Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

That's crazy to me. The most fun part of the game is getting in a side conversation with your dead friends and laughing as the alive people flail and die.

being a ghost in a friends game rules. just smash out the task and then watch the mayhem. in a pub game, the ghosts just immediately leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Outrail posted:

They need to incentivize people to stay in games when they don't get imposter. Something like 'if you exit a game within 3 minutes of starting more than twice in an hour you don't get imp for a few hours.

I don't have direct experience since I play with a fixed group, but I heard about a person who writes down the names of anyone who leaves within a few minutes of starting, and if they stay in for later games will vote them off on the basis that they didn't quit like they usually do, so must be impostors.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Reveilled posted:

I don't have direct experience since I play with a fixed group, but I heard about a person who writes down the names of anyone who leaves within a few minutes of starting, and if they stay in for later games will vote them off on the basis that they didn't quit like they usually do, so must be impostors.

lol

I just played a public game where there was a body found, and one player said it was blue. Didn't say where the body was or anything like that. Everyone just said ok and voted him out. when I protested and said maybe we should talk about it, they accused me of defending blue and i got voted out immediately after when a meeting was called. pub sucks gang.

I did one game with some peeps from the About Us discord, which was a better game, but I'm an old man and just find voice chat with strangers annoying.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
See that's one of the benefits of playing on a Discord group, makes enforcing the few rules Among Us has carry a bit more weight

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Famethrowa posted:

That's crazy to me. The most fun part of the game is getting in a side conversation with your dead friends and laughing as the alive people flail and die.

congrats on not being infected with pubbiebrain

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Mocking the living fools never gets ols

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Tears In A Vial posted:

lol

I just played a public game where there was a body found, and one player said it was blue. Didn't say where the body was or anything like that. Everyone just said ok and voted him out. when I protested and said maybe we should talk about it, they accused me of defending blue and i got voted out immediately after when a meeting was called. pub sucks gang.

I did one game with some peeps from the About Us discord, which was a better game, but I'm an old man and just find voice chat with strangers annoying.

Yeah, I've had the similar issues. If you start talking about things and actually playing the game right they'll immediately turn on you. Feels like a 'Hey, he's thinking! Enemy of the people!' kind of deal.

I tried a 'hey guys I'm not the imp and I can prove it, follow me to medical and I'll do a scan' play and got an immediate 'That's sus, I vote him out' and they rest bandwagoned on. They were the imp obviously.

Reveilled posted:

This is great.

I wish ghosts would stick around in pub games, but most people quit after a minute or two so there's no point in finishing your tasks on your own. I'm starting to quit immediately so my tasks get done and I can move on. It's lonely being dead :(

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Outrail posted:

Yeah, I've had the similar issues. If you start talking about things and actually playing the game right they'll immediately turn on you. Feels like a 'Hey, he's thinking! Enemy of the people!' kind of deal.

I tried a 'hey guys I'm not the imp and I can prove it, follow me to medical and I'll do a scan' play and got an immediate 'That's sus, I vote him out' and they rest bandwagoned on. They were the imp obviously.

This is great.

I wish ghosts would stick around in pub games, but most people quit after a minute or two so there's no point in finishing your tasks on your own. I'm starting to quit immediately so my tasks get done and I can move on. It's lonely being dead :(

Join a Discord Group, this game honestly doesn't really work with pubs

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Play with a gang of regulars dear lord. Playing with pubs is the goddamned worst.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

I'm having fun so far. Second game, witnessed a murder from outside the med bay. Got spotted and thrown off the ship. Sat in as a ghost and made fun of the rest of the idiots as they ejected the wrong people off the ship.

I never got to play SS13 since I didn't have the pre-requisite computer science skills to get it to run and I'm glad someone took the idea and moved it into something that is easier to install and play.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

bought the farm posted:

I'm having fun so far. Second game, witnessed a murder from outside the med bay. Got spotted and thrown off the ship. Sat in as a ghost and made fun of the rest of the idiots as they ejected the wrong people off the ship.

