiters to skill and a relatively short ttk; if you are fast enough to aim and click, you can kill as many people as you want; you aren't held back by low damage or low rof weapons. That's not compatible with skilled players and brand new ones playing in the same pool willy nilly.

In the olden days of circa 2002-2003 I was big into a certain best FPS ever half-life mod which was similar in that if you were good you could delete people effortlessly and if you weren't, you were a mook. A good player joined a server, bodied everyone, and they all left for another server. I was one of those guys. It got to a point where I unconsciously stopped thinking of it as playing on a server and thought of it as clearing out a server, because it was that inevitable. (And I was a child) While that was lots of fun for me and guys like me, it was very detrimental to building a healthy player population for the game because it was a huge turn off to new people at the beginning of a steep learning curve

I'm not good at CoD by any means with my 1.31 overall KD, but you can't match me against new players just like you can't match me against pros