Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

GreenNight posted:

I'm of the exact opposite opinion. I preferred this than her coming out singing a song on a piano or something.

Oh that would have been awful as well. I was thinking how they had Rodney do standup from heaven after he died, or just like say “hey we loved rbg and and she thought this sketch was funny” and replayed it or something.

E: vvv yeah I remember it with horror.

hanales fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

hanales posted:

Oh that would have been awful as well.

I believe GreenNight was referencing this little piece of embarrassment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-_ZDrypec

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/snl-morgan-wallen-musical-guest-partying-covid-19.html

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
and he's gone https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/snl-morgan-wallen-musical-guest-covid-canceled.html

When was the last time there was a late musical guest substitution? Could they even do one with these protocols? They probably can't have Alec Baldwin fill in for the musical guest. Think they'll just stitch in a Zoom call with Coldplay or whatever?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Hope you guys like Paul Simon

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Sivart13 posted:

and he's gone https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/snl-morgan-wallen-musical-guest-covid-canceled.html

When was the last time there was a late musical guest substitution? Could they even do one with these protocols? They probably can't have Alec Baldwin fill in for the musical guest. Think they'll just stitch in a Zoom call with Coldplay or whatever?

Not necessarily a late substitution, but when Donald Trump’s 2004 show was announced on-air (I think three weeks in advance?) there was no musical guest yet booked. Toots and the Maytals ended up playing, and that felt like a real late booking.

Also: SNL is paying audience members

This is to get around New York’s rules, which state that no live audiences are permitted except crew.

Pretty lovely move by the show.

Edit: How could I forget, Sinead O’Conner famously refused to appear with host Andrew Dice Clay, which gave the world its first (and last) taste of Spanic Boys, thanks to the SNL Band’s G. E. Smith, who got them the last-minute gig. It was a double booking, and Julee Cruise was the other act, performing “Falling,” the theme song from Twin Peaks.

Edit 2: As such, I propose that the SNL Band gets to play two full songs on-air this week.

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 8, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

pwn posted:

Not necessarily a late substitution, but when Donald Trump’s 2004 show was announced on-air (I think three weeks in advance?) there was no musical guest yet booked. Toots and the Maytals ended up playing, and that felt like a real late booking.

Also: SNL is paying audience members

This is to get around New York’s rules, which state that no live audiences are permitted except crew.

Pretty lovely move by the show.

Just use a laugh track, it wouldn’t make the shows any more lifeless than they are already.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Also, god willing, this week we will get the Valerie Bertinelli episode from 1987 in the Vintage slot, so that we can all finally have a non-potato quality version of “Stompin’ 8H.”*

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/that-time-eddie-van-halen-became-an-snl-musical-guest-just-because-he-was-in-the-building

And hey, the official musical guest was Robert Cray Band, not bad either.

*Yes, NBC has it on their site, but I want one I can RECORD and KEEP, okay

Edit: Oh yeah, Notre Dame Football is on Saturday. :eng99:

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 8, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Hockles posted:

I loving wish he would...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Vin Diesel just released an album..

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hockles posted:

He was in one of my favorite sketches ever the one where he remembers everyone who comes up to him while he's in line to see a movie except Art Garfunkel.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

It'll be Steve Martin playing the banjo and you know it

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

is Cardi B currently in New York? they should get her if she is.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just rewatched the sketch I posted about earlier, it's still amazing

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/fans/n9497

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

On 12/01/2001 Derek Jeter hosted SNL with musical guests Shakira and Bubba Sparxx. That is the most 2001 thing I can imagine. It's like beyond parody.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

On 12/01/2001 Derek Jeter hosted SNL with musical guests Shakira and Bubba Sparxx. That is the most 2001 thing I can imagine. It's like beyond parody.

I bet there was at least one awkward post-9/11 moment of patriotism too, really putting it over the top

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

I bet there was at least one awkward post-9/11 moment of patriotism too, really putting it over the top

Oh there's absolutely a sketch where Will Ferrell plays Osama bin Laden with Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers as his bearded, AK-47-toting henchmen.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hockles posted:

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

It'll be Steve Martin playing the banjo and you know it

I kinda want both of these now.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

In case anyone was wondering, the replacement music guest will be Jack White.

https://pitchfork.com/news/jack-white-replaces-morgan-wallen-as-snl-musical-guest/

pwn
May 27, 2004

Now this is an upgrade over lukewarm country gravy.

https://twitter.com/thirdmanrecords/status/1314646363917955072?s=21

The best possible replacement, second only to the impossible-since-1977 prospect of letting the house band play a number. I’m so stoked.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Gone are the 15-second teases. Tonight they’re 10 seconds long. Be sure to update your logs

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
holy poo poo another new snl already when the last one still feels like it aired yesterday

here's to maya and bennett putting on a good vp debate sketch

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The writers clearly love Kamala too much to ever do anything funny with her

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
plz no baldwin

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

General Dog posted:

The writers clearly love Kamala too much to ever do anything funny with her

yeah they should have gone with "Kamala huffed too much lysol backstage" as the character note from this instead of "The One Sane Woman" that we're getting

edit: I assume Tina Fey guest-wrote that Pennsylvania-speak

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 11, 2020

pwn
May 27, 2004

I hate it when they explain the joke they’re about to do.

“We think you’re too stupid to understand what the joke may be, so here: A labored preface.”

pwn
May 27, 2004

The moderator didn’t ask her that question. Mike Pence did

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

come on now, everyone knows that it's only horses that Mike Pence has eyes for

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
i hope the show didn't sprain smtg reaching for this fly gag

that is a terrible goldblum carrey's doin

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I don't know how much they're paying Jim Carrey to do this but I will pay him that exact amount plus a nickel to stop

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I knew how they were going to get a fly in there as soon as I saw the edge of the teleporter prop.

Technically he's a Bidenfly, but... nope, he's Brundlejoe.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I’m not watching the sketch, but I’m guessing the rhythms of it are Pence says something ridiculous and then Kamala looks at the camera and says “can you believe what I have to put up with?”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

General Dog posted:

I’m not watching the sketch, but I’m guessing the rhythms of it are Pence says something ridiculous and then Kamala looks at the camera and says “can you believe what I have to put up with?”

no they went half-way with that and then went into a totally unfunny and only vaguely explicable series of The Fly jokes complete with Jim Carrey doing a terrible Jeff Goldblum impression and Kenan showing up as Herman Cain

I wish that was a joke

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

General Dog posted:

Ugh, why is so much comedy like that these days

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Jim Carey > Baldwin

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Well that’s fun

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I completely forgot Burr was hosting tonight until they announced him.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
save us bill burr ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

like there's a lot of places you could go with that VP debate but I think everyone knew the moment that fly landed and started trending on Twitter that SNL was gonna dress someone up in a fly costume and apparently Kenan drew the short straw this week

and then Jim Carrey showed up and said "well poo poo if we're out here making people rethink our comedic talent I want in on that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
They made the audience wear masks this week.