Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't think there was an apparel event last week. It just started this week. Either way, keys are for that specific event only.

There was some limited-time apparel cache going, I know I kinda thought about Final Grind To Keener when the countdown was 1 day1 6 hours.

Last night was Spelunking for Knifeboy - ended up dying three times in the steam room, but finished out him and his side missions, and a nearby bounty to go back to the Federal Reserve for Vault Boy and Junior (I think it was). Followed by Wall Street, where the only problem was figuring out how to kill the APC. ("Oh, hey, I *do* have this rocket launcher...") Was late enough that I decided to eat and crash, but I did end up with another Anarchist's Cookbook pack, at least one other named item and weapon (other than the mission rewards) and two more pieces of Tip of the Spear. (Might have been another set piece as well, but I forget offhand.)

Tried the fire sticky on the way to the tunnelmall, wasn't that impressed. Went drone'n'EMP, which worked for shock traps. Swapped back to Magic Hate Ball and Angry Bird for Wall Street, which worked pretty well... maybe I should have gone for the miniguns at the end, but between gunfire, explosions and robo-JABO action, they went down without too much effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Even on story mode the miniguns are mostly a trap if you’re solo and don’t have a way to disable the bosses. You’re way too exposed against 3 elite shield enemies to just face tank. A lengthy foam or blind will let you shoot them with it safely enough though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

UnknownMercenary posted:

Same as the Div1 GE modifiers: the harder ones give more credits but they always slowed it down enough to never be worth it.

this is untrue, they were absolutely better credits/minute with a proper group

something where rando MM doesn't reward it but premade does is another discussion, but saying always/never here is incorrect.

And in Div 2, the no radar directive is the least significant change for missions we've all run 10000 times and have every spawn memorized so if they want to reward me with more stuff for nothing, go for it

the other 8 directives, well ....

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As long as you don’t need an armor kit within the first 3 minutes the one that only drops armor kits when spec ammo drops is purely an advantage.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I bothered staying for run with multiple directives on like pistolero and after I killed the first group or so of guys I never needed ammo again. I still find most directives annoying though.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
Keep in mind that Fragile Armor is currently broken; the debuff does not get cleared by using a armor pack and will not wear off until you turn off the directive.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Fabricated posted:

I bothered staying for run with multiple directives on like pistolero and after I killed the first group or so of guys I never needed ammo again.

I found Pistolero almost inconsequential with my AFK drone build because you don't have to make a kill shot with a pistol--just have it on hand--for enemies to drop ammo.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
Being stuck with running specific builds is a big chunk of what makes directives unfun.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Morter posted:

I found Pistolero almost inconsequential with my AFK drone build because you don't have to make a kill shot with a pistol--just have it on hand--for enemies to drop ammo.

Also works well with the gunner spec as you regen ammo

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Finished the last bit of the last sub-target at the pier, yay! Assault turret and Angry Bird did pretty good, barely had to kill anyone myself on the final "defend the fuel pump" wave. Also cleared a couple supply drops that way, between the turret murdering enemies as they came in, and the enemies focusing more on the turret, I had plenty of time unmolested to loot.

Let's all go to the lobby Liberty Island (repeat 3x), and get ourselves a drink balls slammed in a car door! (Swapped the turret for jammer pulse, which I really didn't need for most of the leadup.)

Ferry terminal: not too bad. Ferry: also not too bad. LI itself: took some effort, but doable. Razorback: figuring out the weak-spot targeting was a bit annoying, but I got through. Robodogs and Quadcopter: More work, made it without too much damage.

Keener: difficulty slope approached 90 degrees quick. Probably should have gone with healing ball and/or hive, instead of jammer/corrosion launcher. Pulse or no, got purely ate up by skills - survived to not get the final weakpoint the first time, kept getting skillmurdered a few more times, finally killed the missile.

And got chewed to poo poo. Multiple times.

Finally climbed back up to the ammo box where I entered and turtled, but surprise! My skills went to failure mode and *stayed* that way, even when I exited to shoot. Long grind, dump fire as best I could at the rear end in a top hat hiding behind the launcher, eat riot foam while he launched drones, yadda yadda. Finally bonked him enough with my near-100% stability French flounder AR and a named sniper rifle I'd picked up earlier, got the cutscene and an alert for a BT drone fairly nearby, guess I should have just hoofed it over there because after fast-travelling closer, it disappeared. :smith:

Went back to Haven, checked in on the vendors and pissed away a bunch of cash on high-rolled or good-telent stuff to grind up, checked the Season stuff, did the donation project, and hosed off back to Wall Street for that daily on Hard.

Yeah, that difficulty slope again. Not as bad as Keener, but... well, I discovered that I should have hosed around getting more specialty ammo before going in. Died a bunch before discovering my Quiet Roar MG worked on the weak points, cleared the APC and was harder but doable.