I never got to play SS13 since I didn't have the pre-requisite computer science skills to get it to run and I'm glad someone took the idea and moved it into something that is easier to install and play.

Yeah I tried to play SS13 every now and then but it just had the worst controls in the universe

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah this game looks like an accessible version of SS13 crossed with Mafia. It seems kind of cool.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1313313150062780416

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Do not play this with pubs. It will undermine any faith you may have left in humanity.

An Intrepid psychology student could write a lot of words on how people act in this game.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Midgetskydiver posted:

Do not play this with pubs. It will undermine any faith you may have left in humanity.

An Intrepid psychology student could write a lot of words on how people act in this game.

the best traitor strategy possible is being a "calm hitler" and appearing super reasonable. people will believe you so quickly over those who flip out with accusations

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Famethrowa posted:

the best traitor strategy possible is being a "calm hitler" and appearing super reasonable. people will believe you so quickly over those who flip out with accusations

I've had more than a few games where people just randomly point fi hers and shriek 'it's yellow!!!' and never explain further and people go along with it

But yeah a lot of the time you can drop little things like 'red was hanging around electrical' 'blue was in caf' and just seeing the color puts something in people's heads.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

When playing random public games, Cyan is a good colour as people are pretty bad at describing it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Red Oktober posted:

When playing random public games, Cyan is a good colour as people are pretty bad at describing it.

And lime.

'It was green!'
'No I was in Navigation!'
'Not you, GREEN!'
'Green was in nav!'
'No you fuckwit I mean dark gre...'
*Timer ticks to zero, noone is ejected. Green snaps your neck in medical while lime watches and reports. Red is voted out.'

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sometimes a good strategy is to just stay quiet unless someone specifically addresses you, odds are good everyone else will be too busy yelling at each other to notice your silence

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
New pro strat:

Daring people to boot you.

I mean, not a winning strategy, but certainly a strat.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Cannon_Fodder posted:

New pro strat:

Someone tried that on a game I played a couple days ago. It did not work well for them.

Another pubbie annoyance: getting to play impostor on a game filled with a group which tells each other whodunnit once you so much as lift a finger on them. Enjoy being votebombed out with no publically given reason :gibs:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I played this for the first time a few evenings ago but I am not very good.

My very first round I was impostor and did not have a clue what I should be doing and people got confused when no sabotage was happening.

I also clam up when trying to be all impostory and much prefer being a crewmate and doing tasks. I think it is fun but incredibly stressful.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

VideoGames posted:

I played this for the first time a few evenings ago but I am not very good.

My very first round I was impostor and did not have a clue what I should be doing and people got confused when no sabotage was happening.

I also clam up when trying to be all impostory and much prefer being a crewmate and doing tasks. I think it is fun but incredibly stressful.

My first round was impostor. I spent the whole time :tinfoil: while my partner cleaned house.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I'm always bad at these types of games. Mostly because I know I'm innocent, therefore everyone else may as well be guilty so I usually end up convincing people to vote out innocents. Or get voted myself.

But I still have fun.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I find it so much more enjoyable when I know my idiot friends might all band wagon in one direction or another and all it takes is a little nudge.

Sometimes that little nudge is a bit more for my own amusement than for any concrete evidence I may have.

:hb:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The best rounds in this game are when you're imposter and more crewmates get voted off than you kill. It's like space Survivor.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

New pro strat:

another one along these lines: alt-f4 randomly

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I won my first imposter game tonight with friends because I was super silent when we turned on VC for the meeting but someone thought I was accidentally muted instead of being suspicious and I immediately rolled with it.

This game loving owns.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

This game is great fun. Here's my wishlist for improvements though:

1) More maps. I know they've said they're working on a new one, so hurray.

2) Randomize maps option. Seems like a no-brainer, bonus points for the option to disallow maps of your choice from rotation.