Until the final boss battle.

SLAM. SLAM. SLAM.

Finally got some rockets and used those to while down the shieldbros, and ended up going with a Frenzy Negev to finish chewing through them. Luckily, Angry Bird kept them busy enough that I could flank them.

Finished up, and all of sudden I have all these level and SHD level and gently caress only knows what else VFX orgasms. Lotta loot, but mostly "meh" or grindable for the library. Four levels of Shud, too.

Bullet King was nice, though. Was too late to go test it out - as it was, all my pizza was cold and I got almost three hours of sleep. :suicide:

Oh, and it probably didn't help that I took the special-ammo directive, to see what that was like. :v:

Just to verify, I can still go after the two "ended" targets for the Season manhunt, right? Just don't get the bonuses related?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Unlocking the previous final manhunt missions (and the new skill once you complete it) is on the free season track. I don’t know if it’s both season 1 and 2 missions in the current track because I haven’t really looked at it :v:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Both are on the track. Level 48 and level 53 rewards IIRC.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

did the legendary Roosevelt today with some random mm'd pubs, my first legendary mission

that was a big step up from heroic. the ending was like, wtf, basically one way to beat it

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Legendary missions are unfortunately very rote but I'm thankful they didn't add randomization on top of the crazy enemy buffs. Not a high point of game design.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 24, 2020

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

pmchem posted:

did the legendary Roosevelt today with some random mm'd pubs, my first legendary mission

that was a big step up from heroic. the ending was like, wtf, basically one way to beat it

What do you mean by 'one way'? I have an idea but I just wanna make sure i'm not misreading it.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
There's a few "cheesy" ways to beat the last part of Legendary Roosevelt. I think the main way is to rush the boat and set up turret camp. Before they "fixed" the encounter, we cheesed it by placing our turrets on the ramp before the last stage and tossing seekers below, eventually whittling down all enemies including the two boss drones. Our only death was a guy trying to be fancy and used air burst seeker on himself.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Legendary is basically just CC/Turret spam, or if you have 2-3 teammates with really good DPS loadouts who can use them, CC and focused damage output.

So someone just glues people to the ground and the DPS focus them down, or everyone throws down turrets/drones and maybe one dude throws an artificer hive and you listen to a podcast.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Morter posted:

What do you mean by 'one way'? I have an idea but I just wanna make sure i'm not misreading it.

for the opening we did turrets over the ramp like olds said, but for the boss part of it we went into the boat and set up turret camp. I can't imagine surviving outside the boat walls during the boss phase

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’ve done it a few times just hunkering behind the pipes at the start. You need a healer and be able to disrupt the marauders but it’s doable.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Has the player count gone down on the PS4? I've been having a hell of a time match making for missions.

On PC I tried matchmaking for Liberty Island for an hour during like peak evening play time and couldn't get into a group with more than just one other person

I only bother with matchmaking when I'm more or less forced to because it's so bad

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Orange Carlisle posted:

On PC I tried matchmaking for Liberty Island for an hour during like peak evening play time and couldn't get into a group with more than just one other person

I only bother with matchmaking when I'm more or less forced to because it's so bad

Well your first problem was trying to matchmake for Liberty Island.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orange Carlisle posted:

People don’t really just play Liberty Island outside of projects or manhunts or whatever. It’s a long mission with a really annoying ending and even if the target loot is good it doesn’t give much.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I agree with both of you - unfortunately I fell into the 'only playing Liberty Island because the manhunt is forcing me to' category so I hope more people were doing the same thing. It's an awful mission with an awful end boss sequence.

Overall matchmaking could be way better though.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Kibayasu posted:

People don’t really just play Liberty Island outside of projects or manhunts or whatever. It’s a long mission with a really annoying ending and even if the target loot is good it doesn’t give much.

On the bright side you get forced to listen to 10 minutes of Keener smugging at you

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Am I missing something?

I can change my global settings to Hard or Challenging and there's still and indicator I'm getting +0% XP. Also, the free xp directive of starting with no armor kits is gone? Does it only apply to missions and activities?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

hatelull posted:

Am I missing something?

I can change my global settings to Hard or Challenging and there's still and indicator I'm getting +0% XP. Also, the free xp directive of starting with no armor kits is gone? Does it only apply to missions and activities?

They changed how difficulty and directives work. You don’t get an exp bonus for difficulty, only directives. They also tweaked the directives.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

hatelull posted:

Am I missing something?