3) Crewmate roles. Some minor special powers on the crewmate side could help spice things up a bit. Especially if there's a option to make roles enabled, disabled, or random, so you wouldn't know from game to game if there even are any roles present. Ideally, crewmate roles shouldn't have obvious tells that prove who they are. A few possibilities off the top of my head: Forensics officer - if they report a body, only they see a few highlighted names on the vote screen; one of those is the imposter that killed that body. Engineer - can completely fix a 2 part emergency task by fixing just one part. Security - vision radius unaffected by the lights sabotage.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Famethrowa posted:

In my experience pubs always vote you out for using facts and logic and complete sentences

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

A friend suggested there for be ways to accidentally be killed. Think that would be a great suggestion

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Slammed the meeting button as soon as possible and accused Red because he told me to ahhhh at the start of the game. They voted him out despite telling me I was stupid. And they didn't vote me out afterwards. Red hung around and was so loving pissed in the lobby. Lol.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Any good among us group discords that are fairly active at most times of day? I have terrible sleep patterns thanks to work and am up in the middle of the night a lot.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
the official one literally always has lobbies up

https://discord.gg/Wmm6Pt

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Gone Fashing posted:

Oh that's a different one than the first one I tried to join. It had 600k members and was completely full.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Goodpancakes posted:

A friend suggested there for be ways to accidentally be killed. Think that would be a great suggestion

Agreed

Mylan posted:

This game is great fun. Here's my wishlist for improvements though:

1) More maps. I know they've said they're working on a new one, so hurray.

2) Randomize maps option. Seems like a no-brainer, bonus points for the option to disallow maps of your choice from rotation.

3) Crewmate roles. Some minor special powers on the crewmate side could help spice things up a bit. Especially if there's a option to make roles enabled, disabled, or random, so you wouldn't know from game to game if there even are any roles present. Ideally, crewmate roles shouldn't have obvious tells that prove who they are. A few possibilities off the top of my head: Forensics officer - if they report a body, only they see a few highlighted names on the vote screen; one of those is the imposter that killed that body. Engineer - can completely fix a 2 part emergency task by fixing just one part. Security - vision radius unaffected by the lights sabotage.

Some good ideas

Gone Fashing posted:

This one is pretty good too:

https://discord.gg/HQvsE97

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Having one or two crew with individual goals that don't fully sync with the group goals would be frustratingly good. Regular crew but they have one specific task to accomplish in order to win. Make sure a specific crewmate gets killed/vented. Manually sabotage one item on the ship. Etc etc 'I'm not the imp! I just had to do this one thing!'

It'd become really messy so maybe not.

Also ghosts need something interesting to do. Finishing your tasks is boring, maybe let them close doors or something.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Kazy posted:

Oh that's a different one than the first one I tried to join. It had 600k members and was completely full.

maybe it's not actually the official one. regardless it's got a lot of people playing all the time

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Playing 'hide and seek' mode is really fun if you do it with people on discord, especially people who aren't so interested in the debate side or who aren't actually any good at the game, because you can chatter the whole time and react to your untimely death without spoiling the game. Basically swap imposter and crewmate vision (so imposters have a sight handicap), 10 second kill cooldown, no reporting and no emergency missions, no sabotages that'll instantly end the game, the imposter announces they're the imposter at the start and counts down 10 seconds to give everyone time to run, and then it's all benny hill killing vs task completion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

coolusername posted:

Playing 'hide and seek' mode is really fun if you do it with people on discord, especially people who aren't so interested in the debate side or who aren't actually any good at the game, because you can chatter the whole time and react to your untimely death without spoiling the game. Basically swap imposter and crewmate vision (so imposters have a sight handicap), 10 second kill cooldown, no reporting and no emergency missions, no sabotages that'll instantly end the game, the imposter announces they're the imposter at the start and counts down 10 seconds to give everyone time to run, and then it's all benny hill killing vs task completion.

Wouldn't the killer simply need to wait in Engineering to kill everyone?