Only directives give bonus experience. They also put in some new directives for missions which replaced the armor kit one and the skill cooldown one. I also mourned the loss of the armor kit one since that literally was no downside unless you needed one in the first 5 minutes.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I've never done a raid (mainly because it's hard to block off 2+ hours consecutively)

should I do a raid if I have the time? is any loot there extremely overpowered / necessary for endgame summit level 100 builds?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

jabro posted:

You don’t get an exp bonus for difficulty, only directives.

This is false. You still get different amounts of XP for doing activities of different levels. This is reflected in the map UI whenever you look at missions, bounties etc of varying difficulties.

hatelull posted:

Am I missing something?

The global setting UI only shows the bonus XP that comes tied to directives. So if you are not activating any directives, the screen always shows 0 bonus XP even though jumping up in difficulty does indeed give more XP overall.

pmchem posted:

I've never done a raid (mainly because it's hard to block off 2+ hours consecutively)

should I do a raid if I have the time? is any loot there extremely overpowered / necessary for endgame summit level 100 builds?

Not really. None of the raid exotics are any good. I guess the Eagle Bearer is a good gun for the DZ, and there are some raid specific Future Initiative pieces that are good for healers. Otherwise you are not missing anything.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
There are 3 exclusive exotics in the raids and the chestpiece/backpack for the foundry bulwark and future initiative gearsets. None of these are necessary components for a top tier meta build, but they're all pretty good.

I definitely recommend trying to find a good raid group if you can work it in sometime because the raids are very good and some of the coolest content in the game.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I got a Lady Death last night running heroics. What’s does that play well with? The only thing I ever used SMG’s pre-30 when it was a matter of just using whatever was doing the best damage at the time on story campaign. Dudes in the group just said to load up Hunter’s gear and go to town. Pretty sure it can’t be that simple.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you don’t keep moving with Lady Death it just turns into a below average SMG. The stacks do build up outside of combat so it makes for a very good first strike but I find it hard to reliably build up enough stacks to matter after they’re gone any regular SMG outperforms it.

Hunter’s Fury is easily the best SMG build in the game right now so it’s also the way to see if you like Lady Death compared against other SMGs. As far as exotics go I think the chatterbox or the new backfire SMG work way better than Lady Death.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

hatelull posted:

I got a Lady Death last night running heroics. What’s does that play well with? The only thing I ever used SMG’s pre-30 when it was a matter of just using whatever was doing the best damage at the time on story campaign. Dudes in the group just said to load up Hunter’s gear and go to town. Pretty sure it can’t be that simple.
Looking at it, Hunter's would be a good bet, Hunter's wants you to be up close and personal to get the benefits from the debuffs, but you're putting yourself in harms way if you aren't chaining kills so it's more a solo get up. The movement speed may be handy, I have to admit I haven't tried it with Lady Death and the biggest issue I have when running say Chatterbox with Hunter's Fury is closing the distance so it's seems like a really good synergy ( I'mma gonna give it a try now ). I run mine with two pieces of Belstone Armoury for the extra bit of armour and additional 10% heal on kill, but I struggle to deal with Rogue Agents and assholes sniping from cover, you could try an all red build ( say Coyote mask and a piece of Socolov - I've got a Firm Handshake, maybe the extra 15% Status effect might improve the confuse debuff ) but you're really amping up your squishiness.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 11, 2020

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

ACOG and loud vent brake for 30% range, so... :v: bought it from a vendor, IIRC.

Currently running 4-piece Hunter's Furby, chest + pack for the bonuses, and The Grudge for SMG murdertimes.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Trip report, Lady Death is way more reliable to keep the damage amp going than the ROF bonus and free reloads from Chatterbox, definitely invest in some Blue stats though. Just done a handful CP4s solo and Lady Death was way more killy ( 400k+ crits ), you just have to stay mobile. Chatterbox absolutley rips if you can get that ROF buff going, but you definitely notice when it's not.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 11, 2020

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

hatelull posted:

I find Lady Death's damage starts to fall off in protracted gunfights. Keeping the damage stack up starts to get tough.

Ygolonac posted:

ACOG and loud vent brake for 30% range, so... :v: bought it from a vendor, IIRC.

Currently running 4-piece Hunter's Furby, chest + pack for the bonuses, and The Grudge for SMG murdertimes.

The downside to the Glory Daze isn't bad enough to try and compensate, imo. I'd roll the third attribute off and stick a Crit Chance or Crit Damage on the scope.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
😏

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
i mean her name is Wraith, you'd better expect to be haunted by a ghost next season

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Psion posted:

i mean her name is Wraith, you'd better expect to be haunted by a ghost next season

That reminds me: gently caress the hunters that are showing up during these manhunt bounties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I never really tried shotguns or SMG's but got the hunter stuff and it's fun. I don't have chatterbox but have a nice cold relations so took that and the mop. It's fun, I didn't die as much as I thought, just solo doing open world and Heroic CPs. The disorient is really nice.